Iced-anime
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-25-2016, 02:08 AM

Solanin, which is a live-action adaptation of a manga. It reminded me of a lot of indie films I've seen, where this couple are struggling to find happiness in their daily lives. Something tragic happens mid-film, and it changes the lives of all the main characters. It's pretty good actually. Out of 10, I'd give it an 8, because it's not perfect obviously.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-25-2016, 12:27 PM

Just Saw Moana on Friday

Very classic Disney style. Great visuals. The water and reef scenes look fantastic. So much so that I kinda wish they'd do a Little Mermaid remake in the 3D style. Would be SO epic! I think Shiny Crab was my favorite character. (Not it's actual name but w/e)

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 01-12-2017, 12:40 PM

The mocking Jay part 1. Second time I saw it because my dad didn't believe we saw it before. Definitely the best of the series so far. The beginning is confusing to watch especially after a break between movies because it offers zero recap and it wasn't any less confusing the second time but the emotions still get me.
9/10

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 01-12-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 01-20-2017, 07:14 AM

La La Land
Overall I give a a solid "Incredibly fun, but not without flaws".

I loved Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies growing up so when I first saw the trailers for this I was like heck yeah, a modernized throwback to the classics. Into. It. But the thing about those Fred and Ginger movies that made them great was the fact that they were able to pull off these dances that were impressive on a technical level and make them look effortless. This movie's choreography was lazy at best. This is a criticism that not a lot of people would probably care about, but when you've got experience in theatre, ballroom, and hiphop dancing and grew up watching such Top Tier work it's a total let down.

Also I quite enjoy Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling and they did a good job with the acting portion, but I still couldn't really shake the feeling that they were kind of a miscast? I totally respect Ryan Gosling's musicality though because I'm familiar with his background as a musician and you can tell he's actually playing the piano in the movie. So points to him.

The cinematography was pretty great, but when it's by the same directer as Whiplash (2014) I was already expecting that. Also: Film references. So many film references. Random ones, too. But they were all for the most part pretty subtle and didn't draw too much attention to themselves unless you knew what you were looking at.

Also I've lowkey had the soundtrack stuck in my head for the past twenty four hours so hey props to the composer.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 01-24-2017, 04:59 AM

Just saw Hidden Figures today.

After being so hyped for this movie for so long I was ecstatic when this movie was just as good as I hoped it'd be. I adore the three main actresses and they definitely killed it in this movie. It's also great to see a largely ignored story from history be told. I high key recommend this movie to everyone.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Our lastest netflixs movie was Fantastic Four. The more recent one.

While it started off on a pretty good note and much of it was pretty decent, it ended up too rushed and it was short. :/ It was still better than the previous ones made, but I ended up disappointed at the end of the villain fight. However, it did a much better job of developing the characters. If it's a prologue then that's fine. Just give me the other half of the movie already!!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 02-12-2017, 07:01 PM

Last night I had on The Darkness

It was interesting. It included a child with autism and was about how he took ancient stones from a burrel ground. I didn't find it scary I was more interested in if they got the mythology on the tribe that was haunting him right.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 02-21-2017, 12:24 AM

I just watched "Monster in Paris" yesterday on netflix. I fully enjoy the pun filled movie so I have to give it a decent rating. it's not mainstream brand like disney or fox or something. But it's an amazing movie nonethe less. The animation style is fantastic. I fully enjoy the movie. And its a Phantom of the Opera in France feel to it. It's just such a sweet movie. I have rewatched it several times since i discovered it a couple years ago.
Yes the voice actors don't sound french as my friends pointed out last night. But it didn't really take away anything for me. Any writing you see in the movie like signs and newspapers and maps ARE written in French, which is cool. :]

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-06-2017, 04:46 PM

I did a double feature with John Wick Chapter 2 and Hidden Figures. Both incredble movies. 10/10 would laugh/cry/scream again.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 08-18-2017, 03:00 PM

Saw Dunkirk.

I liked the way Nolan used time as a framing device because leave it to him to pick a nonlinear narrative in a war film. The cinematography was gorgeous and it was like they told Hans Zimmer to put an anxiety attack to music. The frame could have literally nothing threatening in it and then suddenly that music would kick in and it'd be like Here Comes The Stress.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 08-27-2017, 09:53 PM

I finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

I loved it! :D

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 AM

I want to see that one still. The most recent NEW movie I've seen is Deadpool. which made me cry. it was such a sweet movie <3 I loved it.

However the most recent movie was actually Sing >.> because i have toddlers and we watch animated shows constantly. and yesterday was laundry day. which meant sitting on the couch for several hours.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 09-03-2017, 03:51 AM

The Hitman's Bodyguard

I went in expecting a fun movie, not a work of art, which is exactly what it gave me. There were some genuinely hilarious parts, some dark moments(the bad guy is someone on trial for war crimes, so not too unexpected), and the relationship between Samuel L Jackson and Salma Hayek's characters was unexpectedly kind of adorable?

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 09-09-2017, 10:25 PM

I'm currently watching Hercules which of course is a fantastic movie. 10/10 :P

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-09-2017, 10:27 PM

Death Note. I kind of fell into it on Netflix and it's a great movie, very entertaining. I highly recommend it.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM

is it to terribly different from the anime?

Consarn
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-12-2017, 02:30 AM

I saw the new IT.
Definitely less cheesy than the original but I'll always have a soft spot for Tim Curry.
I don't really get scared by horror movies but I could definitely see this movie getting to people.
Then again clowns..... I feel like clowns will always be creepy.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 09-20-2017, 03:18 AM

I just saw Darren Aronofsky's latest film Mother!

I'm not going to lie, I'm still kind of processing this one. I totally understand the allegory (it's not subtle, lol), but at the same time this movie was so wild. The third act earned that exclamation point, that's for sure. Just like a lot of Darren Aronofsky's movies I found that I really enjoyed the experience, but I can definitely understand why some people are put off by it.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 09-27-2017, 02:31 PM

i'm watching sims 4 hunger games. xD

Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 10-01-2017, 01:00 AM

I most recently saw "IT." I prefer the TV miniseries from the 90s but the new movie was pretty good. I liked that they changed the setting to the 80s instead of the 50s; it was more relatable to me that way. lol They also made it more of a comedy than a horror film. I wasn't even disappointed because it was so funny and the kids were so charming.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 10-05-2017, 03:46 AM

Just saw Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

It was a total sequel. Which isn't the worst thing because it was super fun, but I felt like it hit a lot of the same beats as the first movie. While the movie did expand the universe a little with the addition of the Statesmen it still felt kind of samey. I was, however, super guilty for giving heart eyes to Pedro Pascal the whole time. Gosh that man is pretty to look at (and he's a good actor, double win).

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 10-07-2017, 07:33 AM

I finally watched the Netflix adaptation of Death Note after hearing so much about it.

Honestly watching this movie slightly tipsy with a friend was an A+ way to spend a Friday night. I probably would have not finished it otherwise. If you look at it as an adaptation, it fails to capture anything about the original that made it compelling. If you ignore the fact that it's an adaptation it fails on every level of story telling. Nothing builds, there's no clear motivations. It just feels like a series of things happening with no rhyme or reason. There's a few interesting moments of cinematography, but other than that it's just a complete waste. The ending is almost artfully baffling. Like... wow. It is a whole lot of stupid. There's a potential twist in there that could have been Actually Interesting, but because there was no build it was awful. That and it led into that absolutely nonsensical climax. Gosh. That movie defies genre because it absolutely failed to capture the essence of any genre. It's just-- wow.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-13-2017, 07:49 PM

The kingsman: golden circle

Honestly, I adore this movie. I was worried going in that I was going to see a bunch of american cowboy cliches and get irritated. But as usual, the jokes were so over the top that they were amazing. I laughed, I cringed, I was thoroughly entertained. This movie was at least as good as the first.

sailor star rainbow
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 10-14-2017, 11:36 PM

My Little Pony the Movie. great movie had a great plot lots of music. good kids movie is they are pony fans, are girls. it has a lot of action plus you get. to see new parts of their world you never seen before.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 10-26-2017, 05:47 AM

I just saw Blade Runner 2046 and honestly it's not getting the attention it deserves. Sure, it's getting pretty good reviews from the critics, but it hasn't been doing too well in the box office. Then again, at 2 hours and 45 minutes I can see the run time intimidating some from seeing it in theaters. Also... Unnecessary Sequel.

But honestly? This was probably one of the best sequels I've seen. Especially since the first film came out in 1982 and has always had a special place in my heart. You don't really need to see the first one to get the story since they do a pretty good job telling you the things you need to know, but the whole thing definitely has more meaning if you have seen the first.

The cinematography was GORGEOUS. GOSH. WOW. 10/10 for that alone. Then again, the director also did Arrival and Prisoners, so, I wasn't surprised by that. Also the music was fantastic A+ good job Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch, you've done it again.