Koari
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 PM

I <3333333 The Clique by Lisi Harrison! Though the movie is kinda cheesy, I still heart it! It's an ah-mazing book!

There are other books too, but I can't recall them at the moment. ~ I could only remember The Cliquee. :33

OH & HARRY POTTER OF COURSE. HE'S AWESOME. :B

Rabid Rainbow
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-01-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethmire View Post
V for Vendetta ^^

Ahhhh such a great book and movie! I am very big into long and twisted plots with little drama but very deep meaning, thus, politics are the way to go with V for Vendetta! :D
I read V for Vendetta after seeing the movie, and I could hear the hardcore fans giving a collective groan.

I mean, the movie is great by itself, but if you're looking at it as an adaption of the novel...well then it's not quite up to par in my opinion.

But anyways, I hope the Inkheart movie will be close to the book. I love that series, and I would be heartbroken if the movie sucks.

MoonGrave
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-01-2009, 09:26 AM

A favorite book of mine (The Golden Compass) out of a trilogy of some of my all-time favorites (His Dark Materials trilogy, to be exact) was turned into a movie. I never saw the movie and never intend to, as this book shaped my late childhood. I found a Lyra inside of myself (I think there's a Lyra in everyone) and puzzled for hours over what my daemon's shape would be if I had one, so I couldn't bear to see what the end result of the gutting, cannibalization, and piecing together they did. The trilogy made me think and question right and wrong in context of human motives. It helped me reject absolutes in favor of a more accepting viewpoint and forced me to ask myself, "What is human and what makes us that way?" and "What would I give my life to preserve?" Those novels shaped me as a person and I refuse to see what the money-grubbing people in Hollywood did to the first among them. This seems like a bitter post, even emo (ugh, sorry about that), but this is a sore spot for me: I hate it when books are turned into films.

Tanamoril
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 AM

@ Walkyrje: I definitely agree with you about Stardust - the book and the movie are each quite good in themselves, but you can't really equate them. The nice thing about Gaiman is that he works in so many different mediums, so he's worked in film and novel form multiple times. I'm really glad he was part of the writing team for the movie. It was different, but it didn't kill the book the way some movies do.
Interestingly, his book Neverwhere is also a short TV series, but it was a TV series first. (the acting and production quality are pretty awful) I much prefer the book. It succeeds far better than the TV version, especially since the people in my head are much better actors than whoever the BBC hired for most of the parts. There's also a lot more depth and room for fear, etc.

Tanamoril
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 AM

@ MoonGrave:
The Golden Compass was also a very important book to me - still is. I was really apprehensive about going to see the movie version, but it was not as bad as I feared. Not nearly as bad, actually. Of course, it can never compare to what the author and the reader create together, but I find that in order to watch movie adaptations of books, I have to put them in an entirely different space in my head. And in that sense, The Golden Compass is a pretty cool movie. As a translation of Philip Pullman's awesome novel, it naturally falls a little flat. However, Nicole Kidman is eerily perfect as Mrs. Coulter. Not really her face, but she was terrifyingly sweet-evil. Lyra was a little too sweet and not blunt/tough/suspicious enough, but that's Hollywood for you. The actress who played Serafina Pekkala, Eva Green, was also very very close to my vision of her. (although none of the witches were riding cloud-pine boughs . . . grrrrr)
Anyway, whatever my thoughts on the original books, the movie The Golden Compass was visually very beautiful.

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Guivre Send a message via Yahoo to Guivre

Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 PM

I hate to go back in time, but I liked The Black Stallion. You just don't find extended scenes like the beach scene in movies anymore.

I can't think of any other movie that I liked where I had read the book first, atm though.

lavndrdream
*^_^*
Send a message via Yahoo to lavndrdream

Old 01-02-2009, 11:07 PM

@Tanamoril & MoonGrave: While I can understand the deep feelings of almost reverence for a book you have. I have had several that I have read and they spoke to me, I also realize in order to do any book justice, Hollywood just would not be willing to fund it. It goes without saying that any good book made into a movie has to be taken as a separate entity.

I nearly cried when I first saw Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and actually have never sat through another screening (and we are talking nearly 20 years) and probably will never sit through the movie again because of what a poor and horrible job it did. On the same hand, the current remake is much much closer but I can enjoy it because it didn't butcher the book.

Another example is Harry Potter, the first movie followed the book so closely I had to watch it twice because I kept getting bored and falling asleep, while the next couple followed the story, but didn't tackle every little detail like the first.

I suppose what I am saying is, never expect the movie to be anywhere near as good as the book, but enjoy it as a movie on it's own merit.

I also think it's a travesty how many classic and new classic books are being turned into movies. It's almost a conspiracy that they don't want kids to read anymore. Don't read the book, if you wait long enough you can see the movie!

Blech! It makes me sick!

Chaos chaos
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-03-2009, 02:57 AM

The Eoin Colfer books were supposed to be turned into movies, but to my knowledge they never made good on that. It's a shame; I would have liked to have seen it. I guess it would have been a pain for their CG crew, though.

Michy Lea
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Michy Lea Send a message via MSN to Michy Lea Send a message via Yahoo to Michy Lea

Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 AM

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I saw the first movie before I read the books. Right after I saw the movie, I got the books, though. I loved Bailey. I really, really liked The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 movie. It just seemed to have a lot more that went with the rest of the books.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-03-2009, 03:42 AM

Hmm I would have to say The Golden Compass or Eragon...:]

lavndrdream
*^_^*
Send a message via Yahoo to lavndrdream

Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 AM

I just thought of another one:

The Princess Diaries! I am going to have to raid the library tomorrow...argh, so many books so little time!

Celestrya
A Celestial Sprite🌙

Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 AM

Oh I LOVED Stardust. I thought it was beautifully done. Also, The Secret Garden, Harry Potter, Interview with the Vampire, I can't wait to see Coraline. I know theres more but I can't seem to remember...

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guivre View Post
I hate to go back in time, but I liked The Black Stallion. You just don't find extended scenes like the beach scene in movies anymore.

I can't think of any other movie that I liked where I had read the book first, atm though.
I loved both. I'd have to say Black Stallion or The Princess Bride. The movie was true to the book, even when they took out parts. (Which of course, happens for time. Generally, they take out really good parts, unfortunately.)

nummykiwi
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 AM

I loved the Harry potter films
I think they were very well made.:)

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 AM

I thought that The Devil Wears Prada was very well done.

The Harry Potter movies are pretty good also.

They've tried to make movies out of many of the Stephen King novels, most of which are really pretty bad.

One of the best adaptations though was the mini series for The Stand.

XxDark_ElfxX

Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 PM

well lord of the rings was an AMAZING book AND an amazing movie. :) ink heart is also a wonderful book that is about to be made into a movie so i cant wait for that! i also thought twilight was an entertaining book but not a very good movie.

...thats about it...i didnt read pride and prejudice but i thought the movie with keira knightly was darling.

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM

Lord of the Rings was a very good adaptation. I still haven't seen the entire trilogy...but I was totally blown away by the first one.

The A&E presentation (6 hours) of Pride and Prejudice was one of the best adaptations of that book. The Keira Knightley version wasn't that good in my opinion.

*Hime*

Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 AM

Memoirs of Geisha. I saw the movie before I read the book, and though the book was better, the visuals where enthralling :3

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 01-23-2009, 03:42 AM

I Recently finished Coraline by Neil Gaiman. I enjoy the way he just wrote the story, it was childish, but he also used sophisticated words inside each sentence. I cannot wait for the movie to come out, I only read the book because I wanted to see the movie.

Last edited by fiarra; 01-23-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 01-23-2009, 11:05 PM

That would be another good question....

Which do you do.... See the movie and then go read the book, or Read the book, and then go see the movie?

Sometimes I'd rather see the movie first, because when I read a book, I have such a picture in my head of what the characters look like and what they sound like. When I see the movie then, it's usually so different that I hate it.

The Green Mile by Stephen King was different. I haven't yet seen the movie, but I read the book after the movie came out. I knew that Tom Hanks was playing the major role, so as I read the book, I kept seeing Tom Hanks in that role. Actually worked out pretty good.

laustic
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 AM

Lord of the Rings and Pride and Prejudice :)

nirvanarama
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-25-2009, 11:34 AM

My favourite film is Blade Runner, so that would be my favourite, but I'm not sure if the book came after (though I don't think it did), just because the version of the book we have has a picture of the film on the front, and its an old book.

I know its probably typical but I do like Harry Potter. I think its accurate because she chose the cast herself etc. so it must be one of the best movies from a book.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe has to be an all time favourite for me too, I loved that film when I was young and it's still great now, I've not read the book though.

Lord of the Rings film is okay, I enjoyed it because it was a fantasy, and I like to watch it every now and again, but compared to the book it's not as good.

Edit: You've reminded me laustic of the costume dramas. I love them all, the books and the films. Pride and Prejudice is amazing. When I was little me and my mum were watching it and when Colin Firth comes out of the lake I said 'Men look so much better wet don't they?' which had her laughing. I think I was twelve or so :)
I like some versions of Emma and Sense and Sensibility is great! I pretty much love all period dramas, especially Wuthering Heights, though it makes me sad.

Last edited by nirvanarama; 01-25-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 PM

Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson was really good. It also was pretty close to the book.

The Colin Firth adaptation of Pride & Predjudice was great. Colin Firth wet...yikes....mmmm.

Supreme Commander Gavrila
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 AM

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. <3

I loved the Disney movie,
but the book is freaking amazing in comparison. >w<
The book has a completely different story
and the Hunchback is more of a bad guy in the novel than anything
(not to mention he's not a terribly important character
it makes me wonder why it's named after him ...? :/ )

Esmeralda is a freaking bitch in the novel, not to mention Pheobus is completely different!
I couldn't believe how much they changed those two characters! D:
Pheobus is a womanizer that wants to have sex with Esmeralda in the novel,
no good character by any means. Dx

The book and the movie are completely different,
but one thing that makes me very sad is that they didn't include Pierre Gringoire
in the movie! ;__;
He's my fave character! He's just so damn cute! Everything that can ever go wrong with him does! x3
... Nor do they have Clopin Trouillefou with his badass scythe.
The only characters that Disney didn't change was the goat.

In conclusion:
Great movie.
Better book.

apple_eater1313
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 AM

I love to read both book and comics usa/jap. For the books in to movie it would be twilght, inkheart, Romeo and Juilet ( does that count?), howl's moving castle and for the comics now this longer x-men 1and 2, death note 2, the crow, tmnt doomsday, batman, aeonflux. wow they like to take comics and make them in to movies.