Iro

Event Coordinator
Send a message via AIM to Iro
  • Challenge Iro in the Arcade

Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Art by ToriKat. Banner by Sizzla.

Last edited by Iro; 06-05-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Iro

Event Coordinator

Old 05-12-2010, 12:57 PM

1+1 = ?

Welcome to Fantastical Flora, the scents of the first delightful breeze of Spring!
Don't the smell of fresh flowers just tickle the green thumb in you?
In this contest, the main theme is plant and flower breeding, and the objective is to come up with a unique breed never seen before!

Nalin was really excited about this contest, but the poor guy was so busy handling the preparations for this event, he barely had time to rest. I'm sure he would really love to see all the great entries for this contest, however. So give your best!

Basic outline of this contest:
  • You are required to breed/design/create a plant or flower, no limitations. Go crazy with your creations! It does not even have to be naturally grown. ;D
  • You may use any kind of media, even mixed media. CG, paints, pencils, craft, and so on. Photo manipulation may also be allowed, but the requirements are stricter (see plagarism).
  • Feel free to add in a story or any additional information about your entry.
  • To submit your entry, use the entry forms given in posts 4 and 5 below for each category respectively.
    Entries submitted not using the form would be rejected.

We are proud to be your hosts !

A good day to all. I am Iroase Delschatten.
Some may remember me from previous events hosting contests which prompt those creative juices to flow, and this event is no exception. I am looking forward to seeing your splendiferous creations!

I am Aoi Midori, and this is my second time co-hosting a contest of creative pursuits. As I myself am a fledgling botanist, this contest is near and dear to my heart, so I wanna see the best you have to offer, whether it be paints, pencils, pipe clears, glitter, glue or CG. ;)

Last edited by Iro; 06-05-2010 at 11:17 AM..

Sally Sinema
  • Challenge Sally Sinema in the Arcade

Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 PM

The Rules

• Follow Menewsha's site rules and TOS at all times.
  • Please, only one entry per category, no mules allowed (we will know).
  • All entries must be new works created for this contest, no entering with some school project you made 3 years ago. ;P
  • Art Theft is a punishable offense. Do not do it! You will be disqualified and your account will receive an infraction.
  • All media is acceptable so long as its your own work.
  • Have fun!

The Prizes

*Best steam punk inspired flower or plant
SteamPunk Head Gear + 1500g

*Most unusual flower or plant
SteamPunk Head Gear + 1500g

Grand Prize - Overall Best Entry

Pirate's Booty & SteamPunk Head Gear!!!

Last edited by Iro; 05-16-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Iro

Event Coordinator

Old 05-12-2010, 01:30 PM

Steampunk Category

Steampunk up the gifts of nature!

HTML Code:
[COLOR="SandyBrown"][FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="5"][B]Like a never ending clockwork[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[b]Username: [/b]
[b]Entry: [/b]
[b]Description: [/b](optional)

Last edited by Iro; 05-27-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Sally Sinema

Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM

Rare Breed Category

Let your imagination grow! Show us your rare, your bizarre, your extravagant blooms!

HTML Code:
[COLOR="YellowGreen"][FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="5"][B]A new soul blossoms in nature[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[b]Username: [/b]
[b]Entry: [/b]
[b]Description: [/b](optional)

Last edited by Sally Sinema; 05-27-2010 at 04:37 PM..

Iro

Event Coordinator

Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 PM

Steampunk Entries

Quote:
Like a never ending clockwork
Username: Fiziali
Category: Steampunk
Entry:
Description: The Gyroblossom plant is a synthetically engineered shrub which blooms year round. The blossoms are gear shaped, probably due to the fact that the plant's creator is none other than the famous engineer, Thermoplatt. The plant's foliage is usually some shade of brown, with the color of the blossoms growing in different shades of brown, red, orange, bronze, and yellow, and do make up a very lovely Steampunk bouquet.

Quote:
Username: Spicedroses
Entry: http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...oldenDaisy.png
Description: (optional)Victoria ran deeper into the forest as the rain fell down around her. She couldn't seem to stop the tears as they fell continuously down her soft cheeks. What a fool she had been not to see what was happening right in front of her. All the lies she had believed, looking down at the small box in her hands she felt her eyes become even more blurred from the tears that fell with the rain.

It was supposed to have been a gift for her beloved, but that had all changed in a moments notice. Because she had been betrayed. The sudden clap of thunder above her head startling her out of her thoughts as the flash of lightening blinded her momentarily. The rush of the ground coming towards her as she fell seemed to last forever before she finally hit, the pain in her head was excrutiating. The pain though, was nothing compared to the pain that she felt in her heart.

Struggling to sit up she fell once more into the mud around her. The box and it's contents open and scattered in the dirt. A beautiful engraved compass lay in the mud before her. Along side her grandmothers Daisy's pendant watch that had hung around her own neck only moments before. Watching as the pieces sank slowly from her view and deeper into the dirt and mud she couldn't help but think. That it would be nice to have more time to find what you are looking for. And something or someone to guide you along the way. The sky growled with thunder as another flash of lightening filled the air, striking the ground where she lay. And Victoria, was seen no more.....

it is said that that the rare Golden Daisy known by many as Victoria's Tears grows only in this area. It's two layers of golden petals turn counter clockwise to each other. Its stem a corded rope of bronze color that flows deep within the ground. Its flower enclosed tightly in little round spinning balls that hang from it till they blossom. What makes this flower so special one might ask. It's the only flower of it's kind, the only flower made of time. If your lucky, you will find it, In moonlight as lightening strikes. Through space and time you will travel. It's turning petals guiding through your flight.
Quote:
Username:Rose Pearl
Entry:
Description:Clock workers most treasured invention..Special clocky flower (optional)
Quote:
Username: XxEmber_MistxX
Entry: {{I hope this one is better}}

Description: Meant to help with the circulation of Sap inside the trees, After the first set of gears were put on the trees, they suddenly began growing right out of the tree's themselves.

No one can really explain why this happened, but the plants are now called Spring-stars, since the petals of the flowers are actually metal, and look like stars, they continuously rotate by the pull of little springs hidden inside the actual petals.
(optional)
Quote:
Username: RetroFit
Entry:
Description: This flower was bred with an antique pocket watch and now grows mainsprings dangling from each of it's petals. The roots dig in and become one with the flower pot and it's stamen does atmospheric reads on the air around it to keep perfect standard time.(optional)
Quote:
[/COLOR]Like a never ending clockwork
[b]Username: [TutsTalkin...]
[b]Entry: []
[b]Description: [my garden of lost cancer persons I love,in the stars watching over me]
Quote:
Username: Emasaurus
Entry:
Description: It was bound to happen. What with all the back-yard bioenginering that has been going on the past few decades. Somewhere, something got loose and it's integrated into the natural wildlife. This form of Asiatic Lilly (deftly dubbed the wind lilly by some) has sprung up in great numbers. The petals have become tougher, and more cupped to catch the wind. The cups alternate in indentation from the primary petals to the secondary petals so that the wind is always in its favor. The whole blossom sits on a rotating base to harvest the energy created by the spinning of the petals on a windy day. The pistil has evolved into four long rods cupped at the end to better catch thrown pollen (some also say the flower uses this to gauge wind speed for its own purposes. Not enough research has been done in this area.) The leaves also appear to harbor circut-like patterns. Still a mystery as to why exactly this is, some theorize that the plant itself harbors an internal computer which is why it can harvest wind energy at all.
Quote:
Username: lunanuova
Entry: http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/x...punkflower.png
Description:
-The petals are shaped like Spanners
-The stem is made out of pipes
-When the petals close up around the light bulb at night, the flower glows like a lantern. The bulb lights through the orang-ey petals.
-The gears are green.
Quote:
Username: Robard
Entry:
Description: A silk and brass orchid, created to liven up a laboratory too harsh for plants to grow in. Having been designed by an engineer, of course it doubles as a portable data recording device; the gears set into the petals and the hydraulic stems allow it to fold up for storage.
Quote:
Username: Bonnie
Entry:
Description: This rose runs on diesel and is harvested every year by train yards and airship companies for it's coiled brass that they remove from the petals. The boiler is in the roots and the fuel is pumped into the soil. Two spring valves on the side release at the flower's maturity to signal the harvest and also to ignite and switch a cogwork that releases the hinges of the petals from the stem base. The companies use the coiled brass tubing for their steam powered mechanics. A large celebration occurs each year to usher in the time of the brass harvest. The flowers also make lovely arrangements for festivities or to adorn any neovictorian parlor.

I did use a picture to get the smoke, it is royalty free and public and is located here:
Credit: Ime

Last edited by Iro; 06-05-2010 at 06:12 AM..

Sally Sinema

Old 05-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Rare Breed Entries

Quote:
A new soul blossoms in nature
Username: Titanic
Entry:http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...punkflower.jpg
Description:Some idiot fell asleep while planting the seeds his master gave him.Four little seeds of different plants fell into the hole.Moments later the idiot awoke.Thinking he had finished he patted the dirt over the four seeds.Watered them.And went to bed.Everyday he came to check on the little plant.A year passed and this came out.He scratched his head and called for his master."You idiot!I dont go making manmade seeds just so this comes up!Now ill never win that contest!" (optional)

(This bouquet is entirely my own creation)
Quote:
Username: XxEmber_MIstxX
Category: Rare Breed
Entry:
Description: Found mostly in the rain forest and in swamps.... The GraveRobber's veins takes it's nutrients from the remains of dead plants and animals that drown under the water, or near it.(optional)
Quote:
Username:Rose Pearl
Entry:
Description:Unseen flower...only described in books...but after years of trials and errors..One gardener has succeeded to grow ancient flower,a myth ...flower called Atlantian Spyre Illuminare With its unusual look and vibrant colors this flower give off smell of purity (optional)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aq_aria View Post
Username:aq_aria
Entry:http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...lowerEntry.jpg
Description:This is the aurora flower. It has a strange aura and usually blossoms at night.
Quote:
Username: iirain
Entry: Photoshop.com - Contract008.jpg
Description: There is only 1 lady of the flowers. She dances from garden to garden enchanting the blooms. She was born when the first flowers bloomed. When a blue rose opened she flew out of the top bringing more seeds and colors into the world. But if anyone should catch her, all of the flowers of the world would die.
Quote:
[b]Username: [TutsTalkin..]
[b]Entry: [ ]
[b]Description: [This is my sunshine,she helps my flowers grow,don't know what I'd without her...][COLOR="Silver"]
Quote:
Username: Popcorn Gun
Entry: Droserus Distilliatoria
Description: The Droserus Distilloria was located in the jungles on an island of the coast of the chains. It was observed and noted to be a carnivorous plant, it's blooms trapping insects in it's center.

The spots on the flowers petals emit light (a form of bioluminescence) intially attracting any nearby bugs, from there the bloom draws the bugs to it's center using a sticky aromatic sap. Once caught the bloom shuts and digest the creature.

The flowers grow on short bushes each with 4-6 blooms.
Quote:
Username: Emasaurus
Entry:
Description: Snap Fashions! Everyone knows that high fashion has to be fresh; and what can be more fresh than nature? This gorgeous strain of snap dragons has been engineered to grow big and beautiful, with a soft, satin-y texture. You pretty much just have to wait til they bloom* and then throw on some accents and -voila- instant party dress.
[SIZE="1"]*plants take approximately five years to bloom, due to size...
Quote:
Username: Sakura_Madison
Entry:

Description:

Julirosoli is a nocturnal plant, which shows its true form at night. This plant grows on the rocks by rivers on top of the Andean Cordillera of South America. When daylight dawns, their petals close up and wait till nightfall. What makes them glow, is from the nutrients in the rock, which contains copper inside.
Quote:
Username: Roachi
Entry: http://i48.tinypic.com/iee5a1.jpg - This is the original image, i have made myself out of coloured paper and pipe cleaners. LOL @ My pencil marks i forgot to rub out. Ahh well we'll pretend those are petal veins :P
http://i45.tinypic.com/1z23u6f.jpg - This is an image i've made from the original, using photoshop & Microsoft digital imaging.
Description: None.
Quote:
Username: Iltu
Entry:
Description: The dragon’s teeth (Laqueum dracon) is a carnivorous plant of magical properties that thrives in areas full of its natural prey. While other plants of this type typically lure and trap insects for their meals, the dragon’s teeth feeds on fleet thief fairies (volaticus furs). The plant closes its petals around its style, stigma, and pistil, which are collectively shaped as a dragon’s mouth. When an unwary fairy flits by, the petals unfold and the dragon-like plant strikes! Its small but powerful jaws sever its quarry’s spine, at which time the petals close back together around the prey. At this time, digestion begins, a process that takes several days.

Draco minimus (known colloquially as the bean dragon), the smallest species of dragon known to man, often makes its home near areas populated with dragon’s teeth. It is a well known fact that fleet thief fairies earned their name because they steal colorful bean dragon eggs to decorate their homes with. The dragon’s teeth serves as protection for many a bean dragon’s nest, and the bean dragon in turn helps to pollinate this curious species of flower.

The petals of the dragon’s teeth vary in shape, size, number, and color, making it hard to recognize unless it is actively chomping down on a fairy. However, at a second glance, it can always be identified by its distinctive leaves, which are shaped like dragon wings.
Quote:
Username: blueblackrose
Entry:
Description: The Naragulya is a flower that grows in the higher regions of Mount Kuede. This flower has mysterious powers and is sacred to both the Edreulvens and Katayans. It’s said that finding one of these rare blossoms will bring the finder great luck or even the blessing from one of the Mane gods (Edreulven beliefs) or Blod Mane gods (Katayan beliefs). Those who seek this flower must be ware for in the icy high regions of Mount Kuede is the home of Milena, a power ice dragon, who is one of the guardians of the Naragulya flowers.

Last edited by Iro; 06-05-2010 at 04:56 PM..

Iro

Event Coordinator

Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Reserved.

Sally Sinema

Old 05-14-2010, 03:36 AM

reserved

Sensible Cricket
  • Challenge Sensible Cricket in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 AM

QUESTION!! :heart:

If one wants to do photo editing, obviously one will need source images. As long as those are credited to their original sources, is that cool? ^^;

*Hime*
  • Challenge *Hime* in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 AM

I will most likely enter yer contest this time Iro (:

Roachi

Penpal
  • Challenge Roachi in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Ohh how awesome. I'll definitely have to put my thinking cap on! :)

Rylynne
  • Challenge Rylynne in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM

This is strangely reminiscent of Plants vs. Zombies. xDD;; <3<3
Maybe I'll try playing that game and try to get inspired by it or something so I can enter. XP

Bartuc
  • Challenge Bartuc in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 05:15 PM

*sabotages the prizes* :twisted:

Sally Sinema

Old 05-25-2010, 05:41 PM

@ Sensible Cricket, we will need an image and credit of the original photo and it *must* be at least 60% different/altered from the original. (this is industry standard to avoid plagiarism). :)

inuyasha666hiei
  • Challenge inuyasha666hiei in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 05:43 PM

i wud enter but i dont know how to post stuff XD

Sensible Cricket
  • Challenge Sensible Cricket in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Thank you very kindly for the clarification, Miss Aoi Midori. :heart:

sadrain
  • Challenge sadrain in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 06:26 PM

Ooo. O: This is interesting!
I wish I could scan my drawings, then maybe I would enter. x3

Tae Sheng
  • Challenge Tae Sheng in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Ohhh reminds me of advanced bio from high school! Punnett square here I come! XD

M i n u x e
  • Challenge M i n u x e in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 PM

O, there's no flower template for this contest which is nice. I don't think past art contests had no template.

Valendra
  • Challenge Valendra in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 PM

Ooooh..... Might give this a shot o.O
*waves* hey guys! ^__^ *leaves a cookie tray* everybody loves cookies 8D

ThyFaerieQueen
  • Challenge ThyFaerieQueen in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 PM

Punnet Square, I remember those.

BlueEyedWallflower
  • Challenge BlueEyedWallflower in the Arcade

Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 AM

I'm extremely lazy. This is obviously a unique and fun idea for a contest. It's too bad I have so little effort to put into it. Thanks college. :(

Ember Mist
Send a message via MSN to Ember Mist
  • Challenge Ember Mist in the Arcade

Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 AM

So...
For the rare breed..
Can we take a picture of one...
And draw it,
Add more things to it and submit it?
As long as we show the original photo?

Edit:
I can't think of any other ideas to alter it more with out ruining what I've already drawn so I'm just going to drop out of the competition.

Last edited by Ember Mist; 05-27-2010 at 12:58 AM..

MissAndroid
  • Challenge MissAndroid in the Arcade

Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 AM

This contest looks cool, I might just participate.