Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 10-16-2018, 11:50 PM

Banners by Car'a'carn. Thanks!

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 10-26-2018 at 06:23 PM..

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-16-2018, 11:51 PM

One of the most iconic elements of these 20th century Gothic novels are their covers: these usually feature a young woman fleeing a stately home in which only one (1) window is illuminated. Arguably not very creative. But you? You are. The idea of this writing contest is for you to use these covers as a prompt to get your creative juices flowing. A challenge perhaps, but one I'm sure you are up to. Interested? Read on...

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 10-25-2018 at 01:41 AM..

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-16-2018, 11:51 PM

*Please Follow the TOS and the Site Rules

*No plagiarizing, obvs.

*You are welcome to use your OCs, but please start with the prompt as your source on inspiration, and work from there. Please do not utilize your own previous writing in this contest, instead create something from scratch.

*Choose one of the prompts provided in post #6 to craft your writing

*Create a Title, Front cover blurb, and 2 to 3 paragraphs of a few sentences each describing the general plot points and/or protagonist profile like those you find on the back cover of your typical novel.

*Reviews like those you sometimes find on back covers are fine to include if you want, but aren't necessary and shouldn't be considered as part of the back cover description requirements.

*Use the form provided in post #7 to submit your entry

*You have until the end of the event to submit your entries

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 10-25-2018 at 01:35 AM..

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-16-2018, 11:52 PM

First Place :
Stairs of Royalty + 3k gold

Second Place:
Exquisite Lair + 1k gold

Third Place:
5k gold

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 10-26-2018 at 05:08 AM..

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-16-2018, 11:52 PM

Title:
Quote:
Murmuring Ever
Front Cover Blurb:
Quote:
The haunting story of a love that survived death
Back Cover Description:
Quote:
When her family moved to New England, young Sandy resigned herself to a quiet lonely life. Then the strange, shy Joshua appeared, as if from no where.

Sometimes he seemed more real than life itself, other times she swore he was only a figment of her powerful imagination.

But whoever he was -- whatever he was -- Joshua was the key to a terrifying legend that had haunted the town since the Revolutionary War. She trusted him with all her heart, but behind his boyish charm, she saw the shadow of an evil so pervasive that it threatened her sanity -- and her very life

Last edited by Car'a'Carn; 10-27-2018 at 06:48 AM..

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-19-2018, 03:53 AM

Prompt #1:

Prompt #2

Prompt #3

Prompt #4

Prompt #5

Prompt # 6

Prompt #7

Prompt # 8

Prompt #9

Prompt #10

Last edited by Car'a'Carn; 10-27-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-24-2018, 11:51 PM

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SandyBrown"][FONT="Centurygothic"]Prompt Attendance[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[FONT="Centurygothic"]Username:[/FONT]
[FONT="Centurygothic"]Prompt Number:[/FONT]
[FONT="Centurygothic"]Title:[/FONT]
[FONT="Centurygothic"]Front Cover Blurb:[/FONT]
[FONT="Centurygothic"]Back Cover Description:[/FONT]
[FONT="Centurygothic"]Notes (optional):[/FONT]

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 10-26-2018 at 05:22 AM..

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-24-2018, 11:51 PM

ShadamiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadami View Post
Prompt Attendance
Username:shadami
Prompt Number:1
Title: Raven Bluff's Spirit
Front Cover Blurb:Sometimes they see her, sometimes only the results.
Back Cover Description:The rumors tell of a beautiful woman who was thrown from the cliffs into the sea on her wedding day by her husband to be. He had grown jealous of the attention she received for her beauty and thought that she would leave him. In a fit of rage as they argued and she denied all his accusations he pushed her and the cliff gave away. She was gone

Then strange things began happening all over his Manor. He'd find the tables set for two in the morning. Vases would have fresh flowers in them and more would appear every day. Finally one day he saw her staring at him sadly in a mirror, stricken with grief he fled his own Manor and his riches.

Years later he has died of old age, but the rumors tell of her spirit still residing in the castle, waiting for her husband to return. A young man that is a descendant has just discovered his heritage and is moving in to the Raven's Bluff Manor to try to bring it back to life. What will happen when he encounters her ghost?
Notes (optional):

WoodlandnymphX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandnymph View Post
Prompt Attendance
Username: Woodlandnypmh
Prompt Number:4
Title:
Lady Isabeth's Portrait of Tears
Front Cover Blurb:
"Her lust for answers wasn't her only sin."
Back Cover Description:
Lady Isabeth came to her uncle’s holding, Moor Manor on a cold and wet winter day. That same day, the mysterious and dashing Lord Titleroil arrived in blood stained clothes.

Mysterious cries in the attic, the tormented beauty of Titleroil… Lady Isabeth’s entire naive existence was rocked.

It wasn’t until she came upon the crying portrait, that she started to find answers. Would she let in Titleroil to her maiden-world? Or the Manor drive her to madness?

Notes (optional):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandnymph View Post

[/COLOR]Prompt Attendance
Username: Woodlandnymph
Prompt Number:
Title:
Brokeback Mountie
Front Cover Blurb:
Passions run hot when maple runs thick
Back Cover Description:
Margaux knew their love was forbidden. She was a maiden who grew up on a Vermont yak farm and he was a hot blooded Canadian Mountie. They were worlds apart.

But unknown to her family, she was planning to run off and over the border to forbidden Moose Country. Underneath her red, white, and blue exterior, her colors ran maple leaf.

Secret trysts, Family pride, heart ache, and hockey. This tale of woe comes in the form a crimson uniform.

“A confusing joy…” ~ Justin Theroux
Notes (optional):
This is more of a dime store romance gothic than a traditional Romantic Gothic. Complete with bad editing and more beavers (and moose) than you know what to do with.

Quote:
Prompt Attendance
Username:Woodlandnypmh
Prompt Number: 10
Title:
Help! I've Fallen in this Spooky Cemetery!
Front Cover Blurb:
I can't get up, I think I twisted my ankle.
Back Cover Description:
Anyone? Can you hear me? I tripped and twisted my ankle on a broken headstone. It’s starting to turn purple and it’s like, three times its size…

Hello?

When I fell, I flung my phone. I have no idea where it went, but I think I heard the screen shatter. HELP! Someone? Isn’t there like...a caretaker anywhere?

I keep hearing some owl hooting. This place is really creeping me out. Why did I ever think a lantern lit stroll at midnight would be a good idea? Never listening to anything they suggest in that stupid ‘day trip blog’ again!

Notes (optional):

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast one, I swear. I just see this image and think of those old Life Alert commercials.

Car'a'CarnX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'a'Carn View Post
Prompt Attendance
Username: Car'a'Carn
Prompt Number: Prompt #3
Title: Death At Deogol Manor
Front Cover Blurb: Seduction, secrets, affairs, and a burning desire to kill. What awaits Adamina at Deogol Manor?
Back Cover Description:
Her husband dead and mother long gone, Adamina has nowhere else to turn but her wicked Aunt Dabria. Moving in to her secluded mansion by the sea, it's not long before the attentions of Alastair, Dabria's husband, turn to the warm, lively Adamina. Comforting the bereaved young woman quickly sparks Dabria's vicious anger and jealous ire.

Mysterious accidents follow Adaminia around the Mansion as she delves deeper into it's secrets, narrowly escaping death each time. Alastair somehow comes to her rescue in the nick of time. That is until tragedy strikes Alastair himself.

Jealousy, long dark halls and mysterious locked rooms. Dabria is hiding secrets in her manor. With Alastair out of the picture, Adamina must struggle to survive while racing against time to discover the secrets of Aunt Dabria and Deogol Manor
Notes (optional):
I had fun with the names XD Aunt Dabria's name means death. Adamina means of red earth cause you know, she's a read head. Alastair's name means guardian. Afterall, he's trying to protect Adamina from his horrid wife. Just to be clear here, Dabria is Adamina's blood relative, not Alastair XD OH! And Deogol means secrets in old english! At least.. this is what google tells me... It could be lying to me. About everything.
Click on thumbnail for full view

FacadeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facade View Post

Prompt Attendance
Username: Facade
Prompt Number: 6(66)
Title: Don't Wake Mama From Her Nap Again
Front Cover Blurb: When the flatulent force of those five bean burritos hits you all at once and you just can't keep it in anymore... don't wake mommy.
Back Cover Description: Boo York Times-bestselling word slinger, freelance florist, and one-time hand model for Ayn Hand, Freckle E. Taint, is back at it with this latest installment of her Aghast and Agog Quadrilogy.

Lacteauz Entolérant is a seamstress who works remotely crafting uniforms for the local quarrymen of her hometown in the south of France. To cut costs and for funsies, she lives with her mother in her spacious childhood home that’s prone to drafts and lots of dust and stuff because neither of them can be bothered to keep up with such menial chores.

Nevertheless, Lacteauz is a terrible roommate — and a heavy-footed walker, to put it gently.

Her mother, Margeaux, has had enough with the clomping, and gives Lacteauz an ultimatum: either stop all this racket at once — including her malodorous tooting, which is another thing that Margeaux gets annoyed at but doesn’t want to go into graphic, explicit detail about right at this very moment — or there will be only one fate for Lacteauz... she will be left to fend for herself on the mean streets and picturesque beaches that Saint-Tropez is known for.

Or at least she’d have to move to the East Wing of their home. Either works.

What results is a harrowing tale of triumph and woe as Lacteauz boldly tries her best not to make a sound — and to keep her noctural (and diurnal...) emissions to herself...

Until she just cannot even.

Notes (optional): Nein

Captain HowdyX

Prompt Attendance
Username: Captain Howdy
Prompt Number: #3
Title: Gunilla's Swinging Bloodbath Sleepover
Front Cover Blurb: Don't close your eyes at this sleepover... You just might not wake up.
Back Cover Description:
In the year 1960, in the small Swedish town of Uppsidaisy, Muffy, Bunny and Bootsy are three carefree American exchange students studying advanced housewifery. One day at the university they meet the mysterious Gunilla, a pale young woman with a penchant for oversized potato sacks. Bunny and Bootsy are instantly put off by the quiet Gunilla, but the fiery Muffy is oddly drawn to the stranger.

Soon it is the weekend of St. Ikea’s Day, and Gunilla invites the three supple Americans to her country estate for a sleepover. But for what possible reason? They barely know each other. There is apprehension, but Gunilla promises a good time, and it is Muffy who encourages the other two to except the offer of the swinging Swede.

This simple decision puts in motion a shocking series of events previously unrecorded in annals of literary history. Now Muffy, Bunny and Bootsy are drawn into a dark and depraved world they must fight to escape. … But do they want to?

Drugs, Sex, Pillow Fights, Pizza Rolls, Female Homoeroticism, and MURDER!

Time magazine says of Gunilla’s Swinging Bloodbath Sleepover – “An unapologetically salacious dumpster fire fueled by blood and acts of outrageous lesbianism. Stretching out a lengthy 673 pages, each is more tawdry than the last. Naked entrail wresting, animal sacrifices, and I dare not say where they put those Swedish meatballs.”

And Ernest Hemingway says: “9 outta 10 boners. Good stuff.”

Notes (optional): Makes Valley of the Dolls look like Winnie the Pooh.

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 11-01-2018 at 10:06 AM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 10-26-2018, 08:32 PM

Welcome back!

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-26-2018, 09:38 PM

:D thank you, hummy. Nice to see you.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 10-26-2018, 09:43 PM

Why thank you, it's nice to be seen

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 10-27-2018, 12:49 AM

That's a good point... Why is it that just one window is illuminated usually. Hmm.

Prompt one. I know what name I want to use. >.<

Last edited by Shadami; 10-27-2018 at 12:52 AM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 10-27-2018, 12:55 AM

Good luck!

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-27-2018, 02:49 AM

I'm excited to see what you come up with!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 10-27-2018, 02:55 AM

I hope you get a lot of really Interesting entries

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 10-27-2018, 06:51 AM

Omg, the sweat is actively dripping down my balls in antici.......pation.

I'm going to entire this for sure, at a later date.

-twerks for those watching at home-

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 10-27-2018, 06:54 AM

RIFLMAS OH. MY. GOD.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 10-27-2018, 03:50 PM

I haven't seen Biggles in forever! Good to see you!

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 10-27-2018, 05:13 PM

Prompt Attendance
Username:shadami
Prompt Number:1
Title: Raven Bluff's Spirit
Front Cover Blurb:Sometimes they see her, sometimes only the results.
Back Cover Description:The rumors tell of a beautiful woman who was thrown from the cliffs into the sea on her wedding day by her husband to be. He had grown jealous of the attention she received for her beauty and thought that she would leave him. In a fit of rage as they argued and she denied all his accusations he pushed her and the cliff gave away. She was gone

Then strange things began happening all over his Manor. He'd find the tables set for two in the morning. Vases would have fresh flowers in them and more would appear every day. Finally one day he saw her staring at him sadly in a mirror, stricken with grief he fled his own Manor and his riches.

Years later he has died of old age, but the rumors tell of her spirit still residing in the castle, waiting for her husband to return. A young man that is a descendant has just discovered his heritage and is moving in to the Raven's Bluff Manor to try to bring it back to life. What will happen when he encounters her ghost?
Notes (optional):

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 PM

Prompt Attendance
Username: Woodlandnypmh
Prompt Number:4
Title:
Lady Isabeth's Portrait of Tears
Front Cover Blurb:
"Her lust for answers wasn't her only sin."
Back Cover Description:
Lady Isabeth came to her uncle’s holding, Moor Manor on a cold and wet winter day. That same day, the mysterious and dashing Lord Titleroil arrived in blood stained clothes.

Mysterious cries in the attic, the tormented beauty of Titleroil… Lady Isabeth’s entire naive existence was rocked.

It wasn’t until she came upon the crying portrait, that she started to find answers. Would she let in Titleroil to her maiden-world? Or the Manor drive her to madness?

Notes (optional):

Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 10-27-2018, 06:37 PM

woody. that is amazing lol titleroil!

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 10-27-2018, 06:43 PM

He's the lordy Lord of your dreams, baby!

One, BIGGLES I MISSED YOU!!!!!

And two, is this only one entry for the contest? Cause I have an affinity for the Gothic!! <3 As do you I know.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 10-27-2018, 08:36 PM

Entries! I'm so excited!

I missed you too, girl! I was away too long >.>

No, feel free to enter as many times as you'd like, guys

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-27-2018, 08:58 PM

Prompt Attendance
Username: Car'a'Carn
Prompt Number: Prompt #3
Title: Death At Deogol Manor
Front Cover Blurb: Seduction, secrets, affairs, and a burning desire to kill. What awaits Adamina at Deogol Manor?
Back Cover Description:
Her husband dead and mother long gone, Adamina has nowhere else to turn but her wicked Aunt Dabria. Moving in to her secluded mansion by the sea, it's not long before the attentions of Alastair, Dabria's husband, turn to the warm, lively Adamina. Comforting the bereaved young woman quickly sparks Dabria's vicious anger and jealous ire.

Mysterious accidents follow Adaminia around the Mansion as she delves deeper into it's secrets, narrowly escaping death each time. Alastair somehow comes to her rescue in the nick of time. That is until tragedy strikes Alastair himself.

Jealousy, long dark halls and mysterious locked rooms. Dabria is hiding secrets in her manor. With Alastair out of the picture, Adamina must struggle to survive while racing against time to discover the secrets of Aunt Dabria and Deogol Manor
Notes (optional):
I had fun with the names XD Aunt Dabria's name means death. Adamina means of red earth cause you know, she's a read head. Alastair's name means guardian. Afterall, he's trying to protect Adamina from his horrid wife. Just to be clear here, Dabria is Adamina's blood relative, not Alastair XD OH! And Deogol means secrets in old english! At least.. this is what google tells me... It could be lying to me. About everything.
Click on thumbnail for full view

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 10-28-2018, 03:11 PM

Yes!! It does! Deagol is the name of the cousin Smeagol (Golum) killed for the one ring cause he thought it was his "birthday present'! Geekery for the win! So that's kinda awesome to use a form of it! Just saying.

---------- Post added 10-28-2018 at 11:50 AM ----------

Prompt Attendance
Username: Woodlandnymph
Prompt Number:
Title:
Brokeback Mountie
Front Cover Blurb:
Passions run hot when maple runs thick
Back Cover Description:
Margaux knew their love was forbidden. She was a maiden who grew up on a Vermont yak farm and he was a hot blooded Canadian Mountie. They were worlds apart.

But unknown to her family, she was planning to run off and over the border to forbidden Moose Country. Underneath her red, white, and blue exterior, her colors ran maple leaf.

Secret trysts, Family pride, heart ache, and hockey. This tale of woe comes in the form a crimson uniform.

“A confusing joy…” ~ Justin Theroux
Notes (optional):
This is more of a dime store romance gothic than a traditional Romantic Gothic. Complete with bad editing and more beavers (and moose) than you know what to do with.