TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 03-27-2019, 04:47 AM

D'awww, baby ratties~

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 03-28-2019, 06:42 PM

Rats are so cute :D
We used to have lab rats in middle school!

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 03-29-2019, 07:24 AM

I never went to middle school, so if we had lab rats I never saw them X'D

Back when I was in kindergarten there was a pair of class guinea pigs or rats, and every weekend a different student took them home and took care of them. Don't remember if that student was me a few times, but given my pet allergy probably not....

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 03-29-2019, 05:08 PM

Aww.

As much as I loved the pets we had in middle school, I don't think pets belong in schools. :( Not unless teachers are trying to teach kids about how to care for animals.

We had three chinchillas, one snake, two lab rats, three guinea pigs and a turtle.

Unfortunately, middle schoolers are not the most "gentle" people. :( We had one kid kill one of the chinchillas, it was an "accident" but at the same time, he was purposely chasing and trying to "scare" the chinchilla. It ran near his feet and he wasn't looking and he stepped on it and killed it.

And every summer, the school would allow children to take a pet home to care for them until school started again. Which, was not good because most of the kids who brought animals home didn't have the slightest clue to care for the animal they brought home, you know? Like, they didn't go home with a special cage for the animal(s), they weren't given food that the animal eats...

It was just a mess! And the poor animals suffered for it :(

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 03-30-2019, 05:48 PM

at my private school, we had 2 doves, a guinea pig (well, 2, but not at the same time), and suckerfish living in a tank infested by snails (they cleared the infestation but some sentimental kid wanted to leave one snail and!! wouldn't you know it that sucker reproduced asexually! ahaha). it worked out well since there were only about 10 students in the upper elementary section, which is where they kept the pets. we were all from 4th-6th grade, but everyone was really nice with the animals, i think it's just bc the small class size made it so the teacher could always be watching.

i really think kids should only be allowed to have pets if their parents are also dedicated to taking care of the thing, or at least can spend a month or two learning and teaching their kid how to properly care for the pet. my poor fish and hamsters had the saddest lives, their cages were tiny, i never cleaned them enough, the hamsters never got snacks in addition to their mix food or any roam time outside the cage, and i never held them because they always bit me. so i really wanna make things right with my rats. it's only 2 rats, but i got them the deluxe 4-platform critter nation cage so that they really have room to roam around. and they're gonna get at least an hour a day outside of the cage, and lots of good healthy snacks.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 04-02-2019, 06:09 AM

Get 'em a li'l ball to run around in~