Taure
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-26-2016, 10:28 AM

As this Festival of Winter Nights is my first event since joining a few days ago, I've though we may as wel make it memorable andl get creative while we chat on various event hangouts. There is unfortunately no prize to be given due to my newness, but I think we can enjoy ourselves anyways, don't you think so?

Here are how to play Wintry Stories:

1. Pick one prompt from the last post made.
2. Write a short story of about 50 to 250 words related to the prompt.
3. Make sure to spellcheck and reread yourself!
4. Think up three (3) prompt for the next player to choose from.
5. Post your chosen prompt in a quote, followed by your short story, along with the three prompts you thunk up put in bold at the end of your post.
6. Feel awesome and accomplished at your amazing literary talent.
7. Repeat as much as you'd like (as long as someone else reply first!)

Since we got to start somewhere, I will give you all three starting prompts:

Last minute shopping: You found the perfect present for your favorite relative, but there's only one of its kind left in the shop and three other shoppers looks interested; Grab it, run, fight!

An old legend is told by a cozy hearth at Christmas time.

It's New Year's Eve, and you are about to meet your family after a whole year apart.

Feel free to grab one and write away. Just remember: Have fun!

Last edited by Taure; 12-26-2016 at 04:44 PM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-26-2016, 10:30 AM

i'll send you a few goodies to give away, Taure

Taure
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-26-2016, 10:40 AM

Thank you, hummy!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-26-2016, 10:41 AM

my pleasure
have fun, everyone!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-26-2016, 02:28 PM

This looks fun!

How new are you? What brings ya to Mene?

Maha-Aamir
Meow!

Old 12-26-2016, 02:30 PM

welcome to Menewsha
I shall stalk your thready for cozy wintery stories

Taure
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-26-2016, 04:30 PM

Welcome to all!

@Nephila Pretty darn new, actually! Memories brought me here, from years ago when I had an account I mostly forgotten about.

@Maha-Aamir Thank you, I hope you'll enjoy them!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-26-2016, 04:43 PM

Ah another one. That's four returning faces from the past this week. Awesome.

Taure
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-26-2016, 04:45 PM

I separated the initial prompt by some space, for easier reading. Now I wanna stories! D:

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-26-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
It's New Year's Eve, and you are about to meet your family after a whole year apart.
It's been long, to long since I've seen the crazies that are my family. I know it shouldn't take a silly holiday to spend time with the people you love, but such is life in today's crazy world. In fact this almost didn't happen due to work asking if I'd work the holidays. I was firm with them. Somethings are more important than a raise.

I wonder if aunt Ida - or Stardream as she insists on being called, is still doing the whole Vegan thing. I should have called her. Maybe if I put the dip in a bowl and act like it's home made she won't know its dairy.

I arranged the dip and veggies and stopped to admire my work handy work. Hey not bad. I thought Convincing even. . .Oh who am I kidding! It's not even a week after Christmas and I'm already going on the naughty list.

Three knocks followed by an annoying over ringing of the doorbell.

There's only one person that "knocks" like that. I better go let Uncle Bill in. . . And so it begins. I chug a glass of wine before opening the door for the always first always early relatives.

"Uncle Bill, Aunt Stardream How are you. Please come in I was just setting out the veggie plate."

Oh it's Vegan I trust? She questions

Absolutely!

Now let's see my three prompts are:
(coming up with these were harder than the story for some reason )

The Blizzard that didn't

The year without a winter

That lovable Krampus

mdom
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-26-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
The year without a winter

Christmas was Monica's favorite time of the year. She loved to decorate her house, buy gifts to her loved ones, receive gifts from her loved ones, eat all she could in family meetings... But this year, something seemed off. Fall was ending, but the weather didn't grow colder. It was time to play christmas tunes and put on christmas lights, but there was no snow falling, not even a chill breeze. How could she gift her nieces the scarves she knitted all Summer? They mentioned all kinds of reasons on TV, plus the disastrous consequences - crops wilting, animals dying... Had they been forgotten? Would humanity be finally punished for their sins?
The 25th was coming. The Northern Hemisphere cried for help, but the Southern Hemisphere was also hot, so they couldn't help. Monica bought a portable fan for her nieces. Her christmas dinner was made of salads. She looked up at the sky and made her last prayer "please let there be snow today. Let Winter come. I know we don't deserve, but I might be less consumerist next year and more family oriented". She finished getting dressed up, and when she opened the door, a surprise! Her sister was dressed in a pink wooly coat, for it was snowing in the year without a winter. Some may call it Christmas miracle, but the next Christmas dinner at Monica's house included less decorations and gifts and more family members and charitable actions.

Three themes:

Drunk on eggnogg on christmas eve

Forgot the secret santa present

Long drive on the car until christmas dinner with family

Taure
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-26-2016, 06:04 PM

Lovely, thank you! :)

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-26-2016, 06:18 PM

oh I have to get on lappie
*enjoys the stories*

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 12-26-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Long drive on the car until christmas dinner with family
"What do you mean you forgot the twine?" She stared down her brother, this was their first Christmas back home in some time. They hadn't seen each other in years yet somehow they had gotten the idea to surprise their parents with a family reunion for the holidays. In all this time she wasn't surprised that her brother still wasn't living up to the boy scout motto, 'always be prepared.'

"Exactly that, no twine. I figured they'd have some at the tree stand. How was I supposed to know that were going to run out?" He didn't want to start the holiday off with an argument. They had fought enough during their childhood, this was supposed to be a pleasant holiday. Family, food, and time together.

"Well then how do you propose we get the tree home?" She stood with a hand on her cocked hip, ready to see how he was going to get them out of this situation. The mischievous grin that spread across his face was a throwback to when they were kids. He was thinking of something incredibly stupid and possibly dangerous.

"You're driving, and don't go too fast or take the corners too hard." He said as he climbed up onto the roof with the tree, taking his jacket off he fed it through the windows providing him something to grip as he laid himself over the tree. At least it smelled fantastic up here.

Three prompts:
Too many sprinkles on the cookies.
I didn't see the black ice in time.
Why is it almost 80 degrees out!? (27 for you Celsius users)

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-27-2016, 10:26 AM

I didn't see the black ice in real life

Taure
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-28-2016, 01:15 PM

Lovely! Now I should really sit down and write something myself... procrastination sucks.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-28-2016, 01:21 PM

Enjoys the stories

Taure
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-28-2016, 07:35 PM

I really do! :D

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-28-2016, 07:36 PM

I do too .I would try to add, but i'm too self conscience

Taure
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-28-2016, 07:38 PM

I'm sure you would do great! Try it, and you'll see!

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-29-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Too many sprinkles on the cookies.
“There’s nothing wrong with the cookies, Mother.” Laura gritted her teeth, doing her best to hold her tone. It’s Christmas, the “happiest” day of the year, and no matter how much her mother poked and prodded, goddamnit she was going to be happy!

“I never said there was, dear.” Adelaide smiled, her thins lips spread across her forked tongue. “I’m sure they’re fine… if you like a cookie that’s more sprinkle than cookie. And they were decorated so beautifully. The sprinkles cover that all up.”

Laura defiantly holds up the tray, moving into the dining room. “They’re just for family. No one’s going to care what they look like”

Adelaide pauses, her wheels turning. “Do we even need cookies? Your Evan is getting a bit hefty.”

With a withering look. “Evan is the appropriate weight for a boy his size and age.”

“I think more appropriate for two boys his age. You shouldn’t be able to hear a person’s thighs rub together from the next room.”

“You see, this is why Daddy left you!”

“What?! Your father had a mid-life crisis!”

“He had a wife crisis! You! You drove him away, just like you do everyone else. You drove Jen away, Aunt Marnie… that one mailman. Well you know what old lady, I’m a hair width away from booting you right outta here! I’ve had it!”

For a moment Adelaide is shocked into silence, but… “I never knew you felt so strongly about sprinkles.”

“Well today I f**kin’ do!”

Three Prompts:
  1. Santa's Secret Santa
  2. Snowed in at the dentist's office.
  3. The dangers of using the wrong wrapping paper.

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 12-29-2016 at 08:22 AM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-29-2016, 08:37 AM

man I love reading Captain HOwdy's stuff

Taure
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-29-2016, 08:38 AM

That one earned a chuckle. Well done! :'D

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal