zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-18-2023, 04:44 PM

It's always hard for me to figure out what my next audiobook will be. It can be hard to find good ones from my library.

That's true! This day is definitely flying by. *gets back to work*

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-18-2023, 04:53 PM

I was going to do "The Rosie Project" as I heard it's quite funny, but I remembered my nephew had already started Magyk, and I promised to read it as well so we can go to lunch and discuss. Magyk is available through audio, so I figured why not. I hit borrow and I'll start it after The Lost Apothecary!

About to eat lunch over here so I'm a happy cat

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-18-2023, 06:50 PM

Uh oh, you better get reading then!!!

I just had my lunch a bit ago. I had tofu from the air fryer, stir fried bok choy, and a rice/quinoa mix. It was yummy!

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-18-2023, 07:57 PM

Funny, we are having a rice/quinoa/bok choy type stir fry for dinner tonight! Great minds!!

I finished The Lost Apothecary! SO GOOD! The very very last part of the book, with the two women in the water, was a little bit of a weird addition just because of how much I loved the science in the book (LOL) but it was so good. I very much enjoyed it! Sarah Penner has only 1 other book, The London Séance Society, so I added it to my "want to read" shelf on Goodreads!

Now to start Magyk! Wish me luck LOL

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 01-19-2023, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
Yeah, it is harder for me to sit still and read these days. I tend to read little chunks here and there.

Nah, it's just the usual migraines that come around that time of the month.

How many books are in the series?

---------- Post added 01-18-2023 at 11:10 PM ----------

If you guys want a good book I recommend this one. https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Book-...b-1ed7d59d1bda

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-19-2023, 02:05 PM

@ Kirin - If you don't have an audible account, that link doesn't bring you to the book lol What's the book?

@ Zig - Oh my goodness. I started Magyk, I read glowing reviews about how it's the next up and coming "Harry Potter like book" and how it's amazing. It was SOOOO boring. I went 5 chapters before I called it quits. I have since switched to The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion and it's SO good. I super recommend this read, it's quick, funny and really has me questioning why I don't do some of the things Don (the main character) does! LOL

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 01-19-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R a n d e h View Post
@ Kirin - If you don't have an audible account, that link doesn't bring you to the book lol What's the book?

@ Zig - Oh my goodness. I started Magyk, I read glowing reviews about how it's the next up and coming "Harry Potter like book" and how it's amazing. It was SOOOO boring. I went 5 chapters before I called it quits. I have since switched to The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion and it's SO good. I super recommend this read, it's quick, funny and really has me questioning why I don't do some of the things Don (the main character) does! LOL
Sorry. The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-19-2023, 02:42 PM

Ohh it sounds really good!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 01-20-2023, 03:48 AM

It is really good. I read for book club when I could go.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-20-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Funny, we are having a rice/quinoa/bok choy type stir fry for dinner tonight! Great minds!!

I finished The Lost Apothecary! SO GOOD! The very very last part of the book, with the two women in the water, was a little bit of a weird addition just because of how much I loved the science in the book (LOL) but it was so good. I very much enjoyed it! Sarah Penner has only 1 other book, The London Séance Society, so I added it to my "want to read" shelf on Goodreads!

Now to start Magyk! Wish me luck LOL
That is pretty funny that we ended up eating the same things! Last night's dinner was pretty sad, I ended up with an awful migraine and accidently overdosed on migraine meds so I ended up really hot/sweaty/dizzy/nauseous and settled on a small bowl of macaroni and cheese for dinner.

The Lost Apothecary SpoilersX

I don't know why but I hated that she threw the vile back into the river after everything. It super annoyed me, lol. I did like the ending with Neller though and the possible implication that they had found some sort of elixir of immortality or somesuch from her magic book.

You'll definitely have to let me know about her other book! I hope it's just as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post

---------- Post added 01-18-2023 at 11:10 PM ----------

If you guys want a good book I recommend this one. https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Book-...b-1ed7d59d1bda
Oh, I recently looked at that one but didn't end up putting it on my list. I'll have to check it again nowt hat you've recommended it.
Quote:

Uh oh, what are you going to tell your reading buddy?! What is The Rosie Project about?

I finished a book about OCD last night and started another one. The first one I read, Obsessed, wasn't super my thing. It goes through the character's sudden onset of severe OCD at the age of 15. It was really interesting to read about what was going on inside of her head but I felt like maybe the age difference put me off a little bit. I'm enjoying the other one I started more. It's called "Because We Are Bad". I plan on passing both on to a colleague next week so I'll have to finish this one pronto!

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-20-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
That is pretty funny that we ended up eating the same things! Last night's dinner was pretty sad, I ended up with an awful migraine and accidently overdosed on migraine meds so I ended up really hot/sweaty/dizzy/nauseous and settled on a small bowl of macaroni and cheese for dinner.

I don't know why but I hated that she threw the vile back into the river after everything. It super annoyed me, lol. I did like the ending with Neller though and the possible implication that they had found some sort of elixir of immortality or somesuch from her magic book.

You'll definitely have to let me know about her other book! I hope it's just as good.

Uh oh, what are you going to tell your reading buddy?! What is The Rosie Project about?

I finished a book about OCD last night and started another one. The first one I read, Obsessed, wasn't super my thing. It goes through the character's sudden onset of severe OCD at the age of 15. It was really interesting to read about what was going on inside of her head but I felt like maybe the age difference put me off a little bit. I'm enjoying the other one I started more. It's called "Because We Are Bad". I plan on passing both on to a colleague next week so I'll have to finish this one pronto!
I do not like the frequency in which you suffer from migraines. What can be done? It can't be fun Do you know why you do?!

LOL I don't disagree with your thoughts on the Lost Apothecary! I am kind of sad that there isn't a sequel on Nelly & Eliza for that reason!

I'm sort of hoping he doesn't like it either. If he doesn't, I'll take him to the book store and we can pick out something else. If he does, I'll get the notes on the book so that I can act like I am having an in-depth conversation on it. Thankfully he's 10, so it won't be too hard.

The Rosie Project is SUPER good. It's about a man who has Asperger's, but I don't think he knows he does (at least yet anyways). He starts a "wife project" where he wants to find a suitable mate to marry but he is tired of the conventional ways. So he develops an application that they must answer so that he can weed them all out and not waste his time. He eventually meets a lady named Rosie and they start a friendship. It's really funny because he says things completely wrong on the social standards but it's what you're thinking lol.

Interesting take on Obsessed, it appears your new book is also about a young girl. But maybe there will be more flash backs to now? You'll have to let me know how you enjoy it! You read the other very quickly!!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-20-2023, 06:59 PM

The migraines are particularly bad this week because it's that time of the month. I can have them literally all week long during that time period. There isn't really much you can do for that part other than take painkillers daily as a preventative measure. I can't remember what the doctor said to do about that. I think it was maybe twice a day, in the morning and the evening? I'll have to remember to ask again when I go for a follow-up next month. Otherwise the botox will hopefully start to help a bit more after my next round of injections. That'll be next month too so fingers crossed. It is pretty miserable and I've been trying so many different things to help, I just haven't found the right regiment yet.

I think The Lost Apothecary is a pretty recent book so it's possible that eventually there will be a sequel!

The Rosie Project does sound pretty interesting! I'd have to be in the right mindset to read it though.

Because We Are Bad starts in the very beginning with her being 19 I think and then goes back to her childhood so I think there will be more about her progression as she gets older rather than being stuck in just a few months of her life like in Obsessed. I dunno why but I find this one a bit more relatable. Maybe because the OCD of the person from Obsessed was a sudden onset and in Because We Are Bad, she had it since she was born as far as I can tell. In Obsessed, she literally wakes up with it one morning and it's kind of unbelievable to follow her logic. I mean, that's kind of the point with OCD, it's not logical, but for her it was REALLY illogical. In We Are Bad, it's more like explaining her rituals and for some reason they make more sense to me, they seem more rational. Also it's pretty funny because this book also mentioned the River Thames. It's following me now!

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-20-2023, 08:20 PM

That's rotten! I feel for you! I used to suffer from migraines when I was much younger, but I haven't had any since I was in school and I am very grateful. I'm hopeful you can find a solution! It's impossible to get enough done when you're dying in your head :(

That is true, it's her first book, her second looks good. Maybe she'll make her third a sequel to her first haha. I am always so greedy with stories, I want to know what happens next.

I super recommend it for a light funny read. And I feel like it may be better as an audio book as the reader does a really good job at not portraying too much emotion in his voice, which for this specific character, is a really good thing!

That is actually a good reasoning, and makes a lot of sense! I may have to read that one, I used to always say I have OCD when it comes to things. People often say that people self diagnose themselves and have no idea...but many times in my day I will think I need to do a certain thing to counteract how I'm feeling about something, and I will purposefully stop myself because I know it's not healthy. Or like at one point all numbers had to be even. So like if I set an alarm, it had to be at 8am, or at 7:30, perfectly rounded, or if I put the volume on the radio it had to be at 10 or 12, not 11 or 13. So because I know I do that, I purposefully stop myself. My alarms are 6:31am, 7:02 am and 7:35 am. I will make sure my volume is never at the same number and will just spin the dial and whatever it lands on it stays. It was REALLY hard to stop doing those things but I knew it would escalate so I stopped. I feel that's a VERY mild form compared to those books, but I feel we all start somewhere. I went a whole year wearing pants that were too big on me because I didn't like the number of the ones that fit LOL

That river is definitely following you LOL!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 01-20-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Oh, I recently looked at that one but didn't end up putting it on my list. I'll have to check it again nowt hat you've recommended it.

I very much enjoyed it.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 01-21-2023, 08:15 PM

I went to the library today and came back with Good Omens, The Scribe of Siena, and a book about chess.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 01-21-2023, 08:26 PM

Interesting combo of books Papillon.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-22-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
That's rotten! I feel for you! I used to suffer from migraines when I was much younger, but I haven't had any since I was in school and I am very grateful. I'm hopeful you can find a solution! It's impossible to get enough done when you're dying in your head :(

That is true, it's her first book, her second looks good. Maybe she'll make her third a sequel to her first haha. I am always so greedy with stories, I want to know what happens next.

I super recommend it for a light funny read. And I feel like it may be better as an audio book as the reader does a really good job at not portraying too much emotion in his voice, which for this specific character, is a really good thing!

That is actually a good reasoning, and makes a lot of sense! I may have to read that one, I used to always say I have OCD when it comes to things. People often say that people self diagnose themselves and have no idea...but many times in my day I will think I need to do a certain thing to counteract how I'm feeling about something, and I will purposefully stop myself because I know it's not healthy. Or like at one point all numbers had to be even. So like if I set an alarm, it had to be at 8am, or at 7:30, perfectly rounded, or if I put the volume on the radio it had to be at 10 or 12, not 11 or 13. So because I know I do that, I purposefully stop myself. My alarms are 6:31am, 7:02 am and 7:35 am. I will make sure my volume is never at the same number and will just spin the dial and whatever it lands on it stays. It was REALLY hard to stop doing those things but I knew it would escalate so I stopped. I feel that's a VERY mild form compared to those books, but I feel we all start somewhere. I went a whole year wearing pants that were too big on me because I didn't like the number of the ones that fit LOL

That river is definitely following you LOL!
Agreed for sure. The one upside is that typically once you hit menopause the migraines tend to get better? I only have what, like 20 more years to go?

That's really interesting, especially the thing about the pants! I just finished reading this latest OCD book and I did really like it. I do have to give a content warning though for suicide in case that's applicable to anyone. I have one more memoir to go on my shelves. This one is about living with acne which is very relatable. I have dermatillomania (OCD-related skin picking disorder) so my face almost always has spots on it.

---------- Post added 01-22-2023 at 10:10 AM ----------

I've updated my list! With that latest book, that's 5 read this year!

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 01-22-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
Interesting combo of books Papillon.
Yeah, I like reading a variety of things.

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-22-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Agreed for sure. The one upside is that typically once you hit menopause the migraines tend to get better? I only have what, like 20 more years to go?

That's really interesting, especially the thing about the pants! I just finished reading this latest OCD book and I did really like it. I do have to give a content warning though for suicide in case that's applicable to anyone. I have one more memoir to go on my shelves. This one is about living with acne which is very relatable. I have dermatillomania (OCD-related skin picking disorder) so my face almost always has spots on it.

---------- Post added 01-22-2023 at 10:10 AM ----------

I've updated my list! With that latest book, that's 5 read this year!
Only 20 more years, well in that case no big deal! LOL Hopefully you can find some relief before that!

I'm glad you finished and enjoyed the book! I have never heard about dermatillomania, but I pick at my damn skin all the time so now I have to go research this and possibly read the book LOL that being said, I do not have acne so it may not relate as much.

I also finished a book, the audio book I was reading, The Rosie Project! It was SO good and the ending was absolutely perfect. Apparently there are sequels (my step mom told me) so I will have to google those. I just started another audio book: A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. I had read about her when she was found and I thought her story was quite interesting, but I had hoped she'd write about it herself so that I could have a better understanding. I found out today (thanks to perfectly targeted FB advertising LOL) that she has! These are the types of non-fiction I enjoy, not specifically on abduction, just on someone who has faced tremendous challenges and has overcome them gracefully.

And it's Sunday, which I say is "the day of the Lord" so I do nothing on Sundays but things for me (except when the niece has a sporting event we have to go to, or if we have travelled away for the weekend). My husband finds this quite funny, as I am not at all religious lol. Therefore he is downstairs watching football and I am getting caught up on Mene, Gaia, Flight Rising and listening to my audio book when I'm not typing haha! I've already meal prepped my breakfasts, lunches and snacks for the week. I still have to do Autym's but we'll get there!

I hope everyone elses Sundays are going splendidly!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 01-23-2023, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonCameo View Post
Yeah, I like reading a variety of things.
Me too.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-23-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Only 20 more years, well in that case no big deal! LOL Hopefully you can find some relief before that!

I'm glad you finished and enjoyed the book! I have never heard about dermatillomania, but I pick at my damn skin all the time so now I have to go research this and possibly read the book LOL that being said, I do not have acne so it may not relate as much.

I also finished a book, the audio book I was reading, The Rosie Project! It was SO good and the ending was absolutely perfect. Apparently there are sequels (my step mom told me) so I will have to google those. I just started another audio book: A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. I had read about her when she was found and I thought her story was quite interesting, but I had hoped she'd write about it herself so that I could have a better understanding. I found out today (thanks to perfectly targeted FB advertising LOL) that she has! These are the types of non-fiction I enjoy, not specifically on abduction, just on someone who has faced tremendous challenges and has overcome them gracefully.

And it's Sunday, which I say is "the day of the Lord" so I do nothing on Sundays but things for me (except when the niece has a sporting event we have to go to, or if we have travelled away for the weekend). My husband finds this quite funny, as I am not at all religious lol. Therefore he is downstairs watching football and I am getting caught up on Mene, Gaia, Flight Rising and listening to my audio book when I'm not typing haha! I've already meal prepped my breakfasts, lunches and snacks for the week. I still have to do Autym's but we'll get there!

I hope everyone elses Sundays are going splendidly!
I don't think the acne book is actually about dermatillomania, just regular bad acne. But if you do have dermatillomania there's another book I can recommend for that. Dermatillomania is similar to trichotillomania if you've heard of that (hair pulling). Basically, it's a compulsion where you can't stop yourself from picking at your skin. For me, anything that isn't smooth needs to be "fixed" and I can spend hours a day picking at my face, my cuticles, ingrown hairs on my legs, etc. Even when it hurts or bleeds I still can't stop. I've actually had to go to the doctor twice in the past year to get antibiotics because I picked things to the point of infection and intense pain. There are a lot of strategies to combat it but I haven't been able to put the effort into resisting lately so my face looks awful at the moment and I have a couple spots on the middle of my back and on my hip that I haven't been able to leave alone.

I finished the other young adult book I was reading about the boy and the native Americans. It was okay but given the choice of going back and skipping it I would have skipped it. I feel like it wasn't really worth the time. One more book to add to my list though I guess!

Sounds like a nice Sunday over there! We went for lunch and wandered around the mall. Nothing too crazy here!

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-23-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think the acne book is actually about dermatillomania, just regular bad acne. But if you do have dermatillomania there's another book I can recommend for that. Dermatillomania is similar to trichotillomania if you've heard of that (hair pulling). Basically, it's a compulsion where you can't stop yourself from picking at your skin. For me, anything that isn't smooth needs to be "fixed" and I can spend hours a day picking at my face, my cuticles, ingrown hairs on my legs, etc. Even when it hurts or bleeds I still can't stop. I've actually had to go to the doctor twice in the past year to get antibiotics because I picked things to the point of infection and intense pain. There are a lot of strategies to combat it but I haven't been able to put the effort into resisting lately so my face looks awful at the moment and I have a couple spots on the middle of my back and on my hip that I haven't been able to leave alone.
This is WILD to me because I never knew this was a thing. I DO THE EXACT SAME THING! I pick at everything, all the time, until I bleed and then even more. It has to be smooth! My lips are the worse. I pick pick pick! I used to get my nails done (fake acrylic) because it made the nails too thick to pick at anything successfully. I could find other ways, but at the very least it stopped when I was driving, working etc. I started reading up on this over the weekend and was blown away. I never knew this was a thing, I just thought I was insane. Wow. You've opened my eyes lol

Quote:
I finished the other young adult book I was reading about the boy and the native Americans. It was okay but given the choice of going back and skipping it I would have skipped it. I feel like it wasn't really worth the time. One more book to add to my list though I guess!

Sounds like a nice Sunday over there! We went for lunch and wandered around the mall. Nothing too crazy here!
Ah crud, I dislike when I waste time on an "okay" book. But you're right, one more for the count!! lol

A nice relaxing Sunday is worth it!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-23-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
This is WILD to me because I never knew this was a thing. I DO THE EXACT SAME THING! I pick at everything, all the time, until I bleed and then even more. It has to be smooth! My lips are the worse. I pick pick pick! I used to get my nails done (fake acrylic) because it made the nails too thick to pick at anything successfully. I could find other ways, but at the very least it stopped when I was driving, working etc. I started reading up on this over the weekend and was blown away. I never knew this was a thing, I just thought I was insane. Wow. You've opened my eyes lol

Ah crud, I dislike when I waste time on an "okay" book. But you're right, one more for the count!! lol

A nice relaxing Sunday is worth it!
I actually only found out that it was a real "thing" during the pandemic because it started getting way worse for me then and I tried looking it up. There's a nonprofit association called "Picking Me" that really helped me a lot. They have different informational packets and an online support group that really helped me. I mean, my dermatillomania is still there, but it's so liberating to know that you're not alone and other people are in this with you. They also helped give me lots of different ideas to help you combat urges like covering your mirror if that's a trigger place for you or grabbing fidgets to keep your hands busy, covering up problem spots with hydrocolloid patches to keep your fingers off them, etc. There are also a number of Facebook groups out there for it. Anyway, definitely hit me up if you're looking for specific ideas and resources because I've been there (and still am )!

The book that I mentioned for it is called "Overcoming Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors: A Comprehensive Behavioral Treatment for Hair Pulling and Skin Picking". It's a good book but to be honest I haven't finished it yet myself (it's been over a year). I feel like you have to be in the right place in your life to tackle the work that needs to go into things like this and I just haven't been there, but it does provide a good overview of what it is and a framework to work on it if you are interested.

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-25-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I actually only found out that it was a real "thing" during the pandemic because it started getting way worse for me then and I tried looking it up. There's a nonprofit association called "Picking Me" that really helped me a lot. They have different informational packets and an online support group that really helped me. I mean, my dermatillomania is still there, but it's so liberating to know that you're not alone and other people are in this with you. They also helped give me lots of different ideas to help you combat urges like covering your mirror if that's a trigger place for you or grabbing fidgets to keep your hands busy, covering up problem spots with hydrocolloid patches to keep your fingers off them, etc. There are also a number of Facebook groups out there for it. Anyway, definitely hit me up if you're looking for specific ideas and resources because I've been there (and still am )!

The book that I mentioned for it is called "Overcoming Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors: A Comprehensive Behavioral Treatment for Hair Pulling and Skin Picking". It's a good book but to be honest I haven't finished it yet myself (it's been over a year). I feel like you have to be in the right place in your life to tackle the work that needs to go into things like this and I just haven't been there, but it does provide a good overview of what it is and a framework to work on it if you are interested.
This is all really great information! I love learning about things like this, and the fact it's actually something I'm familiar with it makes it much more interesting to read about. I just don't know if I'm ready to implement ways to change it yet (is it weird that makes me anxious?! LOL).

I'm going to check into this more though and see about some small things! Thank you so much!!

On a book related topic:

I started the audio book A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard and I was not ready for the amount of sexual abuse that this poor girl went through. I knew she had, but since she's the author and the reader I just wasn't expecting her to go into detail and use the wording she did. I was blown away and then SUPER sad for her. It is a really good book in the sense that I am learning so much about what people are capable of (both in being cruel and also in overcoming things). It's a very intimate account of what she went through and I do not recommend the book for anyone who can't handle the details. Definitely took me by surprise. I'm about half way through.

I also finished the book Crooked Kingdom which is the second book in a 2 book spin-off from the original Shadow & Bone trilogy! It's weird because I prefer the original 3 books for their story but Crooked Kingdom is definitely the best book of the entire series so far, in terms of "WHOA" moments. It legit had me guessing the whole book and had me demolishing chapters to find out what else happens. I'm now starting the 2nd spin-off series from this same "world" called King of Scars, it also has 2 books in the spin-off haha!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 01-26-2023, 05:33 AM

I'm nearing completion of my second book of the year.