Dottie Mae Evans
*~It's all good~*

Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM

I saw the title of the thread and it made me lol.

I'll answer the questions when the time comes for it. ^_^; Also I never played Gaiaonline. :shock:!

Kevinx
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 PM

I have to say that gaia is a really fun site. You meet funny people and you get to play awsome games. xD
But Menewsha is pretty fun, too. ^^

Popcorn Gun
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Penpal

Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 PM

Glad you feel that way Kevin.
:' D
I've run into so many users that swear by one site or the other, and dog the one they don't choose.

Kevinx
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 PM

I like your siggy by the way xD

Dottie Mae Evans
*~It's all good~*

Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
1. Have you ever bumped?
a. What's the highest you've ever bumped to?
b. When did you start bumping? Was it difficult to quit?
Yes I have, but not on Menewsha. I may have made a mistake once though. >_<; Other than that, I follow the rules the best that I can.
A. I really don't know. :-/
b. It was easy to quit, I just followed the posting rules. :) On other sites, it wasn't easy to quite. >=)

Quote:
2. How many bumps could a bumper bump if a bumper could bump on Mene?
None! XD! Unless they are "bumping legally". XS! Then again the answer will always be no. **Coughs** There is no legal bumping **coughs**

Quote:
3. Auto post-merging: is it the death of bumping or merely the next challenge?
I don't have the slightest clue. #_#;

Quote:
4. If a bumper bumps in a forum and no one is around to see it, did he/she really bump at all?
Well a lurker saw it, that is for sure. :D!

Quote:
5. Is it still considered a bump even if the word "bump" is never used in the post?
Yeah, depending on how you define bump. If it is a legal one, then I guess so. :S Then again, I don't know. :-/

Don't take my answers seriously my fellow members. XS!

Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:14 PM

Another day, another post in the bump thread. Did you know that there's a Jpop band called bump-y? I thought that was an amusing tidbit to add at this time. What is a tid anyway, and why do people only want bits of them? Has anyone ever seen a whole tid?

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 AM

Gotta say Ferra... Love your topic, love your avatar. XD :heart:

Chunsa-chan
Sarang hanindea yo~

Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
Indeed, Mene would probably have a heart attack. XD

Oh wow, congratulations! What sort of job tests, if you don't mind me asking? I'm sure you'll do fine for the math and science stuff. :)

I've been alright. Just wasting time until classes start again at my work. I'm teaching English in Japan and we're currently on spring break, but teachers don't get days off unless they take them out of their vacation time. So I just go and sit at my desk inventing things to do. :lol:

Mhhm, mostly language tests, proving I'm qualified and can do my job as a linguist. So there are various test I have to take every year or so for the job, to measure Reading and listening comprehension, and recently I had to take a language Speech->to->writing test.
And thanks! I hope so!

Ooooh, Japan! You weren't near any of that crazy stuff that went down recently, where you?
So what's teaching English like? What ages? I can just imagine little kids fumbling with English to be adorable.
I practice occasionally with a group of Koreans on speaking English, but I don't actually 'teach' them.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 飛段 View Post
a: ...Over 5000 in one thread, I think. Was bumping for this really good item...I don't remember what it was anymore.
b. On Gaia when I discovered people bumping to get their golds. Not difficult to quit at all, I never was really into it. It's so boring, just posting either 'bump' or a number indicating the amount of bumps you have made within the thread. The flood control time was annoying too.
Ah yeah, flood control. Forgot about that since I haven't posted in active threads for ages. D: But wow, that's a lot of bumps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrella View Post
I actually wouldn't be surprised if she had. She has one of those laughs that could break glass. xD
Ah, I have a friend like that too. She started laughing, but since people laughed at how she laughed, she kept laughing. :lol: A vicious cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momochan View Post
good morning everyone ; 3;
Very belated, but good late afternoon, momochan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Gun View Post
Bumping is the single most tedious thing to do on an (online) forum.
And on Menewsha, it would actually cost you gold. Since typing the word 'bump' would only give you .O8 gold, and getting busted for that would leave you with an infraction, and the posts would all be deleted.

There was once a contest on Gaiaonline though, and I managed to get somewhere in the 3OO's in a bump contest, I want to say near 4OO though...
Yeah, it is kind of tedious. I didn't really think about it at the time since I tended to do gimmicky things to make bumping more interesting, but I do feel like I wasted too much time bumping back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinx View Post
I have to say that gaia is a really fun site. You meet funny people and you get to play awsome games. xD
But Menewsha is pretty fun, too. ^^
I'm not trying to say Gaia isn't. :) Believe me, I had a great time, especially in the early years. But as time went on my friends became less interested and I was less fond of the changes they made, so I personally have not found it as interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyCollinsDeArc View Post
Don't take my answers seriously my fellow members. XS!
Aww, you didn't have to answer everything. A lot of those questions were just jokes. :) Relax, I'm sure you're following the rules just fine.

I really like your answer for number 4, by the way. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explodey View Post
Another day, another post in the bump thread. Did you know that there's a Jpop band called bump-y? I thought that was an amusing tidbit to add at this time. What is a tid anyway, and why do people only want bits of them? Has anyone ever seen a whole tid?
What I find more amusing is that there's Japanese band named "Bump of Chicken."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzla View Post
Gotta say Ferra... Love your topic, love your avatar. XD :heart:
Aww, thank you! <3 You're looking fabulous, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunsa-chan View Post

Mhhm, mostly language tests, proving I'm qualified and can do my job as a linguist. So there are various test I have to take every year or so for the job, to measure Reading and listening comprehension, and recently I had to take a language Speech->to->writing test.
And thanks! I hope so!

Ooooh, Japan! You weren't near any of that crazy stuff that went down recently, where you?
So what's teaching English like? What ages? I can just imagine little kids fumbling with English to be adorable.
I practice occasionally with a group of Koreans on speaking English, but I don't actually 'teach' them.
Ah right! I remember you saying something about linguistics, deep in the recesses of my poor memory. XD That sounds really interesting! I struggle enough as it is with my poor Japanese skills, though. I really need to dedicate more time to studying.

Actually, I live and teach in Sendai, so we're still getting aftershocks every day. But I wasn't near the tsunami, so I'm fine. There's a surprisingly high level of normalcy now, despite it being just a few weeks since the disaster. I still don't have gas at my place, however, which means I can't take warm showers. =/

Teaching is quite fun, I have to say. Mostly because I'm an "assistant teacher", so I can avoid dealing with the grueling bureaucracy of Japanese schools and just plan fun activities for the students instead. I teach junior high school students and the upper two grades at elementary school. So I think the age range is around 10 to 15 years old.

Chunsa-chan
Sarang hanindea yo~

Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM

*Gives you some Tuna* I hear eating fish is good for helping Granny brains and aiding in memory recovery. ;D

Do you just speak it, or do you know how to read, listen or write?
And uck cold showers. I just.... irrrgh.

And what activities do you do? I'm always fascinated by teaching methods, especially language ones (AND the fun ones!), and their effectiveness.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Well until the quake happened, I was eating plenty of seafood. :P I'm hoping to have some delicious sushi once the places near me open up again.

Prior to coming to Japan, I'd say I wrote and read better than I could speak. Now, since I haven't been taking Japanese classes, I think my speaking and listening skills are the strongest. That said, if I don't have context for what the conversation is about, it's very difficult for me to follow along. (Work meetings are terrible since they use vocab I don't understand and polite language I don't really grasp.) I think I fall quite comfortably in the "intermediate" level for Japanese.

Activities vary, really. :sweat: It would be boring if I always did the same thing. The Japanese education system approaches English in a kind of old-fashioned way, so there's a very strong emphasis on grammar study, repetition, and memorization. My job is to give the kids a way to practice the grammar points as we move along through the textbooks.

I try to get kids up and moving so they must talk to other students to complete the task and to encourage creative responses, whenever possible. Just being able to talk successfully to a native English speaker boosts their confidence. I'm not really the person held accountable for whether they've actually "learned English", but I do whatever I can in my position to help them improve.

crunky
Ping me Baby!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM

I remember bumping on another site...xD I don't remember why I thought it was worthwhile doing though. =P I never got to know anyone there so it really was a shame. Now on menewsha a lot of my friends have left =( but at least I know that I can make new ones because we are a talkative site. ^-^

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Bumping is very boring. /just sortof skimmed the last page. 8D;;

I never liked it--but I did/do love the CB on gaia. Gaia doesn't really have a "hangout" forum--so the CB sortof takes its place and I have fun there. XP

crunky
Ping me Baby!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:06 PM

monstahh` - I have always loved that when I talk to people on menewsha, there is a good chance I will talk to them again soon. I have trouble keeping track of people when there are so many users. xD But that is just me, I am not a multi-tasker online. =P

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 04-04-2011, 06:10 PM

I have that problem pretty consistently on any site. I don't always like reaching out to new people because they kindof pretty routinely end up being assholes.
I'm much more likely to keep talking to someone if they are on my MSN, or message me first.
I hate being the first one to start contact every time, but I tend to do it on msn a lot. Rarely people start conversations with me. ;C

Dottie Mae Evans
*~It's all good~*

Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 PM

@ Ferra- I know, I just wanted to answer them. XD!

Hm... But if a lurker wanted to bump, they had to be a member. :D! I was a lurker before I really joined Menewsha. ;)

Saiyacookie
Completely off her rocker.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 AM

I've bumped my personal spam thread on another avatar site up to about 100 pages, twice (10 posts a page). My first one was deleted because I lost my internet and wasn't able to post in it for a few weeks. Then again, on that site there is a forum specifically set aside for people to bump in to earn currency, so they don't spam all over the whole forum. :)

Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 04-05-2011, 04:10 AM

Ferra - Sometimes when I laugh really hard, I snort. And that ALWAYS makes me me laugh more and snort more. It's awful. And people find it funny so they'll keep trying to make me laugh. Grah! It's funny, though.

I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Ah yeah, flood control. Forgot about that since I haven't posted in active threads for ages. D: But wow, that's a lot of bumps!
Indeed it was. I have no idea how I had the patience to do that now that I look back on it. :XD I don't even remember what the item was that I had been bumping for...I think it might have been this old Monthly Collectible...*scratches head*

I used to hunt the Chatterbox for giveaway threads. If I post fast enough, sometimes I get some nice items like recent MCs, or an Evolving Item...but then I understood that I'll never be able to collect all the items I want on Gaia, AND be able to use all the equips that I like on it because you could only use one pose per item, so gradually I just gave up and only occasionally snagged a giveaway or two when I felt like it. Most of my time was spent in the Q&A and Charity forums, chatting with others.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Well until the quake happened, I was eating plenty of seafood. :P I'm hoping to have some delicious sushi once the places near me open up again.

Prior to coming to Japan, I'd say I wrote and read better than I could speak. Now, since I haven't been taking Japanese classes, I think my speaking and listening skills are the strongest. That said, if I don't have context for what the conversation is about, it's very difficult for me to follow along. (Work meetings are terrible since they use vocab I don't understand and polite language I don't really grasp.) I think I fall quite comfortably in the "intermediate" level for Japanese.

Activities vary, really. :sweat: It would be boring if I always did the same thing. The Japanese education system approaches English in a kind of old-fashioned way, so there's a very strong emphasis on grammar study, repetition, and memorization. My job is to give the kids a way to practice the grammar points as we move along through the textbooks.

I try to get kids up and moving so they must talk to other students to complete the task and to encourage creative responses, whenever possible. Just being able to talk successfully to a native English speaker boosts their confidence. I'm not really the person held accountable for whether they've actually "learned English", but I do whatever I can in my position to help them improve.

I love that last paragraph. So I could totally rock that job. Hahaha. I mean, I can teach the grammar and all that, but I guess it would be intimidating to be like, THE person to teach them the language...... Working with another teacher and such is nice.

I feel like... I would give them some phrase that was completely incorrect even though I knew better. Like, "oh man! that's ice cream!" becoming the new slang for cool. hehe

Krazy Kiara
Your frendly krazy gurl

Old 04-05-2011, 05:40 AM

Im bored o3o

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
I remember bumping on another site...xD I don't remember why I thought it was worthwhile doing though. =P I never got to know anyone there so it really was a shame. Now on menewsha a lot of my friends have left =( but at least I know that I can make new ones because we are a talkative site. ^-^
Yeah, a lot of my friends that I made early on have left too. But that's pretty much the nature of forums and the nature of friends in general. You move on and get to know knew people. :)

I agree with you about Mene's community. I find it easy to find people willing to make conversation. I'm just often too lazy to do it. :ninja:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahh` View Post
Bumping is very boring. /just sortof skimmed the last page. 8D;;

I never liked it--but I did/do love the CB on gaia. Gaia doesn't really have a "hangout" forum--so the CB sortof takes its place and I have fun there. XP
I found my "hangout" homes in random quest and art threads, and later guilds. I found it easier to "get to know" people when there wasn't a frenzy of spam going on, which is why I shied away from the CB when it came to conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyCollinsDeArc View Post
@ Ferra- I know, I just wanted to answer them. XD!

Hm... But if a lurker wanted to bump, they had to be a member. :D! I was a lurker before I really joined Menewsha. ;)
I know the feeling, but I usually make an account on forums even if I lurk for a while and never really post. That way you have the account just in case you want to make a comment when a post leaps out at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyacookie View Post
I've bumped my personal spam thread on another avatar site up to about 100 pages, twice (10 posts a page). My first one was deleted because I lost my internet and wasn't able to post in it for a few weeks. Then again, on that site there is a forum specifically set aside for people to bump in to earn currency, so they don't spam all over the whole forum. :)
Oh boy, I've done the same thing. I barely got any support in my few short-lived quest threads on Gaia, so the bumps were almost entirely my account or my mule account's posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 飛段 View Post
Indeed it was. I have no idea how I had the patience to do that now that I look back on it. :XD I don't even remember what the item was that I had been bumping for...I think it might have been this old Monthly Collectible...*scratches head*

I used to hunt the Chatterbox for giveaway threads. If I post fast enough, sometimes I get some nice items like recent MCs, or an Evolving Item...but then I understood that I'll never be able to collect all the items I want on Gaia, AND be able to use all the equips that I like on it because you could only use one pose per item, so gradually I just gave up and only occasionally snagged a giveaway or two when I felt like it. Most of my time was spent in the Q&A and Charity forums, chatting with others.
Yeah, I feel so spoiled here. XD Every time I try to make a cool tektek avatar for Gaia and then look at what items it would require, I immediately give up. Usually I'd have to get multiples of the same cash item to make things match and the price for just one was quite expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandnymph View Post
I love that last paragraph. So I could totally rock that job. Hahaha. I mean, I can teach the grammar and all that, but I guess it would be intimidating to be like, THE person to teach them the language...... Working with another teacher and such is nice.

I feel like... I would give them some phrase that was completely incorrect even though I knew better. Like, "oh man! that's ice cream!" becoming the new slang for cool. hehe
Don't get me wrong, I'm there as support to assure the teachers that what the students are learning is "natural" English. I've taken grammar courses and have grammar reference books on hand, if need be.

But at my elementary school, things are the opposite. I'm the lead teacher and the Japanese teacher is there as my assistant to help with crowd control, etc. However, since they are language beginners, we don't fuss with grammar so much as practice phrases/vocabulary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Kiara View Post
Im bored o3o
Play a game! :D Or do what I've been doing the past few days, which is read a book.

Protagonist
(╯°□°)╯...
Send a message via AIM to Protagonist Send a message via MSN to Protagonist

Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 AM

-plows through-
Good morning all.

crunky
Ping me Baby!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, a lot of my friends that I made early on have left too. But that's pretty much the nature of forums and the nature of friends in general. You move on and get to know knew people. :)

I agree with you about Mene's community. I find it easy to find people willing to make conversation. I'm just often too lazy to do it. :ninja:
ahh, laziness...it's a lost art...*sigh*

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 PM

@crunky: I think it wouldn't be a stretch to say I've mastered laziness. :lol: