numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 PM

Leonard raised an eyebrow at her inquiry into his research. Judging by her body language she was genuinely interested, which rather surprised him. “I am interested by automatons, particularly the idea of ones with human like intelligence. I have been researching methods of producing artificial intelligence as well as perfecting clockwork machines that can move as a human can. If you wish to see my latest project, I am working on a life size ballerina for Leanna.”

He frowned at her statement that he should use her first name. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to make the woman a bit more comfortable, provided she didn’t get too familiar. “I suppose that it can’t hurt, at least in private. In public, we shall have to remain more formal. That includes in front of Leanna, I won’t have her learning bad manners.”

Leonard nodded at Miss… Joanna’s good night. “Indeed. Have a pleasant night, and I will introduce you to Leanna at breakfast.”

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 PM

It was immensely interesting to hear of what the Earl did with his time. Joanna's own father was interested in clockwork technology as well, though she was sure her own father's inventions were nowhere are fantastic as Lord Rathingar's. Her father never had the money to simply stay home and invent. Joanna was very interested in seeing Lord Rathingar's inventions someday, but she felt it wasn't the time to ask.

As she left the library, Joanna turned in the doorway to give a small wave to Lord Rathingar and Mrs. Browne. She left swiftly, wanting to make it through the hallways before the candles died out. One thing she'd never admit to anyone, especially not to the children she taught, was that she was afraid of the dark. Being caught in a dark room was the worst possible kind of terror for her, so she quickly scampered up the steps to the East wing.

She had surprised herself when she found her own room on the first try. The halls were long and winding and there were many doors scattered on each side. Joanna quickly opened her own door and shut it just as quickly. Her room was dark, the candles had died out, but she'd left the window open and there was just enough moonlight to keep the room lit for a little while, thankfully. Joanna went to her drawers and rummaged through them, looking for a match. She lit some more candles, feeling a little relieved as the room lit up more more.

Despite being incredibly excited, Joanna was also quite tired. She wiggled out of her robe and folded it before placing it in a drawer, snugly beside her other night attire. Joanna sauntered over to her bed, where she peeled back the covers and slipped underneath them... She fell asleep as instantly as her head hit the pillow.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 PM

Breakfast, as usual, was held in the Morning Room an hour before dawn. The east wall had several large windows, and in the morning the room would be filled with sunlight. Leonard was a tad bit apprehensive about this, as he would have to mind the time, and leave before the sun rose. Still, he would not hand his daughter over to Joanna’s care without introducing the two.

Leanna was pushing her food about her plate and looking distinctly unhappy. “Papa, why must I have a governess?”

Leonard sighed. “I’ve explained this several times, sweetheart. I cannot be there to care for you during the day, and there are many things you need to learn.”

Leanna glared. “Mrs. Browne takes good care of me.”

“I know she does, but you need someone to teach you about being a Lady, and Mrs. Browne has other duties.”
He rang the bell, hoping Joanna had not gotten lost. As Mrs. Browne entered, he asked “Could you check on the whereabouts of Miss Bronte, and lead her here. I fear I forgot to tell her the location of our morning meal.”

Kory

Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 PM

It was rather early for Joanna's taste, but still, she managed to awake just in time. Or, so she'd hoped. She had checked her pocket watch many times, trying to make sure that it was exactly an hour before dawn. All she knew was that it was dark... And she hated dark. Still, she would do anything for Leanna.

Sitting up in her bed, she had fully dressed herself. She stared at herself in the mirror as she brushed her hair to put it up in a bun. It wasn't perfect, she couldn't see too well with only the light of candles, but she did her best. Joanna set down the brush and stood to take a good look at herself in the mirror. She'd hoped that the dress she was wearing would be acceptable to an Earl. It wasn't anything special, just a long, white dress with a typical bustle. She even squeezed herself into a corset, figuring Lord Rathingar would want her to show Leanna "proper" behavior and dress for a lady.

After Joanna had refreshed herself she wandered to her bed and sat down, picking up her notepad on the way and reviewing the notes she'd made for herself about Leanna's curriculum. There was so much to learn, the excitement that had left her during the night had, once again, returned with a vengeance. Patiently, she waited for someone to come in to get her. Joanna was brave, but not brave enough to wander an unfamiliar house on her own.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 PM

Mrs. Browne nodded at the Earl. “Of course, sir.” She then headed up to Miss Bronte’s room. She mentally grumbled to herself that she should of thought of sending one of the maids to fetch Miss Bronte when breakfast was served. Her arthritis did not enjoy going upstairs, only to return so quickly. She arrived at Miss Bronte’s rooms, and knocked briskly, hoping the young lady was awake. "Miss Bronte? Lord Rathingar has sent me to show to breakfast in the morning room.”

Kory

Old 10-28-2015, 02:00 AM

Joanna opened the door with a wide smile, "Ah, thank you, Mrs. Browne. This home is rather large, I was getting worried that I'd have to figure out my way to breakfast on my own!" Joanna laughed a little, seeing as how Mrs, Browne looked a little grumpy this morning. Joanna didn't blame her, this was a ridiculous hour of day to wake up. Still, it was Lord Rathingar's house, so she had to abide by his rules.

Joanna followed Mrs. Browne in silence, however, as she was too taken in by the beauty of the old manor. The fine details that were carved and built into every aspect of it was worthy of her attention. It was amazing how timeless this house felt. The place was enormous and Joanna knew that she was bound to get lost here, at least a couple of times during her stay. Today, she'd ask Leanna to show her around.

When they arrived in the morning room, Joanna's face broke out into a wide smile when she saw Lord Rathingar and Leanna. Of course, Leanna was just as beautiful as she'd been in her picture. "This must be Leanna!" Joanna came closer to Leanna to get a better look at the girl. "Ah, Lord Rathingar, she's beautiful! Hello, Leanna, I am Joanna Bronte. I'm going to be your new governess." If it didn't seem possible before, Joanna made it possible that her smile grew even bigger. Her heart always felt like it grew every time she saw a child. She loved teaching more than anything else in the world.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-28-2015, 08:40 PM

Lord Rathingar watched this first exchange between his daughter and her new governess carefully. Leanna still looked a bit sulky and mistrustful. When she spoke her words reflected her dislike of the situation. “I know. Papa says I must have a governess, but I don’t see why. Mrs. Browne takes good care of me, and always has.” Leanna paused and frowned. “It’s not like Mother was here to take care of me before. I don’t see why her going away for good changes anything.”

Leonard was somewhat appalled by his daughter’s statement. He had known that there was little affection lost between his daughter and her mother, but that she would speak so dismissively of her death surprised him. “Leanna Marie Barrons! Mind your manners! Miss Bronte has traveled all the way from York to be your governess, and she is not the one who determined you need one. Furthermore, please do not speak so disrespectfully of your mother.”

Kory

Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 PM

Joanna wasn't offended. She understood perfectly, some children got nervous or rebellious when she would first be introduced to them. The idea of having a stranger living in their home and teaching them was always scary for a child, especially one Leanna's age. Joanna gently pet Leanna's head out of nervous habit and chuckled,

"Ah, that's alright, Lord Rathingar. I understand, I am still a stranger in Leanna's eyes. Children are always mistrustful of a stranger... And I understand she may still be upset of her mother's... passing." Death was too harsh of a word to use with a young child. Joanna didn't want to stir up any ill feelings on the first day.

Joanna knelt in front of Leanna's chair, folding her hands together as she spoke to Leanna in a gentle, hopefully, disarming voice, "I understand you're upset, Leanna... I understand it's hard to have a stranger in your home telling you what to do. But, I promise, we are going to have so much fun! Soon, we'll be good friends and we'll have you learning without even thinking about it."

Joanna wanted to reach toward and brush some stray hairs in Leanna's face behind the child's ear, but she held back. She knew Leanna would be cautious and to make the child uncomfortable would make it that much harder to become her friend.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 PM

Leonard frowned at Joanna. “I understand her emotions are strong, but that does not excuse poor manners. Leanna apologize to Miss Bronte for your rudeness immediately.” He sighed. “This is exactly why you need a governess.”

Leanna glared at Papa. She knew he didn’t particularly care that Mother was gone either, so why did she have to pretend otherwise. As the governess spoke to her father as if she wasn’t there she felt herself growing even more unhappy. Mrs. Browne had always taken care of her. She didn’t need some new person telling her what to do.

Leanna was mollified a bit when the new governess came and spoke to her directly. “I’m sorry I was rude, Miss Bronte.” She looked her over thoughtfully. “What kind of fun? Do I have to write my alphabet and name ten times each day?” The aforementioned task was her least favorite part of the day. Mrs. Browne had insisted that a Lady had perfect penmanship, and that practice made perfect.

Kory

Old 10-30-2015, 12:56 AM

"Your apology is accepted, my dear." Joanna's smile never wavered or faded from her face the entire time she spoke to Leanna. In a sense, Joanna was quite like a kid, herself. She wasn't hurt at all by Leanna's rudeness and she is very quick to forgive. Everything is a bundle of sunshine and when there's light, there's learning. Joanna's mother always said, If you're breathing, you are learning. Joanna always stuck by that principle.

She laughed a little when Leanna looked so disdainful about writing her name and alphabet. "Hahaha... No, Leanna, my approach is a little... different." Then, Joanna stood from where she was kneeling in front of Leanna's chair. The excitement was too overwhelming for her, she wanted to eat breakfast quickly and get to the fun.

"I will explain in more detail after breakfast, though... This is your time to spend with your father, Leanna, I don't want to distract from it too much." Joanna walked around the table and approached Lord Rathingar, rather boldly in a meek way.

"Lord Rathingar, if it's not too much trouble, I was hoping that Leanna and I could spend some time outside? I find it easier to teach a child to read after we've had some fresh air.... even if it's chilly."

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-30-2015, 10:31 AM

Leanna’s sulky look disappeared when Miss Bronte stated her approach was different. Not having to copy her alphabet and name cheered her up immensely. She nodded seriously when Miss Bronte said she didn’t want to take away from Leanna’s time with her father, which was another mark in Miss Bronte’s favor. Since her mother died, Papa had been very busy, and couldn’t spend all day with her like he used to. She didn’t want to waste any of the time she did have with him.

Hearing Miss Bronte’s next statement, she forgot her determination not to like the new governess completely. “Oh, Papa, can we? I want to play in the leaves, and Mrs. Browne never has time to take me, and she says it’s not dignify.. dignified.” She paused, realizing it might sound to Papa like she didn’t want to spend time with him. “After breakfast, I mean.”

************************************************** ***********************************

Leonard was impressed with Miss Bronte’s handling of Leanna’s grumpiness. He didn’t miss that Leanna hadn’t liked the learning related tasks Mrs. Browne had set her, and quite frankly, if they were all as boring as the one quoted, he didn’t blame Leanna for disliking them. He wondered if this was part of the reason Leanna had been so resistant to having a governess.

Leonard smiled at Leanna’s eagerness to play outside, wondering if Miss Bronte had deliberately asked in order to win Leanna over. It was a good suggestion either way. His smile took an amused cast when Leanna added that she didn’t want to abandon breakfast with him. He didn’t mind that it was an afterthought, that she thought at all about his feelings was a sign that she wasn’t at all like her mother. “Of course you may, provided you both dress appropriately for the chill.” Another thought occurred to him. “Also provided you promise to mind Miss Bronte, Leanna.”

Leanna clapped her hands, and Leonard found her joy was contagious. “Thank You, Papa! I promise!”

“Then it is settled. I will suggest you avoid the hedge maze in back until Mrs. Brown or one of the stable boys can show you the pattern of the turns. ” Leonard made a show of taking a bite of his toast, even though it meant he would have to expend effort to remain solid until Miss Bronte and Leanna couldn’t see him. It was worth it to avoid Leanna’s worry about his health and Miss Bronte’s suspicions. “What sort of outdoor activities do you enjoy, Miss Bronte?”

Kory

Old 11-01-2015, 05:31 PM

"Well..." Joanna started as she took her seat at the table, responding to Lord Rathingar's query. "Well, I'm a big fan of hide and seek. I also like tag, though I have to take off my boots for that!" Joanna chuckled. She felt too cherry to eat, when she got overly anxious, she always found it difficult to sit down, let alone sit and eat.

She poked at her food with her fork, it looked delicious, definitely, but she just wasn't very hungry. She didn't want to be rude, but she simply couldn't eat anything when she was this excited. This was one reason why she'd skip breakfast most mornings when under previous employment. Overexcitement and food never went well together.

"I already have your entire lesson plan scheduled, Leanna!" Joanna exclaimed. Joanna wanted o ask Leanna a million questions about what games she liked to play outside, what her favorite places outside were, if she liked animals... But this was Leanna's personal time with her father, it would be best to keep it that way.

Joanna settled for sipping her tea. It felt a little awkward to be sitting in during private family time between father and daughter, in previous employment, she would always eat in a separate room at a different time of day while children and parent would eat together. This was a little different for her and would take some getting used to, but she appreciated being on the same level as the family. For now, anyway.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-02-2015, 07:25 PM

Leanna considered Miss Bronte’s statements about Hide and Go Seek, and Tag very seriously. She took her time coming up with what she wanted to say, and had to wait for Miss Bronte to finish speaking about lesson plans before she answered. “There are a lot of places to hide in the regular gardens, so we could still play that. Tag is better with more people any way.” She paused. “I’d like to run and jump in leaf piles better than either, though. Can we please play in the leaves?”
Leonard watched Miss Bronte push the food around on her plate sympathetically. She was probably feeling awkward due to the slight impropriety of a governess eating with the family. It didn’t make sense, however, in such a small household, to serve her meal separately. He was pleased to hear that she had Leanna’s lessons all planned out, and was about to ask to hear more about that, when Leanna spoke up. He smiled at her eagerness to play in the leaves. Autumn had always been his favorite season as a child, for precisely that reason. He decided to put his weight behind Leanna’s request. “As I recall, there is a perfect spot in the corner of the orchard. The wind blows most of the leaves into one corner of the wall surrounding it, and it the pile gets quite big. When I was a child, we used to jump of the corner of the wall.” He turned to Joanna. “The wall is only about knee height, and quite often the leaf pile is taller then it is.”

Kory

Old 11-04-2015, 11:49 PM

Joanna smiled at Leanna, "We can do anything you want, dear." She paused to take a sip of tea. "But it can't all be fun and games, you are also going to be learning as well." She found it was easier to just drink her tea rather than eating at this point in time.

Setting down her tea cup, she turned to Leonard and smiled, "That sounds very pleasant, Lord Rathingar... Do my ears deceive me? It sounds as though you'd like to join us?" Joanna was joking, yet, she was hoping that Lord Rathingar would join her and Leanna outside after breakfast. He seemed very uptight, it would have been so nice to see him relax and have some fun.

"... and perhaps Mrs. Browne and her son could join us as well!" Joanna may have been getting overexcited again, she'd forgotten that the workers in the manor had other tasks that needed tending. Still, there was never any harm in asking. The sun would be up soon, and as soon as daylight broke out, Joanna was ready to take Leanna outside to play.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-06-2015, 11:08 PM

Leanna was delighted when Miss Bronte said they could do whatever she wanted, although the statement that learning would be involved put a bit of a damper on her excitement. Still, she was going to play in the leaves! Absolutely wonderful. She hurried to finish her meal, for once not dreading the end of breakfast.

Leonard raised an eyebrow at Joanna’s question. “Your ears are playing tricks on you. I have far to much work to get done today to spend it playing outside, and I’m sure the same is true of Mrs. Browne. However, if John wishes to join you, I have no objection.” He rang the bell beside his seat, and when Mrs. Browne approached, asked “Could you please ask John if he would like to join Leanna and Miss Bronte in their outdoor activities.” She nodded, and went back the way she had come.

Leonard glanced out the window and winced. He didn’t have much time before the sun broke the horizon. “Unfortunatly, work calls.” He stood, removing the napkin from his lap. “Leanna, Miss Bronte, enjoy your day.” He looked toward Joanna. “I’ll expect a report on Leanna’s progress tonight.” He quickly left the room, as he felt his manifestation growing weaker.

Kory

Old 11-10-2015, 12:09 AM

Joanna chuckled at Leanna's eagerness. It was quite pleasant to be working with a child again, Joanna was rather fond of Leanna already. After all, Joanna also wanted to hurry and finish breakfast. She politely picked up her napkin and gently dabbed the corners of her mouth, but when she turned to Mr. Barrons to poke fun at him for being such a sourpuss and working all the time, he'd abruptly stood and left the room.

It rubbed Joanna the wrong way. She'd thought, surely she was getting to him, maybe to melt that chilly disposition of his. She was a little proud that she even got to see a smile from him, but... She couldn't help but feel like she wanted more from him. Joanna wanted to eventually get him, her and Leanna playing together. To give Leanna a good sense of family that it seemed she was lacking currently. Joanna only turned to Leanna and smiled, trying not to let her mind's wandering become evident on her face.

"Well..." Joanna began. "I guess we can go outside now!" Joanna stood from where she was sitting at the table. "I'll grab my coat and we can be on our way! Mrs. Browne!" Joanna called, she wasn't sure how the bell system worked yet... And she really didn't feel like ringing it to summon Mrs. Browne. "Mrs. Browne! Leanna and I are going outside now!"

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-18-2015, 06:18 PM

Leanna practically jumped out of her chair at Miss Bronte’s statement. “Let’s go! My room is right next to yours, there’s a door between them, so I can get my coat, too.” She frowned as Miss Bronte called for Mrs. Browne. She waited to see if Mrs. Brown would come, then went over to her father’s seat, and used the bell. Mrs. Browne came almost immediately. “Miss Bronte and I are going to fetch our coats, and then we are going outside to play in the leaf piles.”

Mrs. Browne nodded. “I’ll have John wait for you at the door. Will you need clean clothes set out for Miss Leanna? Or perhaps a bath prepared?”

Leanna frowned and interjected. “I’ve already had my bath this morning.” She turned to Miss Bronte. “Come on, let’s go!” She turned and ran out of the room, heading for her room to get her coat.

Kory

Old 11-22-2015, 08:41 AM

Joanna did her best to avoid sighing a little when Leanna summoned Mrs. Browne. Well, at least Mrs, Browne came. This house was way too big. Joanna would get used to it. She politely greeted Mrs, Browne again, watching Leanna grow impatient with excitement.

"Well-" Joanna began, but Leanna had interjected and said she'd already taken a bath this morning. Joanna thought, she wasn't in any position to deny Leanna's claim. It was almost amazing how much energy Leanna had at this hour, but Joanna had an equal amount of energy flowing in her as she, too, was excited to play outside with the child.

"Well, I must thank you, Mrs. Browne, but I think Leanna and I will be alright. Please inform Lord Rathingar that Leanna and I have left and we'll be back shortly" Joanna smiled and curtsied politely for Mrs. Browne before running after Leanna, headed to her own room to pick up her coat, hoping she'd beat the young girl to the door.

"I'll race you to the door, Leanna!"

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-24-2015, 04:06 AM

Leanna was already up the stairs when she heard Miss Bronte’s challenge to a race. She sped up, and wasted no time in grabbing her favorite jacket, the forest green wool one with copper buttons. She didn’t take the time to put the jacket on, instead, she ran back to the stairs. She slowed there, and walked down them like a lady, as she knew Mrs. Browne would be mad if she ‘clomped down them like an elephant.’ Besides, she’d had a bit of a head start, it was only sporting to give Miss Bronte a chance to catch up. As soon as she was down the stairs though, she sprinted to the door as fast as she could.

Leanna touched the door, then turned to see if she had beaten Miss Bronte, or if they had arrived at the same time. She danced eagerly from foot to foot, eager to go outside. She grinned at John, who was buttoning up his own jacket as he waited by the door looking almost as eager as she felt.

Kory

Old 11-30-2015, 04:20 AM

When Joanna came to the door of her room, she stood in the doorway, panting a little and trying to catch her breath, those stairs would be the death of her if she had to run up and down them in her boots all day. She Looked to the brass coat hanger next to the closet and quickly pulled her coat from it. Her coat wasn't anything fancy. Just a long, brown jacket with ruffled cuffs and collar. It was old and didn't do a very good job of keeping her warm anymore, so after putting it on she went to her drawers to pull out a brown shoulder cape with cream colored cloth roses stitched across the hem.

She was almost certain by now she'd lost the race. Still, it wouldn't be much fun to give up now. Joanna ran back to the steps and started to walk down them as quickly as she could without falling. It was a task that wouldn't prove to be too difficult, but one must've get cocky in heels! Just as Joanna made it to the last few steps, her confidence in her ability to walk quickly down steps vanished as she miscalculated the last steps and her heel slipped on the edge of it, sending her foot rising upward as her body flew backwards and she, in fact, fell gracelessly.

She made a terribly loud thump when she hit the shining wooden floor. Her ankle was hurting when she moved it. Though it was hurting pretty badly, the injury was nothing compared to the embarrassment she felt. Her legs were sprawled out and her petticoats and bloomers were showing. She hoped to the heavens that Mrs. Browne would help her before anyone else saw her underclothing. She would have called out for Mrs. Browne, but she didn't want to disturb the Earl or seem rude. Joanna did her best to try to get to her feet, but the pain in her ankle was much too powerful,Meath time she put pressure on her foot, waves of pain shot through her nerves and radiated through her body. She shrieked a little each time she tried to stand, and each attempt she made ended with her falling back to the ground in the most unladylike fashion into a crumpled heap of lace and white cloth.

Last edited by Kory; 11-30-2015 at 05:51 AM..

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-07-2015, 06:55 PM

Leanna was surprised to see that Miss Bronte was just coming down the stairs when she turned around. She closed her eyes when Miss Bronte missed her step, anticipating the result, but the loud noise confirmed her worst suspicion. Leanna cautiously opened her eyes, one at a time, taken aback by the sight that greeted her.

Leanna wasn’t sure what to do, and stood frozen, until Miss Bronte began to attempt to get up. She winced at her governess’ pain filled vocal emanations as she tried to put weight on one of her feet. Leanna turned to John and told him “Go get your mother right away, then have Henry get the carriage ready.” She waited until he started moving, then ran over to Miss Bronte. “Stay still, John is going to fetch Mrs. Browne, and she’ll figure out how to get you to the carriage so we can take you to the Doctor in the village. It would be better if we could get him to come here instead, but ever since Mother died, no one will.”

Kory

Old 12-25-2015, 02:28 AM

It sounded like much too big of a fuss to Joanna. Take her to the doctor? Certainly she could get by if- Ouch. Hm... Maybe not. Still, Joanna was always a baby when it came to the doctor.

"Ah, no... It's..." She winced. "It's alright." Joanna rolled around on the floor a little bit in failing attempts to at least get to her knees to crawl around. Whoever said it was a great idea for women to wear so many layers was an blithering idiot! Joanna found that her skirt hoop prevented her from getting the traction she needed to push herself off the ground and get to her knees and instead, sent her rolling around in circles on the floor.

Joanna struggled for a little while, then slowly gave up on the task, beginning to feel rather silly, herself, rolling along on the floor like a drunk. It felt bad, this was her first day and she'd already hurt herself. Clumsy. That, and embarrassed herself in front of the child.... Joanna tried to see the positives in this. It would (hopefully) only get better from here. Since she was obviously going nowhere fast, she wanted to pick Leanna's brain on the issue surrounding her late mother.

"... No one will come to the house since your mother died?" Joanna asked once she had settled herself down on the floor. Joanna tried to protect her modesty a little by tugging on her skirts and trying to cover her bloomers and petticoats.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-02-2016, 08:39 PM

Leanna watched helplessly as Miss Bronte struggled to get up. It was clear Miss Bronte was a determined woman, and no amount of pleading would make her sit and wait for help to arrive until she had ascertained for herself that she would be unable to get up. After a few attempts, she seemed to decide it was futile, though, stopping and asking about Leanna’s statement.

“No, no one from the village will come to the estate since Mother died.” She paused, considering how much to tell Miss Bronte. “I’m not supposed to know, but they say that the place has been cursed because Papa pushed Mother down the stairs.” Realizing how that sounded, Leanna hurried to reassure Miss Bronte. “It isn’t true, of course. Papa would never do something like that, even if Mother and he didn’t get along. And the police investigated, and said it was an accident.”

Just as she said that John arrived with Mrs. Browne, who took one look at the situation, and sent John off to fetch Mr. Browne and one of the stable hands to assist Miss Bronte to the carriage.

Kory

Old 01-06-2016, 02:50 AM

"Ah, I see." Joanna kept her composure, though inside she was panicking a little about people thinking the home was cursed. She didn't consider herself too superstitious, but she found when a crowd of people have the same gut feeling that was usually a sign of something strange afoot. Joanna looked at Leanna, something strange was definitely afoot here, however, Joanna was no detective, and besides, she had one job here: Teach the child. The sooner she could accept that and get on with her work, perhaps the sooner she'd realize that the superstitious minds were nothing to fret over.

Joanna noticed how quickly Leanna seemed to defend her father, "Of course it isn't true, dear. Your father seems like a gentle man."

Joanna felt embarrassed again as Mr. Browne arrived with help to get Joanna upright then into the carriage. Joanna tried to convince them that she was fine and could walk, at first,

"All I need is for someone to get me to my feet, see? No prob-" Joanna tried her hardest to avoid the trip to the doctor, but the pain in her ankle wouldn't cease even for a second as she tried to stand on it again and again. It seemed that fate had given the call and she had to answer to it. Joanna leaned on Mr. Browne and the stable man as they lifted her into the carriage, all the while she grumbled and moaned about doctors being untrustworthy and insensitive.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-11-2016, 02:53 PM

Leanna was bound and determined to go with Miss Bronte to see Dr. Smythe, for several reasons. First of all, she was worried about Miss Bronte, and felt a little guilty about her injury. If she hadn’t agreed to the race, perhaps Miss Bronte would have been more careful coming down the stairs. Secondly, she wanted to make sure the Doctor’s bill went to her Papa, not Miss Bronte. Doctor’s bills could be expensive, and she was sure her Papa could afford it. Thirdly, it was an excuse to go to town. Leanna rarely left the estate, and she was not about to let an opportunity to do so pass her by. Thus, once Miss Bronte was safely in the carriage, Leanna climbed in after her, before anyone could object.

“Leanna...” Mrs. Browne said, and Leanna could tell be her tone that an objection was forthcoming.

“Miss Bronte will need to be introduced to Doctor Smythe. Besides, I thought one of the main reasons for Miss Bronte coming was that you had other duties besides watching me. If I go with Miss Bronte, I won’t be in the way.”
Leanna spoke quickly, before Mrs. Bronte could actually say she shouldn’t go.

Mrs. Browne frowned for a moment, then sighed. “I suppose you’re right, but perhaps you should ask Miss Bronte is she feels up to watching you, with her injury.”

Leanna turned to Miss Bronte with a pleading expression. “Do you mind if I come with you? I promise I’ll be on my best behavior.”