Voe
♡영웅재&...
Send a message via MSN to Voe

Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 AM

I adore fanfiction, but only if the characters still uphold the essence of the actual personalities or else the point is completely lost. I've read so many, but I can only count the truly memorable ones on one hand.

jamilee-nicole
*^_^*

Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with fanfiction.

On the one side, I adore it. I can never just leave a series alone, and love to read how people fiddle with it, springing their own stories from it.

On the other, a lot of people are horrible writers. And the more popular a series becomes, the more it attracts horrible writers, who come up with their own characters. I have no problem with original characters. But the characters bad writers come up with are unoriginal characters, AKA: Mary-Sues.

Seriously, take the Vampire Knight fandom. It was relatively small in the beginning, up until it got released in Shojo Beat. Then it steadily gained numbers of the preteen fans, who are known to have IQs in the negative in general. They then stuff fanfiction.net full of their "OMG! New girl at Cross Academy! Paired with every guy I want to bone!"

Of course, in the real summaries they are not quite so literate. The summaries and stories will lack proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar. The Mary Sues names will be laughable, and they will mix up canon characters first and last names, unable to compute the idea that in some place, people can be referred to by their last name only. And plots? What plot? What is this 'plot' you speak of? They have no cenception of a continuing, clever storyline. It is frustrating, really.

But, I admit, there are a number of true gems in that cesspool. And that is what keeps me coming back, looking for that diamond in the rough. These authors you can usually tell by the number of reviews, but not always. Sometimes a Sue-author will get buddies to read and review her story to make it look good, sometimes a brilliant author will be completely overlooked. So you gotta keep a sharp eye out.

Overall, I do love fanfiction. It is a fun and creative way to supplement your fandom. What I do not like about fanfiction is pretty much present everywhere, so I will not allow it to ruin my fun.

Chibes
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 AM

@ Jamilee Yeah I see your point. I love fanfiction but I've read some REALLY bad ones out there.

I'm also anti-au. If you are going to change absolutely everything about a character and their world why not just rename the characters and viola you have your own original fiction.

I'm guilty of not using a plot chart. I just write and the story for me directs itself. Like my story on FF.net Revelations and Discoveries. (A YYH/IY xover) Something told me to make the demon that kills Kagome's mother a dog demon and as I got to that point I realized...hey that was InuYasha. Wow I didn't think that would work. My subconscious knows what it was doing.

I'll do my darnest in my stories to make it as canon as possible. I do have one AU fic but that was when I first started out and it was my first song fic.

I don't have much problem with OC's but my problem is people tend to make them Mary/Gary Sues. And it just makes me want to hate the story. Also major spelling errors and if your stories make no sense I will not read it anymore and write a review pointing it out.

My other issue is that people are too sensitive over their works. A criticism is NOT a flame. Yes there are nicer ways to criticize a work but if they are pointing out legitimate flaws people need to take it into stride.

Outside of my criticisms I love crossovers that manage to keep in canon of each series. Preferably InuYasha with another series. Just because I know InuYasha best.

blitzy
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM

I'm a fan of Fanfiction.

There are good ones and bad, but you can steer clear of the bad ones. I'm a bit of a comic book geek but I find at times the comics will go off in directions I don't like so I stop reading them for a bit and read fanfics while I'm waiting out the events in comic book land. The ones I find myself reading more often are stories that could be side stories, stories that wouldn't actually mess up the timeline of the actual book or series. LIke the adventures or moments they don't show us but may have occured.

Suzhi Mix
Master of Leprechauns
Send a message via MSN to Suzhi Mix

Old 11-05-2009, 01:56 AM

One of the best stories I've ever read was a fanfiction.. It was back in the good years of quizilla, before it changed and got infested with kids. Maybe someone else has read it?? it was called 'I hate vampires'.. though it's not there anymore :cry: I would pay a lot to get to read that one again.. so amazingly good..

jamilee-nicole
*^_^*

Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 PM

@Chibes- I guess we disagree on AUs then. I love AUs, they bring fresh perspectives to the stories, and sometimes new twists and plots.

How cool would it be to read a vampire story, where all the vampires are changed to werewolves? Or take Inuyasha and possibly place it in the USA immediatly following the attack on Pearl Harbor, when Japanese Americans were under attack? Making Inuyasha half Japanese instead of demon, making his dad a deceased US general for a father, and keeping his mom Japanese. So he is still under discrimination, and wants to be recognized as an American by fellow Americans, instead of as a dirty Jap, or half breed. Then put him on a mission. If it is in a world with no shikon no tama, he could be switched up into spy missions in Japan, or something like that, getting aid from his usual group and all that jazz, and Naraku as some kind of double agent, selling US secrets to the Japanese. . . That could actually be pretty sweet, now that I think about it, but I am sure it has been done sooner or later.

Back on the subject, the point is, changing the universe does not mean you have to change the characters, no. But some people do it anyway, in basically any and every type of fanfiction,. Actually, I see that happen a lot more in slash stories. You take the straightest, most manly guy in a fandom, and turn him into an emotional, weak uke. Slashers do it all the time for the sake of slash.

LadyKnightSkye
Now the Mule of Kin-Akari

Old 11-07-2009, 01:53 AM

@ Jamilee: I agree whole heartedly with pretty much everything you said.

FF.net is refered to as "the Pit" by some Transformers fans because of all the mediocre fiction you'll find there. What annoys me is when authors will say "yeah, so I got this idea to have a girl find out about the Transformers" etcetera, and I'm sitting here thinking: You seriously haven't noticed the fifty million other stories with that same premise?!

However, the thing about fan fiction in general is how in some fandoms, someone's crack characterization will some how become the fanon for how a character is supposed to be. For example, there are two characters who I always see portrayed as "pranksters" when in reality (and I fully realize the irony of that statement) one of them is a narssisitic sociopath and the other is a devil-may-care charmer. Neither one would ever stoop to pulling pranks, but because it somehow became popular, that's how they're portrayed. Drives me insane.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm an avid fan fiction writer. I love it, but sometimes my fellow authors and fans can drive me up the wall.

Robard
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 AM

re: AUs, I'm inclined to agree with jamilee-nicole. I've read some that I absolutely loved, because they changed the setting but maintained the relationships, social positions and especially personalities of the characters beautifully: even if the names were changed, they'd still be recognizable as the characters from the original series.

I enjoy fanfiction in general, but I've given up on cesspools like FF.net (except once in a while, for a morbid laugh; maybe it's better for other series but when I went on that site it was mostly to find Harry Potter fic, and I think "mediocre" was kind for most of that)--I mostly read stories written or recommended by a small set of people on LJ. Not as much potential for discovering new authors as on fanfic communities, but much better quality control; I find a lot more stories with good characterization and overall good writing.

It's actually led me to discover some new series, since I want to understand the excellent fic. xD

Morana Ryuu
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 AM

Sometimers I perfer fanfictions to the actual books, I guess mainly because of the creativity of people's imagination, the more creative, the better the fic (in my oppion)

Clarise
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 PM

I have love/ hate relationships with AUs. I think sometimes they work really well, especially for some minor characters.

Sometimes, I agree with Chibes, though. If you're going to drastically change a character and put him with all new OCs, then you could just change his name and have your own original story. I did that once, and I'm glad I abandoned it as a fanfic. It got to the point where I was making all these overly complicated twists to keep him as the same character.

SaetonChapelle
Do not fight with the ignorant. ...

Old 11-08-2009, 08:05 PM

I personally used to really enjoy fanfiction. Seeing my characters go through something that was not addressed in the series, seeing a new adventure unfold before me (when written well) was amazing. I miss waiting at my computer for a new update, eying the screen hungrily for those words I enjoyed so much.

The only fanfictions I have to say I don't enjoy are when the characters are OOC, or they are paired with another character that they would NEVER associate with. I find those who do this mold the character so much that they end up turning the character into someone of their own, and just keeping the persons name attached. It's not the character that I loved and I am so used to. I have to admit, those kind turn me away.

My other frustration is when people decided to enter random Japanese words into fanfictions. People will be speaking in fluent English and suddenly they will utter a random Japanese word. "Oh my god, you are so KAWAII!" Drives me mad. While you are typing in English, you have to assume the character is speaking their native language, there's no reason for you to have to remind me what country they're from. This is even more entertaining for anime/manga where the characters are NOT japanese. (Nothing like German people yelling out "DESU!")

When written well, fanfictions are beautiful and a great piece of work. It's too bad many are overlooked.

sweet windmelody
Cookies is my life!!!!

Old 12-25-2009, 02:33 AM

I love fanfiction. Well more like I am addicted to it. I get to read a different ending from the real book/anime. When something ends with a tragedy I always went there to read a different ending so I don't get the see/read the characters die.

I_live_in_illusens
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-30-2009, 05:55 AM

I love reading fanfiction. Sometimes I get as sad when the fanfiction ends as I do when the book or show ended. That's the sign of a good author.

I've started a few fanfictions of my own. I think writing fanficiton can help several things. For one it's a great way to channel creativity and relax. Also if you're aspiring to be an author it'll help build a fanbase in a way. If the people like your fanfics and on your sight you mention that you've writen an actual book they'll probably be very interested in finding your book.

Demoncat
Unknown species
Send a message via MSN to Demoncat

Old 12-31-2009, 10:04 PM

Some fan fiction can be really well written while others just make you laugh at how it was nothing like the series. Either way I enjoy most fanfictions, and i've made a couple of my own too, but I'm not very good at making my stories long so i stick with short stories. :)

Naiyaraba
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-01-2010, 04:29 AM

i like fanfiction. i tend to read it more than actually books xD
usually stick to certain anime/manga/books.
some of them i find nearly as good if not more so than the actual books etc that it's written about

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 01-01-2010, 06:58 AM

I agree with you Naiyaraba XD Well... sort of. When I was in middle school and high school I read fan fiction religiously. Now-a-days I read it from time to time, but I still read more fanfics than books.

Katurine
Web Warrior for GrailKnights

Old 01-01-2010, 01:39 PM

Some fanfiction are really wonderful, well-thought, well-written, pleasant to read. Some fanfiction is alright, some mistakes here and there, but not that much. Some has potential, but needs editing and betaing. And some just plain shouldn't be there.

I don't like OC fanfiction, especially if said OC is supposed to be paired up with one of the main characters. I like my canon (and some fanon) pairings, thank you. And I'd rather read a one-shot than a multi-chapter, unless it's a series of drabbles or a really well-written story that's not over 15 chapters long. I've seen fanfics that were up to over 50 chapters. That's way too much.

What really annoys me is when people don't pay attention to their timing. I'm not sure how to call it. I mean, for example, when I read a "Labyrinth" fanfic, it feels like the authors often seem to forget that the story took place in the 80s. I understand that some of them might not even have lived then yet, but - hey! You want to write about something you're not so certain about, you do research. Read some old magazines, ask parents.

Last edited by Katurine; 01-01-2010 at 01:43 PM..

sarofset
Jeddak of Helium

Old 01-01-2010, 02:44 PM

I enjoy fan fiction. Most of all I like the fact that there was someone else out there who didn't want to see the series die. It gives you a sense of comradery with the one writing the new story. However i don't like it when people alter the characters personalities. It breaks the fictive dream, and ruins the story for me.

Demoncat
Unknown species
Send a message via MSN to Demoncat

Old 01-02-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katurine View Post
What really annoys me is when people don't pay attention to their timing. I'm not sure how to call it. I mean, for example, when I read a "Labyrinth" fanfic, it feels like the authors often seem to forget that the story took place in the 80s. I understand that some of them might not even have lived then yet, but - hey! You want to write about something you're not so certain about, you do research. Read some old magazines, ask parents.

I know! I've always loved Labyrinth but everytime I go to look for fanfiction they either have no clue about the 80s or they just give up and make a "grown up" Sarah, I've found WAY too many fanfictions with a grown up Sarah, I mean its fine and interesting but the idea is just over used. :/

Annig
Dead Account Holder

Old 01-02-2010, 03:27 PM

I love both enjoy reading and writing fanfiction. It's really great to see how writers display an already existing character.
(I must say though; I'm quite picky XD Stories with bad grammar/spelling/plot are out there in big numbers, but a lot of fics are really fantastic <3)

XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX
Forever Questioning the Unknown

Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 AM

I think it's perfectly acceptable. Seeing that it is another writers spark from the authors series, which make it unique. *raises her hand* I write fanfiction, I think it's fun and a creative way to express your feelings about the characters or actual people.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM

Fanfiction stories are always interesting as other writers give you their perspective and take on the series or story. It's different every time it is written by someone else. It also helps to know just a bit about the author, but a lot can be inferred by someone's writing. I definitely enjoy reading it I must say.

Kilene
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Kilene Send a message via Yahoo to Kilene

Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 AM

I love to read fanfiction...especially on FanFiction.net. I've read many GREAT stories and some stories that were boring. I actually have 2 stories that I wrote...except one of them is still in progress though. But the other one is finished and I was planning on a sequel...but haven't gotten around to it.

I especially like to read fan fiction if it's about my favorite characters..whether they are in the anime section, tv shows section or the movies section.

Bridget Nickels
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 AM

I loved the "Teen Titans" series and was so bummed when it ended! There are a few TT fanfics I've been working on; one's called "Coma", and the other two stories take place at the same time. One is being coauthored with one of my oldest best friends, and the other I'm just writing on my own. It's lots of fun, but the stories have been gathering quite a bit of dust lately. I like working on my novel-in-progress, but occasionally I'll think back to those stories and wonder if I should work on them again...just have a bit of writer's block...but I do enjoy fanfiction...:)

Fable
OH LEO~

Old 01-23-2010, 06:32 PM

I like how people use their crazy imaginations to write really awesome fanfictions. x3 But some people take the story and make it really weird lol. They're pretty interesting to read, though I don't read them that often. I have a cousin who writes some pretty amazing stuff, and I love reading her stories. I'm not a huge fan of the Anime Naruto, but she's written a few fanfictions based on it, and I really enjoyed reading them. Soo, I suppose I like them :3 Of course, I couldn't write a story or anything like it to save my life! xD