roxxie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 AM

* completely random comment but anyway *

A few weeks ago, I bought this sparkly beige/nude nail polish. Honestly, I'm very cheap and I tend to buy nail polish at drug stores. There was a shade I really liked at Sephora, but I didn't buy it because I thought it was expensive. Anyway, I wasn't originally planning to buy anything sparkly, because for a long while I thought glittery and sparkly nail polish was tacky- even if it's in trend. I had no choice but to get the sparkly polish because I didn't like the other plain colors. To my surprise, I actually really liked it! It's a bit hard to remove when the glitter sticks to your nail, but otherwise I made a good purchase :)

What kinds of nail polish do you guys like the most? I still prefer the plain, no-special-effect ones though. They're the most versatile, I guess.

---------- Post added 08-22-2012 at 09:57 PM ----------

Oh, also, does a base coat keep your nails from getting dry and brittle? I've never used a base coat before, and once, I had nail polish on my hands for about a month, and when I removed it my nails were stripped of their moisture. They had really visible vertical ridges that weren't there before (or at least, they weren't as noticeable as before). Was it just because I had nail polish on for too long? :c

Now I'm worried about putting on nail polish. Since then, I've been applying lotion to my polish-free nails and it is working. How often can you put nail polish on without damaging them?

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 AM

I think I can answer some of your questions. :)

First a little tip: if you soak cotton pads in nail polish remover and then put them on your glittery nails then cover/seal them in with foil and leave it for three minutes, the glitter polish will come right off. Look up "how to remove glitter polish" on youtube and you'll find prime examples. :)

As for what nail polish I like, it depends on the season. In the summer I prefer bright colors and plain old french manicures. In the winter I really get into dark, moody, colors. My favorite thing is to paint my nails fluorescent purple and then put a coat of blue glitter on top. It's a gawgeous effect. I'll have to post it up here next time I do it.

Base coat helps to keep your nails from getting dry and brittle, but no matter what nail polish will eventually affect your nails. The problem is that nail polish makes it so that your nails and cuticles can't breathe, and that's why they end up funky looking. You didn't damage your nails permanently, so don't worry. If you want to avoid it I'd just leave the polish on for a week at a time and then let them rest for a week before you paint them again.

You could also get yourself a buffing block. It'll take the ridges out of your nails and you can paint them more often. Don't overuse the buffing block, though, because that will permanently screw up your nails if you do it too often (more than once every three-four weeks).

Last edited by ElysiumFate; 08-23-2012 at 06:35 AM..

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM

I really want to put on some polish but I damaged my nails quite a bit from moving heavy boxes all weekend. V_V

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-24-2012, 04:04 AM

I really, really, really want the fall colors.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM

I haven't seen any of the fall lines yet. >_<

ElysiumFate

Old 08-24-2012, 05:30 PM

They're browns and burnt orange colors, mostly. At least the ones I've seen.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-24-2012, 05:43 PM

I'm not a huge brown or orange person myself. I do have done darker colors I would like to wear though...

ElysiumFate

Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 AM

Yeah, I agree. I do like some orange polish now and then, though. Might splurge on a good burnt orange if I see it for fall and Halloween.

I looked again and I'm seeing a lot of plums and golds, too.

---------- Post added 08-24-2012 at 07:26 PM ----------

*holds up finger*

Here's OPI's fall collection: The PolishAholic: OPI Fall 2012 Germany Collection Comparisons!

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-25-2012, 02:58 AM

Greys and dark reds are popular fall colors as well.

Here are some of the line-ups:
Essie - OPI - China Glaze - Orly - Zoya

Last edited by Connielass; 08-25-2012 at 03:10 AM..

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-25-2012, 03:38 AM

I like that Essie shade "Skirting the issue".

---------- Post added 08-24-2012 at 11:41 PM ----------

That China Glaze "Man Hunt" is a pretty amazing blue and I think hummy: might like the tealy elephant one.

---------- Post added 08-24-2012 at 11:51 PM ----------

And Zoya has some pretty nice shades.

Sorry my response was so choppy. Trying to look at everything on my phone makes things difficult. >.<

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 08-25-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
I like that Essie shade "Skirting the issue".

---------- Post added 08-24-2012 at 11:41 PM ----------

That China Glaze "Man Hunt" is a pretty amazing blue and I think hummy: might like the tealy elephant one.

---------- Post added 08-24-2012 at 11:51 PM ----------

And Zoya has some pretty nice shades.

Sorry my response was so choppy. Trying to look at everything on my phone makes things difficult. >.<

i love it, ziggie!
thank you for the ping, sweetie!

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-25-2012, 04:12 AM

My favorite colors:

Essie - Recessionista
OPI - German-icure
Orly - Smolder
Zoya - Daul
CG - Purr-fect Plum

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 AM

I want to try some nail art today. Any suggestions for anything?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post

i love it, ziggie!
thank you for the ping, sweetie!
No problem!

---------- Post added 08-25-2012 at 11:16 AM ----------

@ luna: Hm, maybe you could do different moon phases! You're username made me think of it. ^^;

I'm going through withdrawl and will definitely be painting my nails after I shower. I had to file down my nails quite a bit since they were cracked from moving boxes but they're not too short to paint. >.<

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-25-2012, 07:55 PM

I have a mini bottle of Seche Vite top coat. It's about half used and I can't really use it any more. It has thickened a bit, but the larger issue is the teeny brush, plus the fact that the brush barely reaches the product now : /

I have started painting my nails again, even though I know they're just gonna chip pretty much straight away at work. Eternally optimistic, right?

roxxie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-26-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysiumFate View Post
I think I can answer some of your questions. :)

First a little tip: if you soak cotton pads in nail polish remover and then put them on your glittery nails then cover/seal them in with foil and leave it for three minutes, the glitter polish will come right off. Look up "how to remove glitter polish" on youtube and you'll find prime examples. :)

As for what nail polish I like, it depends on the season. In the summer I prefer bright colors and plain old french manicures. In the winter I really get into dark, moody, colors. My favorite thing is to paint my nails fluorescent purple and then put a coat of blue glitter on top. It's a gawgeous effect. I'll have to post it up here next time I do it.

Base coat helps to keep your nails from getting dry and brittle, but no matter what nail polish will eventually affect your nails. The problem is that nail polish makes it so that your nails and cuticles can't breathe, and that's why they end up funky looking. You didn't damage your nails permanently, so don't worry. If you want to avoid it I'd just leave the polish on for a week at a time and then let them rest for a week before you paint them again.

You could also get yourself a buffing block. It'll take the ridges out of your nails and you can paint them more often. Don't overuse the buffing block, though, because that will permanently screw up your nails if you do it too often (more than once every three-four weeks).
Ah, thanks so much! That was very helpful :) Yes, I've been meaning to get a buffing block! They must be really useful s:
I love bright colors in summer too c: They're quite fun.

---------- Post added 08-25-2012 at 05:15 PM ----------

One of my favorites right now are nude shades. They're plain, but they look so pretty c:

AmaranthRosenrot

Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 AM

I havent been able to find Matte nail polish, and I have tried ULTA (my favorite store). I will say that CVS's exclusive Wet n wild "spoiled" series are great, They are just fantastic and only $1.99 each. (i got mine on sale for .99 cents. xD)

I also do love the china glaze brand, I just bought 5 new colors last week at ULTA and I bought the new "magnetize" nail polish (which I have yet to use).

Another good brand is OPI, I have about a dozen of OPI colors and my favorite top coat is Sally Hansen's Acrylic Diamond Coat. :)

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-26-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxie View Post
Ah, thanks so much! That was very helpful :) Yes, I've been meaning to get a buffing block! They must be really useful s:
I love bright colors in summer too c: They're quite fun.
Just be sure that it's a very fine-grit block. They're made in different grits, like sandpaper. You want the fine-grit so your nails don't get ruined by the simple act of buffing.

My nails are pretty thin right now, so I'm down to only buffing maybe once a month.

TheEcoEmo
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-26-2012, 07:58 AM

I didnt see that anyone happened to mention this, but now they have a MAGNETIC NAILPOLISH. They come in different colors, but it works in an odd way. You see, the lid of nailpolish has a magnet in it. And after you get done painting your nails, you hold them up to this lid until it dries. And because it is magnetic nail polish you are putting next to a magnet, you get these littles waves that are different colors than the actual polish itself (kind of like the ones that your computer/tv screen gets whenever a magnet comes close to it) It absolutley amazing. It suppose to be sort of exspensive though. Like, 4-5 bucks a bottle, so i havent bought any for myself yet.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaranthRosenrot View Post

I havent been able to find Matte nail polish, and I have tried ULTA (my favorite store). I will say that CVS's exclusive Wet n wild "spoiled" series are great, They are just fantastic and only $1.99 each. (i got mine on sale for .99 cents. xD)

I also do love the china glaze brand, I just bought 5 new colors last week at ULTA and I bought the new "magnetize" nail polish (which I have yet to use).

Another good brand is OPI, I have about a dozen of OPI colors and my favorite top coat is Sally Hansen's Acrylic Diamond Coat. :)
I have a Sally Hansen quick drying topcoat that seems to work pretty well so far.

I painted my nails yesterday with a very pale pink and some sparkles but ruined them almost instantly. I have two scratches in the polish on my right hand but since the color is so light it isn't very noticeable. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEcoEmo View Post
I didnt see that anyone happened to mention this, but now they have a MAGNETIC NAILPOLISH. They come in different colors, but it works in an odd way. You see, the lid of nailpolish has a magnet in it. And after you get done painting your nails, you hold them up to this lid until it dries. And because it is magnetic nail polish you are putting next to a magnet, you get these littles waves that are different colors than the actual polish itself (kind of like the ones that your computer/tv screen gets whenever a magnet comes close to it) It absolutley amazing. It suppose to be sort of exspensive though. Like, 4-5 bucks a bottle, so i havent bought any for myself yet.
Rosenrot was just talking about that above. I'm not really planning on getting a bottle myself but it does seem pretty cool. I have yet to see anyone wearing it in real life though! I'd really like to see what it looks like in person...

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-27-2012, 03:55 AM

Yeah, I haven't had a single customer ask or talk about magnetic polish since it was re-introduced.
Almost two months after China Glaze came out with their version of it, Sally's had it in clearance, because it wasn't selling, at all.
It's one of those things that is more a passing fad than a trend.

ElysiumFate

Old 08-27-2012, 05:01 AM

I mentioned magnetic polish back when it first came out. I think I'll grab some of the gunmetal colored magnetic polish before it stops selling, but honestly I don't like the magnetic polishes much.

Magnetic polishes and crackle polishes look like crap out of the Flinstones to me.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-27-2012, 05:11 PM

I haven't used my crackle polish since the first time I tried it. >_<

ElysiumFate

Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 AM

I have used my crackle polish twice. Both times I used it somebody would tell me how it just wasn't me, and they're right. I mean, I dress in rocker styles a lot, but it doesn't even work with that.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 AM

I liked the way it looks it's just an odd sort of style. I'm not sure about it really...