View Poll Results: Favorite Frequenter of the Uni Thread?
BlackCart! FTW! 9 60.00%
...Marguerite. Is that even a question? 7 46.67%
Taiyo!!!! YGO addict! 4 26.67%
Happy! You're friendly neighborhood insomniac. 7 46.67%
Zaza (Though we haven't seen him lately) 5 33.33%
Pearl! 6 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 08-29-2013, 05:15 AM

A little more excited now that I have my halls and finances sorted. I'm a little nervous about not knowing anyone though I'm looking forward to getting back into a routine (of sorts) though because I've been on holiday since May and done nothing ha

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:10 AM

You'll be living in dorms, right? That's the best way to make friends, for sure. At least for a lot of people. ^.^ I've always had a hard time making friends in classes because people can't be/aren't chatty and just want to get the hell out of there, especially in those huge lectures.

I understand what you mean about the routine. I turn into a lazy bum if I don't have a schedule/any reason to do anything.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer
Send a message via AIM to serena yuy Send a message via MSN to serena yuy

Old 08-29-2013, 03:24 PM

I'm trying to keep up on my work, but with them all being online, I need to get better with planning. Today mike and I have to get Logan a birthday gift for his birthday party this weekend, so I'll get myself one of those dry erase calendars and use them. I just thought of how I can make it work for me. I get messed up when the week on calendars start on Sundays since I always think of Monday as the first day of the week. Just use masking tape :P

@Vinyl: Ely is right about the dorming. That's how I have friends from my undergrad school, I dormed while I went there since it was 2hr away from home. I'm still friends with a few of them from some of the years. I also recommend getting involved in student groups. Your school might have an activities day/night where the student clubs all have a table or something in a central location on campus for students to come and go to the table and see what the club is about and sign up to get an e-mail to find out when they meet if interested in the group. That is also how I met some of my other friends was being involved in a group. ^^

I had an on campus apartment at grad school, that didn't work well since it was just me and my not social roommate and I was just so tired from work and drained from my schoolwork and had so much, that I didn't really meet too many. Plus some of my classes are online so meeting people not too easy. I'm home now and a bit better off with my schooling now :D

Last edited by serena yuy; 08-29-2013 at 03:28 PM..

ElysiumFate

Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Haha, that used to mess me up, too. I still find it stupid that Sunday is technically the first day of the week. Why is it part of the "weekend" then? I've thought that since I was in elementary school.

I mean, hell, even in the Christian religion it is celebrated as the "7th day that God rested on" so why is it considered the first day of the week? Makes no sense.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 08-30-2013, 02:19 AM

Yeah I'm staying in student accommodation this year rather than getting a private flat because I thought it would be the best way to meet people. There's a hashtag on twitter the uni set up so you can find people you're living with before you move down so today I met someone who's in my flat and two people next door (one of them is on my course too). :) Plus there's freshers week when I first move down before classes start so that's a good way to meet people too. There's a pyjama party on the first night <3

Yeah I really fancy joining a drama group or something because they look so fun <3

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 08-30-2013, 02:23 AM

@Ely: yeah, I usually follow the European format with stuff sometimes, which is why I usually have Monday the beginning of the week, because that's what it is. It never made sense to have Sunday the beginning in my ehad ever.

@Vinyl: That's perfect and awesome! I missed living on campus like that where I had people around me instead of anti-social and socially awkward grad students

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 AM

Yeah everyone in my halls are first year students and in my age range (16-19) so we're all in the same boat really. I'm pretty excited now that I definitely know a couple of people :)

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 08-30-2013, 03:03 AM

Yeah, that's why I'm all for having freshmen/first year dorms. That way you all get to know each other and you're all first-years and in the same situations being away for the first time.

ElysiumFate

Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 AM

Yeah, I kinda regret not just going full on at a University instead of being a transfer. I missed the dorm experience doing that. It just wasn't in my cards to live in the dorms, I guess. It cost more and my family was never a fan of it for that reason. If I could go back and redo it, I think I would've opted for the dorms, though. In my opinion, it would have been worth the money.

@Ser: Really? Europe's first day of the week is Monday? Mind blown.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 08-30-2013, 03:45 AM

Yeah, I had no choice but to live on the dorms since my home address was 2hr away. So commuting was stupid as an undergrad. Graduate I would be able to do that. I guess it was worth it for me to live on campus. I have friends still from Fredonia, and a few still from UB. I didn't see the point of living off campus. My friends were all like "oh but it's cheaper" Yeah, what're you saving? Oh food and what else? You have to buy your own food, how are you saving? you know, buy your own food with your own money. I just saved and didn't have a major meal plan till my last semester to treat myself because Starbucks finally started accepting meals that semester and I wanted my damn drinks and to get small meals. Plus I would go to the WalMart via the shuttle, or the Dollar General via the shuttle after classes and get small things. Oh and laundry, you have to pay your own money for that. Mine's included.

Yeah, most European countries have Monday listed as the first day of the week. It makes sense that way. Weekend is Saturday and Sunday, why not have it listed as the weekend, not as the first day of the week. Us, Canada, and some Asian countries I noticed have Sunday.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 PM

That sounds like a promising start to uni life Vinyl. Hope you enjoy the experience!~

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 PM

Aw thank you, Ling :)

Yeah, my house is four hours away from the university and it's on the other side of the country so I'm definitely in halls ha. The only thing bothering me is the flats are shared with 8 people so I don't know how I'm going to handle living with so many since I've always been part of a small house. I am glad we're all in the same boat though :) Even if I did stay in the same city as the university I'd probably still go into halls just so I could meet people and move out on my own etc. :)

ElysiumFate

Old 08-31-2013, 12:52 AM

See, I had no excuse to go to dorms, really. I live about 30 to 40 minutes away from two major universities. My current uni is 40 minutes away, which definitely sucks ass but I have still saved a lot of money by driving instead of living up there. Still wish I did live up there, though. Every day I usually think to myself "I'd rather be living here than where I do."

Do you have your own room, at least? I can deal with lots of people as long as I have at least one room that's solely my space.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 AM

I lived in a suite that had 8 girls total (so me and 7 others). It was nice when I got along and was friends with them all like a couple semesters. But, I still keep in touch with a few. I had to share a room with 1 other which wasn't bad (except the girl from 2010-11)

That's why I decided to come home to finish Grad school. Too much money wasted on an apartment shared with another girl who did not or may not do ANY cleaning other than her bedroom. So, I was sick of wasting money on a place that I only cleaned, had to call maintainence every month, and my classes are mostly online, so I can do it from home anyway.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 AM

Yeah we all have our own rooms which is good. I definitely couldn't share with someone I didn't know. I always thought that was odd about American dorms, you usually have roommates. My flat is all girls too.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 08-31-2013, 04:12 PM

I hated having to share a room with another person. But, I dealt with it better when I got along with and became friends with the girl I had to room with (still friends with a couple), but I didn't do too well 10-11 with this one girl who did not clean, was rude, and her stuff was disorganised and in my way. I tried, but I gave up after awhile.
Glad I came home and don't have to share a room with anyone again (until my fiancé and I move in together).

ElysiumFate

Old 08-31-2013, 04:33 PM

Ach, that sounds just lovely to me, Vinyl. Definitely a huge part of the reason I didn't fight to go into dorms is because we basically get a moldy shoebox with a bunk bed to share with somebody else. It wasn't worth 9000 bucks a year to be miserable, lol.

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 08-31-2013, 06:56 PM

At least the dorms at my undergrad school weren't that bad. They cost total for me each year over $5,000 as opposed to me spending over 10k for housing and meal at the apartments on campus at my grad school which were a hell of a lot of a pain for me.
At least at Fredonia where I got my bachelor's, yeah I had to share a bathroom with 7 other girls and a room with one other girl, but I had my own space in the room and a bed that was comfortable. and the room wasn't too bad.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 PM

I got a 38 week lease for my halls so that's only going to cost me about £3,900 a year. Plus they look nice enough :)

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 09-01-2013, 12:24 AM

Sounds about right. That's around how much my housing was at my undergraduate university per year after I would add in my meal plan which bumped it up a little over $1,000 more. I also went to a smaller state university for my undergraduate degree, which played in the cost. Whereas the dormitories that are the same as the ones I was in at the smaller university, at the bigger university where I am getting my Master's from- those cost a bit more than the ones at my old school.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 AM

I'm probably just going to live on pasta and make various sauces to go with it. Cheap and cheerful. The rest of my money will likely go on funding student alcoholism ha. Yeah my university is quite small so everything there is a little cheaper than the bigger universities :)

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 09-01-2013, 12:56 AM

Yeah, that's part of why I moved back home because the bigger university I'm getting my master's from, it's just sooo expensive to live. Plus I do enjoy being able to have a life with friends and be able to go out and have money to have some fun... Just waiting to see if I canget some.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 AM

Yeah the city I'm going to has two universities and my friend is in the bigger one and her residency is about double the price of mine . It's always good to have money to go hang out with people. :)

serena yuy
Cat Whisperer

Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 AM

Yeah, I hope I get a refund for my financial aid this semester. i'm really strapped for cash :(

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 09-01-2013, 06:11 AM

When will you find out if you get it?