candy holic!
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to candy holic!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:19 AM

I really really really hope this is the right forum for this. :0 It's certainly music-related..

The other day, I set up an old record player that my great-grandmother gave to my father, which he let me take. It plays my 12" records just fine. But today I got in some 7" that I ordered, and they won't play. When I put the needle on the record, it just slows down and stops spinning. o__o There is a tiny switch on the side to change from 33 to 45, but it does the same thing on both settings.

I've only just turned 17 so I have no experience with record players, and neither do my parents. D: Can anyone, um, tell me what might be the problem? I tried to Google it a bit, but I couldn't find anything helpful or very much related at all. ._.

promised_forever
*^_^*

Old 10-19-2007, 01:42 PM

A 7" disc should play on the 45 setting.

If it doesn't play (and from the sounds of it) I'd say you have a warped disc. Does it play the other side of the record? Does it play any of the records? How many have you tested?

candy holic!
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to candy holic!

Old 10-19-2007, 02:02 PM

Hmm. Well, I bought three 7" and I tried two of them. Additionally one side of the 12" I bought isn't working right, either. But the A side on that plays right, the bonus EP that came with it plays right, and I have two other 12" that haven't had any problems at all.

So this sounds like more of a problem with my records than my player? That's strange, since they're brand new.. Should I email the company and tell them about it?

ETA: Um, okay, it really is a problem with the records. D: I figure they were damaged during shipping. I just sent an email to the company I bought them from. Thanks for the help!