daashi
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-11-2007, 04:37 PM

I hope that this thread is in the right place. It may belong in the round robin but I don't think it does.

This is a creative writing exercise. The aim is write a short descriptive piece wth a single word as the inspiration. I have created this thread for both established and budding writers to have a chance to show and develop their descriptive abilites.

I will post a list containing seven words. I will post a new list when there is at least one piece for every word.

- Earth
- Water
- Fire
- Air
- Hot
- Cold
- Element

Sir.Spoon
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 PM

I like this idea. I may just write something

blueblob2
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 AM

Prompt: Fire and Hot

"Help! Please, anyone! Help!", May screamed, pounding her weak hands on the metal bars on her window, trapped in her burning house. Her ebony hair dishelved and her once white silk dress torn and scorched. The smoke was burning her lungs. She wondered if she'll ever live to see another day. Desprerately, she looked for a way out. But everywhere she went, there is only flames surrounding her, taunting her to look for a way out.

Suddenly, she stumbled. As she looked down, she saw her husband imprisoned under the debris from the roof. It was his leg she had stumbled on. A gasp escaped her. Her tears falls down her ashen cheeks. "Oh, Edward.", she murmured under her breath. Choking a sob, she tries to free him. One by one, she took a piece of wood off her husband.

Finally, she could see her husband's face. Her heart pounding loudly on her ears. Slowly, she crawled over to him and tried to feel for a pulse on his cold neck. Finding none, she lets out a series of cries of rage, sorrow, and helplessness. After, she gingerly brushed a stray lock of hair from Edward's face. She sat down on the floor and humorlessly chuckled at her misfortune. She slowly gazed at her burning house. Gone was her loving husband, their house, and everything they owned. Soon, her vision began to be clouded by dark spots. She stared at her husband's handsome face once more. Then, there was darkness.

What do you all think? Any constructive criticism is welcome :).

Last edited by blueblob2; 09-04-2008 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: missing words

Sanuki
Banned

Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 AM

Oh good idea! I'll post something as soon as I figure out what to say XD.

Ad I think I'll pick water :3.

blueblob2
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 AM

Next time, I'll probably write something for Cold. :)

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 AM

I've done something like this on other sites before.

Earth:

Shonasha stopped just short of barren circle that stretched out before them. In the middle of that seemingly normal forest lay a circle of dry earth miles long. He looked over his shoulder at Heso. The usually stoic man had a look of puzzlement on his face. It was an odd thing to see on the face of a man who could see into the future.

"According to the map," Shonasha said, somewhat loudly as it seemed that his voice was being sucked into the void, "This is where the homeland of the Elreen is. Did they just get up and take it with them?"

Heso took a step forward and his eyes darkened, the small shines of light in them disappeared and Shonasha knew that he was reaching out and searching for the weaved souls of anyone that could be out there. Suddenly he blinked, his eyes returning to normal and he stepped just outside of the ring and reached down to touch the dry earth, "They're here. I don't know how or why, but somewhere out there, they're there. In the earth."

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 12-18-2008, 07:28 PM

This is a drabble, by the way.
Air:
Lyssa was flying through the air, unsure how she'd got there. The last thing she remembered was feeling sick and fainting.
She looked down, the clouds far below her. It was beautiful down there.
After a while, she began to get bored. She tried pushing her way down, but the air currents wouldn't relent. She became horrified as she realised she would never come back to earth again. She tried and tried, and finally fell to sleep, drifting in the clouds.

(Constructive critiscm appreciated.)

okamimyst
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to okamimyst Send a message via Yahoo to okamimyst

Old 12-26-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblob2 View Post
Prompt: Fire and Hot

"Help! Please, anyone! Help!", May screamed, pounding her weak hands on the metal bars on her window, trapped in her burning house. Her ebony hair dishelved and her once white silk dress torn and scorched. The smoke was burning her lungs. She wondered if she'll ever live to see another day. Desprerately, she looked for a way out. But everywhere she went, there is only flames surrounding her, taunting her to look for a way out.

Suddenly, she stumbled. As she looked down, she saw her husband imprisoned under the debris from the roof. It was his leg she had stumbled on. A gasp escaped her. Her tears falls down her ashen cheeks. "Oh, Edward.", she murmured under her breath. Choking a sob, she tries to free him. One by one, she took a piece of wood off her husband.

Finally, she could see her husband's face. Her heart pounding loudly on her ears. Slowly, she crawled over to him and tried to feel for a pulse on his cold neck. Finding none, she lets out a series of cries of rage, sorrow, and helplessness. After, she gingerly brushed a stray lock of hair from Edward's face. She sat down on the floor and humorlessly chuckled at her misfortune. She slowly gazed at her burning house. Gone was her loving husband, their house, and everything they owned. Soon, her vision began to be clouded by dark spots. She stared at her husband's handsome face once more. Then, there was darkness.

What do you all think? Any constructive criticism is welcome :).
This is great! Very captivating, and you really want to find out more about the whole situation. How did the fire start? What will happen to May? etc. However I just wanted to point out that you had a couple of problems with tense in the first paragraph. It should be "she wondered if she would..." and "but everywhere she went, there were only flames...."