View Poll Results: Do you watch the dub or undub first?
Dub 2 13.33%
Undub 4 26.67%
I'm good with either 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reciter5613
Needing purpose

Old 10-28-2014, 10:51 PM

When you watch an anime for the first time do you prefer to watch the English dub or the original undub version?

Usually I go dubbed since I suck at keeping up with subtitles. The only exceptions if they are low budget dubs (usually hentai) or I'm too impatient for them to dub it (like with attack on titan)

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 PM

I always watch it in it's original language, and with subs if it's not in english.

Xya
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-02-2014, 02:45 PM

I usually like if the Anime has dubbed versions.

Miyan
Miyan

Old 11-20-2014, 01:17 AM

I'd prefer the ones in the original language, plus it a way to improve my Japanese learning too in that way. With dub version, the mouth saying sometimes did not fit with what they're saying.

Cryfelle

Old 11-22-2014, 08:27 AM

I only watch Anime that uses their original language!

HarleyQuinn2016
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-17-2016, 02:01 AM

I would say I like either. To me it does not matter unless the dub is poorly made but most dubs I have seen seem to be pretty good.
I would say that that 4kids was the worst dub makers but these days they are not around so it does not matter anymore.

MusicEmo
Kira

Old 11-17-2016, 04:15 AM

It depends on the reason I'm watching it. If I'm watching it because I want to know the story I'll usually watch subbed. If I'm just watching it because a friend told me so, or for background noise I'll usually watch dubbed.

I always hear people say subbed is automatically superior to dubbed, but I've seen some really bad subs too. There was one anime I watched about japanese folklore and in the subs it refereed to Tengu as "black crow goblin demons" instead of Tengu, or "Crow Demons", or even "Heavenly Dog" because what tengu technically translates to. Onibi were called "Baby fire demons" versus Onibi or Will o' Wisps (The kanji for Onibi 鬼火 can be translate to Will o' Wisps").

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 11-18-2016, 04:10 AM

These days, I pretty much watch anime as it airsor the day after, so subs are the only option. It's fine, since it's my preferred option. I'd much rather hear the original voices and stuff because I feel a lot is lost in dubbing.

There are some high quality dubs out there with really good casts, so there are a few anime I've only watched in dubs, like Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. I was satisfied with their dubs and never felt the need to hunt down the original. And sometimes for an anime that has really complicated science and other concepts, I'll watch the dub. So I've watched all of Ghost in the Shell in English. It was just way easier.

But again, I lean heavily towards subtitles. I just like them better.

mentlegen

Old 12-31-2016, 07:35 AM

I prefer sub over dub. And if there only is dubbed, then I wouldn't watch it, or I read the manga. :P Because of that I'm probably missing really good dubbed versions.
Sometimes the subtitles seem a bit off to me tho - but then that means my Japanese might be improving, even if it's only through anime lol

reddeath26
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to reddeath26

Old 01-14-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicEmo View Post
It depends on the reason I'm watching it. If I'm watching it because I want to know the story I'll usually watch subbed. If I'm just watching it because a friend told me so, or for background noise I'll usually watch dubbed.

I always hear people say subbed is automatically superior to dubbed, but I've seen some really bad subs too. There was one anime I watched about japanese folklore and in the subs it refereed to Tengu as "black crow goblin demons" instead of Tengu, or "Crow Demons", or even "Heavenly Dog" because what tengu technically translates to. Onibi were called "Baby fire demons" versus Onibi or Will o' Wisps (The kanji for Onibi 鬼火 can be translate to Will o' Wisps").
That's actually quite an interesting point in regards to subs. I must admit I had never really given much thought to the quality of the translations. In saying that, I have also never held that one form is inherently superior to the other. When it comes to my viewing preferences, I simply watch whatever it defaults at. Purely because I don't see the difference between subs and dubs as warranting the effort it would require to stick to one form. I must admit, however, that I don't really like switching midway through a series from one to another.

WhimsicalFox
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-27-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reciter5613 View Post
When you watch an anime for the first time do you prefer to watch the English dub or the original undub version?

Usually I go dubbed since I suck at keeping up with subtitles. The only exceptions if they are low budget dubs (usually hentai) or I'm too impatient for them to dub it (like with attack on titan)
I usually watch anime dubbed if I'm watching it before bed because I'm tired and lazy. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter to me which I watch.