Princess_Creep
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 AM

Yeah. I've had something like that I've also seen a lot of plot-lines for a roleplay that are like "There is a beautiful and kind princess and all of the guys in the kingdom want to marry her, so they've come together to compete for her affections..." And then the whole roleplay is just all the guys are competing for the only female, who is almost always the creator of the roleplay as well.

VIEW FROM ABOVE
is currently looking for a good ...

Old 04-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Never heard that one before. >.< Ha, if I ever made a roleplay like that, I'd shoot myself.

Princess_Creep
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 PM

Yeah, I would never do that. It's just plain annoying.

Kriemedesan
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-22-2012, 11:52 PM

Hello again. I realize that it took so long for me to reply, but I did not know that you had responded.

Also, if I have hurt your feelings, then I am sorry. It was not intended to, but I was giving an example of two things that I do not approve of. While homosexuality may be normal in some areas and decades, I do not consider it natural, because sexual disposition is not determined by genes. In the same way incest is normal in some areas and decades, but it is not genetically-directed either. It may be wrong or gross to you, but there are those that find homosexuality wrong or gross, and it has been generally more common than homosexuality.

It can also be said that the line of where incest falls is arbitrary, if not set by some higher being. You could say that someone with a genetic (like Huntington's) or sexually-transmitted disease is gross and wrong, because there is more of a chance that they will infect their child with a horrible disease than a sister and brother pair, not that I am advocating it, because I do not approve of it either. Before I get in some large argument about this, all manners of lust, including man towards a woman, man, child, sister, brother, parent, animal, object, et cetera, fall into arbitrary allowance as well, if not directed by "God".

XD I did not realize I would be posting this stuff on Menewsha, lol.

Last edited by Kriemedesan; 04-22-2012 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: bold

Asuka
Bat Shit Crazy

Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 AM

This one supports the wishes of any who desire same sex engagements. (Though all enagements are icky cuz of cooties)

This one also supports the wishes of people to set their own private rules. If they desire heterosexual relationships (icky) then they are welcome to set that rule same as anyone who desires homosexual relationships (also icky).

People need to stop smooching overall. Its so gross!

Crimson_Hold the Lemon
☢Ṿɪсτ...
Send a message via AIM to Crimson_Hold the Lemon Send a message via MSN to Crimson_Hold the Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Crimson_Hold the Lemon

Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 PM

I understand where the concern would come from about restrictions like that, merely because we're currently living in a whole where homosexuality and bisexuality are becoming more and more socially acceptable. And, whereas I couldn't see myself making the rule, I can understand if someone else decided to make it. When it comes to things like that, nine times out of ten, they're all religion related issues, and that was merely how they've been brought up or their beliefs. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're close-minded and bigoted.

Now, the thing that does bug me in roleplays, is when someone messages me and tells me EXACTLY what my character is, what she/he's supposed to do and how he/she is supposed to do it. Um... No. That's freaking poppycock.

Ri'Staraa
Hunger makes a thief of any man.
Send a message via Yahoo to Ri'Staraa

Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM

((Sometimes it bothers me - like when biological sex has nothing to do with he story idea. Other times I'm OK with it - such as when someone is doing a newly revamped, modern version of the Disney Princesses and wants to keep the pairings the same. So I suppose it all depends on context.

The sad thing is that most group RPs I've seen where romance is the key either states only hetero pairings or just assumes that they will all be that way. I see a lot of the following situation: character A and character C are taken will be female so characters B and D (their prospective matches) MUST be male. Of course, that may be because those two girls BOTH happen to want to play opposite a male character as personal preference - but it could also be the assumptions or prejudice of the thread's creator.

Personally, I'd love to find just one group RP where romance is an option and there's a set theme but nobody gives a hoot how the pairs end up in the end. Anybody know of one that's open?))

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 07-03-2012, 03:47 PM

It depends on the roleplay theme. If it's a public school, then romance can be between any gender. If it's a school for girls, and the theme is still romance, well, then, obviously it can only introduce F// pairings.

Smores
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 PM

I think that limiting a role play to any kind of pairing is ignorant.
Plain and simple.

I am gay, and have I joined any role plays that are strictly for gay pairings only? No. And I never will.
Have I joined any with just straight pairings? No. And I never will.

The entire point of being in a role play is to play a character. If I want my character to have two heads and be A-Sexual. Guess what? They will. And that is my character.
When designing a character I do not want limitations like, "Your character MUST be straight/Gay" or "Your character MUST/MUST NOT have some kind of romantic relationship." I come to the role playing section to role play.
And that is that.

I want to play a character in MY head, NOT in your head. If I find that my character should be an androgynous male with parental issues and the inability to get close to anyone without being physically violent because that is all they know. So be it.

I strongly dislike any role play that limits my creativity. I feel that it is the complete opposite as to what a role play is suppose to be. Creative & Fun.

I also hate when real world politics and views get in the way, or someone in the group is against your character for what is either skin colour, ethnicity, sexuality, religion....etc.
And demands you leave or they will leave. (I have had this happen here.)

I feel like if you can not role play openly with NO prejudice.
Don't role play at all.

---------- Post added 07-06-2012 at 04:00 PM ----------

Oh, I want to clear up a possible misconception.

If my character is gay, and yours is straight and mine is in love with yours for whatever reason. And one day works up the courage to go up to you, I am not forcing my sexuality on you. Rejection is a part of life. Just be like, "Sorry, Not Gay" And move on.

I mean. Don't be an ass about it and start throwing out extremely homophobic things. But if your character is homophobic then yeah - sure. Freak out and run away and claim my character is a psycho who is obsessed with you and worships you in a shrine in their closet.

It is your character. Just be respectful to the possibility that when your characters are interacting with others - there is a possibility that SOMEONE is similar to that character be it skin colour, sexuality, religion....etc.

Does everyone get what I mean? :sweat:

---------- Post added 07-06-2012 at 04:00 PM ----------

Also if you want to do a role play.
Smores likes role plays. :ninja:
Groups preferred. :sweat:

Tany
is a fish girl

Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 PM

My biggest pet peeve is when the owners of RPs try to give their own characters some sort of "elevated" status. It can be something simple, like trying to constantly make the plot about themselves, or even being so blatant as to put "No one can godmode except for me" in the rules (I've seen this a couple times before).

For example, I was once in one that had a basic good vs evil plot. A small band of rogue mercenaries trying to defeat a wealthy crime lord. Simple, right? Well, the owner of the RP decided to make herself some rare, exotic princess who was the last of her kind or something. Throughout the entire roleplay she tried to constantly make the plot about her tragic, woeful back story and how we needed to defeat this crime lord in order to magically bring back her people. And btw, she didn't even mention this princess in the original post as being part of the plot. So yes, you wouldn't know about it until you joined. She didn't leave much room for anyone else to try and develop their own characters' back stories. Needless to say, I left that RP pretty quickly.

As for the "no homo" rule or any rule regarding sexuality, I think it would all depend on the context. If there's a set plot in the RP that would naturally encourage same or opposite-sex relationships (i.e. an all girls/boys school, a setting that's based on lordxlady engagements in medieval Europe...) then I don't mind that rule too much. It's only an RP after all. However, if the plot's something that's simple (i.e. two kingdoms at war with each other), then I really don't think it's necessary to add that in there.

I remember an RP I once saw that had IC rules and OOC rules. The OOC rules were directed at the players (no godmoding, no negative comments...), but the IC rules were like "laws" in the tavern we were in that our characters were supposed to follow. For example, no fighting, no free food/drink, the bar is off limits to customers... People still made their characters break those sometimes. Why? Because it made the RP more interesting. Even if it's not "natural" or against the setting's "law" to find a certain sexuality in your RP, that doesn't mean that it's completely non-existant.

Truthfully, I'm more one for freelance RPs or ones with basic plots. It's just much more convenient when you can do whatever you want with your character or even kinda wing it. That's another pet peeve of mine: when an RP has too many restrictions on characters possiilities.

Smores: I agree with you all the way.

Last edited by Tany; 07-31-2012 at 02:20 PM..

Your Vampaneze Lover
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM

I'd have to say my opinion on the matter depends on what the RP is about, and whether it's a group RP or a 1x1. I have seen certain roleplays before where the plot specifically revolves around heterosexual or homosexual pairings, and I've also found RPs where, due to the plot, it is absolutely necessary to have characters of a certain sexual orientation. Granted, those are far and few between, and if that is the case, it takes a really good plot to keep me interested.

In the case of group RPs, if the plot doesn't hinge on the above, it's kind of ridiculous to restrict people like that. I guess I just tend to avoid RPs that are far too restricting. In 1x1's I'm more lenient about this matter. I know that in the past I just haven't been into male/male pairings, and other times I have been. Sometimes playing a gay person makes people uncomfortable for various reasons. You never know.

DancingCrazy
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Just been reading through all the replies on this topic and not once has it been mentioned that the person may be thinking about the comfort of the people roleplaying. I, myself would never create a rule to say you had to have x or y sexuality but you need to think what it someone isn't actually comfortable with roleplaying a same sex pairing. Or it could be there you can't assume that everyone will actually know how to write a same sex pairing mostly just because people use personal experiences or stuff they've read when it comes to writing and they might have never experienced that. That's just my thoughts though.

Quantum Angel
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 AM

That rule bothers me a LOT. I am sorry, but if you have that rule, not only will I not apply, but you will probably end up on my block list. But thank you for warning me that you're someone I don't want to associate with ever!

...look, as an almost exclusively gay guy, I think I have a right to be a little sore about being told that someone like me isn't allowed to exist in your lovely fantasy world. I am here and I exist and I am not going away just because I make you uncomfortable or you're afraid someone else might be uncomfortable. No, I'm not sorry. If you're not a bigot, don't erase me for the comfort of bigots, please and thank you.

Tancileena
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM

The way I see it, unless the creator can explain why it has to be strictly hetero pairings, and can give valid reasons other than "um homo pairings make me feel all icky inside", then I won't join. Since Mene has a strict no sex rule, save for cut scenes, then there isn't really a huge problem. You're not going to be forced to read a sex scene, so why bother with the sexuality rule if there won't be any sex anyways? The furthest it would go is some heavy kissing and that's it.
As someone openly bisexual, I understand how much it stings when people try and tell me what they think my sexuality should be. I don't godmode theirs, why do that to me? Especially in a game where it isn't even real anyways.

If you want to be a gay pirate with one eye, a peg leg, and a penchant for dressing in ladies lingerie at night and line dancing on table tops, then more power to you. I'm sure your character would rock that outfit so hard. Who am I to tell you you can't? If you do not want people forcing a set sexuality on you, then do not do the same thing to them. In my opinion, it is rude and quite frankly, disrespectful. It is expecting them to conform to your idea of a normal sexuality/pairing and it also removes a great deal of possible character development and even some damn good romance. Some of the best RPs I've read have been x/x or y/y, because it brings on a whole new dimension of plot possibilities.

Just my two cents, and Quantum Angel: I agree with you 1000% :)

Stellar Delusion
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Creep View Post
Yeah. I've had something like that I've also seen a lot of plot-lines for a roleplay that are like "There is a beautiful and kind princess and all of the guys in the kingdom want to marry her, so they've come together to compete for her affections..." And then the whole roleplay is just all the guys are competing for the only female, who is almost always the creator of the roleplay as well.
While I have to echo the sentiments of the last two posts - seriously, guys, look, I happen to exist and I do not appreciate being told that in your escapist fantasy, I can't - I find it absolutely HILARIOUS when it pops up for this reason.

"Wait guys what are you doing? NO YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BONDING YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO FIGHT OVER ME! FIGHT OVER ME DAMMIT! YOU'RE RUINING EVERYTHING! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE ALL! ABOUT! MEEE!!11"

I never join RPs with that rule because...you know what? My characters are people. I don't know all the details about them when I start. I know what's necessary to begin fleshing them out and the rest kinda falls into place. And sometimes in the course of human life, someone falls in love with someone of the same gender. Even if they never expected to! Even if they'd always liked the opposite sex until then! Don't limit the path of my character's life for no readily apparent reason.

And don't erase people like me just because you think we're icky (...it's not like you're gonna see what we're doing in bed, I mean seriously, and if you're thinking about that anyway then I kinda have to wonder if you're not hiding something from yourself...) or to make the place more welcoming to bigots. They're the ones you should be shutting out, not us.

Last edited by Stellar Delusion; 11-19-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Popcorn Gun
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Penpal

Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Okay, so I'm sure that this isn't something that is strictly on Mene, but while browsing the group roleplays I saw a roleplay that had a rule that made me feel a little... odd. The rule was something along the lines of "male/female pairings only". Now, I can understand not wanting to do homosexual pairings yourself; some people aren't comfortable with that. But to say that no one in your roleplay can do homosexual romances... that seems boarderline homophobic to me. It made me feel really uncomfortable, but I know that it's not really against the rules to say that. I also know that if you make a roleplay you have the right to make whatever rules you want, but... I don't know. Does anyone else have an issue with rules like this? Also, anyone who has an issue with people doing homosexual pairings in your roleplay, why does it bother you? I am genuinely curious to know.
Other discussion: any other rules that seem a little off or make you uncomfortable, and why
Oh wow...no I totally understand that.
When I stumble upon that...it does throw me off.
Like...the idea/setting can be boss...but then to totally erase people like that?...
It seems wrong to me.

And when heterosexuality is made out to be so normal that it's the only, and homosexuality is so demonized...it's not really the same if someone is carving out a safe space for homosexual characters/homosexuality...
:' /

iamnotspam
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
But to say that no one in your roleplay can do homosexual romances... that seems boarderline homophobic to me.

Pardon me, although I don't know what roleplay you're talking about,
I would like to know this:

How is it homophobic to want to enjoy a strictly straight roleplay?

That'd be like saying it's heterophobic to have a gay-only roleplay.
Everyone has their own preferences,
and if you prefer to have a different kind of roleplay then that's your own beeswax.

Heck, speaking of the growing heterophobia,
there are some places where if I can't even say I'm straight without people getting offended
and sometimes calling me a gay-hater,
if I don't apologize right away for being straight,
and I'm not even talking about in gay chats/Threads.
Sure, I'm against the actions of the gay lifestyle,
but as all my gay friends know I still live love them as friends
and I still encourage them to be happy and stuff.
I'm not going to start hating them just because I think gay actions are evil.
That'd be like, well, for an example, a parent not loving their child just because their child did something bad.
It'd be silly!

And the culture today is on the tip of the point where if you're not a bi-sexual or you're not gay,
then you'd better feel bad for all gay people whenever the topic comes up,
and say supportive and encouraging words when the subject arises,
or you're "not being tolerant".

Besides, who wants to be tolerated?
How about if we stick to accepted?

Definition of "tolerant":

SPOILERX

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.m-w.com
1: to endure or resist the action of (as a drug or food) without serious side effects or discomfort : exhibit physiological tolerance for
2a : to allow to be or to be done without prohibition, hindrance, or contradiction
b : to put up with <learn to tolerate one another>

Definition of "accept":

SPOILERX

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.m-w.com
transitive verb
1a : to receive willingly <accept a gift>
b : to be able or designed to take or hold (something applied or added) <a surface that will not accept ink>
2: to give admittance or approval to <accept her as one of the group>
3a : to endure without protest or reaction <accept poor living conditions>
b : to regard as proper, normal, or inevitable <the idea is widely accepted>
c : to recognize as true : believe <refused to accept the explanation>
4a : to make a favorable response to <accept an offer>
b : to agree to undertake (a responsibility) <accept a job>
5: to assume an obligation to pay; also : to take in payment <we don't accept personal checks>
6: to receive (a legislative report) officially
intransitive verb
: to receive favorably something offered —usually used with of <a heart more disposed to accept of his — Jane Austen>

There. I had my rant.

I'm sorry for the bother, if you feel offended,
however, I'm not going to change any of my opinions just because someone might be offended. :)
If you have the right to be gay,
I have the right to be straight
and still love all the people on this Earth. :)

And if I don't make any sense to you,
then maybe you need to change the perspective
from which you're trying to understand me. ;)

And if you think it's impossible for me to hate gaydomism but love gay people equally,
then sorry but you didn't think hard enough!! x3
Love can't be measured,
so it can't be "as much as" or "less than"!
Love is just love, period! :D

Last edited by iamnotspam; 04-09-2013 at 01:49 AM..

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 07-27-2013, 04:38 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Asking people not to do homosexual pairings in the story you've created is like asking people not to Godmod. You don't want that in your play, it doesn't line up with the vision of the story you've begun to create. If someone doesn't like it, or is uncomfortable, they can join someone else's play, or create one of their own.

Personally, I don't care if people pair up same sex in my role-plays, though I have thought of creating one that didn't allow it. The reason for that is because I've had two plays now, where my female character began pairing up with a male character, and then suddenly another male joined and the male I was paired with ditched to do a homosexual pairing. It really sucked (is sucking right now in my current play), both times.

Also, there are many people who's religious beliefs forbid such things and condoning it may be making them uncomfortable. The way I see it is, it's their play. If you don't like it, move on to something else or create one of your own. *shrugs*

Kiyoto
(。◕‿◕&#...

Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 AM

Well that kinda hurt...

Personally I don't mind either way. People should have the right to decide if they want their character to be straight, bi or gay. Everyone has their own preference in reality and in rp. Rp should be for fun, that is the point of rp in the first place,

Last edited by Kiyoto; 07-30-2013 at 03:17 AM..

Kilia
(^(エ)^)

Old 08-02-2013, 06:38 PM

i know that i put in my rules that i am god in the rp because there are times when just up and leave or disappear so i have to move them out of the way of the story so people could move forward as for the sexual preference i honestly don't care and i am fine with it all and i say this because i am a straight christian woman but with the way that i was raised up i was taught to accept everyone the way they are no matter what and i don't care personally if someone wants to go off and do thier own thing or if they add or change the story line io guess i am just not bothered by anything at all

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM

I understand exactly where you are coming from, and what you mean.
Okay if someone creates an rp, they make their rules for it, and if the rules aren't to your taste, then you don't play, but they can still be offensive surely to some people, it's like posting offensive posts, and saying don't read them if it is offensive! If they are in a public place you have the right to be offended and criticise.
So I think the idea of setting a rule like that in general is rather wrong...
Unless it is in context of the story, or for gameplay purposes...such as

If it suits the storyline better. You probably would have openly public gay relationship in Victorian London for example.

Or if the number of male female characters call for it, and somehow homosexual relationships effect the balance of the characters interaction? I'm sure other people would have better examples or reasons why, but it can't really think of any particularly good ones?

I like to think when role playing we are creating stories, and playing a character, I see it as a matter of skill to play or write a character,that I either have nothing in common with, despise, have different views from or even different gender or sexuality. So to put limits on that I feel speaks about the person creating the rules don't you?

Mushroom Magic
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-08-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Okay, so I'm sure that this isn't something that is strictly on Mene, but while browsing the group roleplays I saw a roleplay that had a rule that made me feel a little... odd. The rule was something along the lines of "male/female pairings only". Now, I can understand not wanting to do homosexual pairings yourself; some people aren't comfortable with that. But to say that no one in your roleplay can do homosexual romances... that seems boarderline homophobic to me. It made me feel really uncomfortable, but I know that it's not really against the rules to say that. I also know that if you make a roleplay you have the right to make whatever rules you want, but... I don't know. Does anyone else have an issue with rules like this? Also, anyone who has an issue with people doing homosexual pairings in your roleplay, why does it bother you? I am genuinely curious to know.
Other discussion: any other rules that seem a little off or make you uncomfortable, and why
That does seem a little homophobic, but sadly not everyone is open minded, even on a site like this one. Rules that bother me are any rules against transgender characters. But I know I can't expect everyone to agree with my way of thinking.