Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Sort of!
There's all sorts of things I would love to learn about, but I'm not so great at teaching myself things.
A few months ago I discovered this neat concept called Massive Open Online Course (Wiki: MOOC).

Whaaa?
There are a number of them already, but basically they're sites that offer classes for free. I've only tried one site so far so I can't speak for the others, but the one I'm with is pretty neat! Of course, not all courses under the sun will be available, but I'm having fun trying out the topics they do have and that interest me.

How's it done?
It's mostly video lectures with quizzes throughout and assignments to complete every week. There's also a forum area where you can talk to other students, but as far as I know, it's not required.

If you complete the course with a 70 or higher, you get a certificate of sorts. It's all free of course so whether you complete it or not is up to you, there's no penalty if not. Some courses have a paid counterpart where you pay and if you complete the course you get a more authentic certificate (I believe and possibly something else).

Who teaches?
Through the site I'm using, the teachers so far have all been professors at other universities. Their names are given as well as the university they're "representing" by teaching so information to find on them should be relatively easy.

So how about it?! Something you would be interested in?

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 10-26-2013, 05:55 PM

Wow. Sounds really interesting to me. O:

Rinhara
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-29-2013, 01:19 PM

My flatmate showed me a similar site called coursera.org.
I don't know if they offer certificates, but they offer free videos of college lectures. It's really interesting if you have some free time and want to study up on a topic usually outside your area of expertise.

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 AM

Definitely sounds intriguing. How long do the courses typically last?

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 12-10-2013, 01:03 PM

From what I've seen about 6-10 weeks. Depends on the course, of course (lololol).

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 PM

I want all the free education.
-uses brain as sponge-
slurrrrrrrrp.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Do eeet!
There's another website where you can take classes and stuff, but for those you have to pay. So far the prices don't seem so bad. Like $20 or so. P:
That one is called Skillshare.

waytodawn
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-25-2014, 02:54 AM

Never heard of these sites o:
I'm already a college student so idk how it would be flexible of me to watch some more lectures atm, but I will definitely keep this in mind!

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM

I'm no college student, but free

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-04-2015, 01:52 AM

That sounds amazing!! Is it like college where you get a certain amount of credit towards a degree or something? I'm thinking of trying it out while I take a break from school

Whole Milk
journal addict

Old 01-04-2015, 10:22 PM

I've used coursera before. I highly recommend it. You do get a certificate if you complete it with a certain % or higher and can get a more official certificate for some of the courses as well. I have heard some colleges will give you some credit for some courses. Many have a previous learning credit thing and I think it goes through that. But it's good to talk to an adviser at the school you're going to or want to go to.