Akemi
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 AM

I was trying to draw and when I'm in that sort of space I HATE to be interrupted. Since my computer is in the dining room my mom thinks thats an invitation to talk to me.
Even though I've told her repeatedly that I hate being bothered when drawing, she keeps trying to talk to me and show me things, and worst of all- asking me to do things (like make her coffee or move things for her, etc) Obviously having to get up in the middle of a drawing is really disrupting and really ruins my headspace.

It's not anything that can't wait until I'm done drawing but then she gets pissy if I don't do it right then and acts like it's a big deal that I'm not dropping everything to help her.

Do you find yourself in similar situations?
What are your pet peeves when it comes to your art?

Katherina
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-18-2007, 01:28 AM

I know what you mean ._. It seems like its a universal habit of mother to 'ruin' their kids' art career, whether aware of it or not. My mom is similar, always bugged me to do this and that JUST WHEN I drew or colored something -glares- Come on, washing dishes isn't that freakin' important I need to break my 'right' artistic mood just to do it right away. I swear I hate my mom because of that sometime and seriously, it's her specialty to give me more and more difficulty to work on art since she kills my muse so often.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 06-18-2007, 01:36 AM

lol. My mom has sat on my artwork before and/or used it to collevt clippings when she's cutting her nails. I've learned to be a bit more careful about that.

My personal pet peeve is when someone who doesn't know what they're doing decides they want to do part of my art for me. Like, sometimes I get lazy and let my mom flat-color stuff when she's bored, but I had a friend who always liked to work on my stuff and always ended up erasing certain parts that I needed. (Damn people who find kneaded erasers so amusing).

Akemi
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 AM

ouch. that's kind of... gross XD with the nail clippings.

oooh, the erasing needed parts is terrible. That's why I don't let most people near my artwork unless I trust their skills. I do think it's hilarious you let your mom flat-color stuff, at least that's useful.

Misty
(-.-)zzZ
Banned

Old 06-18-2007, 05:10 AM

Hahah~ what I hate most is when people just randomly stand behind me and just STARE at me. It's so unnerving. D: It's kind of like this when I'm drawing:

Random person: "Watchu doin'?"

Me: "Drawing."

rp: ** stares **

Me: "OKAY. That's enough drawing for today."

And then when they go away, I go back to my drawing. I think that's even worse than getting called away to do something.

But then -- that entire "my mom likes to destroy my artwork" thing is just a little annoying. XD

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to fongmingyun Send a message via MSN to fongmingyun Send a message via Yahoo to fongmingyun

Old 06-18-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akemi
ouch. that's kind of... gross XD with the nail clippings.

oooh, the erasing needed parts is terrible. That's why I don't let most people near my artwork unless I trust their skills. I do think it's hilarious you let your mom flat-color stuff, at least that's useful.
Mind you, she never actually throws them away. Just kind of sits on them and uses them for her nails and then puts 'em back or leaves 'em there. XD;;;

toxicbear
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 AM

Wow. Okay, like Misty stated, I don't enjoy when people stand behind me and stare at me while drawing. And durring so, when they decide to critique me while I'm only twenty minutes into the image and it's not even close to being finished.

I also can not stand when people decide to 'help' me while I'm drawing...Like when they decide they'll trace over the lines super dark, when I needed to fix and erase something. Or when they just erase random lines that I needed..

Oh! Also, when people take a drawing. Say, "Oooo pretty!" and decide to draw something next to it super dark to where there's no way it's coming off the paper. Ughhh...-cringe.-

sayuri_nitta
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to sayuri_nitta

Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 AM

People hovering nearby and watching..yeah that bugs me as well XD

People moving my art supplies around, especially my pencils - as everyone knows if you drop a pencil a few times the lead breaks and it becomes next to useless XP

Melilot
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM

GAAAH!! I hate that too. I'm CGing something. I take a long time, CGing, because I'm using a mouse and the picture is HUGE. And my sister comes home and tries to order me off of the computer. Just so she can go on. (She's 20, I'm 16. >_>) Sucks.

I hate when people point to things on my drawing and ask "what's that?" "Is that a girl?" (NO IT'S A BOY!!!1) "OOOOH MAKE ME ONE! I want tweetie(/eeyore, can't spell his name. Lols/Tinkerbell) intertwined with a rose" (or some stupidness... :x )

I hate it when people say "LEMMIE TRY!" and proceed to snatch the picture from under my pencil, just to draw something all over it, and mess.... >__<

I hate it when the teacher is bothering me to do some stupid commentary on some stupid passage in class. Hello?? I"m busy here!! (Loljkz.)

I hate it when this stuuupid kid in my class hangs right over my shoulder and proceeds to criticize my art, saying 'he can draw better than me', when he actually... can't. To be frank. He draws poor imitations of my drawings. And then says that he has a ton at home. (Basically, he's being annoying. Trying to be.)

I dislike it in general when some people hover over my shoulder. It makes me nervous, because it feels like I have to seek their approval, or I have to draw something non-offensive.
For example, I am drawing my charrie Geneva in this cute lingerie outfit. I wanted to draw SO badly at this cookout, but then people would have hung over my shoulder and thought things about me. Condemning, disapproving things.
Or at least I thought they would have. :lol:

I only like it when my friends are drawing with me. I allow them to hover. But it still feels slightly uncomfortable for them to be quietly standing there, peering.

I have a load more. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicbear
I also can not stand when people decide to 'help' me while I'm drawing...Like when they decide they'll trace over the lines super dark, when I needed to fix and erase something. Or when they just erase random lines that I needed..

Oh! Also, when people take a drawing. Say, "Oooo pretty!" and decide to draw something next to it super dark to where there's no way it's coming off the paper. Ughhh...-cringe.-
Oh so annoying.
I normally draw dark. I mean, the pencil lead tends to break when I draw. But it's funny that I hate it when other people draw dark on my paper.
Kill. KILL!!

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM

Lawl. I actually don't mind hovers and crits. XD; I'm an attention whore, what can I say?

I mind when my drawings get wet. DX No seriously, I go insane.

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-18-2007, 02:44 PM

...I hate it when I'm doodling in class and the teacher totally calls me out and makes me stop :oops:

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-18-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyBombay
...I hate it when I'm doodling in class and the teacher totally calls me out and makes me stop :oops:
Ohshit.

Yeeeeah. XDDDDD!

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 06-18-2007, 05:29 PM

pet peeves.. humm.. i absolutely despise it when people take my markers and start using them. I'm generally a very nice sharing person.. but when it comes to my markers no bloody way in hell. i dunno maybe something about the fact that they are my babies and $4 a piece...

hum, also people taking my sketchbooks without saying anything to flip through it and then commenting on the 75% nude drawings i have in there.. its like "look, i draw naked first, then add clothes. this is ALWAYS" and yet i still get the stupid immature comments of "hahahaha you like staring at naked people huh?" *rollseyes*

people drawing in my sketchy... i dunno if they ask sure why not, but randomly grabbing it and then drawing and then ripping the page out? *hiss*

Reinfire
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Reinfire

Old 06-18-2007, 06:07 PM

My biggest art peeve was when I was in art class, and one of my close friends kept interrupting me. She doesn't...okay, I don't want to be mean, especially since I'm not all that amazing of an artist anyway, but she hasn't had much experience with art and doesn't always know what she was doing, so for her to tell me what to do, especially when I'd already considered it and decided not to, was annoying. And she went through a period where every couple lines she drew she'd say, "Hey Rachel, how does this look?" and I'd go "uh..uh??" cause I couldn't even tell what it was. On the bright side, now I really appreciate my time alone in the house when I can work without someone leaning over my shoulder constantly saying "what are you going to do with that?" "why did you color it that way?" "are you sure that's going to look good?". :roll:

Deidara
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Deidara

Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 PM

:D Oi... artist peeves. Prepare for a rant.

So, I hate, just like anyone else, when someone looks over my shoulder. It's just so uncomfy! I prefer to draw alone, so I usually seclude myself in my room, but people find it so important to interrupt me in the middle of it with their presence in the room. It's uncomfy when you know someone else is in the room while your drawing, and the worst thing is if they know you like to be alone while you draw, but still refuse to leave. Then, once you ask them, they get upset at you, taking it personally.

Truthfully, I kind of don't want anyone to know what I'm drawing or see my drawings. It pressures me to make it better.

Whew... I'm done. Got that off my chest.

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-19-2007, 06:42 PM

Lol - yeah, Jitsu. I'm so materialistic. I'm like "You seriously unno how uch that pencil cost, plz don't use it to take notes..."

Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-19-2007, 10:43 PM

i dont like it when people sit around me or stand behind me and watch while i work. it's...unnerving at times.

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 06-19-2007, 11:32 PM

• I don't like it when people touch my paper. >_>; The thing is, they usually leave sweat/dirt/fingerprints on my CLEAN paper. They don't understand how the surface needs to be cleaaan. *dies* Or or...if I'm drawing on printer paper, they'll wrinkle, dent, or even tear it. *sighs*

Then there are the people who hover and go, "HEY IS THAT SAILOR MOON? I used to WATCH that cartoon!" Nooo, it's not Sailormoon. >_<;; It's a boy.
    Hahahaha...or sometimes I'll get, "That girl's flat. Hey, are they boys? Are they gay? You draw gay guys? Are you gay?"
    The other day, a girl picked up one of my drawings - and wrinkled it - and was like, "Hey, he's got a big crotch." Oh come on...those are my guidelines. >_<;

And one last one...

"Hey, you can draw anime, because you're Asian."

WTF. XD

Akemi
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 AM

I got used to people looking over my shoulder from art classes, but I do get kind of self-conscious so I'll only stick to shading or something when they do.

I've never gotten that anime because I'm asian thing, but that's hilarious XD But I do get "You're good at drawing and math because Asians are good at everything!" :roll:

Arrrgh! Dirty fingers is the worst! My friend is an artist and her hands are constantly filthy with pencil/paint/charcoal/etc. but then she goes and puts her hands on everyone elses stuff!
She even got paint on my mac! (I would have been even more pissed if I didn't figure out a way to get rid of most of it, but I still have a faint pink stain I want to strangle her for >.> )

tentenpuff
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to tentenpuff Send a message via Yahoo to tentenpuff

Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 PM

I don't like it when people look at my drawings during class.

xD;;

I don't know why, but they're like my private sketches/doodles. xP

Usually, when people need notes, they'll come to me and get them photocopied, because they were out sick or whatever.

So this one time, I drew this really ugly sketch, and they ended up having it photocopied. Then, they're all, "oh my god11 ths iz sooooo gud1!!1!" I would try to mark it out with a pen and scratch it out or whatever, because it's so UGLY! And I don't want people looking at this horribly ugly doodle that I made.

>______<;;

Blaid

Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 PM

My biggest pet peeve: People taking/trying to look through my sketchbook. It mostly happens when I'm not looking, but when it happens I immediately let them know that I am not happy. Most of the time, they back off, unless they're purposely messing with me, which is where I usually snatch it away, laughing eventually.

However, once my nephew scribbled in one of my sketchbooks. When I confronted him, I kept calm, but he could tell that I wasn't happy. He hasn't touched my sketchbooks since.

Cinnamonmiko
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Cinnamonmiko Send a message via Yahoo to Cinnamonmiko

Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 AM

I have surprisingly few pet peeves about art, but they are powerful peeves.

One of the things I hate most is people touching my sketchbook without permission. I don't mind sharing, really I don't, but ask. Please. Not for inappropriateness (THAT sketchbook stays in the art portfolio and only comes out for figure drawing) but for respecting privacy. My sketchbook is my world. What I draw there usually stems from me, myself, and I, and I can't stand it when people just barge in. (And then they touch the paper with their grubby little fingers. MY grubby fingers are different...they're mine. Yours do not need to be immortalized on a three-or-four (or more) hour graphite drawing!)

And then...critique.

I love critique, adore it, thrive on it....but only when its useful or insightful. Telling me that something looks like crap (or doesn't) isn't the best way to get me to smile. Why does it look good? My writing teacher told me, as an answer, that they look good because they were 'so much better than anything he could draw' and even THAT is more acceptable (if totally preposterous) than; 'that's effin' sweet.'

'effin' sweet' is not a facet of art and therefore does not need to be mentioned. Do you like the colors I used? Does the composition strike you? What do you think of the form, the line, the angle, the perspective, the texture, the space, the ANYTHING related to the technical realities of this picture that makes you think that its 'effin' sweet?!'

Oh, it bothers me so. [/rant] *sigh*

(Whee story time! I was in AP Art this year, and at the end of the year we critiqued out peers' portfolios. Several of the comments on mine were 'It looked good.' I had one that was 'I like the way you got the random art.' . . . . um. Thanks. Except...it wasn't "random" at all, you nitwit! and this from AP students!)

Melilot
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-21-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitsumi1221
pet peeves.. humm.. i absolutely despise it when people take my markers and start using them. I'm generally a very nice sharing person.. but when it comes to my markers no bloody way in hell. i dunno maybe something about the fact that they are my babies and $4 a piece...

hum, also people taking my sketchbooks without saying anything to flip through it and then commenting on the 75% nude drawings i have in there.. its like "look, i draw naked first, then add clothes. this is ALWAYS" and yet i still get the stupid immature comments of "hahahaha you like staring at naked people huh?" *rollseyes*

people drawing in my sketchy... i dunno if they ask sure why not, but randomly grabbing it and then drawing and then ripping the page out? *hiss*

I knoooow. You have to know the structure of the body BEFORE you draw on clothes. Usually. :|
I hate it... when people try to tear pages out of it. It breaks my heart. My body tenses up as the tear grows on the page.
And all they want it for is to put their gum there. Or to clean up a spill. Or to test their pen on.
Or for some stupid project in class where they're going to have to throw that piece away anyways.
It is terrible, especially, if the tear is ragged, and they want a new piece. WTF?? I didn't say that you could tear out a piece in the first place!!! What's wrong with that piece of my soul?
(I hate tearing paper out period.)
*kills pplz*

fongmingyun
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-21-2007, 12:58 PM

Lol. You have to learn to show them that you're effin' pissed if they do that. Like, you know, kick them.

Harkem
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 PM

my friends actually test me out on this..how i automatically stop drawing when there is someone looking =X they're evil