Penpal

Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 AM

calling all Dr Who fans

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
I don't blame you, I get some people mixed up sometimes too. Mostly people who don't post much or rarely post personal info. In case I'm a mix-up person for you, I'll remind you I'm second-breakfast.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling good!

Spoilery spoiler spoilersX

I didn't get that it was going to be the leaf because I'm kind of a dumb, but I did think it would be the book. As soon as the Doctor said something about them paying with sentimental objects, I figured she'd have to give away her book before the end of the episode.

Yeah, RTD's hints were great because they were subtle, he wasn't bashing you over the head with them. If it's all brand new to you, it's possible to watch the season and entirely miss most of them or not realize it's supposed to be significant (aside from the vote Saxon posters, there were a lot of off-hand references to "Mr. Saxon" which I did notice the first time through, I just didn't think anything of it). They were almost like little easter eggs. Moffat, on the other hand, is smacking you in the face with his "hints" five times an episode, screaming "ARE YOU READY FOR THIS, DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS?!??!????"

Moffat is definitely good for drama. The episodes he did during RTD's reign were some of my absolute favorites. Which is part of the reason I'm so disappointed in his writing now - I was really excited for him to be running the show. But it's like he has no idea how to handle long story arcs.

To his credit, though, I will say that the Silence are excellent and that "Asylum of the Daleks" was one of the best Doctor Who episodes I had seen in a while. EBIL SNOWMEN in the last christmas special were pretty ridiculous and I was rolling my eyes at super grumpy hermit doctor, but a lot of the parts with Clara were well done. I mean, I'm still watching the show so obviously it's not unbearably bad. But I still grumble about Moffat at the end of every episode.
Somehow I always remember you're from the Doctor Who thread on Mene when I see you on tumblr :lol:

Moar spoilersX

Yeah I agree with everything you said. EXCEPT WHAT NO ASYLUM OF THE DALEKS NOOOOO that was a prima example of Moffat's love for explosions and the whole Amy Rory break-up was ridiculous and really badly done and Amy was all passive and what how the Daleks don't know the Doctor anymore so what, are they just out of the picture they've been part of the show from the beginning plus they're still out there wanting to exterminate everyone so you can't just write them off like that whaaaaaaaaaaat
I think the Daleks are pretty silly tbh but they're such a huge part of the whole franchise I can forgive them for being silly.

How is everyone? I'm trying to muster up the energy to go food shopping.. or rather play the game of "how much necessary food can I buy with the rest of my money if I also buy a cheap box of wine?"

Miscreant74
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM

I saw Doctor Who & had to come look.
so far behind on it

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM

I'm behind too, though not terribly far (just missed the first half of season 7 + the new ones).

I did see the Christmas special though! ;D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 AM

ljos -

More S7 spoilersX

Okay, you're right, the fight with Amy and Rory was ridiculous (and even more ridiculously resolved), and the bit with the daleks forgetting the Doctor was bad. But I felt the rest of the episode was pretty cool, as far as MoffatWho goes.

I honestly wish Amy and Rory had stayed broken up. I never understood their relationship. Amy treats Rory like a pile a' poo and he just puts up with it. And of course we're never shown why or how they're good. Do they have anything in common? At all?

I'm doing kind of blechy. I need to speak with my school's mental health counselor because I suspect I've got depression. It's getting difficult for me to cope with anything lately. But on the bright side, I bought a big, cheap, nice-smelling candle today. And I'm getting a new laptop tomorrow.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 PM

i hope things look up for you Cherry

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM

I've seen quite a bit of ametuer pictures and filming of both Doctor Who and Sherlock that has piqued my curiosity quite a bit. In Trafalgar Square I was even able to watch a bit via live webcam. I rested a bit and soon the link had went viral and it took about 15 minutes to re-establish a connection. It was a pity it rotated and the most zoomed thing was people going into the restroom enterance! I really could care less who was going to or had just relieved themselves... I was more interested in other things, but the rotation was pre-set, and the people were so small I couldn't tell who the actors were but I could tell what was happening with the TARDIS, etc.

Also, there is a video report with Strax on the BBC website but it is not available in the US. Has anyone been able to capture it and re-upload it to youtube, etc?

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 04-19-2013, 01:10 AM

It's pretty hilarious what people are interested in when they can be voyeurs I used to like to log on to them in the evening so I could see what people were up to in the early morning hours of London. It's a different kind of "alive" from the busy times. I found it more poignant.

ljosberinn

Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 AM

PEOPLE HAVE YOU SEEN THIS TRAVESTY WTF IF THIS IS FOR REAL I WILL ACTUALLY I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'LL DO I'LL BE SO MAD

Obviously it could just be another of Moffat's cryptic jokes but seriously though like what you just can't do something like that :|

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 AM

Also the heavy photoshopping makes his eyes look weeeeeeeeird.

But yeah, if they reveal the Doctor's name I am 1,000% done. You don't do that. No one gave you permission to do that, Moffat. But knowing him, they're going to have this big build up to it (which began last season, so check), then the reveal is gonna be a "URHURHURHUR FOOLED YOU :B" sort of anticlimax.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-20-2013, 03:32 AM

I thought his name had already been revealed?: http://www.menewsha.com/forum/commun...post1768544234

Took me a while to find that. Found this in the process:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Biggles View Post
I was in the Navy Seals. I miss it sometimes, though it was hard to pick up things with the flippers.
What?

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 04-20-2013 at 03:45 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-20-2013, 03:58 AM

Ah yes, good jokes all.

ljosberinn

Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Biggles View Post
I thought his name had already been revealed?: http://www.menewsha.com/forum/commun...post1768544234

Took me a while to find that. Found this in the process:

What?
:rofl:

Cherry, yeah, I'm hoping it is just that. That does sound like something Moffat would do anyway (and knowing him, it's all gonna be some seriously lousy anti-climactic scene too). Still, I get the feeling he really likes to get fans angry at him by doing shit like this? And then we just get vaguely disappointed mixed with relief when we find out it was all some silly plot twist or something. Eugh.

Oh hey, if you haven't seen it yet, someone made a really awesome genderbent sixth Doctor jacket! <3

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 AM

Pigeon approval on Doctor Who. Good times.

Divacita
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Div's not sure if she liked Tonights ep of DW.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 PM

question?X

That knocking thing that happened in last Tennant season, the one that turned out to hinge on Wilf, how many times was it supposed to be?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 AM

Four.

"Hide" spoilersX

So if time goes at an incredibly faster rate in the pocket universe, with Hilla (?) barely moving in thousands of years, then how come once the Doctor jumped through the wormhole he wasn't gone for thousands and millions of years?

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-22-2013, 06:32 AM

SPOILERX

I figured he was, he was just able to manipulate it because he had people working with him, and a fully functional time machine? But then I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Ah, okay. After the time traveler was pulled back through, and the... portal was closing, there was a series of bangs, and I thought it might be a call back to the knocking. But I think it was only three bangs.

ljosberinn

Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Arg spoilers! I'm just watching it now. I'm a little bit worried cause it looks like it's gonna be super scary and I REALLY don't deal well with scary xD Still, so far, with the light on and semi-interruption from the internet, I don't think it's too scary.... yet....

Moffat is good at scary though D:

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 PM

It was a little scary, but I'd call it more tense than anything.

[hide]I thought the movement of the monster thing was really freaky and well done. The way it was kind of jumpy/jerky. But then when they did that close up of its face, it just... ruined it. It looked like a bad prop. Ugh.[hide]