Minoru LaVerite
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Minoru LaVerite

Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 AM

My parents were very skeptical when I first started to focus a lot of my attentions on drawing. To put it simply, they were the kind of parents who believed that schoolwork was always the number one thing to look out for [and I wholeheartedly agree].

However, when I started getting into CGing and drawing more complicated pictures that took up more of my time, my parents STRONGLY DISCOURAGED drawing. They would bark at me every time they saw sketches lying around my desk.

As of now, I usually draw when my parents are not around. I sacrifice sleep to draw when they aren't awake or when they think I'm not awake. I know if they knew the amount of time I put into drawing, they would be shocked. xD;;; My school grades have still been consistent--however, any slight dip below an A will cause my parents to accuse me of drawing too much.

My mother is generally more supportive of my art [basically she loves it when I draw her stuff xD;;;], and my father downright doesn't even appreciate it. It kind of makes sense, because he's not a very artsy man, but I really do wish that they were more supportive of my art.

My sister is the one member of my family that knows the full extent of my drawing and I love her dearly. ;3

Sethirius
*^_^*

Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 AM

Hmm, I think my parents actually wish I focused more on my art. My dad is always saying I should go to school for it.

Though I never will. Art just isn't something I could do career-wise. It's just a hobby for me. I don't want it to ever feel like work.

So yeah, I guess you can say my parents are supportive.

Angelspit
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM

I'd say they are, its something that I am passionate about so they accept my art.

At first my father was like "you will never get anywhere with a career in art......"

But now he has learnt to deal with it, as I am now doing the first year of a two year graphic arts course at tafe. :D

Tre Le Coco

Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 PM

My parents were very supportive of my painting, only because i painted things for them, which drove me insane (it takes me almost years to complete things)

they were totally against my pixeling xD they said it would do me no good, but well look where its gotten me now :)

Naeru
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM

I guess it depends on what you draw
if I draw "real" art, people flowers etc both my parents generally don't care
if I draw anime or cartoon my dad doesnt like it but my mom is ok with it

BlackDinah
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-21-2008, 03:18 AM

My mother's always like "Why aren't you drawing more?!!"

So yeah, really supportive. Of course, it helps that she's an artist too. She even makes a living at it.

Kitty Paine
Gamer Kitty

Old 05-21-2008, 03:19 AM

Its iffy. I can't say yes, but I can't say no.

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 AM

Neutral.

apocalypticdragon

Old 05-21-2008, 02:06 PM

My Parents consider it a hobby and brag about it to there friends but I know they would go completly insane if I told them I wanted to go to college for it.
So supportive of my Drawing as a hobby not as a career.

Ciroen
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 PM

My parents are fairly supportive of my art in general. They're willing to pay for art class and let me draw in my free time. But, they wouldn't like it much if I were to get a career in art. (which I'm not planning to, anyway--I'm procrastinate a ton on commissions. xD )

Basically they're more into traditional (especially still-life paintings/pastels), while I myself prefer CG...because painting and using pastels can get messy. (plus its not something I have time to do outside of art class ^^;; )

As long as I put schoolwork and chores first, and don't stay up till midnight drawing, they're fine with it. C:

Stalovin

Old 05-21-2008, 10:00 PM

Yah , my dad was an artist so they sort of like it XD

Sapphyre800
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 PM

I'm an art major and other than my parents being a little confused about how I will make money when I am older, there haven't been too many problems for me. I just finished my 3rd year of college, and for the first two years I was a digital animation major (3d animation) and earned a 2 year degree but figured out it wasn't something I wanted to do for a living. So since then I have transferred and I am a computer art major focusing on trying to get a job in the comics industry. They're kind of worried that I won't be successful, but I'd be happy working any day job and just freelancing online at night. ^^

Ai-Chan
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 PM

My parents were never really supportive of my art. Especially my ex-step-mom! She was always discouraging me, up to the very end of her marriage to my dad. I bet If I were to talk to her right now, she would still tell me how much she hates my art and everything invovled with it; including japan. However, I slowly won over my dad. Now he is very proud of me and the artist I have become. I am extremely glad that I have won him over. I hope that I can get him to start art himself, i think that after a while, he would become rather good at it. My brothers and sister were always supportive of me and my art. For this I am thankful. They have even begun to draw to understand me even more.

Minoru LaVerite
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 PM

It seems as if the whole 'art as a career' thing is most unpopular because of the starving artist image that people get into their heads. ^^;;;

Heirii
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-25-2008, 02:24 AM

it depends on the mood of my mom i guess...and my dad just acts like he cares but he doesn't really:stare:. but yeah over all my family has been saportive but my friends support me better:hug:

Miss Icicle
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-26-2008, 03:51 PM

My parents don't care about my art. xD;;; And we have the same parents! :rofl:

fl3ur de lis
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to fl3ur de lis

Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 PM

My parents hate my art. T_____T;;

They're pretty radical [in a bad way] Christians
and think art is "bad" or "evil"--
therefore, they especially hate my graffiti-esque art
[see my Art album on my profile?]
which sucks, because I have the most fun drawing those D:

Therefore, I always have to hide anything I draw,
so I just store it on DeviantArt and Photobucket 8D

Minoru LaVerite
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-28-2008, 12:01 AM

DDDD:

That's horrible! Well, at least I'm not alone with the 'hiding my art' thing. xD;;;

Your art album is so pretty!! The graffiti-esque art is really cool. 8D

Sequined Messengers
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-28-2008, 06:07 PM

my parents are totally supportive, as my mum is an artist herself, and they both know it's the thing I love most.
I want to go to art college to study fashion design when I finish school, and my parents have never discouraged it.
I can't imagine myself doing anything else for a living, art is basically my life, and I'm glad my parent sknow that.

Silhouette
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Silhouette

Old 05-29-2008, 03:09 AM

My parents have always been supportive of my drawing and painting since I was young. I've seen practiced over the years and am close to graduating college with a degree in Painting. They know it's a difficult path but they never discouraged me from it.

I think it's due in part to having artists and musicians in my family. I'm thankful for the support.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 PM

My parents do not at all like the idea that I paint. They not only do not support me, but discourage me from it, saying it is a waste of my time. I've been grounded for "wasting time" before. Right now, when my father comes over, I mass clean and hide everything. Otherwise he would yell at me and freak out at me about how I'm not concentrating hard enough on school and how I'm a horrible son blah blah. -_-'

Maybe it is a slight waste of time, because I will never amount to anything awesome in art; just average...but it is my way of relieving stress and making a few bucks on the side to pay bills and buy food. He doesn't understand that though. =/ So right now, still hiding brushes and paints.

It just sucks cause it means every time he comes over, there's only a few paintings I can save, since I don't have a ton of space. I've thrown away a few that I just started before, because I've had to pick and choose what to keep and hide, and what to toss. His stupid random visits have set me back on commissions before.

My father burned a few of my paintings when I was in high school. One of them I really liked and it had a lot of personal meaning behind it. I'm still annoyed with him for it. But meh. -_-'

Minoru LaVerite
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-31-2008, 08:32 PM

D: You serious? But your art is so amazing!! ;__;

Shelbyrockin
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-02-2008, 04:34 AM

My parents are fairly supportive of my art. They let me draw when I want to and buy me sketchbooks and copy paper when I run out. I get a little embarrassed if they look sometimes, but they usually don't bring it up too much. Guess they just know me enough to get that I feel uncomfortable when they comment.

The only thing they dislike is when I'm on the computer a lot. Being a mostly digital artist, I normally spend a lot of time on the computer. That sometimes gets them worried, and I usually end up stopping in the middle of a piece because I haven't realized the amount of time I've been drawing. >.<

xlightwingx
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-02-2008, 03:24 PM

My parents generally don't care much... they buy me all the supplies i need though =D
My mom doesn't like me drawing anime much...

Dreamii
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 AM

Woah...that's like my life. My mom doesn't live with us anymore...she's not dead! but she and my dad are divorced...TT 3TT Last year my dad kept getting angry cause I never payed attention at school and just drew, my teacher told my dad then I got into trouble... My sister is a great drawer, but now I am a huge level higher than her! YAY! LOL X3 She still supports me though! <333 My mom never saw my drawings, but I know her personality, she'll love it because it's from her daughter...<333 If my evil cousin, my step uncle, and my aunt heard what had happened last year then, would tell me to stop drawing...! It's not their choice it's mine... My dad is like your dad too... but if someone tells you to stop drawing, it's your choice not theirs, you have your own life and they have their own life, just follow of what you think is right! :3