Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-10-2008, 02:47 PM

What was your favorite book to read (or have read to you) when you were little? Did you even like books then?

At age 3, I was already reading lots of books. I liked the Amelia Bedelia books. What a mixed-up maid! My dad used to read them to me when I couldn't sleep, but then I learned how to read on my own.

Cherish
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-10-2008, 04:27 PM

I've always loved books, my parents used to read to me and my brothers a lot, and they taught me to read by the time I was 3.
I used to really love Enid Blyton (sp?) especially The Far Away Tree and The Wishing Chair ones.
I also really liked anything by Beatrix potter, and The Hobbit, and this one book that was about a rabbit that wore a blue dress, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or who it was by.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 08-10-2008, 05:17 PM

My favorite childhood book was The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.
Pretty good. I hated the captain. I was so glad when he got his. xD

Sagitar
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM

I was quite a horse fan when I was little, so I read many books about horses, fantasybooks mostly.. they were my favorites at one point, but then again I still have a big book about the wonders of nature xP I got it when I was 9 or something.. it's awsome :3
and also, another book called "Dinotopia" :D it's a fantasy book about a guy who lands on an island that's filled with dinosaurs and people living in harmony.. it was very cool when I was a kid ^^ I've read it many times.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM

@Cherish: I remember reading Peter Cottontail. A great book for young readers.

@Jaina: You bet! Captain Jaggery was not a nice fellow. The ending kinda lost me, though. @.@ I don't even understand why Zachariah (sp?) was there.

@Sagitar: I know someone who likes horses a lot. I like Black Beauty. Did you read that one?

Tamerthanthou
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Tamerthanthou

Old 08-10-2008, 08:47 PM

[size=1]I absolutely adored The Balloon Tree by Phoebe Gilman when I was younger. I think I still have a copy on my shelf, actually!!

It's just such a cute story and I really loved the drawings. It even led me to my later love of fantasy thanks to the fact that a princess heroine saved her kingdom from her evil uncle with a single balloon and the aid of a wizard. Come on! That's every girls dream!

Cemetery
Mene Penpal

Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 PM

My favriote books where the classic disney stories, like lion king, snow white.. Cinderella. and all that.

Dynamite
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-11-2008, 12:37 AM

I always had a soft spot for The Velveteen Rabbit...though my FIRST favorite childhood book was the Three Billy Goats Gruff...

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 AM

I don't have the The Velveteen Rabbit book, but I have the game. Basically, it's coloring pages, the story as seen in the book, and games involving it.

My first books were very large and my dad would help me read them. I have many very dear memories of that.

Michy Lea
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Michy Lea Send a message via MSN to Michy Lea Send a message via Yahoo to Michy Lea

Old 08-11-2008, 06:43 AM

My favorite childhood book was Love You Forever. I don't remember the author's name at the moment, and I'm too lazy to go to my room and see... It's a really cute book. It goes through a guy's life with his mom. It shows how things change, but in ways, they always stay the same. Like when he's a baby, his mom rocks him to sleep, saying "I'll love you forever. I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." And even through his teenager years and all, she'll rock him in his sleep, saying it to him. Then, at the end of the book, it's the man rocking his mom and saying it to her. It's a really cute book. I used to check it out of my elementary school's library all the time. Then, a few years ago, I saw it at Walmart for like $5 and bought it.

Edit:
@Dynamite: I loved the Three Billy Goats Gruff! My mom has this incredibly thick book of fairy tales, and that's always been my favorite fairy tale from it.

Oh, also, there was this other book I loved in elementary school. I think it was called This is the House that Jack Built or something like that. I don't really remember any specifics about it just that I loved it. Well, maybe it wasn't a book just in a book. You can read it here.

Last edited by Michy Lea; 08-11-2008 at 06:50 AM..

Madoka
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Madoka

Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 AM

I remember being read The Chronicles of Narnia when I was little.
I don't remember the actual books, but I know they were read to me.
I also liked the Angelina Ballerina books and The Velveteen Rabbit, The Black Stallion.
And, of course, your typical nursery rhymes/fairy tales.
I also had this book of Greek mythology when I was in first grade.
I don't know how I started reading that book, but I remember my teacher called my mum and wondered at me carrying such an advanced book around. xD I could read it, and did read it cover to cover many times. Apparently 6 year olds aren't supposed to read that well? I have no idea, but my parents tell that story all the time.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 AM

Hrm...tough one. I liked Beatrix Potter books as a kid. Anything with cute drawings of animals appealed to me.

At the moment, my favourite picture book is one called Just Another Ordinary Day. The text describes an ordinary day but the pictures are hilariously exaggerated.

There's also another book called The Lost Thing, I really like the drawings in the book, although I often wonder if there's some hidden message in it. Its a simple story, but it makes me think a bit, kinda like the way Hideki and Chi in Chobits were deep in thought about the meaning behind the city with no people.

MistressVampFreek
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM

I can't remember the name of this book, but it was bout a dog baby sitting a baby. And the baby get's into all sorts of trouble, and the dog cleans up the messes, and the baby. The book didn't have words, just pictures, you know one were you make up the story in your head. I would make new stories, hour after hour. I loved that book! I havn't seen it since I was like, or at least five. Maybe four? :? Now you made me, make myself get conuzzleds! :illgetu:

jupiter
inactive account

Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 PM

There was this picture book of Beauty And The Beast that had my name in it, and I loved it.
My grandmother would read it to me, and I would get excited whenever she said my name in it.

And then my favourite book soon after came to be a chapter book by Christopher Pike.

addicted to sin

Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 AM

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, hated the movie but I loved the book, as well as through the looking glass.
I loved Alice's outfit as well as all the characters, which I imagened far darker then intended (thank the Nightmare Before Christmas for giving me a morbid imagination at age 3 and on) So I just loved the characters and later fell in love with the book again because of its theme of madness which is a big + when it comes to reading books for me lol dos that make me weard? Guese that doesn't matter anyways Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass all the way~ :3

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 PM

when i was little i liked all books but ones that stick out in my memory were (also) Amelia Bedelia, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books and the Chicken Noodle Soup with Rice (i think that was the title) i read all those when i was little and then Nickelodeon Magazine lol

Insanity Rose
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-15-2008, 04:04 PM

When I was a girl, my mom read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe to me, as well as Charlotte's Web and Five Little Peppers and How The Grew. When I was around 12, my favorite books were The Hobbit and also Fellowship of the Ring. Come to think of it, that part hasn't changed much. :-)

Cherry_Doll
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-16-2008, 07:49 AM

My favorite books back when I was a kid were always books that had to do with animals. Normally horses, but I did find one book that I could never bring myself to stop reading(after I learned how to read) It was "Only One Woof" A cheap book I got from a gift store in Big Bear, but it was nothing short of amazing<3

Neko Neko Kitty
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Neko Neko Kitty Send a message via Yahoo to Neko Neko Kitty

Old 08-16-2008, 06:25 PM

I've always loved books, when I was first learning to read my favorite was My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes, and I still have it and love it, then when I was a bit older The Giving Tree became another favorite of mine.

fiarra
seeking proof on the roof
Send a message via AIM to fiarra Send a message via MSN to fiarra

Old 08-18-2008, 03:05 AM

My favorite book when I was a kid was "Millions of Cats". I read it aloud in 1st grade when we had to pick a book to read to the class. :)

Snowkoyuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-19-2008, 12:46 AM

Hm.. Mine was really Arthur and Alice in wonderland.
I used to love it when my parents read it to me and when i read them myself. I was a regular book worm. Now I like an anime sort of based off of Alice in wonderland called Pandora Hearts.

Kenric of Firenzword
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 AM

A cousin of mine had a lot of books in his library. When I come over (I was around maybe 7), I liked skimming through this one giant book of fairy tales. It was so huge I could hardly carry it and I could only read it sitting on the floor. It wasn't like any book because its illustrations were really strange (to me then). It looked like it came out of Elfquest, the art was sort of like that, not your usual bright and colorful kids drawings.

I'm not sure if I remember most of the stories though. I just liked the art.

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 08-20-2008, 11:05 PM

I don't remember the book titles that I read or had read to me when I was a kid. I remember "Make Way For Ducklings", "The Story of Ferdinand", "The Velveteen Rabbit" and some other books though.. I remember the story more than the titles. xP

I remember when I was little though I watched lots of TV, maybe PBS stuff.. I watched Reading Rainbow and whatnot. Haha.

lily_dragon

Old 08-20-2008, 11:28 PM

Believe it or not one of my favorite books as a kid was Swiss Family Robinson. Condensed version of course. XD
But of the picture books I'd have to go with the Little Critter series by Mercer Meyer. :3

GrimKusanagi
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to GrimKusanagi

Old 08-23-2008, 02:47 AM

I was always partial to Grimms Fairy Tales.