The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Has anyone played it? It's based off of a game I played as a very young child and, unlike many other games comes with a beautiful perma-death feature.

Risk turning to ash if you die once, and dead for good if you fail to revive twice.

The game is hard to play and very unforgiving, making it perfect for players that don't like "easy mode".

To my knowledge not even the people in the Japanese server have successfully reached max level due to this perma-death feature.

While the game is still a recent release, there are bugs and glitches all over the place, server crashes, and many problems they are trying to fix, but the game hasn't even been out a week and has been overflowing with users, more than they prepared their servers to handle.

--

To those who have played Wizardry in the old days, here are the old features I recognized:
  • Gilgamesh's Tavern,
  • Rolling for stats instead of getting base stats (1-24) and you can roll infinite times.
  • The ability to change class
  • High play difficulty level from the start
  • Perma-Death
  • Labyrinth-like dungeons
  • Have to sleep at an Inn/heal at a resting spot to level
  • Much much more

Risque
bing chilling

Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 PM

I want to try it out.. been wanting a good dungeon crawler MMO but Wizardry Online doesn't look to forgiving on the solo traveler. I would totally try it out though o:

How is the combat? Is it polished or rough? I couldn't really tell from gameplay vids.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Oh you can definitely solo play this game... but it takes a lot more skill. I'd likely wait a week or so before starting up though, there are some major bugs that need fixed first unless you don't mind unplanned maintenance, server crashes, and getting disconnected without much warning.

You couldn't tell because... sadly... many of the players doing gameplays never.... dodge =.=
While for my priest I am severely lacking in skills (Not an easy first class but you live much longer)

If you wanted to go "solo" for the most part I would probably recommend doing a lot of research on what class is the best at solo play. Mine is going to be a Priest/Fighter combination to make a Paladin type class.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM

Looks and sounds like it could possibly be an intense and interesting game. May have to give a whirl just to see how well I like it. Perma-death? Not sure I like that feature... maybe a fifty percent experience point loss... but a perma death is insanely harsh on the players lol.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 PM

Harsh yes... but it promotes playing carefully and makes your character much more valuable. Sure I've died 3 times, but so far I've been able to revive without character loss by "donating items to the statue"

What perma-death does... is it weeds out all the stupid high level players that in other games you will run into... so even just by level 10 or so (I'm only lv 5 and I've been playing for a few days) most of the terrible players will already be weeded out so parties will be more likely to work out better.

LoversEnd
It is only until you see the sun...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 AM

I bookmarked it. I'm going to attempt to play it tomorrow and join up with you, Poet. Since you were talking about it in the disabilities thread. o; I've never played it before, so this would be my first time. Also, it's going to be a challenge for me. I have a hard time not dying in games. x.x

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 AM

This will be a good test then for learning to live longer ^^

Don't worry though... o.o I die all the time too... not as much on my thief but on my other classes I do.
I don't have class tomorrow so feel free to let me know anytime ^^