SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 02-21-2014, 04:58 AM

The tile explains all. Comments are welcome :D

Last edited by SuperZombiePotatoe; 08-25-2014 at 06:50 AM..

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 02-21-2014, 04:59 AM

~Paul the Polisher

He old them the tale of Paul the Polisher. Paul was a young lad who refused to wear shoes and dreamed of sailing on ships. When he was old enough, he went up to captain of a small ship and asked for a job. There were no jobs available, but seeing how desperate Paul was to sail, the nice Captain said that he could come aboard and earn his passage by cleaning the cabins and swabbing the deck. Paul was terribly pleased and the journey fascinated him greatly. He had worked diligently everyday for a week, but somehow, the first mate would always find a fault. The first mate, for some odd reason, always liked to make life hard for Paul. Some said it was because he thought that the Captain favoured Paul more then him.

One day, he told Paul that Paul that he wanted the deck polished until he could see his own reflection in the wood. But, no matter how hard Paul scrubbed, it just wasn't possible. The first mate was very pleased with himself, knowing that the task was virtually impossible, but Paul was a very determined lad. He asked the crew members what he could use to make the deck shine and it was only the cook who gave him some information. "Speak to the cabbage," he said. This seemed an odd idea but Paul was desperate.

In the kitchen, in s little barrel, was a large green cabbage. Paul knelt in front of the cabbage, feeling quite silly, asked it the same question he asked the crew. To his surprise, the cabbage gave him an answer. "There is ceiling wax in the stock hold," said the cabbage," That will dazzle the first mate"
More than thrilled, Paul ran to the stock hold, retrieved the ceiling wax and set to polishing the deck. Late at night, while all were asleep, Paul still polished the deck.

The next day, when the ship began to stir, all were greeted by the sight of a deck that gleamed in the sunlight like glass. The first mate was at a loss for words. There was but one problem. The wax made the deck so slippery that it was most difficult to keep one's balance and everyone spent the entire morning sliding around the deck. Everyone except Paul, who due to his lack of shoes, could walk normally. Soon, everyone became aware of this and began to follow suit, even the captain. The first mate, however, was a proud man. "I refuse to follow this polisher, even if it means my death." No sooner had he said this, did a large wave crash against the ship causing it to rock. The first mate immediately regretted his words, but it was too late. The motion of the shop sent him sliding towards the railing, over which he fell. The last they heard of the first mate was his shout of," Curse you, Paul the Polisher." And from that day onwards, that was what Paul was called.

When the ship made port, the Captain had no other choice but to relate the entire story to the King. "Yes, it was wise that you heeded the cabbage," said the King to Paul,"They say what they say for reason. The first mate was a silly man to think that a shiny deck would make him happy and perhaps the cabbage knew that." After that the King nodded his head and decreed that Paul should be the new first mate. "But what of the cabbage, Your Grace," asked Paul curiuosly. The King stroked his long beard and sighed. "Well, I think it would do very well in a stew. Don't you?"
The End.

Grapefruit Wannabe
One day I will be a grapefruit!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Now this is a funny little lesson. That cabbages are good and that karma will always come back to haunt you.
Some typos though but they didn't take away from the story. I find this unbelievably cute.

I rate this ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♡ four out of five hearts!

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 09-01-2014, 03:58 PM

First things first, thank you Grapey for the comment and for pointing out those little errors. I'll put them right... soon. But yes, thank you!

This is the prologue of a novel that I'm seriously working on. I would appreciate some feedback! I really want to know what people think. Any tips? Advice?Corrections? All is appreciated

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 09-01-2014, 04:00 PM

From the Archives of the Order
Article no. 9
By Oscar Maverick:

The Dim and Other Surrounding Worlds

The existence of world surrounding our own has been the subject of numerous debates over the course of history. It is common knowledge. In fact, the knowledge is so common that many scientists (as well as philosophers, historians and average Joes) have developed their own theories regarding the matter. Many of the above mentioned theories have come so painfully close to the tip of the knife that further theories have been developed dealing with the equally painful question of “Why has no one gotten themselves stabbed yet?!”

Of the creators of those theories, almost all of them have been correct. There is something missing. Something, whose absence, has hindered the progression of man’s conscious mind as well as his body for more years than one can count. What is lacking is a pure, yet powerful, belief. A belief of this nature, while easy to hold onto once you have it, is significantly difficult for a good many people to acquire in the first place. The creators of various other world theories usually do an excellent job of feigning belief in their own work. But, do not be deceived. While these theorists may possess a certain amount of it, it is not the right kind of belief. They are creating theories, after all. This means that they are not entirely sure if they are correct, but are happy with what they have. They would settle for second best.

In this case, the kind of belief needed is the kind that makes on clap one’s hands together fervently whenever someone denies the existence of faeries. The kind that makes a person jump from an aeroplane, thousands of feet in the air, knowing well the many ways in which things could go horribly wrong. The kind of belief that Tesla had. It is this kind of belief that will make one, with both hands, grasp the knife and plunge it deep into one’s heart. Then, and only the, will you discover the truth.

And that brings us back to our subject, which is as our and simple as the belief needed to realise it. Taking every theory, hypothesis and outright guess into account, I find no difficulty whatsoever in revealing to you the fact that worlds other than our own do exist. That being said, perhaps the answer is, indeed, simpler than the means.

Children, for varying amounts of time, are fully aware of the existence of other worlds and their inhabitants, for that matter. During this time, adults are of the opinion that children know next to nothing, are vaguely aware of things going on around them and need to be educated in the art of practical living. This opinion is both wrong and right. Children do need to be educated in certain departments, but know much more than we give them credit for. Children know and are aware of things that most adults would find very difficult to believe. One can understand this due to the pressures of adult life weighing down on them. A child’s greatest worries are when the next meal will come, when the next poop will come and when the next nap will be. They have no stress whatsoever as they are not acquainted with the norms of the world as adults are. Therefore, a visit from a young man who resembles a dragonfly in certain aspects and who came in through a hole in the air could very well be normal. And, as I said before, it is normal to a child… for a time.

For soon, they must venture out into society. They must learn how to calculate, concentrate and participate. They must learn good manners, good morals and good table etiquette. They are taught that one day they will need a job, that they might start a family and that while a job can be difficult it is necessary in order to support a family. They are taught that families consist of one or more demanding children and that children say the darndest things about anything and anything up to and including seeing strange men with wings. Such utterances are not practical, but children need to be educated about practical life, do they not?
Thus, with all that to learn and perfect, the memory of what one sees with one’s own eyes becomes quite difficult to hold onto, especially when practicality begins to overcome belief. Occasionally a person’s belief is strong enough to endure the weight of life and living. It is these lucky few who are aware of the truth for their entire lives. Usually, these are people who shake their head in the direction of those persistent theorists.

It is assumed that other worlds surround us as closely as petals surround a receptacle. While this comparison is effective, it is not correct. The positions of and distances between worlds is better compared positions and distances between the planets in our own solar system. With one world in the centre, the rest are scattered about around it in an indistinct uniformity that only those of the highest intellectual capacity are able to comprehend. It is also these highly intellectual beings who know the precise amount of worlds in existence and can name them as easily as the days of the week. Unfortunately, none of these beings reside on Earth. Over the years, various methods have been utilised in order to make contact with them. No responses have been received thus far.

Last edited by SuperZombiePotatoe; 09-03-2014 at 11:17 AM..

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Continuation

Regardless, the dutiful members of the Order have persevered throughout history to procure whatever information they can. While unable to collect information regarding all the worlds in existence, we have been successful in proving their existence, gathering valuable and fascinating information relating to the make-up of some of them and establishing contact with the inhabitants of the worlds closest to our own. The numerous meetings with “The Strangers”, as we have collectively dubbed these other-worldly inhabitants, were intense to say the least. But, they have provided us with further knowledge which would have been wholly impossible for us to acquire on our own, at least not for a few years or perhaps centuries, if the study is continued for that long.

From the collective research of the Order, including information acquired from The Strangers, it has been established that two worlds (polar opposites to each other) form a sort of systemic boundary, beyond which no one, living or non-living, has ventured. These worlds are Heaven and Hell.

It is a widely accepted truth that in order to travel to either of these worlds, one must first experience the greatest of traumas, also known as Death. Due to the fact that 99.9% of people do not recover from this trauma, our knowledge of heaven and hell is limited to the scriptures of numerous religions, cultures and sects, which all vary greatly, but remain constant in the fact that Heaven is always a place of rest and pleasure while Hell is one of eternal torment. The accounts recorded from people who claim to have died, visit Heaven (and Hell occasionally) and have come back to life cannot be seen as entirely factual as no one has yet been able to provide iron proof of their experiences. Nevertheless, the mere fact that both of these worlds have been referenced in countless texts and works of art dating back to the Anglo-Saxan period and further allows their existence to remain undisputed by the Order. For a deeper examination of Heaven and Hell I refer you to my tenth article as well as such scriptures as the Bible, the Quran, the Torah, etc.

Another world whose existence we are aware of is known as Brerland. This world is one of those furthest away from our own and is arguably one of the most difficult for human beings to physically travel too. Such a visit, if attempted, would be extremely risky as it is quite possible that our bodies and minds, for that matter, would not be able to withstand the journey.

In the early 90’s, a path, threshold and doorway into Brerland was discovered by a group of our researchers. It was the second entrance discovered in the 20th century and our technology had advanced significantly since the first discovery in 1922. An automated robot was equipped with a camera, among other things, and was sent along the path, so as to make us aware of certain aspects of the environment and terrain which would be important for us to be aware of before a volunteer was sent, as is protocol in these instances. The lump of metal which returned after the standard 15 minutes resembled anything but it’s former self. Whether it was the journey to and from or in Brerland that had the noted effect on the robot is still unknown to us, although it is assumed to be the journey in Brerland for obvious reasons.

Despite all that, the study was not unsuccessful. A small measure of film was able to be salvaged from the wreck. After careful review, certain key factors regarding Brerland were made clear. The most shocking observations and perhaps one of the most important discoveries made in the complete history the Order, was that the automated robot did not in fact spend 15 minutes in Brerland, but about 12.5 hours! This alone cemented the fact that a physical journey made by a human being could be potentially dangerous. A mere hour in Brerland could drastically alter the fundamental laws of time and aging in our world!

The other most notable discovery was that which christened this strange, distant world (Brerland had remained nameless until this study). Although slightly distorted and blurred, the video taken allowed us to form an outline of Brerland’s terrain, which turned out to be far from what we had hoped for. Brere is the Old English form of the word briar, which refers to a thorny plant. This seemed the most accurate description for what we saw on the film. Thorny, unkempt, rough and twisted, Brerland seemed hardly habitable let alone able to be physically explored. At about 12.5 hours, a strange screech was suddenly heard and the video cut off. This only added iron to the cement, With clear evidence of the dangers one would be subject to, all plans to send a volunteer into Brerland were set aside and were replaced with more practical pursuits, namely what precautions would need to be taken in order to make a journey possible? It seem that practicality is quite necessary after all.

Grapefruit Wannabe
One day I will be a grapefruit!

Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 AM

Article no. 9
By Oscar Maverick:

This felt very deep and thoughtful. I enjoyed all the imagery.

I especially loved this.
Quote:
Many of the above mentioned theories have come so painfully close to the tip of the knife that further theories have been developed dealing with the equally painful question of “Why has no one gotten themselves stabbed yet?!”
And how you kept it going.
Quote:
The kind of belief that Tesla had. It is this kind of belief that will make one, with both hands, grasp the knife and plunge it deep into one’s heart.
I like the fact you mixed this with reality. With the many theories about other dementions/planets/worlds.
It feels like the writer is a bit of a theorist him self. I wonder why he is writing this. Leaves me asking for more information. Has he himself seen something? Does he remember seeing something in his childhood?

Okay now I'm on to reading part II

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapefruit Wannabe View Post
Article no. 9
By Oscar Maverick:

This felt very deep and thoughtful. I enjoyed all the imagery.

I especially loved this.

And how you kept it going.

I like the fact you mixed this with reality. With the many theories about other dementions/planets/worlds.
It feels like the writer is a bit of a theorist him self. I wonder why he is writing this. Leaves me asking for more information. Has he himself seen something? Does he remember seeing something in his childhood?

Okay now I'm on to reading part II
Thank you once again for the review, Grapey

I'm quite fond of that imagery as well.
Mixing it with reality allows me to keep it familiar. in a way, it's easier to write
Oscar is a kind of researcher. Actually, he's developing more and more as I write. Who knows how he'll turn out in the end!

And now for the next installment!

Further Continuation

Now, after having discussed world’s seemingly out of the reach of human hands, I feel it necessary to talk briefly about a world neighbouring our own. In fact, the two worlds are so close to each other that they are separated by no more than a finger’s width. This is the Realm of Faerie and it is inhabited by a mystical and captivating people known as Fae or the Fair Folk, although not all of them are particularly fair to look at.

Over the years, the Order has maintained a healthy correspondence with the Fair Folk, many of which have been more than happy to share their world with us. Others, more specifically the members of the Seelie Court, have been no more than tolerant of our persistent questioning, but have been quite helpful in our research, nonetheless. The honour of their help, however, does not come without a price. The set rule among the Fair Folk is that one must never accept any gift offered unless one has a gift of equal value to give in return. While this usually pertains to material gifts, those privileged Fae feel the need to mould the rule to suit their own whims and fancies. They demand recompense for the smallest of favours done by them. Often there is nothing that a person can do or offer that is enough to appease the Court and the receiver has no choice but to give up the one thing that every being holds dear: freedom.

That being said, the common Fair Folk are not entirely free, as their system of government is a monarchy. Any and all laws passed or courses of action taken are decided upon by the Seelie court which is ultimately presided over the Queen of Faerie, Titania, and her consort, King Oberon. During one of the very first of our expeditions into Faerie, after a safe and full proof method of travel between our two worlds had been established, we felt it necessary to announce our presence to the Court as a sign of respect and admiration. We did not present them with for fear of the gesture being misinterpreted as imposition. The Fair Folk are deeply rooted in their ways and customs, thus any gift given by us would demand a gift in return and who are we to demand anything of Royalty?

After a lengthy explanation of the Order’s purpose was given to the luminous Monarchs, who seemed to be not even half as fascinated with us as we were with them, we were given leave to explore the realm so long as we caused no harm to anyone or anything. The request was reasonable and we took full advantage of the liberties given to us. It did not occur to us how truly careful we needed to be until much later in our expedition.

Upon examination of the realm itself we found many similarities between it’s terrain and our own. In fact, all the plants found in Faerie can be found on Earth, apart from a few other specimens. Among the flora we discovered many species of mushroom, some familiar and others entirely to us. While we did find these strange fungi fascinating, their existence did not amaze us. We knew beforehand that mushrooms are not indigenous to earth. It is our belief that mushrooms were gifted to mankind by the Fair Folk in the early days of our world as a token of peace and goodwill. It is also believed that the Fair Folk were gifted the art of metalworking in return.

A botanist by the name of Prof. Rudolf Schmidt became fixated with these strange plants and made it his task to study them and document his findings, as well as collect a few samples to take back home for further examination. This would seem a near harmless act to any normal person. We, his colleagues and comrades, did see it in such a light, as sampling and examination is something we have grown accustomed to. The Fair Folk did not see it in the same light, however. Only after the deed had been done did we realise the complexity of the leave given to us. We were allowed to look and touch only. Any sampling done was seen as destruction of the environment and, due to the fact that all of Faerie belonged to the King and Queen, anything taken by us was to be regarded as stolen property. By order of Queen Titania, the guilty party was to be judged accordingly. The Fairest of the Fair is nothing if not cunning.

Though we argued Prof. Schmidt’s case to the best of our abilities, we had no choice but to submit to the will of the Queen (who I assume had the entire situation planned out from the moment we made our presence known). She resolved to view the plant samples as gifts to us so long as we could furnish her with a suitable gift of our own, which was virtually impossible. What use would the Queen of the Fae have for the bits and bobs we had brought with us? The only other option, besides that which was obvious, was imprisonment in Faerie for the lifetime of a Fae, the length of which exceeds ours by a good few decades. Prof. Schmidt would not see us all detained for his own forwardness, so the offer of a gift was taken and Rudolf Schmidt agreed to spend the rest of his life in faerie serving the Queen. We mourn the loss of an excellent botanist and researcher to this day. We do not, however, mourn the loss of a friend as our correspondences have allowed us to keep in contact with him over the years, by the Queen’s leave, of course.

So you see, although it has been established that the Realm of Faerie is a predominantly peaceful world (although not entirely peaceful, as explained in my seventh article The People of Faerie: An examination of the Seelie and Unseelie courts) that is on good terms with our own, it does not mean that one can be wholly trusting when traversing the realm or making any dealings with the inhabitants.

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 09-10-2014, 04:43 PM

Final Continuation

Inspiration for the Dim

And now, having journeyed through and among a few of the peripheral worlds, we come to our destination. It is the midpoint of the worlds, the very core of our multiverse, the Dim.

This unfathomable world has been the subject of countless studies and investigations done by countless members of the Order for countless years and yet, with all the information we have collected on the Dim, we still do not full understand it. There are few alive who do. One fact, upon which every scholar of the Order agrees, is that no one who enters this world comes out the same as they were before.

When examinations of the Dim began, towards the beginning of the 50’s when technology was not at all advanced, a research party was sent into the Dim. When they did not return for quite some time a second party was sent in to search for them. And then a third and finally a fourth. Of the four parties sent in, only two members of the second party, Dr. Michael O’Leary and Mr. Elliot Lancaster, returned. They were unsuccessful in their search for the first party, claimed to have been separated from their own and were completely unaware of the existence of the third and fourth parties. Upon medical examination, the men were proven to be fairly healthy and to have suffered no physical trauma. However, their time in the Dim had severely altered them psychologically and also in other ways known only to them.
When questioned, Mr. Lancaster hesitant and evasive and was unwilling to give specific details of his personal experiences, but he was able to give us a detailed description of the environment and general atmosphere. When one first enters the Dim one is greeted by an endless stretch of grey earth, entirely flat and peppered with small rocks and pebbles. All the plant life, from the sparse bushes to the scrawny trees possessed the same grey hue as the ground. At first, Mr. Lancaster’s descriptions of the physical states of the dreary flora were doubted and viewed as exaggerations. They have so far been confirmed by certain members of the Fae community who were, also, unfortunate enough to have visited the central world.

According to all the accounts the plant life of the Dim possesses no sign of being either alive or dead. To be more specific, they flicker somewhere in between. Their leaves are either completely dry or completely limp. The roots are strong enough to keep the trees anchored to the ground, but any intense pressure experienced by the trees will cause them to be uprooted. Alternately, any slight pressure exerted on the trunks will cause the bark to fall away. The fruit that they bare never make it to the stage of being ripe and the flowers of every single tree or shrub are white. They do not need to be colourful as there are no birds or insects to attract. The fruit does not need to ripen as there are people one around to eat them. There are, however, other things wandering the Dim.

Mr Lancaster and Dr O’Leary, as well as the aforementioned Fae, claimed that the Dim was inhabited. The bleak terrain and lack of suitable food and water sources caused us to, once again, doubt this claim. This doubt was immediately thrown aside after these beings were described to us. According to Mr Lancaster, it was very difficult to discern the physical attributes of these Strangers, as they were so called. This was mainly due to the fact that had none that were constant or specific. They were described a mixture of solid and liquid, of varying heights and with no distinct shape. Their movements proved to be the most difficult to understand. At times, the Strangers were observed to remain stationary for hours on end. At other times, they were seen to float/swim/glide/run (a suitable word has yet to be decided on) at inhuman speeds. And, in the periods between being stationary and movement, they would make occasional, fitful gestures. There seemed to be no visible purpose to the gestures. They moved for the sake of moving and stood for the sake of standing and made no noticeable noises. That is, not until the search parties had been noticed.
Mr Lancaster claimed their first direct encounter with the Strangers to be the incident that caused their separation from their group. As Mr Lancaster was hesitant to give full details of the assumed attack, we were left to make our own conclusions regarding it’s nature. Apparently, after observing the Strangers from a distance for some time, Dr O’Leary attempted to make contact with them, despite the protests of his colleagues. Their worries proved to be correct. When the group was noticed the Strangers charged, hissing, growling and groaning as they came. Thus ends the account of Mr Lancaster, as e would tell us no more except that he had blacked out and awoke alone with Dr O’Leary.

From all that he told us and after studying certain texts borrowed from Faerie I have developed the following hypothesis. The Strangers, who are usually dazed in their doings, were attracted to the research parties for the sole reason that they were alive. Nothing in the Dim is truly alive or truly dead. Everything, not only the plants, flickers between living and dying. Now, having come across beings so full of life, the Strangers became overcome with a kind of curiosity about or lust for that life. They desired to either be near it and it’s sources or to possess it by whatever means necessary. Due to our lack of information this hypothesis has not been confirmed and remains incomplete.

Dr O’Leary’s testimony differed from Mr Lancaster’s in many ways. For one Dr O’Leary said nothing of what he saw or encountered and did not elaborate on anything said by Mr Lancaster. On that subject, he said no more than “Yes” when asked about the validity of certain aspects of Mr Lancaster’s testimony. But, that being said, Dr O’Leary’s testimony is nothing less than captivating and, in a way, unnerving.
When a new member is to be inducted into the Order, before they can begin research of their own, it compulsory for them to read the notes, research papers and articles o written by senior members. It is also compulsory for them to read the testimonies of members of certain research groups. Dr O’Leary’s testimony is the one of the first they are made to read. This, thus, proves that his was an account that encompassed part of essence of the Dim and gives us a look into the mind of one whom it has had a great effect on. Here is an extract from said testimony:

“What I felt when I entered confused me. What I feel at this moment, now that I am out, terrifies me, because the confusion is gone and I finally understand. For a while, in that place, I felt everything, every emotion I had ever felt. And then, in an instant, nothing at all At the very moment my glass began to overflow it was empty. And then overflowing again and empty again. It was like that for a very long time. But, who am I to say for certain how long it was? Time was... confusing. Everything was confusing, but I understand now. I wish that I didn’t though. I wish that I had never gone in the first place. It was a foolish notion, exploring the beyond. Too eager. I wish…

The more we walked, the closer we got to it and the more confused I became .Now that it is no more I am afraid, so very afraid of… everything and nothing. That is what that place is. It is everything and nothing. It is both hot and cold. At one point I was hungry, but in the second I looked at those damned grey fruit I was full and painfully so. Ever thirsty, every quenched. There was both darkness and light. It was dim.

There was a sound, I remember a sound. So deafening. Sometimes I would strain to hear it. Even now, I still find myself straining. Every day in that place was a strain, to me and to the others. But, there were no days, no nights and the others are gone. They’re still wandering around that place, getting ever closer to it but never quite reaching. The ache was perpetual. They are probably feeling what I was feeling. Everything and nothing. Now I am back to feeling one thing at a time and this feeling that I have, this lingering fear, this shadow peering over my shoulder… it never leaves me. How I hate it.”

I now find myself at a loss. Dr O’Leary’s testimony, while able to encompass a small part of what the Dim is, still baffles our scholars, and raises a number of questions. How is it possible for one to feel every emotion possible and then, in the very next moment, nothing? Not even the greatest professors of psychology can give a clear answer to this. What exactly are these Strangers? As fascinating and mysterious as the Fair Folk may be, we can still define what they are and describe them clearly by looking at them. Mr Lancaster was able to describe what he saw, yes, but could such a being be possible? What was the “it” that Dr O’Leary referred to in his testimony? Was it a person/being or a place in the Dim? What was the cause of the strange sound he claimed to have heard and why did Mr Lancaster make no mention of it? How did the plants exist with no water or sunlight? How were they even possible?

It pains me to admit it, but I fear that the answers lie in the very place we have grown so weary of. Since the four expeditions of the 50’s no further research parties have been sent and the Order has reached a decision regarding the Dim. We know enough and there is nothing to be gained from the Dim. A study of the environment could clarify many things, but said environment is inhabited by clearly hostile beings and the safety of our members should come before everything. For now, we have enough answer.

But, despite the rulings and warnings of my fellows and superiors, I still find myself yearning for more answers. I have a simple yet powerful belief that there is something deep within the Dim that I need to understand. It was kindled back when I was a new member, when I first read Dr O’Leary’s testimony. It is a belief strong enough to make me want to enter the Dim myself and seek out whatever “it” is. But, not just yet. I have learned from the mistakes of those who went before me. Decisions and impulses fuelled by intense desires and beliefs can be destructive if made or acted upon too soon. This does not, however, mean that one must throw them away. One must merely set them aside and, in the meanwhile, sharpen one’s knife, readying oneself for the plunge.

~~~

This is the last article written by Oscar Maverick. In 2004, six months after this article was written, he and a group of researchers entered the Dim in the hopes of adding to the knowledge acquired by the four original parties. No word has been heard of them since.

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 10-17-2014, 06:19 AM

Posting Chapter one!
(Even though I seriously think it needs sooooo much editing )

Four friends and an acquaintance

One afternoon, after having completed her homework and while engaged in the riveting activity of sharpening and re-sharpening her pencils until they resembled each other precisely, Avery decided that she agreed with her mother. This was not a usual occurrence-Avery and her mother shared entirely different views on socialising and such- and the revelation made her pause in her task to think about it carefully.

It was true that she spent most of her time around bustling about the house, working on her homework or improving on her drawings, but that did not mean that she was entirely unsociable. She made an effort to participate in her classes, knew the names of her school mates and knew some of them well enough to call acquaintances. She would even wave at them when she ran into them at the mall and received waves, even if they were somewhat awkward, in return. Her mother knew about her effort, because she had witnessed a few of them first hand, but, despite all of that, Avery had had to endure the same conversation almost every Friday.

It would begin with her mother asking her about her week at school. It was better than giving details each day, Avery thought, because this way she could just summarise her experiences and highlight her favourite parts. Art class was always a highlight. Avery would usually just talk about the work she had done, but sometimes, if she was feeling a little bit braver than normal, she would show her work to her mother and explain how and where she had improved. Her mother enjoyed those moments. You could see it in the wideness of her smile. It was that smile that made Avery try her hardest to share every special thing with her mother, even if it did make her nervous. English was another highlight for Avery, because out of all of her classes it was the easiest to participate in. Her English teacher, Mr Rumi, was genuinely interested in his subject and even more interested in what his student had to say. His encouragement and enthusiasm was difficult to ignore, even when Avery tried to. By this point she had all but given up trying to be calm in those classes. It clearly wasn’t necessary.

Once Avery had finished, her mother would take some time to talk about her week and would finally ask Avery what she had planned for the weekend. It was always the same answer: homework, drawing and “me time”. Her mother would always reply that she thought that Avery had had enough “me enough” to which would quip that they could some spend some “me and you time”. The conversation was a downhill roll from there and not once did Avery’s mother succeed in convincing her that some time with other people of her own age would be good for her. Not until now, that is.

Avery had feeling that this sudden submission to her mother’s will had something to do with the amount and frequency of her and her mother’s discussions. They were discussions and not arguments, because while both of them were convinced that they were entirely correct in their thinking, neither tried to force their ways onto the other. Avery respected her mother’s wants and tried her best to be social, but still kept people an arm’s length away. Her mother understood why Avery preferred to have her as her only close friend, but still maintained that at least one other person to talk to would make life easier for her. Day to day life was not easy for Avery and she knew it.

Avery preferred keeping her problems to herself. Having a friend meant sharing yourself with another person. They become familiar with your habits, your mannerisms and even your pet peeves. Avery herself found it difficult to deal with her habits and she certainly didn’t want anyone else, even her mother, at times, to have to bare them.

And yet she found herself searching for the number of the girl who sat next to her in social studies. Even if the conversations with her mother had finally sunk in, Avery wondered why her change of mind was so sudden. Surely it would have been a gradual build up to an ultimate realisation. Surely there should have been some kind of thought process behind it. There was none that Avery could think of and she finally picked up her phone and gave into this strange compulsion.