salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 05-18-2016, 07:59 PM

How do you study?
What are your study habits like?
Do you prefer to study during the day or during the nighttime?
Do you study throughout the semester or right before exam week?
Do you prefer to study from a textbook, notes you made in class, online videos, practice questions, or something else?
Do you feel more efficient studying alone or with others?

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 06-06-2016, 01:27 AM

What's studying....?

Just joking. My studying is basically cramming. It's bad, I know. But it's the only way that I am able to retain information without forgetting it. I've tried the whole 'start-studying-two-weeks-before-the-exam-date' things and other similar studying tips I get from studyblrs I follow but the thing is with a double major, a job and a sparse social life I'm trying to keep alive, my studying is very very limited and vague at best.

I'd say nighttime. There's a lot of activity going on during the day and I end up getting distracted one way or another. At night my active mind is a little less active so I can actually get things done [smile]

Technically I already (somewhat) study throughout the semester already but I always do my finals extensive studying spree during the week before. I try aiming two weeks before but my mind is very linear so if I don't start exactly on Monday I freak out and wait until the next Monday to start

Ohhh... depends on the class. If it's a harder class I try to do all of the aforementioned options in order to get a better understanding but if it's an easier class, then my own notes usually suffice.

I'm much more efficient studying alone. College has awoken my inner social butterfly and if I study with a group of people I'm pretty sure we would all be talking about Kpop and Kdramas rather than actual exam topics ^^;;

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 AM

Aimless.Wanderer, wow that sounds like a lot! What are you majoring in? and what job are you doing? Are you staying in the residence halls at your college or staying at home?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-07-2016, 05:31 PM

I don't...
I just hope for the best. Though I have done flash cards in the past for drug names for class that's about it.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-12-2016, 03:04 PM

Whaaaaat how do you do well if you don't study? Unless you are super smart and remember and understand everything after just learning it once

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-12-2016, 03:09 PM

Because if I study I tend to lose said information.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-13-2016, 02:32 AM

that is very interesting. I thought studying was to help retain that information, not do the opposite

Emotional
Powerful

Old 07-13-2016, 07:42 PM

Well I think it's often about the way we take information in. I mean, cramming can be great for some people but for others, repetitively taking in that information does nothing but waste time when it could be used more effectively.
I do believe that when you create links in memory eg with a rhyme, or with something visual, that can increase likelihood of keeping the info.

As for my own study habits, I just do it when the mood hits me, or whenever I feel comfy enough. I love to use flashcards, really helped me with language learning especially.
I try my best to read through everything but the most success comes from applying it here and there in my daily life. Making a point to question myself at random times, or to go through a list (eg when I was trying to remember anatomy). Like, making the physical connection (pointing at different parts of my own body) and naming it all, helped make that link.
I hate making notes, and it just doesn't help me at all. Honestly, I just keep mental tabs.
Studying alone is better to me. Practice questions can be conducted on my own, with checking answers after so I don't really need another person for that.
On terms of tests though... hah... I just kind of wing it for those. Like, I'll study here and there, but for some reason I just get lazy like the few weeks coming up to it and..Well it's worked somehow lol.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 08-06-2016, 11:15 PM

ah that makes sense *nods*

2Femme
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-13-2016, 04:05 AM

I have very bad study habits - as I never really needed to study growing up. Things just usually clicked for me, so if I could remember the basics I could reason most things out myself. (Basically everything seemed like 'common sense' to me for the longest time)

Then when I had to start memorizing things, like specific reference ranges, dates, and names. Oh gosh. It was such a pain. I essentially just studied when ever I had time. I was/am a busy person so when I get a moment I would study (or procrastinate). Afternoon/evenings are best for me though.

My method has essentially evolved into me writing out notes from various sources - text books, videos, images, etc... as review. Then doing practice questions, and going over the ones I got wrong to see where the mistakes are and making sure to review that material.

For some reason, I just can't go back and use my notes again though - so I rewrite them a few times. Luckily, I think the repetition helps with the memorization of those pesky names, dates, and numbers that I just /need to know/.

At this point, the material of my degree is so familiar that studying just feels like copying from the textbook and double checking answers. I'll be going to write my final exam to get my RN licence soon so I'm happy that I've managed to make something work for me. :)