Darkie
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 03-14-2007, 11:41 PM

r a w r.

Oh my god, thats exactly what I did! XD My dad knew that I desperately wanted a tablet, and on my birthday he's like: Lets go buy it. 8D
You know what I say?
MMm... it's too expensive! I`ll buy it in the future...one day... ^ ^:;

Well, meanwhile I decided I`ll wait till I can draw reaaallly reaalllly reallly well before getting a tablet. XD

Winnsome
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Winnsome Send a message via MSN to Winnsome

Old 03-15-2007, 12:53 AM

I actually decided to get my tablet rather impulsively. One day, I was reading up on tablets, and it was like, "I'll get one!"
So I researched some more, and found bestbuy was having a sale on a 4x5, and I got one for 70 bucks. It was a Christmas present, but even if my parents wouldn't buy me it, it wasn't as though I didn't have the 70 bucks saved up. xD

I like it. I mean, I seriously don't use it that often, so it takes a while to get used to the feel of the tablet under me and how it'd look on the computer, but that only takes a little while. I do try to take good care of it though. (;

I heard the pen tip gets a bit worn down after a lot of use, but you could buy replacements.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 03-15-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkie
r a w r.

Oh my god, thats exactly what I did! XD My dad knew that I desperately wanted a tablet, and on my birthday he's like: Lets go buy it. 8D
You know what I say?
MMm... it's too expensive! I`ll buy it in the future...one day... ^ ^:;

Well, meanwhile I decided I`ll wait till I can draw reaaallly reaalllly reallly well before getting a tablet. XD

Lucky you. Haha, I bargained with my parents for one. "Mom, can I have a tablet this year?"

"Only if you don't want birthday or christmas presents for the next three years."

"Okay."

It was worth it, haha.

Then again, after fourteen I kind of stopped having birthdays alltogether.

VuscISM
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-19-2007, 04:00 AM

Wacom is awesome ^^. I have a graphire 3 5x4 ((Which isn't bad at all, although I do wish I have an intuos like my sister who got it for her high school entrance gift 8P))

T-T;; Wacoms are expensive though...I was forced to buy it with my own money ((Mind you, I'm too young to work and my parents would never buy me something so expensive unless I got good grades D:....which was impossible for me.)) With an allowance of $5 per week, I saved up to $99 and I think my parents paid the rest.

8D Then again, I'm somewhat happy that I saved that much when I was 11-12...Quite an achievement I did.

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabi Kat
You don't have to get a wacom. There are a lot of brands out there that are just as amazing. And sometimes you can look in the most unusual places and get things that work just as great.

I recently bought a 9 x12 inch cyber tablet by Adesso through Overstock.com for $170 or so. And then bought the extra stylus from Adesso for another $20 since the pen the cyber tablet comes with actually has ink, it's mostly meant for writing on paper and electronically filing it. Now, I'm not a big CG artist, but it's fun to play with so it was my treat to myself. But that $200 was a good investment for me.
While there are other brands, i've found that wacom is the industry standard, and is definitely dependable. I've had the same wacom tablet for 3 years and use it very often, and it has yet to break on me. <3 my tablet.

Jennger
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Jennger Send a message via MSN to Jennger Send a message via Yahoo to Jennger

Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 AM

Tablets are awesome, though you should save up for the largest ones rather then the small one.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyBombay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabi Kat
You don't have to get a wacom. There are a lot of brands out there that are just as amazing. And sometimes you can look in the most unusual places and get things that work just as great.

I recently bought a 9 x12 inch cyber tablet by Adesso through Overstock.com for $170 or so. And then bought the extra stylus from Adesso for another $20 since the pen the cyber tablet comes with actually has ink, it's mostly meant for writing on paper and electronically filing it. Now, I'm not a big CG artist, but it's fun to play with so it was my treat to myself. But that $200 was a good investment for me.
While there are other brands, i've found that wacom is the industry standard, and is definitely dependable. I've had the same wacom tablet for 3 years and use it very often, and it has yet to break on me. <3 my tablet.
My tablets six years old, and still working fine, haha. I've had it since middle school!

eig
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to eig

Old 03-19-2007, 05:57 PM

Yeah, I can't do digital art at all unless I am using my tablet. XD I don't know how I used to do it with a mouse?

Then again, I haven't been doing digital art lately, I prefer traditional media now. :3

Enniel
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 PM

i have a tablet, but its not a wacom. its a mousepen. it does the trick XD

amalath
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-24-2007, 12:34 PM

how much do you know about CG? First of all you should try to colour some works with mouse so you can see if working with digital mediums will be easier for you. Tablet is helpful but you must learn how to use it - for many people it's almost as hard as learning to work with for example paints. The best way is to find someone who already owns a tablet and try it a few times by yourself.

EDIT: and the size of the tablet doesn't make big difference I think. I've got the smallest Wacom and I love it ^^

galy
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Banned

Old 03-24-2007, 03:52 PM

yeah i wouldn't buy anything that isn't wacom.
their tablets are made for this sort of digital drawing thing and they have little details that tell you that [like an eraser on the opposite end of the pen - how cool is that???].

i used a mouse for 10 years before i got a tablet, it's good to know both i think. if your tablet breaks or you lose your pen for some reason it's good to be able to go on and not feel like you're going to die if you don't find/fix it.

i have th 6x8 wacom and am thinking of buying the 12x12" intuos whenever i get a new desk where i can actually fit it. my parents had no say in any of this bc i buy all my own stuff. i think the last time they got me something was when i was 12 or 13 :B

but yeah if it seems like a lot of money to them, save up wherever you can and offer to pay for half.

Folken
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 PM

I've always wanted to get a tablet, but I don't want to get one and then discover that it's not for me. I want to try it out before I buy, but no one around me has one, and no stores carry art tablets here.

D:

Clavis
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-30-2007, 10:20 PM

Wow, after several years of nothing but traditional art and a mouse, I was able to learn how to use my tablet (a 4x5" Intuos3) within minutes. o_o It always surprises me when people say they had trouble adjusting to it. I guess it depends on the person, and your individual drawing style.

Before I got my Wacom I bought an Aiptek and it was worse than a mouse. I'm pretty wary of other brands now. Go for a Wacom. :D

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennger
Tablets are awesome, though you should save up for the largest ones rather then the small one.
Not true. GO for whichever fits your strok style the best. If you do large, sweeping work and are yused to working on large canvas, a larger one will be better. But if you're very wrist-oriented, go for a small one. Not ot mention, no matter what tablet size you have, you can zoom in and out.

I think part of my adjustment was the sheer size of my tablet - it's a 9x12.

Enniel
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaly
yeah i wouldn't buy anything that isn't wacom.
their tablets are made for this sort of digital drawing thing and they have little details that tell you that [like an eraser on the opposite end of the pen - how cool is that???].

i used a mouse for 10 years before i got a tablet, it's good to know both i think. if your tablet breaks or you lose your pen for some reason it's good to be able to go on and not feel like you're going to die if you don't find/fix it.

i have th 6x8 wacom and am thinking of buying the 12x12" intuos whenever i get a new desk where i can actually fit it. my parents had no say in any of this bc i buy all my own stuff. i think the last time they got me something was when i was 12 or 13 :B

but yeah if it seems like a lot of money to them, save up wherever you can and offer to pay for half.
that IS cool :3 but I dont have a wacom, because i dont really do serious cg art, its just for fun. if i wanted to do it as a profession, then i would probably get one, but so far my mouse pen has worked pretty well!!

jazzkitteh
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-02-2007, 06:55 PM

Tablets roxerz, thought if you get a cheap crappy brand like I did you'll probably end up doing to same thing I did and smashing it after a few months ;>.> Good that your looking at wacoms thats what im currently saving for. Nothing really beats them. My bf has one and he makes me so jealous >.<

kafine
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 AM

I loves my little wacom. It's definatley worth investing in a tablet that will last.

My mother spent £70 to get it for my 15th birthday, and I'm 20 in a week or so, and the tablet is still going strong :D

It's a lot to spend in one go, but £70 spread over 5 years seems like far less.

I'd like to upgrade to a larger model when I have the money though (Which could be a while!)

LunaMiel
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-03-2007, 03:12 PM

• OMG I love my tablet, but I dont think it loves me back. For some reason on my dell laptop, I usually have to reinstall the drivers. ;o; It works just fine on my PC though. <3

I use a Wacom Graphire 3 4X5 and I got it for like $54 at www.onsale.com I dont think that they sell the grapphire3 anymore though. ;o;

Rawrr__x
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 04-08-2007, 03:15 AM

hehe i dont reall know wat that is i moree into just drawing on paper and colouring lol im pretty good at it toooooooo <33333333333333333333333333333333 goodluck getting your tablet thing youmust be a very goodd artist to spend that much..

Folken
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-09-2007, 12:21 AM

I just won a 12x12 Wacom SD 420E Digitizer auction on Ebay. :3

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-15-2007, 03:28 AM

I want a tablet too...

I plan to get one next year with my Chinese New year money. xD

BoB_is_cool
n/a

Old 04-15-2007, 03:37 AM

i have a small one but it is useable. I think it is really worth it. It is so much esier than just a mouse. it does get a little bad with details sometimes but all in all I love mine so much I would like to marry it hahahahahaha :D

aziansensation40
Dead Account Holder
n/a
Send a message via AIM to aziansensation40

Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 AM

yea i was thinkin about buyin a tablet as well but then i was like, well i havent really drawn for very long and idk how much im gonna be using it. then i was like im doin alright w/o one so maybe ill just wait. plus they sorta are really expensive so idk. it does seem really cool though id love to have one personally

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 AM

I had a tablet once (Not wacom brand)... It was a super cheap one that my husband got me because the business was going out of sale (Probably for selling crappy tablets). It wasn't useful for me at all. The courser wouldn't stay still... it shook all the time. I couldn't even draw a straight line with it. I tried setting the pen on the tablet and not moving it, and it still moved the courser.

One person said it might be because the tablet was too close to the computer... But... if I have to be far away... I can't see what I'm drawing x.X;

I'll stick to my trusty mouse.

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-19-2007, 04:02 AM

Ooh, I want a tablet more than ever O 3O;;;

my scanner isn't working right now xDDDD;;

I hope this summer I get to buy my tablet. -whee&&heart-