Moist.

Because it's ever so.... CREEPY.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 PM

Clair has a few words she likes:
Papillon (butterfly in French)
Schizophrenia (just love to say it)
Miserable... I'm not sure why, but I love the sound of it...
and Uber

Those are the words I can think of that I love.

Edit::
I forgot some:
Oxymoron ( :cool: )
metaphor (I love metaphors in writing, so the word is totally cool to me)

Last edited by Clair Voyant; 03-12-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Em Yeu Anh
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 AM

HARRUMPH!
(to clear the throat audibly in a self-important manner)
What an amazing word.
Makes me feel like Winnie the Pooh when I say it.
I'm not sure why, he's probably said it before.
I can imagine him saying it.

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-10-2015, 11:57 PM

Okay! I'm reviving this thread because I have a lot of words that I like nowadays. Here are just a few:

Nonchalant - I've just been feeling like that for pretty much everything in life right now. If I would come up with a status, it would be nonchalant everytime

Catharsis - I learned this word in class, and I just like the way it just rolls off the tongue. I don't really know what it means though...

Chimera - I came across this word when I was reading FMA and I just liked it, I don't know why it means a state of illusion or imagination. It was also the name of a female monster in Greak mythology that had a lion's head, a goat's body and a serpent's tale.

It seems like all the pretty names (Hydra, Siren, Medusa) are the names of monsters, it is kind of sad, actually

(Will edit as soon as I think of other words to add )

Last edited by Aimless.Wanderer; 01-11-2015 at 07:02 PM..

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-11-2015, 03:08 AM

I'll have to save this thread for future reference ^_^ I definitely have some favorite words to post, will have to do so once I remember.

LoonyLunetta
Ninja like a turtle~

Old 01-11-2015, 07:01 AM

*Sneaks into newly revived thread* I have quite a few favorite words actually. Wiggle being my favorite lately

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-11-2015, 06:51 PM

My favorite word is probably ardent. In the most common usage today, it means to be passionate or enthusiastic, often with romantic undertones. As the Oxford English Dictionary puts is:
Quote:
Glowing with passion, animated by keen desire; intensely eager, zealous, fervent, fervid
It comes from a Latin verb meaning "to burn" so it originally refereed to things burning, glowing, being hot, or being combustible. Then people started applying metaphorically to emotions, which hoe we get the current meaning.

Ardent is my favorite term because it's something I like to be: glowingly enthusiastic or passionate. It's like being earnest about something, but with this shiny, loving quality on top. I like ardent so much I created a pseudonym out of it which has come to feel kinda like my real name.

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-11-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyLunetta View Post
*Sneaks into newly revived thread* I have quite a few favorite words actually. Wiggle being my favorite lately
*starts dancing to 'Sexy and I Know It'*

---------- Post added 01-11-2015 at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
My favorite word is probably ardent. In the most common usage today, it means to be passionate or enthusiastic, often with romantic undertones. As the Oxford English Dictionary puts is:

It comes from a Latin verb meaning "to burn" so it originally refereed to things burning, glowing, being hot, or being combustible. Then people started applying metaphorically to emotions, which hoe we get the current meaning.

Ardent is my favorite term because it's something I like to be: glowingly enthusiastic or passionate. It's like being earnest about something, but with this shiny, loving quality on top. I like ardent so much I created a pseudonym out of it which has come to feel kinda like my real name.
I've seen people use the word in stories and I had an idea of what it meant, I just didn't know what it meant exactly. A lot of romance stories seem to use that word a lot, too (Not that I would know... )

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-11-2015, 07:50 PM

Yes, I can see ardent being quite popular in romance novels. It's famously used by Mr. Darcy when he confesses his love to Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice.
Quote:
"You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
It's a great moment. I imagine a lot of romance writers know and love that scene and got the idea there.

zyne
they/them

Old 01-11-2015, 08:26 PM

fluorescent has to be my top fave i think
it was tuesday for a while - not so much the pronunciation but the spelling. i'm a sucker for the "ue" combo
saw chimera up there and that's a really nice one too
also lagoon and imbriferous

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-13-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyne View Post
fluorescent has to be my top fave i think
it was tuesday for a while - not so much the pronunciation but the spelling. i'm a sucker for the "ue" combo
saw chimera up there and that's a really nice one too
also lagoon and imbriferous
Fluorescent is a cool word. I still haven't managed to spell it correctly in one try. Yet
Tuesday made me laugh a little; there is a joke that our class makes on this one girl that says Tuesday like 'Tews-day'
Imbriferous? I've never heard of that word before I'm going to look that up right now...

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-15-2015, 05:01 AM

I like the incredible versatility of the infamous 'F' word...

but my favourite word is dream, both the subconscious sleepy type and the aspirations type.

zyne
they/them

Old 01-15-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii-AznGurlDream-ii View Post
Fluorescent is a cool word. I still haven't managed to spell it correctly in one try. Yet
Tuesday made me laugh a little; there is a joke that our class makes on this one girl that says Tuesday like 'Tews-day'
Imbriferous? I've never heard of that word before I'm going to look that up right now...
.... isn't that how youre supposed to say tuesday? how do you pronounce it? god, i always say things wrong

and umm... it's not very commonly used (not to sound pretentious) it means
relating to rain/rain-causing/etc. (idk if you looked it up or not) i'm pretty fond of rain/water forms in general so P: personal love for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling View Post

but my favourite word is dream, both the subconscious sleepy type and the aspirations type.
ahh, i didn't even think about multiple definitions.. that's cute

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 01-18-2015, 05:31 AM

My favorites aren't down to meaning, more tone and, to borrow a culinary term, mouth feel: talisman, elixir, and caldera. I may be forgetting one. the word pigeon is also nice, and I don't say that because of my fondness for them.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 01-18-2015, 05:35 PM

Superfluous is a great word. As is Loquacious and Fecundity.

I have an issue of knowing wonderfully precise words but not being able to use them because most people don't know them.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 PM

Fun fact! You know how groups of things have specific designations? A gaggle of geese, a murder of crows? A group of nuns is called a superfluity.

I think you should use them, Long. It's when they are used in common parlance that people learn.

Are non-English ones fair game too? If so, katzenkinder . It's German for cat children/kitten.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 01-18-2015, 07:13 PM

I wish I could Biggs. But as a ranger we can't use those awesome words and have to opt for more common words. So green fields instead of verdant, bucolic, pastoral, etc. Because our message will get lost in translation so to speak.

aliceinwonderland99
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-18-2015, 08:35 PM

my favourite word to you a lot is awesome and sorry. I don't know why I use sorry, but I use it a lot. Even when I its not my fault, I'm super apologetic I guess.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 01-18-2015, 10:30 PM

Are you partly Canadian, perhaps?

sailor star rainbow
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 01-18-2015, 11:48 PM

I would have to say my favorite word is Baka. cause my step dad are my friends will act like such idiot's at times. plus sometimes I'll say it jokingly when I get annoyed. the word is Japanese it mean's idiot or stupid if I can recall it right.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-19-2015, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Biggles View Post
Fun fact! You know how groups of things have specific designations? A gaggle of geese, a murder of crows? A group of nuns is called a superfluity.

I think you should use them, Long. It's when they are used in common parlance that people learn.

Are non-English ones fair game too? If so, katzenkinder . It's German for cat children/kitten.
My sister has a whole book devoted to collective nouns! It is totally fascinating, because some seem totally strange and weird, but then there are common ones that we take for granted which are equally as strange and weird.

Now I need to run downstairs and borrow it. There are some lovely ones for ravens that I keep forgetting.

Last edited by Chexala; 01-19-2015 at 03:41 AM..

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 01-19-2015, 03:21 AM

A Troubling of Goldfish is a great collective
When I lived in Syracuse NY there were so many crows they would darken the sky when they went to roost for the night, I tried to convince people that once a group amassed past a certain size it stopped being a Murder of Crows and became a Genocide of Crows.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-19-2015, 03:50 AM

Hahaha! That's pretty awesome. I take it no one really believed you though? Or were you able to convince anyone?

Drat, all the collective nouns for ravens in this book are rather dreary, but I remember there being one that I found really beautiful and wanted to use all the time. Now I can't remember what it was or where I read it, since it's not here. Anyway, the options listed here are: an aerie, a conspiracy, a constable, a tower, or an unkindness.

---------- Post added 01-18-2015 at 07:52 PM ----------

The collectives for cats are fantastic though. They're so in keeping with the nature of cats themselves: a clowder, a comfort, a destruction, a glaring, a kindle, a litter, or a pounce of cats. :3

Last edited by Chexala; 01-19-2015 at 03:58 AM..

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 01-19-2015, 06:15 PM

I don't really have any favorite words, but I really like the word, "spelunking".
It's not one that I use often, though.

I also like vociferous and bodacious.

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-20-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinwonderland99 View Post
my favourite word to you a lot is awesome and sorry. I don't know why I use sorry, but I use it a lot. Even when I its not my fault, I'm super apologetic I guess.
LOL I say sorry a lot as well. It's a weird habit of mine, so yeah. I live about two hours away from the Canadian border, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it do you apologize for saying sorry? Because I do that a lot, too

---------- Post added 01-19-2015 at 08:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor star rainbow View Post
I would have to say my favorite word is Baka. cause my step dad are my friends will act like such idiot's at times. plus sometimes I'll say it jokingly when I get annoyed. the word is Japanese it mean's idiot or stupid if I can recall it right.
Baka is a good word. It does mean 'silly/idiot' in Japanese. I used to know a whole lot of Japanese, but I've been out of practice lately That seems to be the only word that I really remember, though. Its funny how the first words you remember and the last ones you forget in a learned language are the swear words At least that's the case for me >.<

---------- Post added 01-19-2015 at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyne View Post
.... isn't that how youre supposed to say tuesday? how do you pronounce it? god, i always say things wrong

and umm... it's not very commonly used (not to sound pretentious) it means
relating to rain/rain-causing/etc. (idk if you looked it up or not) i'm pretty fond of rain/water forms in general so P: personal love for it
I'm not really sure myself, I pronounce it 'twos-day'. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you get the point across So that's what it means (I faintly remember looking it up, I can't believe I don't remember what it means! ) Water is a really nice thing. We wouldn't be here without it!

---------- Post added 01-19-2015 at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling View Post

The f-bomb (is that what you were referring to?) is surprising, really. You can use it to refer to a lot of things.

I never really thought of the word 'dream' and all of it's various definitions like that before. I guess it never crossed my mind that you can love a word for it's various uses and definitions. Really interesting

Last edited by Aimless.Wanderer; 01-20-2015 at 01:23 AM..