Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 AM

After spending hours on end on this game I have come to love it and really grown fond of the characters. Even though it seems to be a typical JRPG, it has elements that are enduring.

The game is about Asbel and Hubert who are of nobility who are children when the game starts that disobey their father's wishes to go to the secret Lhant Hill where they find a mysterious young girl sleeping among the flowers. They take her back to town and are greeted by Cheria, another childhood friend and granddaughter of the Lhant Lord Butler who has a sickness which makes her weak. The son of the main kingdom comes to visit their father Lord Ashton and they befriend him as Asbel takes him out of the house for an adventure.

The story is full of tragedy and triumph which has nice anime cutscenes, it is a nice addition into the Tales of Series. The game features hidden costumes for each of the playable characters and many arts each character can learn and there are plenty of side quests. A game and RPGer should add to their library of great story RPGs!!

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 AM

I played this game and wasn't all to thrilled with it, honestly. It was alright, but just didn't wow me.

XunknownX
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 AM

I was skeptical about buying it at first, but I loves Symphonia, what I played of Abyss, and I was watching that game since it was going to be for the Wii. I haven't probably even gotten close to beat it but I enjoyed the time I had with it. Had difficulties timing the artes well enough, but I did actually try to challenge myself a bit by doing higher difficulty levels. Can't remember the order, but I did unlock all of them though never dared touch the last one, aha.

But yeah, I enjoyed it... and I hope I'll feel like going back to it again soon.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XunknownX View Post
I was skeptical about buying it at first, but I loves Symphonia, what I played of Abyss, and I was watching that game since it was going to be for the Wii. I haven't probably even gotten close to beat it but I enjoyed the time I had with it. Had difficulties timing the artes well enough, but I did actually try to challenge myself a bit by doing higher difficulty levels. Can't remember the order, but I did unlock all of them though never dared touch the last one, aha.

But yeah, I enjoyed it... and I hope I'll feel like going back to it again soon.
Tales of Symphonia was the best game, I really loved it sooooo... much! There is a series for it on youtube you can watch. The anime, it is pretty close to the game if you have already beaten it. This game is extensive and long, requires a lot of thinking and searching-- I finally broke down and began using some of the FAQs online to find the different costumes which really make the game enjoyable lol. I still have not gotten to the end yet, but am almost there. I play the difficulty on evil which is pretty hard but it yields more experience.

@Princess Bane - Everyone has their own flavor of rpg they enjoy. This is not for everyone.

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love the Tales series. This one just didn't sit well with me- it was the first Tales game that I couldn't connect with any of the characters and the gameplay for me was...meh? I just wasn't impressed overall. But that's only my personal opinion.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBane View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the Tales series. This one just didn't sit well with me- it was the first Tales game that I couldn't connect with any of the characters and the gameplay for me was...meh? I just wasn't impressed overall. But that's only my personal opinion.
It's ok, finding a connection is important. Which Tales do you like the best?

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 AM

Honestly? My favourite Tales was a tie between Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Vesperia. >< I adored Yuri as a main character. D: And Raven.....priceless.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Honestly? My favourite Tales was a tie between Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Vesperia. >< I adored Yuri as a main character. D: And Raven.....priceless.
I know nothing about those... I want to play both...I was holding out hoping they would import the Japanese Playstation three version because you get an extra character to play as. Abyss if for the PS2 right?

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 AM

That is correct. Abyss is for the PS2. I think it's the best installation of the series, or one of the best. If you ever get the chance to play it, you should definately take the opportunity to do so.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
That is correct. Abyss is for the PS2. I think it's the best installation of the series, or one of the best. If you ever get the chance to play it, you should definately take the opportunity to do so.
I think I will take you up on your advice... maybe I will see the connection that draws you into the game after I get a chance to experience it as well.

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 AM

It's just a personal preference, really. I really liked Vesperia too, because the characters were so engaging. Yuri is NOT your typical JRPG main character. lol. He's more of an anti-hero in a way...There's a part of the game where the empire does not properly punish a man who commited atrocities, so Yuri takes it on himself to go and dispose of the man himself later on. The guy deserved it, no doubt. I'm not spoiling anything story-wise, but Yuri was a very strong individual who didn't express any kind of angst or emotional ticks that alot of JRPG main characters suffer from. He's very strong-willed, but cares and fights for who he cares for and doesn't put up with BS. Not from anyone. lol I love Yuri. And all the rest of the characters. I've played Vesperia like....3 times? All the way through.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
It's just a personal preference, really. I really liked Vesperia too, because the characters were so engaging. Yuri is NOT your typical JRPG main character. lol. He's more of an anti-hero in a way...There's a part of the game where the empire does not properly punish a man who commited atrocities, so Yuri takes it on himself to go and dispose of the man himself later on. The guy deserved it, no doubt. I'm not spoiling anything story-wise, but Yuri was a very strong individual who didn't express any kind of angst or emotional ticks that alot of JRPG main characters suffer from. He's very strong-willed, but cares and fights for who he cares for and doesn't put up with BS. Not from anyone. lol I love Yuri. And all the rest of the characters. I've played Vesperia like....3 times? All the way through.
Yuri kind of almost sounds a bit like Kratos from tales of symphonia. I really hope they realease the playstation three copy of tales of \/espira though someday I want to play that too, I heard many good things about it.

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via Yahoo to Bellinda

Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM

I like that game...I'm almost to the end...but its hard to fight Lambda....I died twice...probbly will wait abit and level up more before trying to go back at it again. But it is strange..I wish this game had a strategy guide..I think they have one on ebooks..but I don't any kind of kindle like that to have it. and I found bits and pieces of guides of the game there is one I wish the person finished up on it...the walkthrought I mean. But anyway I really like the game...I hope they make more tales for ps3...I have Tales of the Abyss for PS2. that is the only two tales I have.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 PM

Nice, I'm still trying to grind and finish all of the side quests and find all the costumes. Have you found any of the costumes? They actually make the game a lot more fun... it's eye candy for me. I really love this game. I kind of wished they would of let Cheria be a weak but playable character. The childhood arc was heart wrenching.... It's so funny how the main character is blind to Cheria's crush she has on him. lol Did you see the play they do in a side quest and Cheria and the main character kiss?

I will go attempt to fight Lambda once I finish the side quests...then I want to do the future arc.

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 PM

I'm trying to find them...I think I may have miss some of the side quests..thats why I wish they made the strategy guide in book form. I have found some stuff for the side quests..maybe I can go at it again with the second go around. Lucky I can still do th side quests before going at it..but one thing that puzzles me about..what is the deal with that blank shadow like orb thingy around the character when you travel around?..its around the time that cocoon appeared at World's eye.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 PM

There are some quests that are missable though, so I restarted my game after I went online and researched where all the sidequests were. I cheated because I wanted to see everything lol... the costumes made me want to cheat. It really makes you want to continue the game. The swimsuits are pretty fun to play in lol.

The first side quest is when you first meet Cheria as a child... her father takes her home and you go where she stands in front of her house and you talk to her and Sophie heals her... it's a small event but just one instance of the first side quest.

I'm still trying to get through the challenge battle mode on warrior island though. It's a challenge learning different playing tactics with each character lol.

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-20-2012, 07:15 PM

Yea I like Sophie's swimsuit..a kitty....of course it was funny when she said I am a sexy kitty. But what is up with Malik's and Pascal's swimsuit...that was so wrong...>.< Asbel had the better swimsuit than his brother and Malik...but it makes me wonder what Richard's would look like. >.>

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinda View Post
Yea I like Sophie's swimsuit..a kitty....of course it was funny when she said I am a sexy kitty. But what is up with Malik's and Pascal's swimsuit...that was so wrong...>.< Asbel had the better swimsuit than his brother and Malik...but it makes me wonder what Richard's would look like. >.>
I'm not sure if Richard would have a swimsuit, I don't know if you get him back because I have not gotten to the end yet. I hated when you had to fight the older alien lady, I thought she would of been cool to have had her as a party member. I was hopeful about that at first when she was a non playable character added on the roster... I know it was too good to be true when the other characters began to get suspicious of her behavior.

I like an RPG with lots of playable diverse characters.

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 PM

Yea I think the only time you can have Richard on the party is in the future arc..but like you I haven't gotten there yet. Cause Iwas wondering since he too has titles and such. And you do have in on the party for a short time so Richard is bound to be back on the party at some part just probbly more at the end of the game. Yea I kinda already suspicious her when they agreed to let her come. And knew she was planing something once she saw the insides of the Lambda's cocoon.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 PM

I need to keep playing and do the other side quests... there's a lot of stuff that needs to be done lol.
I been playing Final Fantasy Thirteen as well and need to finish that game as well lol

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 PM

I think I going to restart the tales cause I know I kinda sold some stuff that I needed to give in the requests.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I think I going to restart the tales cause I know I kinda sold some stuff that I needed to give in the requests.
Don't feel bad, I ended up restarting the game so I could try to get most of the side quests. I really like this game as the characters are so endearing. It's hard to catch everything, it's best to keep up with a list of side quests so you don't end up forgetting to do them because some are missable if you don't do it within a small window. It's kind of frustrating because I ended up missing three I think...

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM

yea not sure when I will restart it..right now I'm playing Eternal Sonata

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
yea not sure when I will restart it..right now I'm playing Eternal Sonata
Oh yes, another great game for sure! I got the playstation three version and haven't beaten that one yet but I did beat the one for the Xbox 360. I absolutely love the game! I like the playstation three version how you can play as Prince or King Crescendo and Princess or Queen Serenade.

I think Jazz is probably the most strong character in the game actually. I like that trio of Jazz, Clauves, and Falsetto. The story was very well written I think. I really like how Polka is an ode to the real sister of Frederich Chopin who really did die of turberculosis back in the day. I also like how you get a minor history lesson every so many parts of the story that goes by. Especially when they play an actual piece by Chopin especially the Revolutionary Etude which is just absolutely fantastic! The story behind the Etude and what was going on when it was written is just so fascinating.

I like how this game incorporates classical music as to introduce classical music to the younger audience. As a musician/pianist I really can appreciate the game and it's musical depth and meaning. Anyways I did make a thread for this game on here, although I don't know if it still exists... lol

Yea take your time and enjoy this game, Tales of Grace will still be waiting on you when you finish this masterpiece of a game.