Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 10-14-2015, 10:57 PM

Elmsly Manor has been the home of the Earls of Rathingar for centuries. It is old and outmoded, so it is not surprising that the young and beautiful socialite that the current earl married was not happy there. It was not long after Leonard Barrons, Earl of Rathingar married Anna Smythe, that there first and only child was born, and rumors flew that it had been a marriage to avoid shame, rather then one of love. Soon after Anna began to spend more and more time in London, and it was common knowlege that she was not faithful to her husband. Thus, when she died from falling down a flight of stairs, five years into the marriage, rumor said that he had been responsible, although an inquiry by police found him blameless.

The truth, however, may be stranger then fiction. No one has seen Lord Rathingar between the hours of dawn and dusk since his wife's death, and the people of the local village now avoid Elmsly Manor at all costs. But Leanna, Leonard's daughter, still needs cared for, and educated as befits a woman of her station. This he has hired a governess, from York, a certain Miss Joanna Bronte.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-14-2015, 11:09 PM

Name: Leonard Barrons, Earl of Rathingar

Appearance: Lord Rathingar is a striking man with short cropped brown hair with a hint of red. His expression is generally dour, except when interacting with his daughter. He dresses with in a style elegant in its simplicity, although he risks scandal by refusing to wear morning colors for his lost wife.

History: Lord Rathingar was once the catch of the season. Young, handsome, rich, and most of all an Earl. Throw in his charm and good humor, and debutantes swooned at the idea of a dance with him, even if his obsessive tinkering with clockwork and the newest gadgets was somewhat unseemly in a gentleman of rank. Leonard only had eyes for one woman, Anna Smythe. She wrapped him around her little finger, and it was only after they were married that he saw her for what she was: a manipulative, gold-digging, social climber of the worst sort. Love, or rather infatuation, quickly turned to hate. Leonard retreated to the west wing of Elmsly Manor, where his library, laboratory and workshop were located. He only came out to spend time with Leanna, the only blessing Anna had brought into his life.

Personality: Before his marriage, Leonard was charming, and had a knack for making people laugh, but since his wife’s passing, he has not smiled or laughed. His manner is extremely serious, and he has little patience with people, particularly if he feels they are acting foolishly.

Kory

Old 10-14-2015, 11:20 PM

Name: Joanna Bronte
Appearance: Joanna is a rather petite woman with long, blonde hair. She often appears friendly and confident with a warm smile. Her eyes are brown, but they have been known to shine into a beautiful hazel on some occasions. She wears light colored clothing at all times. She can be compared to a beacon of light.
History: Joanna was born and raised in York, a city of history and mystery. Still, she'd always wanted to travel and leave the comfort of her hometown to see new faces. She is very friendly in nature and her curiosity often becomes her downfall. Because she hasn't had very much time with suitors, she has had the opportunity to educate herself and later became a governess. She'd serviced quite a few homes in York, but through some act of miraculous fate, she'd been informed of a position elsewhere. Joanna jumped to the chance to leave home and see someplace new. She felt welcomed in the home of Earl Leonard Barrons, but she is unaware of the strange happenings of the house, not until it becomes more evident.
Personality: Joanna is a friendly, warm, caring person. She values her friends and family and likes to think that she is friends with everyone she comes in contact with.

Last edited by Kory; 09-21-2016 at 11:57 PM..

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-15-2015, 12:22 AM

Leonard stood, or appeared to stand, on the steps leading to the entrance of Elmsly Manor, waiting impatiently for the steam carriage he had sent for Miss Johanna Bronte to arrive. It was a crisp autumn night, and much as Leanna had wanted to stay up to greet her new governess, he had sent her to bed. Rain was threatening, and he would not have his daughter catch her death in the cold and wet, not if he could prevent it.

He wasn’t sure what compelled him to stand outside waiting for Miss Bronte. It was late enough that she would surely wish to seek her bed as soon as possible, and his housekeeper, Mrs. Browne, was more than capable of seeing the woman to her room and directing his small staff to bring whatever possessions she had brought to her. And yet, he took a risk and stood on the steps, the wind blowing falling leaves around him. A careful observer might note that his clothing did not so much as twitch in the same wind that sent the leaves swirling so.

Leonard unconsciously began to reach for his pocket watch before remembering that it would not show the correct time. Surely, Miss Bronte should be here by now. Perhaps the train had been delayed for some reason?

Kory

Old 10-15-2015, 01:31 AM

"Oh, wait, please!" Joanna called to the conductor. The train hadn't moved yet, but she knew she was still running late. Quite frankly, Joanna took too long to pack, she hadn't left home before and wasn't sure of all the things she'd need living in a strange house. She carried with her a large trunk of clothing and necessities. Joanna had actually purchased this trunk new for the journey.

She ran towards the bus, trying to carry her skirts and her trunk at the same time, though it proved to be rather difficult. "Please wait!" She continued to call. Thankfully, the conductor must have heard her, for the train didn't make a move. By the time Joanna had reached the doors of the train, she was out of breath. Her boots felt too tight as she wiggled into the train, stumbling over her skirts and her trunk as she came closer to her seat. The other people on the train looked a little annoyed, but Joanna didn't notice it.

She found her seat and gently pushed her trunk underneath the seat next to her. She let out a long sigh and brushed some loose hairs behind her ear. She felt bad that she was going to show up to her new employer's home with her hair messy and her clothes dirty, but such is life when you're in a rush. The train slowly dragged out of the station and she stared out of the window, letting her imagination run wild, wondering what the Elmsly Manor looked like.

. . .

The sound of the engine brakes woke Joanna. She didn't even notice she'd fallen asleep until she was wide awake at the station. The sun was already setting and she knew she didn't have much time to grab her things and head out of the train to make her way to the Elmsy Manor. Still, she did her best to move as quickly as possible. Grabbing her trunk and running out of the train, she caught a carriage to talk her towards the manor.

This city was so beautiful, not very different from York, but different enough. When the carriage pulled up in front of Elmsy Manor, Joanna stepped out, taking her trunk with her and offering the carriage driver some extra money for their kindness. She could faintly make out the figure of a person standing on the steps and she waved to them, shouting,

"Hello! I'm so sorry I'm late... This is my first time traveling!" She dragged her trunk along her side with one hand while her other held up her skirts. "You must be Mr. Barrons?" She came closer, offering her hand to him. "I'm so very pleased to be working for an Earl. I promise," She smiled wider, "I promise I will be the best governess you've seen here yet."

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-15-2015, 02:04 AM

Leonard frowned, eyeing the proffered hand disdainfully. He could, with an effort of will, make himself solid to the touch, but why expend the effort? “The proper address would be ‘Lord Rathingar’, if you please.” Why did the woman have to be so blasted cheerful? Still, he supposed it would be good for Leanna. His daughter had had too much tragedy in her life, and perhaps this woman could bring joy back to Leanna’s eyes. He frowned and straightened his coat, before sighing. “I am quite sure, given the references I received, you will do an impeccable job. Being the best governess I’ve ever seen here, however, is not a particularly difficult task, as you will be the first one at Elmsly Manor since I was a small child.”

He paused searching the woman’s irritatingly cheerful face. “There are two iron clad rules that you will obey if you wish to remain in your position. First, as I do not approve of corporeal punishment, do not dare to lay an unkind hand on my daughter. Second, I reserve the west wing for my own use. Do not enter it under any condition.” He nodded to himself. “If we are lucky, we will see little of each other outside of the two hours after dinner I spend with my daughter each night, although I will expect a weekly report on Leanna’s progress with her studies and her general well being.”

Leonard snapped his fingers, and Mrs. Browne, who had been watching from the entrance hall, came out. He ignored the disapproving look she gave him. He knew he was being insufferably rude, but it wouldn’t do to give an impressionable young woman the impression that he was a warm and friendly man, or give her ideas above her station. “This is Mrs. Browne, my housekeeper. She will introduce you to the rest of the staff, and take you to your rooms. My daughter’s rooms are connected to yours, please take care not to wake her before morning.”

Kory

Old 10-15-2015, 03:04 PM

Joanna's smile faded for a moment. "Oh, I apologize, Lord Rathingar. I meant no disrespect." She smiled again, her usually cheery disposition returning to her. Honestly, she was too excited to feel dejected towards the the Lord's attitude. Still, she knew eventually, once he saw her hard work, he'd grow to like her. Well, that was how she felt about everyone she met.

She listened to the rules carefully. Both of them, she felt confident she'd never break. She didn't believe in corporeal punishment either, even if she wanted to. She could never raise a hand at a child. Or anyone or anything for that matter. She took mental note of that rule and smiled again, she was rather excited to meet the little Leanna.

Joanna curtsied for Mrs. Browne, that happy smile still glued to her face. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Ma'am." She followed Mrs. Browne for a moment. Carrying her trunk at her side, partially dragging is since it was a bit too heavy for her to lift. After a few seconds of following the housekeeper, she turned around to speak to Mr. Barrons once again,

"I will gladly uphold the rules, Lord Rathingar. From now on, this house will be filled with nothing but love and friendship." She beamed at that. Joanna was very happy to make this home a place of comfort and cheerfulness. She found herself getting all the more excited to meet Leanna, but it was certainly late and she'd have to calm her excitement until tomorrow, at least. "If you don't mind, perhaps later, I'd like to ask about Leanna. I would just like some details about her so I can provide the best education I can for her." Joanna set down her trunk for a short while as she talked, "I want little Leanna to have the best environment to learn, one she'll be comfortable with and one that will be warm and loving. If it's not too much trouble, perhaps before I settle in for bed, I'd love to hear of her favorite things, her personality and the like."

Joanna was too excited for morning, she probably wouldn't get much sleep that night.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-15-2015, 05:06 PM

Leonard inwardly groaned at her cheerfulness. Fortunately, he wouldn’t have to spend too much time in the woman’s company, and Leanna needed warmth and love that he was no longer equipped to give her. He frowned thoughtfully at Miss Bronte’s request. “I suppose that would be for the best. I will wait in the main library for you to get settled. Please knock before you enter, I will be working on a clockwork toy for Leanna, and if disturbed at the wrong moment, springs and cogs might go flying.” Also, it wouldn’t due for her to walk in while he was anything less than fully corporeal. “Do you have any lesson plans prepared already?”

A thought occurred to him. “It occurs to me that I should perhaps inquire as to your political leanings, as well. Although she is young, one of my habits is to read the paper with Leanna every evening before bed. I omit the more gruesome and scandalous stories, but I want her to be aware of current events as she grows.” He paused. “But we can discuss that after you are settled. Mrs. Brown, please assist Miss Bronte in settling her things, and, when she ready, bring her to the library.”

Kory

Old 10-15-2015, 05:43 PM

Joanna's smile brightened. "You remind me so much of my own father, you know, he used to make clockwork toys for me as well. He was very handy." Joanna wasn't expecting the next question, though, she didn't know why she wasn't expecting it. After all, she brought up the subject.... "Uhm..." Joanna stuttered a little when Lord Rathingar suggested she had a lesson plan already. "... Uhm, no, actually. I prefer to create each lesson plan after meeting the children I work with. It allows me to individualize their education to suit them."

"Oh, my Lord, I assure you, I have very little political views, I try my best not to get involved with such interests. However, I can keep Leanna informed of all that goes on in her world, so long as it pleases you that she knows." With that, Joanna picked up her trunk and curtsied as best as she could. "I look forward to speaking with you later, Lord Rathingar." She curtsied again and busied herself with following Mrs. Browne to her rooms.

As she followed Mrs. Browne she couldn't help but ask questions, "How long have you worked for Lord Rathingar, Mrs. Browne? This is such a beautiful home... I wonder how many rooms there are."

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-15-2015, 06:48 PM

Mrs. Browne, a plump middle aged woman, smiled at the new governess’ questions. “I’ve worked at Elmsly Manor my whole life, Miss, and my mother before me. It is indeed a lovely place, but it needs a great deal of modernization. It is well and past time that we had gas lights, and all the modern conveniences, but Lord Rathingar is dead set against it.” She sighed looking lost in thought for a moment. “That’s a story for another day... I don’t know as I’ve ever counted exactly how many rooms there are, but I’d guess upwards of a hundred, especially if you count the servant’s quarters.”

She led Miss Bronte through the entrance hall. The large, two storied room had a small wooden staircase along the walls on either side, although the balustrades were ornately carved and richly polished. There was also a large marble staircase on the back wall. Mrs. Browne headed for the stairs on the right. “Miss Leanna’s rooms, and yours, are in the east wing, where I expect you’ll be spending most of your time.” She gave Miss Bronte another smile. “If you leave your trunk at the bottom of the stairs, my Jonathan will bring it up for you in a moment.”

Kory

Old 10-15-2015, 08:41 PM

"Oh, I see. How do you like working for an Earl? Is it exciting?" Joanna was ever so curious about her new employer. Though his daughter was her main focus, he was a part of her, and she wanted to know as much about him as she could. "A hundred rooms! Wow, I've never been inside such a large home. This place is truly beautiful. I've not seen a place like this even in my dreams!" She touched the balustrades gently, curiously. "There must be so much history here." She murmured to herself.

She looked at Mrs. Browne and chuckled a little, "That's alright, I'd much rather carry my own things to my room. I'm here only to service Leanna, I don't want to make any more work for you or anyone else in this house." She lifted her trunk and stumbled back a little. It was certainly heavy, but she'd insist until she was blue in the face that she could carry it on her own. Joanna was used to doing things herself, living here would not change her values in that sense. "I do appreciate the offer, though."

As Joanna carried her trunk up the stairs she noticed her hair was getting messier by the second. She sighed, she wanted to make the best first impression, but it seems that those plans had failed her already. She awkwardly clambered up the steps with her trunk in her arms, careful not to trip over her skirts.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-17-2015, 01:39 AM

Mrs. Browne laughed a bit. "Exciting, Miss? I'm not sure I'd know the the difference, as I haven't anything else to compare it to, but I will say it was far more exciting when Lord Rathingar used to host balls and house parties. But that was before his marriage..." She led Miss Bronte to the second floor, then into a long hallway. In the dim candle light it was difficult to tell what color the wallpaper was, but Mrs. Brown was sure footed as she continued to the second to last door on the right side of the hall. She opened the door, and gestured for Miss Bronte to go before her, knowing that this suite of rooms had been freshly cleaned and prepared for Miss Bronte.

"I do hope you like your rooms. You have a small study in addition to the main room, and the bath room does have running water, hot as well as cold."

Kory

Old 10-17-2015, 04:53 AM

"Thank you." Joanna tipped her head at Mrs. Browne in an attempt to show her appreciation. "I should probably get my belongings placed." She smiled and gently closed the door behind her as she stumbled into her room. Once she neared the bed, Joanna used all of her strength to swing her trunk onto the mattress.

"I didn't even pack that much..." She mumbled to herself. As quickly as she could, she popped open her trunk and began to place her folded clothing into appropriate drawers. The room had some beautifully lit candles, which was thankfully enough light for Joanna to see, though, it gave her a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. Why did Mr. Barrons not prefer gas lights? The thought didn't remain in her head for too long and she quickly finished unpacking her things.

She had to move quickly if she wanted to meet Lord Rathingar in the library. She definitely needed to freshen up before bed, but she wasn't sure if she had the time for a bath before meeting. "Perhaps if I wash quickly...?" She grabbed a robe and made her way to the washroom.

. . .

After her bath, which was enjoyed very much, Joanna nearly ran through the halls trying to get to the library in a timely matter. She wore her white nightgown and a long, brown robe for modesty, which, she tried to tie before almost opening the doors to the library. Just before she pulled on the door to open it, she remembered Lord Rathingar's warning to knock first, and so she did.

"Lord Rathingar, I hope it's not too late to talk...?"

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-17-2015, 03:48 PM

Leonard started when he heard the knock. Fortunately he wasn’t holding anything delicate when he did so. The wind-up ballerina he was working on was being contrary, and he had returned to the schematics he had drawn, trying to decide why it wasn’t working the way he intended it to. Upon hearing Miss Bronte’s voice, he sighed, and made himself visible. He got up from his position at one of the copper tables near the entrance, and went over to the main door. With an effort of will, he swung it open, and stood aside to make room for his new governess to pass. “Come in, Miss Bronte. It is not too late, as I am a bit of a night owl.”

Leonard blinked at he noticed the woman’s state of undress. Although she wore a robe over her night dress, the society mavens would have a field day if they knew his daughter’s governess had come to see him unaccompanied and so attired. The woman was either extremely naive, or had ulterior motives. He abruptly turned away, and rang the bell next to the door, summoning Mrs. Browne.

Kory

Old 10-17-2015, 10:56 PM

Joanna didn't notice how quickly Mr. Barrons turned away from her. Though, she had to admit, she was a little curious about the bell he'd just rung.

"I would greatly appreciate it if you'd tell me more about Leanna. I'm very interested in anything that makes up who she is...." An air of awkwardness finally dawned on Joanna and she glanced around the room, feeling confused as to why the Earl was so quiet. She wondered if it was something she did or said that made the room so quiet. "I'm sor-"

When Mrs. Browne arrived, Joanna acknowledged her with a bow of her head, then proceeded to continue speaking to the Earl, "... I'm sorry, I hope I haven't offended you. I was just very eager to learn more about Leanna..." And it was true, Joanna was truly eager to learn more about the child she's be teaching. There was so many things she had in mind to do, she was really excited for the new work and seeing a new face. Without much though, Joanna tugged at the two sides of her robe and pulled them across her body, it was rather chilly in the library.

Last edited by Kory; 10-18-2015 at 04:28 AM..

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-19-2015, 03:15 PM

Leonard nodded slightly. At least the woman had the grace to acknowledge she’d made a mistake. When she pulled her robe closed, he decided she was probably merely naive, not calculating. “Mrs. Browne, please fetch a pot of tea, and send John to build up the fire. I would appreciate your presence at this discussion, as you have been Leanna’s caretaker during the day.” Mrs. Browne nodded, and walked away quickly, understanding the unspoken need for a chaperon.

He turned to Miss Bronte. “If you would follow me, there are chairs by the fire, and I would hate for you to take a chill.” He went over to far end of the Library, where the embers of a fire burned in a elegant fireplace, surrounded by leather winged back chairs. Next to each chair was a small round mahogany table, and a matching ottoman. He offered the chair closest to the dying fire to Miss Bronte.

Kory

Old 10-19-2015, 09:31 PM

When Mrs. Browne disappeared behind a door, going to fetch tea, Joanna was a little suspicious. "My Lord...? Isn't it a little late in the day for tea?" Still, she followed Lord Rathingar towards the fire and sat in the chair he offered her without any other questions. Not that she was complaining about tea, Joanna loved tea any time of day, she just found it odd that they'd need tea this late at night.

She shook off any suspicions she may have had by reasoning to herself that perhaps they just things differently here than they did in York. Within seconds, she was back to her overly excited, happy self. She leaned back in the chair, staring at the fire for a few minutes, waiting for Lord Rathingar to break the silence.

"Um." She stuttered a little while trying to find the words. "This is a beautiful home. I'm sure Leanna and I will have so much fun here. I took the liberty of bringing along with me some pleasant books for children. I hope that she likes them..." Joanna turned her eyes back to focus on the fire as she continued to speak. "I do not wish to make you uncomfortable, but I was hoping that I could see Leanna? I promise I will not wake her, I just want to see her so I can finally put a face to her name."

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-19-2015, 10:46 PM

“It is perhaps a bit late, as I’ve stated, I’m a bit of a night owl, and the tea should offset the chill a bit.” Leonard waited until Miss Bronte had seat herself, then took his own seat in the next chair over. He remained silent, waiting to see what Miss Bronte would do. He was mildly impressed when she let the silence stand for a while. When she did speak, he was a bit startled by her words. He knew the Manor was outdated, and while he loved it the way it was, he did not expect a young female to feel the same. He decided to focus instead on the later part of her statement. “Leanna loves to be read to, I am sure she will enjoy them. She is learning to read, but in spite of the size of the library, there is a shortage of children’s books. When you have finished those you brought, let me know, and I will send the two of you on a day trip to London to add to Elmsly Manor’s collection.”

He listened to her next question, and frowned. “I would prefer not to wake her, and she is a light sleeper. However, I have a photograph of the family, taken days before her mother’s death. Would that suffice?” He stood as he spoke, but before he could retrieve the picture, Mrs. Browne arrived, carrying a tray with a tea service and pastries and accompanied by her oldest son. Her son, John, carried an armful of firewood, which he set on the rack beside the fireplace, before beginning the task of building up the fire.

Kory

Old 10-20-2015, 01:39 AM

"Oh, I have no doubt in my mind that little Leanna will be reading on her own very soon." Joanna sighed heavily, all the while, still keeping a pleasant smile on her face. "I'm very good with teaching children to read. It's one of my most favorite things to teach..."

Joanna beamed proudly when discussing her work. She wasn't paid much for what she did, but she still enjoyed her work very much. "I love helping children explore their imaginations." She paused there, trying her best to keep her excitement contained. In her line of work, she always grew very attached to the children she taught. "I've taught many children to read and write, to do simple math, to build, to play..." Her smile faded a little and she looked at the fire sorrowfully. "I get excited with every new child I get to teach because I know it doesn't last forever."

At the Earl's statement of letting her and Leanna go to London to collect more children's books, Joanna's grin returned and her solemn aura dissipated. "I would enjoy that very much. Thank you, Lord Rathingar. Yes, I'd love to see the family photo... If you don't mind?"

When Mrs. Browne returned with the tea, Joanna gently took her cup in hand, she held it, but did not drink any. "Thank you, Mrs. Browne."

Last edited by Kory; 10-22-2015 at 05:39 PM..

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-22-2015, 01:43 PM

Leonard smiled softly at Miss Bronte’s words about the brevity of childhood. For all her brash good cheer, Miss Bronte would be good for Leanna. She needed a warm and caring female role model, one who would support her and praise her achievements, unlike her mother. He hd been too well trained not to speak ill of the dead to actually say that aloud, however. He nodded, when Miss Bronte asked to see the photograph, and stood. “Give me just a moment to fetch it.” He went to one of the many small study areas scattered throughout the Library. This particular one, in a corner of the third floor, was his favorite. The bookshelves completed the square the walls started except for a passage way at the corner, hiding it from view. An elegant desk stood against the windowless wall, with a comfortable leather chair. The other wall had a large picture window, in front of which sat to overstuffed leather arm chairs and a small table. He retrieved the picture from the desk drawer, then headed back down to the fireplace and Miss Bronte.

As he returned, he heard Mrs. Browne softly murmur a polite ‘You’re welcome’ to Miss Bronte, who was now holding a cup of tea. He gestured for Mrs. Browne to take a seat, knowing that without the invitation, she would remain standing out of propriety. He handed the photograph to Miss Bronte, and returned to his seat. He knew what she would see without looking. Anna, with her incredible good looks, smiling and looking bright, himself looking dour and gloomy, and little Leanna, with her waist length blond curls, beautiful big blue eyes, clinging to him. She wouldn’t know that Anna was acting, that behind the façade, was a cunning, manipulative… He stopped himself, knowing that that train of thought led nowhere but anger and sorrow. “I believe you said you wished to know more of Leanna?”

Kory

Old 10-22-2015, 10:15 PM

Setting down the teacup, Joanna turned in her chair to accept and have a look at the picture that Lord Rathingar had given to her. She studied it quietly, smiling when she saw how happy Leanna looked... and how disinterested her father seemed. Leanna's mother was pretty as well... All in all, she could say the family was beautiful. That, and it was an adorable picture to say the least. Joanna handed it back to the Earl, still smiling.

"She looks a lot like you, My Lord." Joanna giggled softly and reached for her tea cup, taking another slow, slip. She looked to Mrs. Browne and smiled, her excitement growing again.

"Yes, I'd love to know more about Leanna!" She grinned and reached for a hidden pocket in the inside of her robe, pulling out a small notepad and piece of lead to write with. "I want to know everything about Leanna. What are some of her likes? What things scare her at night? What is her favorite song? Favorite food?" She stopped herself before delving deeper into the abyss of curious questions. "I'm sorry... Perhaps, you should tell me what you feel comfortable sharing about Leanna."

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-24-2015, 06:42 AM

Leonard leaned back in his chair at Miss Bronte’s rapid fire questions. He took a moment before answering. “Let me see… Her likes… She loves ballerinas and dancing. I have a dance tutor coming in three times a week for a few hours. Her favorite color is robin’s egg blue, and her favorite book is “The Train to Timbuctoo”. It’s a bit young for her, but I have been reading it to her since she was an infant. She likes making forts out of her mashed potatoes, and any meal that contains them is sure to be a success in her eyes.” He paused again.

“As to what she fears… Her mother’s death deeply upset her. She is afraid I will go away and not come back as well, and frequently asks me to promise that I will still be there when she wakes up.” He frowned thoughtfully. “Mrs. Browne, perhaps you could fill Miss Bronte in on what a typical day is like for Leanna?”

Mrs. Browne nodded. “Of course, Lord Rathingar. Let’s see. I generally wake Leanna up about an hour and a half before dawn, so that she can join her father for breakfast. After he retires, we generally take a walk around the property. Leanna particularly cares for the rose garden. Leanna also enjoys watching the cook prepare lunch. No matter how many times I’ve told her it’s not appropriate, she insists on doing so every day. After lunch, she either studies, or meets with the dancing tutor. We have afternoon tea, and then she likes to draw or paint until Lord Rathingar comes down.”

Kory

Old 10-24-2015, 11:27 PM

Joanna scratched down the important pieces of information that Lord Rathingar gave her onto her notepad. She listened intently, smiling more as she heard more information about Leanna. Frankly, she was very excited to start working with the little girl, she already had ideas for how she wanted to shape Leanna's curriculum. Oh yes, this would be very fun, indeed.

When Mrs. Browne spoke, Joanna quickly scratched down more information, though, something interesting caught her attention. She thought it may be better to not ask something so personal, after all, the Earl seemed pretty offended when she arrived in the library in her nightgown and robe... Maybe he thought she was being scandalous? She shook her head, thinking how silly that little suggestion was. Joanna decided to ask anyway,

"My Lord, will we see you during the day?" She slowly set her notepad down, "I mean, will me and Leanna get the chance to show you, during the day, the things she'd learned?"

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-25-2015, 12:32 PM

Leonard frowned. There it was, the question he’d feared. He could not appear during the day, as no matter how hard he tried to will himself solid, the sun’s rays went right through him, casting no shadow, and making him translucent as the ghost he was.

“No, Miss Bronte you will not. As I said, I am a night owl, and I go to bed with the dawn. I spend most of the afternoon dealing with the business of the estate, and my own personal research. I usually come down around dusk, however, and I spend the hours between dusk and nine at night with my daughter. I anticipated that she would show me what she had learned at that time. Further, it has been our habit to have breakfast together in the hour before dawn.”

Leonard watched Miss Bronte carefully for her reaction. He could not have anyone suspect that he was anything other then alive and breathing. Even Mrs. Browne was not fully aware of what was going on. If anyone found him out, Leanna's care would go to his cousin, his only living relative, a wastrel and degenerate. He would not have Leanna exposed to that.

Kory

Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 PM

"Ah, I see. That's too bad." Joanna's eyes became downcast for a moment. She had looked forward to getting the Earl to come and play with her and Leanna sometime.... Ah, well. Such is life. Joanna would be alright in taking a different approach. Though, she was rather curious about him...

With Joanna's interest piqued, she thought she'd take the liberty of asking a few more questions. She'd had enough information on Leanna to form her lesson plans, but she was curious about her employer.

"If you don't mind me asking, Lord Rathingar, what kind of research do you do?" Joanna set down her notepad on her lap, fully interested in the work that the Earl did. She'd never worked for an Earl before, it was quite an honor and very interesting to hear what kind of things an Earl did. "Ah, you don't have to be so formal for me, My Lord." Joanna chuckled softly, "I'm only a governess, after all. Simply, 'Joanna' would be sufficient for me."

She perked up a little in her chair and gave a big, toothy grin. She couldn't help being so excited. Without another word, she stood from her chair, holding the little notepad close to her chest and she smiled again before bowing in respect for the Earl as well as Mrs. Browne. "Thank you both. I believe I have enough information to schedule Leanna's curriculum accordingly. I guess I will wish you both a good night... And thank you, again, Mrs. Browne for the tea."