salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 AM

I think the thread title is self-explanatory :)

What plays by Shakespeare have you read and loved? or perhaps, disliked?
Are there any lines or language that have confused you?
What are your thoughts on the re-enactments of these plays in modern times?

So far, I have read the following plays by Shakespeare:

Macbeth
Hamlet
Romeo and Juliet
A Midsummer Night's Dream
The Merchant of Venice

I am hoping to someday see Macbeth performed by Alan Cumming. ^_^

iFailed
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-22-2014, 01:31 AM

I love Much Ado About Nothing. I really enjoy the parts with Beatrice and Benedick as their wits bounce off of each other. I also love one scene with Dogberry.

Quote:
CONRADE
Away! You are an ass, you are an ass!

DOGBERRY
Dost thou not suspect my place? Dost thou not suspect my
years? Oh, that he were here to write me down an ass! But
masters, remember that I am an ass, though it be not
written down, yet forget not that I am an ass.—No, thou
villain, thou art full of piety, as shall be proved upon thee by
good witness. I am a wise fellow and, which is more, an
officer and, which is more, a householder and, which is
more, as pretty a piece of flesh as any is in Messina, and one
that knows the law, go to, and a rich fellow enough, go to,
and a fellow that hath had losses, and one that hath two
gowns and everything handsome about him.—Bring him
away.—Oh, that I had been writ down an ass!

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:22 PM

merchant of Venice contains my favour Shakespeare speech. But my second favourite is at the end of Titus andronicus. Read that one next!

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 05-14-2015, 03:54 AM

{{ Lavinia: Of course you like Titus <3 <3 <3 Good call.

And are you talking about the "quality of mercy" speech? Cause I've totally got that memorized. }}

I am absolutely gaga for A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's got fairies in it. Can you blame me? Rolling with the comedies, I am equally enamored of Much Ado about Nothing and Twelfth Night.

There are two versions of Much Ado that I adore, the David Tennet and Catherine Tate and the Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson version. I do enjoy Joss Whedon's take on it as well, but it's lacking some of the charm (Though casting Nathan Fillion as Dogberry is so SO spot on amazing).

Toni
road warrior

Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 PM

Macbeth has been my favorite for about five or six years now. I love both psychology of it, and the brutality. I want to rewrite it as a novel, mixing in some ideas of mine that I've developed over the years. I'd also like to one day direct a production of it. I studied The Tempest a few years ago and greatly enjoyed that one, too.

I haven't actually read that many of his plays, and I really ought to read a few more of them this summer. I have a big ol' annotated collection of his later plays, and I got it used from a university bookstore, and the previous owners have scrawled all kinds of interesting insights in the margins that have helped me understand the plays in new ways.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-09-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavinia View Post
merchant of Venice contains my favour Shakespeare speech. But my second favourite is at the end of Titus andronicus. Read that one next!
I have never read The Merchant of Venice, but I saw it performed in a school play many years back! Very intense and suspenseful, that scene... (if you know what I'm talking about!)

knittingandsarcasm
Champion of Kirkwall

Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 PM

I've read most of the Tragedies for school, most recently Titus Andronicus. I'd recommend that for anyone who wants to experience the bloodbath of Macbeth but without the intrigue. It's mostly just a gore-fest with disturbing themes and imagery.

My favorite plays are Much Ado About Nothing (LOVE the Tennant/Tate play!) and A Midsummer Night's Dream. The latter's 2014 Globe Theatre production used to be online but I haven't been able to find it recently; I'd definitely give it and all the other Globe Shakespeare productions a watch if you're able. It really is the best way to reward yourself for finishing the play and they're all beautiful shows.

I also went with a friend recently to a production of S***-faced Shakespeare, which was basically a one hour condensed production of AMND in which one of the actors (it was Demetrius for us) gets highly inebriated before the show and performs amongst an otherwise sober cast. It's hard enough to perform Shakespeare while sober, I mostly felt sorry for the actor during the performance. But it WAS pretty entertaining. :)

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 02-27-2016, 05:18 AM

Haha, that sounds like fun to watch, knittingandsarcasm!

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 03-03-2016, 03:14 PM

I had to read Hamlet last semester for a class. I thought it was really boring and didn't understand why the "To be or not to be..." part is so famous. Later I looked it up and something I read said because he thinking about suicide, but I totally didn't get that from the text.