geminick
Art & BJD Nerd Deluxe

Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Hi everyone!

I recently finished uploading my first two Monster High doll OOAK repaints to my Etsy shop and decided to ask around on here if anyone's into repainting Monster High dolls?

If yes, do you have a portfolio or someplace where I can see them? I'd love to check them out. :)

I'm not a pro at all, like I said, I just started out, so don't feel shy to share your stuff!

Here are mine, by the way.

Anyone? :)

Penella Goldeater
*^_^*

Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 AM

Those are great!! I've been thinking about getting into altered dolls. I sort of used to do it when I was a kid... let's just say I had more than a few gothic barbies when I hit my teens. How do you do the hair? I mean I know that's a loaded question and you don't have to give a tutorial or anything but I'm curious. Can you give me an outline maybe. Like an idea of the process?

geminick
Art & BJD Nerd Deluxe

Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM

Thank you! ^^

Unfortunately, I didn't make those two wigs, they were bought from another maker. However, I intend to start doing my own wigs for them, since I do know how. ^^ Here is a link to a tutorial about how to make mohair wigs the way I do; Making a Mohair Wig for your Fashion Doll . There are also other ways, of course, so here is a different one; Tiny Mohair Wig Tutorial - Antique Lilac .
But these are just if you're going to create a wig. You could always give them permanent hair by pulling out all of the hair the factory put there and root in new strands of hair. Here you have a tutorial on how to fully customize a Monster High doll, including rerooting her hair; Nuu's Cusps: Doll Customising: Monster High Dolls - Prepping and Rerooting .

I actually never altered any of my Barbies as a kid, but I do remember wanting to. I guess I didn't want to ruin them haha! Instead, I ended up getting into Ball Jointed Dolls and painted them all myself - I'm quite picky about that, so I figured it'd be best to learn how to paint them myself. Besides, it has saved me a LOT of money in the process!

Penella Goldeater
*^_^*

Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 AM

I bet it saved you a ton. BJD are crazy expensive. Gorgeous but crazy expensive.

Thanks for all the links and stuff, you rock. I don't know when or if I'll get to do anything with them but I really appreciate the effort. My brother was the first to ruin my barbs but I went ahead and finished the job. I thought they were cool but my mom hated them. Frankenbarbies.

The hair was always interesting to me. Like when I'd cut it down and have my shaven-head alternative Barbies - I always looked at those little holes and thought it'd be cool to put something through. I was basically thinking about re-wigging I guess but didn't pursue it.

geminick
Art & BJD Nerd Deluxe

Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 AM

Aye, yes it did. And aye, yes they are. But I love them anyway. X)

No problem, hopefully you can find them informative and useful! I know I did, at least.
Haha yeah, Barbies.. I actually found my old ones today and brought them with me to my new apartment! I'm going to see if I can fix them up or something, simply... because. CHILDHOOD MEMORIES OMG!

Mhmm, same here, I was thinking about it too, but.. I didn't stay focused enough to start doing it I guess, haha. And I suppose I was too young. Or something.

geminick
Art & BJD Nerd Deluxe

Old 08-22-2014, 07:52 AM

No one interested in this kind of stuff? :B What a shame...

Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 PM

I had a Monster High Jackson I repainted/redressed to look like Per Yngve Ohlin, but I gave him to a friend who was a bigger Mayhem fan than I. I might make another at some point, but it's hard to say. All the wigs and clothes and stuff already out there are wicked expensive. It took me three months to make the first one, and that was because I'd only have so much per month to spend on his accesories.

geminick
Art & BJD Nerd Deluxe

Old 09-01-2014, 05:56 PM

Per Yngve Ohlin? Wow. Swedish musician huh? Neat.

But yeah, it can get sort of expensive. Then again, I fiddle around with resin BJDs, so... Ehehehe.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 12-16-2014, 10:49 PM

geminick: Oddly it never occurred to me to do this. Tell me more. What type of paint do you use?

My daughters are currently huge monster high doll fans so I have a TON of them floating around the house. Multiples of specific dolls even. (Mostly Laguna and Draculaura) and I think it would be AMAZING to give each of them a custom done up doll.