Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 PM

Let's talk romance novels!

Ever since high school, I've found romance novels pretty funny. They're formulaic, have lurid writing, and the most unbelievably cheesy covers.
Check out this fine piece of work:

Glorious, right? That's some classic Fabio right there.

Lately, I've gotten really into the genre, and I've been reading random selections back-to-back since New Years. My primary criteria in picking which to read has been how cheesy the cover is—the cheesier the better, and extra bonus points if it has a steamy interior cover! The quality of the books I've read so far has been patchy because of this, but I've had fun with it. Even when they're really poorly written, they still manage to get me riled up and often laughing out loud.

So, who else here is interested in romance novels? Do you have any favorites? Are you in it for the sex scenes, or are you more interested in the characters, plots, and relationships? Tell me all your romance (novel) feelings!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-30-2014, 01:44 AM

I never really got into romance novels myself but I do like your approach to them! I'm really tempted to pick up one of those $1 paperback books just to try one on for the LOLs. ^^;

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 04-30-2014, 11:17 PM

Haha, yes! For just a dollar, it's some pretty good entertainment. They can be especially funny if you read them out loud. :D

Exaggerated Rebellion
The Best Bounced Check

Old 05-09-2014, 10:47 AM

I would read more cheesy romances if there was more girl/girl ones.

While I don't read very many romance novels, it is fun to follow romance writer blogs, like storytellingrules.com. It's really interesting to see an inside perspective of the industry.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 05-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Yes, there is a notable lack of gay romance in the industry from what I can tell. It's very straight-dominated, and sexually mainstream. (I think that is why 50 Shades of Gray made such a stir, because it had any kink in it at all.)

Lately I've been thinking about writing my own romance novel, so I've been learning more about the genre from the industry side of the line. My sister even got me a couple books about writing romances, so that blog looks cool. I'm definitely going to have to read more of it.

frenchtoasted
Unicorn

Old 05-11-2014, 03:04 AM

Oooooo give me the historical romance novels, the bodice rippers, extra fabio please lol. Im in it for the sex scense because I can be (8

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 AM

Haha, yes! Most of the romances I've read have been historical ones, and I've enjoyed them a lot. I'm starting to read some contemporary ones now, but I have a harder time picking them out, because the covers are always so lame. XD

I just learned that "bodice ripper" is a considered a negative term in the industry, because it refers to stories that involve rape, but I always though it was because the characters were just too passionate to wait to get out of their clothes. I thought it just mean the romance was particularly steamy. Oh well, I guess I'm kind of naive? Still, I like my definition better.

I'm so in it for the sex scenes too. All the lead-up tension is no fun without that as a payoff.

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 03:35 AM

I read any kind of book that comes my way, and most of the time I like it. I like all the messed up drama and complications in romance novels But I tend to lean more towards mystery/killer books.

frenchtoasted
Unicorn

Old 05-12-2014, 08:12 PM

I always thought it was a play on the cover art, the women always with the one shoulder exposed as fabio dramatically holds her lol. I cant get into the more modern novels the wrtitijg just isn't as cheesy anymore it seems.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 05-13-2014, 04:29 AM

Lexadis, there is a whole sub-genre of romance devoted to mysteries and thrillers. The only difference between them and other mysteries, so far as I can tell, is just that they emphasize the romance over the mystery.

frenchtoasted, I've mostly been reading older romances from the 80s and 90s, and they do seem extra cheesy to me, though they must have seemed quite good when they came out. I just started reading one published last year, and though the writing isn't spectacular, I find myself taking it more seriously. Not totally seriously, of course, but a bit. I guess because it's actually current, I don't feel as detached from it the way I do with historical ones, or old modern ones.

Uniplex
Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sic...

Old 05-14-2014, 01:38 PM

I don't really like romance novels, but the closest thing to one I absolutely adore is "He Loves me Not", which is a suspense novel about a girl who falls in love with a guy that ends up being a total douchebag drunkard and abuses her, and to make him even douchier he is running an illegal chop shop. She ends up escaping.
Its just an adorable tale I think <3 The first one in the series is free on Amazon.

BrookeHaven

Old 06-17-2014, 07:41 PM

I absolutely LOVE romance novels. They're my not-so-secret guilty pleasure although I do have a hard time reading anything along the Harlequin or Elora's Cave stretch *uncontrollable shuddering*.
My absolute favorite genre would have to be time-travel romance. Outlander was simply outstanding. It gives such a real picture of the dirt, grit, and danger of early Scotland and I suggest it to just about every one I meet.
Another really great series is Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. It features the paranormal against the backdrop of sultry New Orleans. After the first few novels the overall story really begins to shape up ~.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 AM

I've read a number of time-travel romances, but I haven't read Outlander yet. It's on my list.

I read a really strange one where the heroine fell into the future, but somehow managed to also drag the hero into the past...but only sometimes, and she was like a ghost when she was in her own time. It...didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Adain-chan
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Adain-chan

Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 AM

If you like romance and you like science fiction and fantasy then you should check out Vaginal Fantasy Book Club. These four ladies read and review a new book every month, I think, and have a live hangout on Youtube. They also have a Good Reads forum too, it's pretty great. You might find some ideas for some good books to read.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 08-13-2014, 12:03 AM

What a great club name! I will have to check that out.

Adain-chan
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Adain-chan

Old 08-13-2014, 05:11 PM

It is pretty great. I'm not one for romance books, but it's pretty fun hearing them talk about them and rate them compared to other books they've read. If you join the book club you can read along and talk about it with other people who are reading and some areas even have real life meet ups of members who are all reading the books. It sounds like a lot of fun. Also Felicia Day is one of the ladies that leads the discussion which is awesome.

egwene

Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 PM

I love historical romances and paranormal romances. Ever since I was 12 lol. My mom was an avid reader and I would sneak her books and read under my blanket at nights. They werent cheesy to me back then, but now going over earlier editions of some books I cant help but laugh at the colorful tacky writing. Its much better
now in terms of plot and different genres. No longer just the arab sultan and his american bride etc.

Michy Lea
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Michy Lea Send a message via MSN to Michy Lea Send a message via Yahoo to Michy Lea

Old 05-01-2015, 12:33 AM

I prefer contemporary or paranormal romances. My favorite author is Sherrilyn Kenyon. I love her Dark-Hunter series and its spin-offs, Dream Hunters and Chronicles of Nick. I also like Lori Foster's books. They typically involve fighters, like UFC, which is something I'm into. They both have had several plus size women as the heroine of the book, which is always nice for me. The stereotypical skinny, model-type gets old. I tend not to like time travel books, though.

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 05-03-2015, 11:51 PM

Romance novels are a guilty pleasure of mine. I read them to unwind from other serious or long winded books. I've read a lot of them this year to de-stress from work. Haha

My mom is actually really good friends with a lot of romance writers. They send her free books and help her get books she can't find.
One of my favorite writers is friends with my mom and I didn't know. She even dedicated a book to my mom and aunt.

Julie Miller writes for harlequin intrigue. That genre is my favorite to read.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM

I used to read a lot of romance novels in high school, but I haven't lately. The books I thought were really well written then seem cheesy to me now. But I still read tons of romance fanfiction. I do think some of it is looking for less mainstream and for gay romances as that's easier to find online. I have some gay novels but so far the few I've read have been just as cliche as the straight romance.

But I'm totally not in it for the sex. Sure I think it's pointless to write my romance novels without it, but I always read for plot, characters, and any secondary plot/suspense/healing that needed to happen. I'd prefer a romance with plot.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 07-10-2015, 03:59 AM

I'm just leaving this here.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, CANADA? - Album on Imgur

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Omg! Man, I was willing to consider it's merits just like Lolita as literary questioning....except for that passage. And I'm all for the taboo in romance, but that passage...
I can't even!!!