TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 PM

*pokes head in* hi

Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Send a message via AIM to Renee the Rabid Squirrel Send a message via Yahoo to Renee the Rabid Squirrel

Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 PM

I'm using Excel. :P

Flux
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee the Rabid Squirrel View Post
I'm using Excel. :P
Does it involve formulas too?

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 PM

Must...finish...book

Flux
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiyoTsuki View Post
Must...finish...book
Reading or writing?

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM

Reading. I finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone last night! Of course, I turned around and started Chamber of Secrets as soon as I was done. :)

Flux
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM

I read the Toreador book, then started the Tzimisce book last night, so I know the feeling.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM

Never heard of them.

Flux
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-15-2010, 12:31 AM

They're books in the Vampire: The Masquerade clan novels.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-15-2010, 12:31 AM

Hmm....I'll try to check them out.

Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Send a message via AIM to Renee the Rabid Squirrel Send a message via Yahoo to Renee the Rabid Squirrel

Old 07-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Does it involve formulas too?
Nah, not this work. It's easy peasy - the excel is more for ease of flow and chart happiness, and the ability to sort by names, etc etc rather than plugging in the mathematical formulas. :3

I haven't read any Harry Potter. *dodges arrows*

Flux
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee the Rabid Squirrel View Post
I haven't read any Harry Potter. *dodges arrows*
Don't worry - I haven't either. The movies are childish (or perhaps naive) enough for me, although they get better (darker and more complex) towards the end. I also feel for quidditch as I feel for nearly all physical sports - suitable for those who can't find something else less barbaric to do (but that's just my opinion; everyone is entitled to their own).

Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Renee the Rabid Squirrel

Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM

I've enjoyed the movies, most definitely - and I agree, they have been getting darker and more complex as they've been going on, which is what I'm told the books do as well. Mind, I still have too many books I should read, some Anne Rice (not high class literature but fun!) as well as the new Yann Martel book and some old classics.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 PM

Hellows!

Flux
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 AM

Warning: The following contains strong opinions which apply to people I have not seen frequent this thread. If you consider yourself in one of the following categories, I apologize and say not all people in the following categories are horrible.

I have read a lot of Anne Rice's work, Christopher Pike's work, and a number of other darker authors' works. I enjoy complexity, figuring things out for myself, and having a set of rules to work with in a story. I also prefer to not see abilities or effects needlessly hampered (which is what I consider the wands in Harry Potter to do). As such, I find most of the popular literature lacking in content, written for an undeserving audience, and rewarding the wrong authors.

Not that the Harry Potter series doesn't do well for it's intended audience (which starts in third grade) or that the Twilight series doesn't work for insecure middle-school girls, but then don't try to market them to "all ages"; market the former series to children and the latter to middle- and high-schoolers, but leave the adults out of it and give us something sinful, delightful, with good plot, and rated at least "R" (minimum age 17 in the USA) and let us enjoy it instead of subjecting us to something we consider a "guilty pleasure" because we're guilty watching it with a bunch of (either younger or older) children.

Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Renee the Rabid Squirrel

Old 07-20-2010, 03:22 PM

But then what will undereducated mormon soccer moms not interested in real sex read if they don't have Twilight?

:lol:

Urbeth
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 PM

LOLZ, Renee! ^^

Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Renee the Rabid Squirrel

Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 PM

I try, I really do. :lol: I used to read Christopher Pike back when I was...an insecure middle school girl actually! Lololol! I'd probably still enjoy the books, they were good fun.

I want to read more Yann Martel and Margaret Atwood, and definitely more Neil Gaiman and John Irving. :)

----------

And now that I've found out that there's a film version of 'The World According to Garp' with John Lithgow, Glenn Close and Robin Williams, I want to see it super awesomely muchly. :D

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 PM

I'm back on.

venus_starshine
*^_^*

Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM

*waves* Hey everyone c:

Flux
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 PM

@venus_sunshine: welcome back.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-20-2010, 11:34 PM

I've been reading Sherlock Holmes ever since I was eleven, actually...and I don't think that's something most eleven-year-olds read. Then again, I was being homeschooled at the time.

Urbeth
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 AM

Wow! I haven't even read some of this stuff. I went through a Lurlene McDaniel phase as a teen. A brief--very brief--Nancy Drew phase (way before the movie). As an 11-year-old I really like Fear Street and Choose-Your-Own adventure. But by fifteen I had already moved on to the adult Science Fiction/Fantasy part of the library. Somehow I really like I Who Have Never Known Men which isn't something most fifteen year old teens would read. I was very picky with books--and I usually avoided the popular stuff just because it was popular.

Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Renee the Rabid Squirrel

Old 07-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Hey there Tsuki!

I read my first Sherlock Holmes book at the age of 10. The Hounds of the Baskervilles. I was bored to tears. I understood it, I'm pretty sure - it was part of my 'gifted program' reading. I don't think the plot itself was boring, but the way the book was laid out. At the age of 10, and perhaps even now, I just really found it a chore to read rather than a pleasure. Fiction shouldn't have to be a chore! It can be challenging and exciting and you might have to pick through it with a fine tooth comb for meanings...but not a chore.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 PM

The first Sherlock Holmes story i read was Silver Blaze. I'd been watching a show called "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century" at the time as well. It was really good; it was set in the 22nd century, but it renacted many of the original Sherlock Holmes stories.