Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 01-15-2016, 02:33 AM

Leanna was definitely right! Joanna wasn't going to simply abandon her duties here with Leanna by leaving her in the care of Mrs. Browne, though Mrs. Browne was a lovely woman, indeed, Joanna was determined to pull her own weight. Joanna looked at Mrs. Browne with a kind smile,

"Actually, I could use the company. It's been a while since I've seen a doctor... I could use someone to hold my hand." Joanna smiled again. She was also determined to make sure that no one could actually see quite how nervous she was, or how much her injury hurt her. It was going to be embarrassing to explain to Lord Rathingar about how this happened. She wasn't looking forward to his wrath at all.

Joanna kept unusually quiet after that. She reached out for Leanna's hand before the carriage was about to move. Joanna hated, HATED doctors. But, as a lady, she had to be the example and show Leanna that obedience was important in society, that doctors also had a task in the body of the world. While, she hoped she could be the eyes and ears in Leanna's world, doctors were more like the toenails or the useless wisdom teeth of Joanna's world. She grit her teeth with each minute that ticked by. Feeling anxious about seeing the doctor.

The pain was certainly unbearable. After another few minutes, beads of sweat began to form on Joanna's forehand and she rubbed her temples with her fingertips as she hummed softly, trying to evade the sensation for a while. She started to fear that maybe she'd broken her ankle. That would be horrid! Her first day and shed injured herself to the point where she'd be no use at all to Leanna. What if Lord Rathingar terminated her employment?! She truly needed this job, yes, she had a decent reputation, indeed, but she had so looked forward to working for a Lord. None of her previous employers in the past had such wealth. She could certainly use the money, and with an injury of such magnitude shed not be able to find any new employment should she be unemployed now and try to seek new households.

Joanna caught herself worrying and did her best to stop it. She focused on Leanna.

"Leanna? Perhaps we can take this time to practice our anatomy." Joanna's voice wavered a little, though she did her best to sound confident and cheery. "I am sure that once we arrive at the doctor's office, he can explain to us the major bones of the body. You're so young, still, perhaps we could simply focus on basic anatomy. Lips, eyes, nose, head, ankles, feet, toes..." Joanna trailed off a little, closing her eyes. She did her best to relax a little, the more stressed she became, the worse her pain felt. As much as she hated to admit it, it seemed the only thing SE edged to do to feel a little better was sit still until they had arrived at the doctor's place of business.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-12-2016, 08:40 PM

Leanna watch Miss Bronte anxiously as the carriage ride progressed. She noticed the sweat that began to be visible on Miss Bronte’s forehead, and considered saying something to distract her from the pain, but didn’t want to bother her. After a few minutes, Miss Bronte spoke. Leanna focused on her words, trying not to be too worried about the way Miss Bronte had trailed off. She was a little offended at being called young. She was five and a half years old, and that wasn’t young at all. Maybe grownups saw anyone that wasn’t a grownup as young. She chose to ignore the bit about naming body parts, as well, as Miss Bronte wouldn’t be able to see if she pointed to the appropriate parts anyway.

“Don’t worry, Miss Bronte, we don’t have very far to go, now. We’ve already entered the outskirts of the village, and Doctor Smythe’s office is on the main street. “ Leanna paused, a thought occurring to her. “I bet Doctor Smythe knows where the funny bone is. I overheard John telling one of the other stable boys that he’d hit his funny bone once, but it didn’t sound like he thought it was funny at all.”

Leanna gave Miss Bronte’s hand a little squeeze, hoping to reassure her. So far as she could tell, no sane person liked going to the doctor’s. Doctors, in her somewhat limited experience, had a tendency to poke and prod and ask embarrassing questions. The last time she been to see Doctor Smythe, he had been extremely annoying, talking to Mrs. Browne as if Leanna wasn’t even there for several minutes before he even acknowledged her presence. Still, once he had completed his poking and prodding and she had answered his questions, he had given Mrs. Browne medicine for Leanna to take for a week, and it had made her tummy stop hurting, so surely he could help Miss Bronte feel better too.

Kory

Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 AM

When Joanna felt Leanna's little hand squeeze hers, it definitely made her feel a little better. Joanna mustered up a weak smile. It shouldn't be too long now before they'd reach the village. Oh, it put her in quite a sad headspace to think of how Lord Rathingar would react to all this! Her first day as Leanna's governess and she'd already proven herself to be clumsy, unfeminine and pathetic. Surely, a Lord would expect more poise from a woman, especially one with such high levels of education.

Joanna's smile slowly faded and she let out a long sigh. It was going to be a long day. The pain continue to shoot up the rest of her leg as she tried to defy the laws of nature and move it, hoping that any second now it would miraculously heal up and they could return back to the mansion without making herself look anymore foolish. She was dreading the trip to the doctor's. Frankly, Joanna didn't believe in doctors. She preferred her own knowledge of wounds and injuries, but this was definitely something she could not handle on her own... Not unless she wanted to spend weeks out of commission. (Which would look very poor to Lord Rathingar, surely.) Joanna was angry.

When the carriage stopped, Joanna's heart did too. She felt as though she were a lamb being led to slaughter. It was a very, very unpleasant feeling, but it did help to have little Leanna there to hold her hand. "Leanna, dear, I appreciate you holding my hand..." She smiled at Leanna, bringing the little hand to her lips to plant a soft kiss on the back of Leanna's hand. "I'm going to need someone to help me into the doctor's office..."Then, Joanna allowed herself to be helped out of the carriage by the driver.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-25-2016, 04:40 PM

Leanna watched nervously as Mr. Alonzo, the driver, assisted Miss Bronte out of the carriage. Once he had assisted her a few halting steps and Leanna was sure she wouldn’t actually bump into her governess and cause her further pain, she climbed out herself.

The doctor’s office was as she remembered it, a relatively humble building. She knew her father had offered to assist in building a new more modern office for Doctor Smythe had refused, stating that his current office had served him well for thirty years, and he wasn’t going to abandon it in his old age. He had however accepted assistance in making sure the building was in good repair, and in installing some of the newer medical machines. The red brick building was two stories tall, and the planters on the second story windows were normally filled with cheerful flowers, although this late into the season, the flowers were mostly mums. A path of carefully laid stones led to the door.

Don’t worry, Miss Bronte, I’ll run ahead and ask them to bring the chair with wheels.” Leanna said, hurrying forward to knock on the door of the Doctors office. Mrs. Smythe, who had served as a Nurse for her husband’s practice for as long as Leanna could remember, answered.
"Miss Barrons! Is everything alright?” Mrs. Smythe looked past Leanna and assessed the situation before Leanna could respond. “Oh, dear. Let me get the chair, and take a quick look. Dr. Smythe will probably want to fire up that new contraption your father insisted he needed, that take pictures that reveal the skeleton. “ Mrs. Smythe retreated to a side room for a moment, then brought out a chair that had two small wheels in front, and slightly larger ones in back. She brought it outside, and directed Mr. Alonzo “Help the young lady down. No need to put anymore strain on the injury then necessary.” Turning to Miss Bronte, she put on a reassuring expression. “I’m Nurse Smythe. If you don’t mind me asking, what happened?

Kory

Old 11-04-2016, 03:53 AM

"Thank you, dear..." Joanna said to Leanna as the young girl went to fetch the doctor. When they brought the chair with wheels, Joanna was helped into it and thankfully

When the good nurse had asked Joanna to explain what happened, her face lit up into a bright, blush. She wasn't too sure she wanted to admit that she was running down the stairs and fell. Joanna laughed nervously, "Well... it's quite simple, actually... You see, I was walking with young Joanna..." To lie? Or not to lie. Joanna felt horrid, she was supposed to be setting an example for young Leanna and she'd already failed the child and her father once. Joanna stopped herself from lying further. "... Well.... I was running to catch Leanna and I tripped over the heel of my boot."

Joanna had hoped that the nurse would not laugh at her misfortune. Surely, she understood just how terribly difficult it was to wear women's clothing... Joanna was just thankful that her corset didn't slip and render her paralyzed. She also hoped that her corset didn't damage anything. She hated wearing the thing, but did so to show Leanna the "proper" way to dress for a lady. She hoped that Lord Rathingar appreciated it, though, would she have been governess for a servant girl or peasant's child, she would have decided against wearing the bloody thing.

Another shooting pain stabbed Joanna's ankle and she groaned a little, hoping to see the doctor soon...