Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 AM

The convenience stores sell fried chicken in Japan? That's hilarious! But then again I've heard of stores in Thailand that sell mashed potatoes and gravy from a dispenser and other things from Asian convenience stores so I guess it's not really that odd.

It's definitely because of the election that people are bringing up politics and religion so much. It's hard going on my Facebook and reading my wall and seeing just how many of my friends disagree with my beliefs and opinions, and while I can respect their beliefs, I find myself fighting not to start arguing with them because they make me mad. And I try to stay very updated in what's going on with the government, because I want to exercise my right to be informed on the issues, so when I get friends who see one little article and take it out of context or don't know the background behind it, it makes me even more mad.

I've never lived in a small town. The smallest town I've ever lived in is my current town, which has 119,000 people living in it as of July 2011. I live in a suburb of a major metropolitan city. It's just weird to be all small town and know everyone and be connected to the community in the middle of nowhere. My uncle's closest neighbor lives more than a mile down the street from his house, whereas I have neighbors who have houses twenty feet away from mine. It's just weird.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Really? XD I guess I'm just used to it now. Fried chicken is really popular, especially stuff called "karaage" But I was really surprised that they sell corn dogs at convenience stores (and they call them "American dogs". ) You can find all sorts of foods at convenience stores so I visit them a lot.

Ugh, yeah. This is very true. Not even just politics, any bad news article that I see people get worked up over frustrates me. Science and health articles do that all the time. First there's usually a legitimate study that shows there might be a small chance of X, then suddenly a popular news site publishes an article deceptively rewording the results, if it properly mentions the study at all. The headline reads "Scientists find proof of X! Possible cure for cancer!!" =/ I try to be critical of news articles and sources before I jump to conclusions, but even reputable news outlets resort to bad tactics sometimes.

Well, I guess I should rephrase that. My home "town" does qualify as a city (there's about 20,000 people living there now) but there were only about 6,000 in the old city limits when I first moved there almost 20 years ago. It's pretty near one of the larger cities in Washington state, so I can't say I grew in the middle of nowhere. Still, it's small enough that I would often run into people I knew at my local supermarket.

Now, I live in a city of 1 million people, which has definitely been a change of pace. But Sendai is pretty green and not terribly crowded, so it's been easier to adjust than I thought it would be. Keep in mind Seattle only has a population of about 500,000 people, so I'm kind of surprised. But the city is pretty spread out, with only the central downtown area being congested. Interestingly, I run into people I know a lot here too. Size doesn't seem to matter. Is that the same for where you live?

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Fried Chicken

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-25-2012, 05:11 PM

i miss the pizza in the grocery stores, Ferra.
i make mine the way i liked it in Japan.
with corn, potato and onions!
people think i'm odd.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 PM

We have sweet potato pizza in Korea. There are a few pizza shops in Koreatown and in LA that sell sweet potato pizza. I highly recommend it.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Sweet potato pizza sounds interesting

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 09-25-2012, 10:52 PM

I'm one of those rare people who don't like pizza that much. I'll eat it, but I rarely crave it or choose to order it by choice. Although I got to be pretty fond of Papa Murphey's take-and-bake when I was in college since it was super close to my house and a nice lazy/filling meal for my brother and I.

I don't mind the crazy toppings in Japan as long as they don't add seafood. Cheese and fish isn't my favorite combo. But you're right, Hummy, I'm surprised how much I like corn as a topping. It's good with tuna salad too.

But ignoring what I said above, I'd like to try some of that sweet potato pizza.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-25-2012, 10:59 PM

I don't like pizza that much either. If I'm going to eat it, it needs to be homemade pizza. Frozen pizzas make me ill, I'm not sure why. And I'm not trying to be dramatic, I mean whenever I eat them, I start to feel sick. x_x

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 AM

@Cherry: That's not too surprising. Frozen pizzas don't taste like the real thing and I'm betting there's a bunch of stuff added to preserve them properly.

And here's where I'm weird again. There's actually one kind of pizza that I've always liked, and it's that super cheap, super thin frozen kind that's basically cardboard with cheese and tomato sauce on top. Maybe it's nostalgia or because it doesn't taste like real pizza, but I find it yummy. I can't stand pepperoni on pizza though - that has never changed.

Seiki Nova

Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM

First of all, sweet potatoes are amazing, so that sweet potato pizza looks phenomenal! And secondly, I can put corn in a plethora of things that I love. I really like mixing corn with my mashed potatoes or into spaghetti.

Ferra, sometimes you run in to people while you're out and about in my town but not as often as you would think considering the town's size and population. The city is basically spread out across a 5-10 square mile area and contains about 120,000 people, but there aren't a lot of places to go so a lot of people end up going further into Phoenix for stuff. We just had a Stein Mart open this past week and everyone has been there. I haven't gone in yet but I feel like I would probably run in to someone there because it's so new that everyone is curious.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, new businesses, special events, or major shopping areas seem to be the places you run into people the most.

My city has one main central shopping area, so if I go there on a weekend it's quite likely I'll run into someone I know, or be seen by a student/coworker and hear about it later. The weirdest chance encounters I experienced were when I was on my way to Thailand two years ago. While in transit, I ran into 5 different groups of people I knew in the airport, at a rest stop, and on the airplane, not realizing that our travel plans overlapped a little bit. (No one else was headed to the same destination, but we all were traveling around the same time.)

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM

I followed the food and i found sweet potato pizza

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Cora loves pizza, but she doesn't eat frozen pizza because she doesn't eat things with perservatives in them.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM

homemade pizza is the best!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Yus it is. I should do that one of these days....

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM

i should, too.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Its been a long time for me o.0

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 09-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachi View Post
I followed the food and i found sweet potato pizza
Roachi has a good sense of smell even in Mene!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Roachi can smell words.

Thats talented.

Seiki Nova

Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 PM

I feel like that should go on a tombstone. Or in a signature at least xP

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM

Lols xP

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM

Running into people is kind of terrible. It's almost never someone you'd actually like to visit with, it's usually someone you haven't seen in years and years, and it's just kind of awkward. Or at least that's how it is for me.

I had this weird thing going for a while... or rather, my mom did. I usually went grocery shopping with my mom, but it seemed like almost every time she went without me, she'd run into this guy I used to know, who I actually would like to see. I've never once run into him myself, but almost every time my mom went out without me, there he was. And now he's at college out of state, so I'll probably never see him again. That was weird! Although, one time I went to a restaurant and was seated in the booth right behind that guy's brother, who I do not particularly like. I didn't even notice him, but I was told afterwards that he did notice me, looked a bit startled when he saw me, and left quickly after. That's me, you know, chasing people out of restaurants. This Applebee's aint big enough fer the two of us. I also ran into their mother at a farmer's market last year. Very nice lady, it was nice seeing her. Don't know why this family pops up where we are so much!

On the subject of sweet potatoes, have you ever tried sweet potato chips? Delicious.

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 09-27-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Hatake Ayumi
College Student

Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 PM

... /needs to post more/
I want the EI's!! Hi Seiki!!!

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 AM

@Cherry: Hmm, often I run into people I'd like to see, but you're right that it can be awkward. If I want to talk, they're usually busy. Or maybe they want to join me but I already have plans. But those magic days where you run into someone and you end up having a great time are some of the best, probably because they're not expected.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 AM

those are grreat days, Ferra.
i love surprises like that.