The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 PM

The Good News/What We Agree On

(Please note, I have noticed, thought, taken, and will continue to take a very long time to formulate my words just right because this is a very sensitive issue to me. In very short summary, I agree with Menewsha's overall goals in moving forward in terms of helping new users. However a step taken a little while back has basically 'killed' my charity and all the basic subtle acclimation of new people that came with it, not to mention the name was almost taken word for word, which was unintentional but still poses a problem...

I am not blind, I can see things from both sides and I can see the pros and cons from both sides
1. In my opinion: Menewsha is the best avatar site on the internet.
I'm still here, aren't I? (More elaboration to come)

2. I have been with Menewsha for 'a little while' now, and it has come quite a ways as well!
x

3. I was very excited when the Menewshan Staff decided to put in something extra to help new users*!
x

4. Therefore, I think it is safe to conclude that the Menewshan staff and I wish for the same thing, overall.
x

Last edited by The_Crow; 06-16-2012 at 10:36 AM..

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 03-30-2012, 04:38 PM

Like it or not, my Charity is setting the precedent for ALL "newbie charities" at this point.

1. The History and Goals of The New User's First Stop

When I first joined Menewsha, the only 'help' for new users was the 'fresh meat' forum where you could get questions answered, but no gold, no items, and no begging either. I ended up in Kultura:'s "The Newbie Closet". Unfortunately when she had to close her doors I felt it was imperitive to pick up where she left off. My model was inspired by hers, and my first Menewshan friends were not made in fresh meat, but in the charity thread, which became and remained my home for the longest time until I eventulally spread my wings to The Menewsha Nations.

2. Yes, We have Ups and Downs in Activity
The person who runs the charity is a human being. In fact, one who is permanently disabled with both physical and emotional disabilities. I do have backup contingency plans for when I'm gone (the 'whitelisted'), however it is a known fact that without my prescense for page/post prizes and the incentives to all the charity's activity is lower. As for the actual flow of new users THAT IS SOMETHING BEYOND MY CONTROL. Sometimes I have had five in a week, sometimes I have had one in a month.

3. With "newbie shop", this puts competes with the newbie charities.

It is very easy and enticing to make two clicks and be clothed for 60 gold instead of jumping through a few hoops that will help new users become acclimated to the site, from reading the the first page, PMing, learning to REALLY read the first page, having a small conversation, all of these basic things are required before they get the goods, but they can do in one sitting if they're lucky.

4. The fork in the road: a revamp for our charity and increase in activity, or doors closing.

One solution is to up the quality of the 'merchendice' for the new users. Initially we gave out the more 'ragged' clothes just so the users could be clothed WHILE they saved up their gold for a 'real outfit'. With the 'Newbie Emporium' shop selling real clothes at the same price that will no longer fly.

We will now give out combinations of singlets and shorts and/or skirts (pending avatar gender) from the basic/54 store. This will be more costly, but more appealing given all the other things that the new users 'learn' in my charity whether it is outright or subtle.

Last edited by The_Crow; 06-16-2012 at 10:37 AM..