Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 AM

Welp, I might as well share an avatar I made for another site, which was based primarily on Victorian funerary monuments (a la Blink) which I have a particular interest in, but also the Nike of Samothrace.

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 AM

That's really creepy! xD -tries not to Blink, as the image of an angel IS an angel-

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 AM

zeapear - Oh, same, I haven't seen a thing before 2005. I just don't want to include one-off villains in my "which is scariest?" Granted, the Weeping Angels have shown up twice now.
The Judoon are weeeird! :lol:

Biggles - Brb screaming

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 AM

[Cherry] -highfives- Yay for both not seeing old doctor Who!
Aw, they talk so cool~ xD

Random; who's your favourite Doctor? Mine's David Tennant. Matt Smith is starting to grow on me though ^^

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 AM

I'm not gonna be on for much longer...

until then, let the nerdiness rule!

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 AM

-puts on geeky glasses and does the 'Drunk Giraffe'-

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 AM

I would have to agree. I think the more recent two are my favourites. But I never have been able to watch the older version all the way through. Just too corny. However! Here's a fun fact for you: In one of the older episodes, there is a scene in an art gallery, and John Cleese is part of the goings on!

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 11-02-2010 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: ok, so my memory ain't what she used to be...

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-02-2010, 06:51 AM

Zeapear - FO! SHO! BRO!
Ha. See what I did there. >>

My favorite is a tie between David Tennant's and Matt Smith's. I really love David Tennant's, and I was getting so bummed as I approached the part in the show where he left. I was really prepared to completely hate Matt Smith's, but he's just so adorable (I don't mean "OMG HE'S PRETTY," I mean easy to adore), I couldn't. I love them both. I just wish David Tennant didn't have to go in order for us to have Matt Smith. :gonk: Not that I think there should be two Doctors, mind.

Biggles - You don't say! Was this before his Python fame, I take it?

And here's another point of discussion before I go to bed... Do you think the Doctor might love Amy just a liiiiittle bit?

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 AM

No, I don't believe it was. I think it was just a fun sort of cameo they arranged. I got ridiculously excited when I spotted him.

Looooook what I found on youtube:

Edit: Yeah, he's sporting the Basil Fawlty look, so it must be after Python.

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 11-02-2010 at 06:56 AM..

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:54 AM

[Cherry] I see what you did thar. :B

Yeah, David Tennant was amazing and I cried when I first saw Matt Smith, like you I was in the mindset that he was going to be really bad but once the series started to et a little more interesting I began to like him more ^^

Hmm, I think he might have. I think he likes all of his companions but he chooses not to break their hearts :heart:

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 AM

@ zea: You're not the only one who felt that way. I love David Tennant's portrayl of the Doctor as a hyperactive Time Lord! Then again, Matt builds on that portrayl quite a bit, and quite well.

I'm slowly but surely falling in love with him.

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 AM

[Taiyo] Yeah, Matt first came off as a bit of a lunatic (in a bad way, that was when I saw the end of The End of Time, part 2) but he is slowly embettering his image ^^ (I know 'embettering isn't a word'...)

I feel like I'm just repeating everyone else... xD

Today I was reading 'The Brilliant Book of Doctor Who' and I found a page on how to do the Drunk Giraffe, it was hard xD

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 AM

There was an article in BBC History magazine about the coming of Matt Smith. I wish I could remember the details. It talked about the mixed feelings, as I recall.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 AM

Biggles - Ohh, yeah, that kind. I would be too! I get excited when I correctly identify people.
That scene's good. :lol:

zeapear - Oh, of course he likes them all. I mean a bit of romantic love. I mean, he's being a complete gentleman and is pushing her towards Rory (glad to see Rory isn't becoming another Mickey), but sometimes the way he interacts with her makes me wonder.

The only thing that I don't understand about the 11th Doctor (I'm not going to say Matt Smith's in this case because it's due to the writing, not Smith's acting) is how he's suddenly lost all knowledge of human social norms. The 10th was very good at blending in when he needed to, but then with the 11th you have The Lodger where The Doctor comes off as though he's never been on Earth before in his life.

Unfortunately, I must go to bed now. D: But I shall return to continue in the discussion tomorrow! :D

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 AM

Same here. Night night!

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 AM

Ah, I found the article. It's called "Time Lords don't always get better with age." I'll re-read it tonight, and paraphrase tomorrow, yes?

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Flavored Antacid View Post
Zeapear - FO! SHO! BRO!
Ha. See what I did there. >>

My favorite is a tie between David Tennant's and Matt Smith's. I really love David Tennant's, and I was getting so bummed as I approached the part in the show where he left. I was really prepared to completely hate Matt Smith's, but he's just so adorable (I don't mean "OMG HE'S PRETTY," I mean easy to adore), I couldn't. I love them both. I just wish David Tennant didn't have to go in order for us to have Matt Smith. :gonk: Not that I think there should be two Doctors, mind.

Biggles - You don't say! Was this before his Python fame, I take it?

And here's another point of discussion before I go to bed... Do you think the Doctor might love Amy just a liiiiittle bit?
Yes, I just wish the Metacrisis Doctor could come back from Pete's World sometime. That way we could still have David Tennant without taking the show away from Matt Smith, because, as you said, he is quite easy to adore.

But no, I never saw anything in either the writing or in Matt's demeanor toward Amy that would suggest that his character loves her in any way.

P.S. Aaaaaah, TOTALLY just realized what it was you did there. Haha. Now I'll never be able to hear someone say "fo sho" again without thinking of the Judoon. ^_^

Last edited by Lost in Austen; 11-02-2010 at 10:47 AM..

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 11-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Ahhh I go to sleep and there are pages and pages to read..! Hello to all the new people and welcome, glad you found this place!

I have to say I think the Doctor loves all his companions in different ways so I would have to strongly disagree with you, Lost. He definitely loves Amy a lot, even if it's not romantic love. I think it is very strong platonic love and that with Rose, the feelings got stronger than he was used to, which made him feel very confused about his feelings with her.

Anyway, need to run to uni, took me way too long to read all of the thread so can't reply to some of the points I wanted to..

Though Cherry, I saw your picture somewhere on the forums the other day and it made me laugh! I was going to ask you to come join our regular thread but I think I then got distracted by the event or something.. but I'm glad you found it here. :)

Insomniac
Janitor
Administrator

Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljosberinn View Post
I think it is very strong platonic love and that with Rose, the feelings got stronger than he was used to, which made him feel very confused about his feelings with her.
But the doctor left his human clone with rose. Being human the clone was able to abandon his time lord duties and be open to her about his feelings.

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM

Hey Inso, didn't know you liked Doctor Who! :) And yeah, exactly.. the human clone would be able to work out what his feelings were while the Doctor couldn't, because of all his issues (for example the no aging thing, different species, etc.) and duties as a Time Lord.

Mmm, breakfast. :drool:

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Scribbled Lore Send a message via MSN to Scribbled Lore Send a message via Yahoo to Scribbled Lore

Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM

A clone is a poor substitute for the real deal, if you ask me. I don't like how easily Rose was able to transfer her feelings for the Doctor from the real Doctor to the clone.

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-02-2010, 04:57 PM

ljos: I meant romantic love toward Amy. Of course he loves her, but does he love-love her?

Scribbled: I'd take a clone Doctor over no Doctor whatsoever. ^_^

Hey, Inso! :hug:

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Hello, Inso.

Report: So basically. The article started off with the mentioning the grumblings the announcement that Matt Smith was taking over produced. It specifically highlighted the fact that at 26, he was the youngest doctor ever. Apparently long time fans were worried this would alter the dynamic of the show. The bulk of the article then goes on to talk about the maturity expected (and often enough found) of young people in earlier periods in history (it is BBC History magazine, after all.) Medieval kings of England and Alexander the Great were prominent examples given.

hillary84
(・・^...
Penpal
Send a message via MSN to hillary84 Send a message via Yahoo to hillary84

Old 11-02-2010, 05:16 PM

:squee:Yay! A Doctor Who Thread! I've been looking for one here. Sorry I got too excited . Sometimes my inner nerd feels the need to show herself.

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Biggles: That's really interesting!! Alfred the Great was only about 22 when he became king, wasn't he?

hillary: Welcome to our hangout!! Feel free to talk about anything here, whether it be 'Who- related or not. And when the event ends, we have a year-long thread in the Nations forum.