Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 AM

So maybe it's Grinchy of me to gripe about getting presents, but sometimes I really have to wonder what the other person was thinking.

How about you? Have you received any baffling or downright bad gifts in your lifetime? Have any funny stories you'd like to share?

------

In the spirit of giving, I'll go first.

The best/worst gift ever given went to my cousin. My grandma, bless her heart, always gives my cousins and I small presents every year. That particular year the presents seemed a little *ahem* special.

I received a pair of fuzzy pink socks and an unscented candle in a small bucket. Which on it's own is a pretty WTF gift, but I think my cousin's gift is still the worst. He got a bag of change (mostly pennies) and a rock with my grandmother's dog's face painted on it.

Can you guys top that?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-24-2012, 02:49 AM

i got a seven pack of white granniepanties from my Grandmother,
the present my mother gave her the year before and it was what she had asked for!

two of me could have fit in them.
i had to say thank you AND write her a thank you note!
thank God i didn't have to send her a picture,like we normally do with gifts!

The Real Nikki
One more time to Pretend.
Send a message via MSN to The Real Nikki

Old 12-24-2012, 03:14 AM

I remember when I was fourteen or so, my oldest brother and I thought it would be super awesome and funny if we gave our dad a pet rock. So we found a huge one, painted it a bit, then found a big box to put it in and wrap up. He was not happy when he found a rock that his teenage children found for him.

Heh anyways, worst present I got from someone was the turtleneck sweater I got from my Uncle Bobby. He just got back from Germany, where he was stationed for the Army, and when he was passing out cool German things (clock for my mom, beer for my dad, these cool little toys for my brothers) I was getting all excited for mine. But nope, I got an ugly badly-fitted sweater. It was way too big for me, it was like brown with fish on it, and it was just not me.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 12-24-2012, 03:24 AM

When I was about 14 my older sister decided that the perfect gift for me that Christmas was a cheap black/red feather boa and a set of adhesive pink/holographic false eyelashes. Considering I got her a nice bronze lantern for her to put candles in that year I was pretty put out with her at the time. She's always been awful with gifts but that one kind of took the cake.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 AM

I got a stuffed animal when I turned sixteen. That was the worst present I've ever received in my entire life. HAHA

Ascadellia
(╯°□°)╯...
Penpal
Send a message via MSN to Ascadellia Send a message via Yahoo to Ascadellia

Old 12-24-2012, 05:12 AM

I once got a childrens book on Snow White. The kind you get at the Dollar store. The kind that only has like, five pages... XD

I love reading, but come on.. Really?
Reeeaalllyy??? >.< It's not even-- I was speechless, needless to say.

The Real Nikki

Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 AM

I love to read, but I get really nervous when I ask for books as gifts. Like, I don't know what I want, just anything. But sometimes I get something that I already read, or worse a ROMANCE NOVEL ugh. A children's book is something I haven't gotten yet (as an adult that is)

Ascadellia
(╯°□°)╯...
Penpal

Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 AM

you hate romance novels? I'm very picky with mine. XD

I like them with more substance than just the lovey dovey stuff.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-24-2012, 07:51 AM

i would have liked the dogface painted rock.
trade ya some white granniepanties!

Sakiko123
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 AM

I'd love a cute plushie for Christmas! Better than what's below...
My younger step-brother thought it would be funny to place a large, squeaking plastic spider the size of my head in a box with a lid and wrap it to give to me for Christmas... I'm terrified of those... Deathly terrified...
Luckily my mother or step-father caught him just after he'd put the lid on. Being curious, I wanted to know what had happened and was terrified at the story. Especially since my brother was yelling it to my face! He was angry at me for sure. Not my fault he got himself grounded.

Death_to_the_reaper
I'm alive. Message me if you rem...

Old 12-24-2012, 07:59 AM

The one year, I got socks from my mother. Yes, I asked for them but I did not want them for Christmas...

The same year, I think, I was hinting to my dad for a new laptop and what did I get? A $20 gift card to Wal-mart. But I'm glad that year I got him a $10 gift card to McDonald's.

Sakiko123
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-24-2012, 08:13 AM

Does seem traditional to get not only socks for Christmas, but also underwear... Might be a dead tradition now, though... What with everything else out there that's much more exciting.
Has to be better than opening a box containing a phobia, though. :P Or getting hygiene products that you're allergic to...

Ascadellia
(╯°□°)╯...
Penpal

Old 12-24-2012, 08:22 AM

That'd be sad, if someone got you something like that.

Or, uh... something that you have no clue wtflip they were thinking when they got it for you. XD

Sakiko123
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 AM

Or something not particularly needed at the time. It's also not helpful when the gift giver doesn't know the gift receiver very well. In which case they tend to go a bit too safe...
It's different when they've known you in the past though. Then they'd just look back on what you liked as a child let's say and get that instead and hope it's still liked by that child whose now an adult.
Yeah, it can be hard getting the right gift, too, for someone...

Pa-pancake
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via MSN to Pa-pancake

Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 AM

LOL! I believe the worst I received s far is a mermaid statuette that was supposed to be a table ornament of some sort... It was made out of clay, painted on with... cheap wings which are kinds mangled looking...

Firstly, its ugly XD
Then, its a mermaid with wings??? Its some kind of weird creature now... Maybe they were fins at first but were twisted upward to be point blue wings? With cheap glitter on it...

LOL! Its sitting on a shelf in my sister's room now :P

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥
Send a message via AIM to Liztress

Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiko123 View Post
Does seem traditional to get not only socks for Christmas, but also underwear... Might be a dead tradition now, though... What with everything else out there that's much more exciting.
Has to be better than opening a box containing a phobia, though. :P Or getting hygiene products that you're allergic to...
Well, 'Santa' (or rather me and my boyfriend) give our boys socks and underwear for Christmas every year. Granted, they get a good deal of toys too. >.>

You know... I think the worst thing I got had to be some costume jewelry that you could tell was meant for a young girl. And even then, I thought it was pretty. Just not something I'd wear. :(

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 PM

I suppose this isn't the worst gift in the world...but when I was in 7th grade my mom had asked my brothers and me if we wanted rolling backpacks for school and I was like "NONONONONO" because I hate rolling backpacks. So she went ahead and got me a rolling backpack for Christmas. >.< I was like "Ma....I don't usually say things but I'd hate for you to lose your money...I WILL NOT use this" My little brother chimed in and said HE would so she gave my present to him and bought my the Lord of the Rings soundtrack the next day...which was great because I've listened to it to the point where it's scratched as all get out - Howard Shore is a musical genius :) So it worked out in the end :P

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 12-24-2012, 01:34 PM

The worst Christmas gift I've ever gotten from school was a stupid candy bar. They had a ten dollar limit, so I picked out a barbie for somebody else to get (it was random drawing) and I really like the Barbie and cried because I had to give her away. My mom was like oh it will be okay, you'll get something nice in return. And what did I get? A dumb chocolate bar. I this year is gonna top that candy bar though, I'm gonna get a new toilet. Our youngest son flushed a car down and it got stuck. So hubby got the bright idea of taking the toilet off and trying to find it. Well he broke the darn tank and now instead of buying me my gifts today (he always waits until the 24th for some stupid reason) he has to spend the money on a new toilet. Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed, but I can't say anything because he'll just get upset.

Bound Birdie
Mistress of Mischief and Mayhem

Old 12-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Worst gift EVER:
(not to me thankfully it was secret Santa at my work)
but this one guy got a poor girl POOR strips! (yes those things you put on your nose to pull out blackheads) O.o

The Real Nikki

Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 PM

Haha gross!! Cleaning supplies aren't a very gift anyways.

That makes me slightly hypocritical thought, seeing as I bought my boyfriend cologne this year. (along with other stuff, but still)

Ascadellia
(╯°□°)╯...
Penpal

Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Worst gift is No gift.. v.v;

I've participated in Secret Santas before, and I always end up with the person who Never gets anything..

Hatake Ayumi
College Student

Old 12-25-2012, 01:45 AM

When I was 16 my aunt and uncle got me jewelry. Not just any jewelry, a hello kitty sparkling necklace. And I was a pretty tomboy, I'll-wear-jeans-and-a-t-shirt-and-a-button-down-overneath-it-everyday type of gal.
No thank you.

ainebella
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to ainebella

Old 12-25-2012, 06:47 PM

I think the worst one I have ever gotten was this year. My dad's biological father gives us cards every year, I dont mind this i just look at it and put it in the pile of cards i get. But this year he decides to give us his business card with it..... I was not amused, he put it into each card for us.... I was like WTF?

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-25-2012, 10:17 PM

I suppose the worst gift I've gotten was from my father when I was younger. He and my mom had already been separated for quite a while so he wasn't too aware of the things I like and got my sister and I baby dolls in little pink dress. Not my kind of thing at all.

kandii_k
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to kandii_k

Old 12-25-2012, 10:18 PM

White elephant party...i got toilet paper