Head Librarian
Reading is fundamental
NPC

Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 PM

Come and discuss Solia here.

Another avatar site with the ability to customize your avatar to suit yourself. It features the ability to wear "one" of a pair (for instance, a blue spotted sock and a red and white striped sock instead of both blue-spotted socks or both striped socks).

Coco Berry
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 PM

Ah! I love Solia. That's like my home.
My name there is Coco Berry

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to poet`s playground Send a message via Yahoo to poet`s playground

Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 PM

I miss Torn Faun. Solia as a site, ignoring the people on it, is better, but between the way that it seems to operate and the people there, I find myself getting rather lost and disassociating myself with it. I still log on regularly, but rarely step outside of my few sparse haunts.

Jennifer
High fives are pretty great!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 PM

I miss playing Sudoku on TornFaun. That was rather fun for me. I can't say I miss the avatars however. I LOVE the avatars over on Solia. But the fact that it's rather similar to Gaia is just off putting for me. Like poet, I just log on once in a great while. Just to see what's up and whatnot.

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to poet`s playground Send a message via Yahoo to poet`s playground

Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 PM

I wouldn't mind so much if it was like Gaia in certain ways, such as letting users know what's going on frequently, and allowing for a spam forum, etc. (I, unlike many on smaller sites, actually do still enjoy Gaia and feel that while there are negative aspects among the users, the site itself is still pretty well done), but most of the elements seem to be very much attempts to grab Gaia's users and claim itself as the singular "superior" and "end all, be all" of avatar sites. Yes, the art is very well done. Yes, it is mainly tight in terms of coding, etc., but there is a loss in the sense of actually having a place in the community as an individual. There is very little that one person can do to affect or influence the site at all, and in such an early stage I would say that's a very bad thing.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-26-2009, 11:40 PM

The avies on there are quite attractive, nice hair, though the posture bothers me greatly. I really dislike the system for the facial features though, you just about go blind picking them because they're so damn small, and only being able to equip bra OR panties is beyond odd.

Leela
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Leela

Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 PM

I also miss the community TornFaun had, over Solia's. I do not go outside of my few threads much and I find I spend less and less time there.
I am rather unhappy with a few things.
Pretty avis will only go so far...

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-27-2009, 12:46 AM

Yeah, Solia is "shiny" and all that on the surface, but I notice a lot of grumbling about a lot of things on there. Growing elitism being one of them : /

[Hero]
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 AM

I dunno, I found Solia really laid back, which is a something I rarely find anymore. But, then again, I never really go into any of the hangout threads or anything, which is most likely where the place gets real clique-y.

However, I do have a feeling that the owners of Solia don't care so much about what the users think. Not that they won't listen to them, but I have doubts that they would do something, if the users were opposed to it. (A prime example being the Soap Box, which people have constantly wanted renamed to be the Soap Box again.)

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 02-27-2009, 02:36 AM

I have a Solia account... But I never go there. I donated for some of their first donation items because they were super pretty -- the solar leader wings and the sparkly pendant thing. I don't know how I feel about the avatars. There's just something about them that I don't like. I feel like the shading is fuzzy and it seems like they lose detail pixeling that way. Like their faces are all blurry or something. The pose is also pretty static...

I did have a good experience with one of the admins though, so I do appreciate that. :D

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 AM

Their stuff isn't pixeled Sizz, that's why it's fuzzy.

Leela
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Leela

Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 AM

I believe Solia's avatars and items would be cg'd rather then pixel?

I just really dislike the Toy capsules system.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-27-2009, 02:40 AM

Yeah. CG work, same as Gaia's.

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 AM

Yeah, that system seems really really risky, and it's probably meant (again) to ape some of the features of Gaia, but again it's done in poorer taste and just looks bad.

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 02-27-2009, 03:02 AM

Oh, they're CGed? Well that makes sense then. :yes:

What's up with the capsules?

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:03 AM

I don't know much about them, I just know that people pay real money and it's basically a gamble.

I agree about the CGed avatars, though. They look kind of weird. It's again like they're trying too hard.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 AM

I always feel like I need glasses when I look at Solia avatars. I do not disagree that they are pretty. But it's like I'm looking at an Impressionistic painting. The longer I look at them, the more I feel like things are blurring... It's a little disorienting.

I don't have an account there, but I think I might have drawn someone's avatar from there once? Or something. For whatever reason, I went to look through their art forums and I got so lost and the site kept crashing that I eventually gave up.

The only time I go back anymore is when they come out with their monthly items and someone remembers to link me. ;p

I kind of want to get into it because they come out with some seriously pretty things and I like the idea of being able to equip one glove or one stocking on one leg and something else on the other. But from what I hear, it's quite a bit buggy even still, so I'd rather not bother.

Jennifer

Old 02-27-2009, 03:08 AM

I haven't ever stared at them long enough for it to bother me really. I really adore a lot of the items over there. They're really cute. And homg, that Twilight's Keepsake item. :drool: So fricken expensive though. It's like the St. Valentine's Hairpin of Menewsha, haha.

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:14 AM

There are a lot of really expensive items there, it's kind of sad, really.

Jennifer

Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 AM

But to be honest, in some ways, it's rather easy to make gold when posting there. Although, I think I read somewhere that the gold decreases the more you post. I guess having all those expensive items should be expected. Considering that there are limited quantities of the much older ones. Solia started out really tiny just like Menewsha. But with it's verrrrry flexible rules and the fact that the spam forum and the ability to create as many mules as you want is dragging users in so quickly...*breathes* Those older items are bound to skyrocket to a ridiculous price.

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 AM

It's easy to make gold posting if you can find enough places where you feel comfortable posting. It's very hard, however, when you run into a lot of cliques and takling about things that don't interest you.

Jennifer

Old 02-27-2009, 04:44 AM

Doesn't the gold decrease the more you post though?

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 AM

Yeah, it does. And that would be another reason you can only earn so much gold from just posting alone.

Jennifer

Old 02-27-2009, 05:03 AM

Other than posting, there doesn't seem to be any other great ways to earn gold however.

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 02-27-2009, 05:25 AM

Yeah, but if you're going to go by that alone, then it does in fact take quite a long time to gain the amounts that some items cost.