araceli_dasi

Old 08-09-2008, 10:41 PM

My mother use to do art and then one day she bought a lot of art supplies and I got really into painting and drawing. She is supportive of me taking art classes and spending my time painting, but she mostly cares about my grades in school and my future career as a chemical engineer. When I told her I wanted to go to a liberal arts college she said that there is no future in that and she wouldn't help me. She appreciates all forms of art and always criticizes any brush stroke or color that i use. She's pretty harsh with art because she thinks she can do better than me, but at least she lets me paint for fun.

Cheese-sama
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-10-2008, 04:29 PM

My parents are very supportive.
I don't have alot of money but when we get spare cash my mom will buy me some supplies.
I"m not that good, but I"m getting better.

IndiGlo
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-13-2008, 04:57 AM

My parents are kind of "meh" about it all. My Mom will compliment me and all, but essentially she just doesn't get it. She would probably support me more if I was actually passionate about it (I lack passion in everything). My Dad pretty much doesn't care, although he does support the fact that I'm creative....in hope I become a designer (technology/architecture) of some sort. Namely because he is a firm-ware engineer and as a hobby a kind of carpenter, a all around Mr. Fix-It.
But if I choose to go into the field of Mechanical design, then they will let me minor in art.
^ ^

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 AM

Surprisingly, art is becoming more and more a lucrative career these days.

Artists are becoming more and more independent, producing on their own or under a label.

There are even people seeking them out to have them illustrate for their books and what not.

Not to mention some big names in the education scene are starting to believe that it's time to make learning more visually toned so it's easily absorbed.

Advertising. Fashion Design. Web Construction.

There are so many careers you can choose in if you go for the visual arts.

Actually during the beginning, my family wasn't supportive.

They didn't consider my anime and manga influenced art as art and told me to go into realism so I can earn more money since anime/manga is just child's play. As I got older, I realized that there is more to what they just simply called as 'Japanese cartoons' than kiddie stuff.

I wouldn't call La Blue Girl or Akira kiddie at all. xD;

I can still vividly recall a sister tell me to take up lessons to draw like this young artist -my age- who is able to paint and is nationally renowned. Little did I know, I eventually became her classmate for the four years in HS.

Nowadays, I draw on/off... Mostly off. I just don't feel like myself enough.

Though they have now accepted -no choice- that I do draw and I will always draw.

It's a part of me.

But you know?

Mom doesn't approve of me wanting to venture into HRM -hotel and restaurant management- xD; She says it's not lucrative enough. I'd just end up a waitress.

But I want to learn the art of top notch service, wine and good food!

-rolls-

Looped
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-29-2008, 07:05 PM

My parents are quite supportive. My mother enjoys painting and even though she can't live off it she hasnt told me I shouldnt try and my dad says it doesnt matter WHAT I become as long as I become something and try my best at it.

Allucard
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-21-2008, 05:07 AM

The sense I get is that they couldn't care less whether I do it or not, but they wish I'd get a job.

Never mind the fact that it can BE a job. I don't think they have any faith or trust in me, whatsoever. Which, I guess makes sense, from what they know.(I avoid talking to them or sharing with them whenever possible)
But it would be nice if they weren't trying to pressure me into doing anything but what I want.

*rants for a very long time about this*

Yeah, so, anyway... no. My parents are not supportive of me. They're supportive of my siblings. And anyone else who wants a "real" job. Or a "normal" life. You know, just like they have. Centered on children and money and luxury. But not too much, just enough so you know you'll never starve. Probably.

But not supportive of anything like art or freedom or dignity or a whole host of other things I actually want.

luciole
*^_^*

Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 AM

It was weird. My parents met and trained at art school, and I grew up in an artistic environment. While they liked me to draw on the side, they never wanted me to be a professional artist. A doctor or lawyer ors omething is ideal. They didn't support me going to art college, but caved eventually when I had the support of relatives who knew it is my real passion. I guess they loved me enough to not want me to go into a 'tough' career.
But now I'm doing a major in illustration and (I think) doing well, they take a great interest in where I'm going and what I'm doing. I love em <3

NorthWRGirl203
The wonders that she holds......

Old 12-21-2008, 07:31 AM

Yes, they are but sometimes too much.
It's weird to explain
I think they try to hard is what I mean
They don't understand me when I talk about Manga or Anime and I think they feel bad
So art is the next best thing I guess
If they like it or not I'm not sure sometimes
I don't want to make them feel bad about having intrests that don't involve them but they seem to be trying too hard with my passion for art
Like my mom will constantly ask if I want to send it to a show or if I want to enter it in a contest
Sometimes they don't even act like my parents
It's a weird feeling but hope they get over it...

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Hooby grade wrok? fine...When I wanted to go to art scholol that was a strict no no.
I was no allowed to take it any further, do it on my own.

Limonite

Old 12-24-2008, 11:02 PM

I'm not sure, they've never helped me to buy art supplies that I need, but I had to buy most of it for study purposes anyways. At first they didn't believe that I could have a future in the artistic lane, but they know that I really want to and they can't really force me into anything else.

Bii
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 AM

My parents think I have traced everything that I have ever drawn. Not true. At all.

Sindyr

Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 AM

My parents have always supported my art. When I was six or seven my dad helped me write and illustrate a short story about my little sister. They've always given me art supplies and paper to draw on, and even got me a scanner to put my drawings online. Then I discovered digital art and they like looking at what I can do with Photoshop.

The biggest thing I think they've done is just support me and encourage me to work harder. I took a number of art classes in high school and a couple in university, and they really liked to see what I made in those. While I really love digital art, traditional art will always hold a special place for me and my parents because it's where I really got started. A lot of my art supplies are from my parents or relatives.

MurasakiCrown
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 12-31-2008, 04:05 AM

My parents were apprehensive about my career choice, and so were a few staff members at my school. They said that my intelligence would be wasted in art school, which made me pretty angry. Needless to say it took some coaxing for them to understand my point of view. The only reason my grades were so good in high school was so I could get into the college of my choice. Which I did.

Now they say they'll support me in whatever I do, but initially, they kept telling me to do things which they perceived to be more economically sound.

DemonicFreak
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 PM

My parents were never really supported my art.Of,course I never showed them much of it to them or anyone else becasue I didn't think they were good enought.But when I showed my parents,well my mom, something she'd say it was nice or just keep practicing.When I show my dad he just ignores it and says it's nice. >.< Not very good support if I want to go into the drawing career.But I'm more into painting and I'm good at that and never show my parents.

diamondt
Entertain me. Be unique. I chall...
Send a message via MSN to diamondt

Old 01-01-2009, 02:23 PM

hmmm, my mom likes my art, and so does my brother, my father doesnt really get me. as long as my grades are higher than a D my parents are happy. I wouldnt like drawing as my career though, i mean, drawing for money isnt fun anymore... drawing people as a present is :)

Benni Silverymoon
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 PM

My father doesn't really care - at times he sees me as a kind of rival who's taking away his title as "the family artist", but else he mostly ignores my puny scribbles. ;)

My mother on the other hand is far TOO supportive. She always tries to encourage me to send in both my visual and my written art, which is ridiculous, since 90% of the hobby artists you meet online are way better than I am.

But other than that I never had any problems while I was still living with my parents. I was encouraged to keep up drawing, and my father even taught me a technique or too and I always had all the supplies I was in need of, so I'ld say: Yes, quite supportive.

Actually, I don't get parents that try to keep their children from doing artsy stuff. Isn't is something to be proud of, when a child has the courage, talent and/or dedication for being an artist?

Koari
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 AM

Well hmm...I don't show my parents my art, but while I draw I seem them peeking at it a lot of times. I wish they would just say something!
Thankfully my mom was all one day, "That girl is crooked!" ...Like I drew her slanted. Hahah. Well they do comment it though when they see my art and if I let them. I remember a year or two ago I threw away this whole stack of drawings into the recycle bin outside and later my mom came in and was asking me why I was throwing them away, that I should keep it! I told her, "It wastes space! I don't want it!"
But now I regret it...I'd like to have known what I used to draw likeee. D:
They don't mind that I draw though. I know that. ~ O

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-02-2009, 04:12 AM

I think it's a bad idea to throw every piece away. Maybe some of us are making a mistake by keeping so much...HOWEVER if you are going to go on a throwing away spree...At least do some 'weeding*" of your work. Toss your work that looks the most hobbyist and keep the best. I dunno about the rest of you, but I have used my existing work to build on. AND if you have a light table, you can paper clip your drawing to a new piece of paper and edit out what you don't like while keeping what you like.

*Weeding is what I call it when I sort my work by quality. Like a quality control issue.

Tanamoril
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-03-2009, 08:06 AM

My parents are kind of quietly supportive in some ways, but quite cynical at the same time. I', actually at university studying English, but I'm minoring in studio art. I don't really get any feedback from my parents one way or the other about how they feel about this, though conversations about what happens after uni never seem to involve art. Also, a lot of my art is non-traditional. I'm doing some work in conceptual, audio, and video art (different from film), so when I describe projects to my parents (or most other people, really), they get a sort of baffled and skeptical look on their faces. "you got marks for collecting socks?!??" Anyway. My mother's parents didn't support her art aspirations and forced her into the sciences, and she seems to regret this, but can't really see any kind of career for me in the arts. So I would say that my parents do not support my art habit, but they do not try and undermine it either. They just avoid the subject, for the most part.

kitko-chan

Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 AM

well my mom loves to look at anything im drawing.
shes never been picky about what kind of career i take wether it be in art or something more towards doctor.
and really i believe i care more about the grades i get then my mother does xD
any time i do bad she allways says "its okay ull be able to pull it back up"
i think im more less suportive then my mom is :C

and then it also helps that my granny is an artist so any time she comes over my mom is allways going "oh! show granny something you have draw on the computer!"
so i usually do (i only show her the good ones of corse xD)
and i have even gotten my grandmother... a person who paints backgrounds and ppl... to actually want a pen tablet :C
shes allways saying how she needs one of those things and that ill have to show her how they work bahaha

so yes i would say that even my whole family is supportive of me =)
and seriously... i dont see y they wouldnt be
all of u with parent who don't want u doing anything art related, or don't want u to go to school for it...
tell them off. i mean jeez whats so good about the career they have?
don't they remember how their parents probably disscoruaged them?
follow your dreams, and no matter what anyone else says u can chose any career you want =)

Huffie
Sa Tonkiki, sa Tonkinoise~

Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 AM

I think I must be very lucky, not only are my parents so supportive of my art, they're both artists themselves. ^_^;; My mother went to art college, and mostly does realism, and my father is a poet. : D They even both have deviantART accounts! ^////^

Coquette
*^_^*

Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 AM

It depends if i drew or painted something for a school project, or drew anime/manga characters in my free time. both of my parents greatly appreciate my traditional non-cartoony art (with the exception of one piece; the android tima from metropolis). They think it's beautiful, and like to show it off to friends, even frame it and put it on the wall. however, this isn't the case with cartoons. my mother hates that, but my dad is really indifferent. she says things that aren't quite nice about what i draw (and i don't just mean ugly). Other people appreciate it though, and i do, so i'm not afraid to say i'm a pretty decent artist.

Wildfirev
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 AM

My parents are against me doing anything that could be remotely artistic. Be it drawing, writing, designing or what have you. They seem to think there's no "real" money in it.

Meanwhile if I went into what they wanted me to go into.. I'd probably have been laid off by now because of the economic crisis.

I wish my parents were more supportive of my artistic endeavors, but they're extremely old fashioned and believe artists are only a step above hippies... if they're lucky.

IEROween

Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 AM

My parents weren't very supportive , they didn't want me to follow some art lessons in school first. Now I can but I don't because I'm a bit worried about my future then.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM

My mom was so supportive of my older sister drawing she let her draw on her bedrrom walls. We live in an apartment now, but she still loves even my crappiest drawings. :)