Tirael
*^_^*

Old 04-08-2007, 04:32 AM

D:... I thought there was only one AP art class....

I think this has already been discussed before, but traditional artists can do well too on an online community :3.

galy
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Banned

Old 04-08-2007, 04:39 AM

there has been an increase in traditional artists in the last couple of months. from what i've seen a lot of traditional artists on gaia [i only say gaia because the site is a lot older than this one] are having auctions that skyrocket to super high amounts in a couple of days.

lately it seems people have been interested in getting originals in the mail. even if the work they'll be receiving is fair to mediocre, they don't seem to mind as long as they have something in their hands.

edit: an add just popped up here
this old guy is hilarious

xD

zynii
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to zynii

Old 04-08-2007, 05:52 PM

Artist or not?
~ Artist.

How well can you draw?
~ I'm a freshman in High School and I'm taking a Advanced Senior Art class. ^^

Artists = richest?
~ Depends. Exchangers are rich. ^^

How people never want to pay for any other useable skill, other than art?
~ HTML/ CCS and other coders get payed more than the common artist online. ^^

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM

XP Had Gaia had such a welcoming attitude towards traditional media two years back, I might've stayed longer.

But when I started there, they wouldn't let me send the original. Hell they wouldn't let me send it as GIFTART even when I didn't charge a thing. Like..I was doing freebies and they wouldn't let me. -.o' I got reported like a godzillion times for asking for addresses. ~_~' Which is really uberstupid...since if you don't want to gimme and address I don't really care, don't ask for the original then der? *face-into-desk* Originally they said it was "ok" if the person who wanted it agreed to it. e.e And then after I finish 5 or 6 paintings, Gaia mods were like, "oh nope we change our minds".. ~_~''''

*mutter-ramble*

Tirael
*^_^*

Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 PM

scarlet: eew o3o... but can't say I'm surprised.

I was selling ink paintings in 2004-2005 but never sent the original hmm. It wasn't too bad really :F.

Baja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...
Send a message via AIM to Baja

Old 04-08-2007, 08:28 PM

I'm somewhat of an artist. Though, I don't seel my art. I tried to a few times on Gaia, though never managed to sell any. So, it didn't really help me in the 'rich' aspect. Right now, I just leave my art to collect dust in my DA account. XP.

X

MiroshaxKerry
*^_^*

Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 PM

Artist or not? yes
How well can you draw? meh... so so..
Artists = richest? hell now way, i am on Gaia but not because of my art (i did consider selling my art one time though.)
How people never want to pay for any other useable skill, other than art? well i dont think their really truly is anouther skill people would pay for, unless its belly dancing or to a world famous footballer or something.

MiroshaxKerry
*^_^*

Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zynii

Artist or not?
~ Artist.

How well can you draw?
~ I'm a freshman in High School and I'm taking a Advanced Senior Art class. ^^

Artists = richest?
~ Depends. Exchangers are rich. ^^

~ HTML/ CCS and other coders get payed more than the common artist online. ^^
Ah thats it lol i forgot about that one, think Gaia online does that type of thing ne?

MiroshaxKerry
*^_^*

Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Virtual Memory
Quote:
Originally Posted by fongmingyun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Virtual Memory
I call myself an artist. I just doodle, mostly, though. I know I've got skills, though I don't have photoshop or a tablet or anything fancy.

But I don't charge people for any art. I think its silly to make people pay digital gold for something that I enjoyed doing.
*raises eyebrow*

Right, because photoshop and tablets are what separates doodlers from artists.
That isn't what I meant.

I call myslef an artist online, though I'm really not one. I'm not serious about it. I'll do one more year of it in high school but I don't weant it for a real occupation. It's just for fun.

And I know I'm good. I've heard it, I'm proud of my progress. I just can't do anything facy on the computer because I don't have photoshop or a tablet. (which I want..oh-so badly)

I'm sure others can. Do amazingly, that is. I'm not that bad with a mouse.

Sorry if I offended you by not making anything clear. ^3^
You can CG with a mouse? thats good thats a start, you have more progress than me and i have a tablet myself its about the artist not the program really (though different programs can help.)

but it dosent mean you dont have to not get a tablet, tablets are easier to use once you get used to it.

p a r f a i t
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 PM

I guess I'm an artist. Since I'm new to this site, I'll talk about this in a gaia sort of a way.

Am I a good artist? I think so.

Am I rich? On this site, no, because I'm not interested in starting a shop now. On gaia, yes, I am extremely rich. And I do think that artists are the richest people.

Personally, I don't see the thrill of paying other people to draw pixels that someone's made you for free, but if people want to pay me, well, good for me, and good for them, since they get something, too. : )

Melilot
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 PM

It is lucky for me. It does get money quick if you're skilled.
But for me, it's not about the money. It's moreso like... practicing skills. And it is nice to portray the personality of the person, moreso than their avatar does.

Artist or not? Si.
How well can you draw? I dunno. I'm a novice.
Artists = richest? Yeah... there are a lot of rich artists. But then again, if you can play the economy well, you can also get rich. So being an artist is one of the best ways, but not the only way.
Oh, it's because 1. Nobody has a website to code for. 2. It's 'wrong' to do someone's homework for them. 3. Selling pictures of yourself isn't good...
Hmm... what did I leave out?

People LOVE seeing themselves portrayed. Or, their characters. I get RP character commishies A LOT. And fursona. It helps other people to visualize their characters better.

But seriously: Gold isn't all there is to a site. Sometimes it's publicity for your artwork, and therefore, getting RL commissions. Sometimes it's... just gaining friends and stuff. But we already know that.

lovebaby
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 PM

I was/is an artist at Gaia, with my own shop, of course. It is true that artist have an easy way of earning gold, but it gets old and boring after a while. Commission takes up way too much time to actually draw my own OC or carry out any of my projects like doujins/mangas/etc.
I don't draw that well, and having a shop helps at certain time. But again, it gets a little heavy later on when you have 'real life' stuffs to deal with.
Artists aren't really the richest. Well, depends on how good an artist is. Normal anime style won't earn much, but unique styles or semi-realism earns quite an amount actually.
I believe that people pay more for HTML codings than arts. So no, arts aren't the only things people willing to pay for.

Melilot
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 PM

lovebaby: I know... drawing the same thing over and over again? Basically.

That's why I want to start doing larger commissions. Or bribe commissions. Or none at all. On gaia at least. Gets so BORING.

Oh, there are some anime styles that earn a lot. But then again, semi-realist styles, with a twinge of asian manga influence do sell like... I don't know, give me something tremendous to compare it to.

Really?
I need to find some of these people wanting websites. :ninja:

It's not that prevalent a trend on gaia though. *sighs*

darkcheese
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 06-11-2007, 02:03 AM

I can draw moderatly well depending on what I'm taking as inspiration.

if i'm trying to think of something off the top of my head, I usually can not think of something to draw.

I usually take someone elses inspiration and incorperate it in my own.

not stealing, but sort of borrowing.