Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-02-2009, 03:15 AM

Well, there's a "what is your favorite" version of this, I thought I'd make the opposite. Lets face it, there are some really rotten book to movie conversions out there. So which conversion do you hate the most and why?

I think the worst book to movie I have seen is "Ella Enchanted". It was like they totally disregarded the book, made some super horrible movie and then stuck the title of "Ella Enchanted" on it. It hurt my heart. Ella Enchanted was the first book I had ever fallen deeply in love with.

I have to admit though, the animated Tolkien movie "The Hobbit" was really pretty bad too XD Just not nearly as bad as Ella Enchanted for me.

Miss Macabre
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Miss Macabre

Old 10-02-2009, 04:32 AM

Generally I avoid seeing the movies that go along with books, just to save myself the travesty (unless it looks genuinely good).
However, the worst I have made the misake of watching would be the Eragon movie. The Inheritance series is one of my favourites, but the movie for Eragon was just terrible. It thrashed the plot.

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 AM

I saw that movie and thought it was horrid too. But I haven't ever read the book, so I can't really make the jump to say it was a terrible conversion. Haha. I just look at it from a cinematographic and story stand point and cringe.

Ryohko
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 AM

Oh that's hard for me to decide! I want to say that the 3rd+ Harry Potter movie pissed me off. In my opinion, the first two was really good, but once they replaced Dumbledore with some douche that didn't even look like Dumbledore totally ruined it for me. If they made his beard longer I think I would have been content with the change, but are you serious with tying it up like that? D:

On a side note, I never knew that Ella Enchanted was a book. I loved the movie, but never read the book, so I can't say whether it's a bad conversion or not. xD

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-02-2009, 04:59 AM

On the Dumbledore thing, they didn't have a choice but to switch actors. The original one died, he had cancer or something like that. They knew he was really ill when they brought him on.

But I do agree, HP 3+ were pretty bad. I stopped watching the movies after 4 because they were annoying me XP

Ryohko
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 AM

I knew the reason why they had to switch, but they could have done a better job at switching. I mean like, they could have at least made him look a lot more like the old Dumbledore, or somewhat similar. T_T;

Moxie
Irritated Scientist
Send a message via ICQ to Moxie Send a message via AIM to Moxie Send a message via Yahoo to Moxie

Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 PM

One of the worst Book to Movie conversions I've seen is Hannibal. Sure is had Anthony Hopkins as a brilliant Hannibal, but they completely changed the ending and a lot of the subtext of the plot. Yech. Another pretty terrible conversion was Congo. The book wasn't that great but the movie was positively horrific. There was also the Hitchhiker's Guide tragedy. I think

But I think the one that takes the cake is Jumper by Steve Gould. it was like they took the general idea of the story and nothing else. There was a guy, he jumps. Totally different story. It made me sad because the Jumper books were so fun.

Blkmage Disaster
The Shadow Thief

Old 10-03-2009, 12:24 AM

I'd have to say, Narnia. It just for some reason ruined it for me. I loved the books, the movie just wasn't as good to me. As when I read the books, and the fact that they skipped the magician's nephew both in the cartoon and the narnia movie. :no:

I was more in awe of the books.

The Cheshire Cat
*^_^*

Old 10-03-2009, 03:25 AM

Books that have sucked as movies:

Twilight
Eragon

Darn. I suddenly went blank. Oh well. If I remember, I'll add some.

Ryohko
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-03-2009, 03:38 AM

@Blkmage Disaster: I thought the first Narnia movie was really good. I haven't read Prince Caspian, but the movie for it didn't suit my fancy, which is kind of weird for not reading it. xD;

Another movie that disappointed me was InkHeart. I absolutely hated how the ending went, and I hated how they have ToTo instead even though I liked the idea they had, but I just hated it... The ending was totally wrong. In addition, I didn't like Thr3e very well. I thought the book was way better, but I enjoyed watching it anyways. xD

Scarlett Deny
Heaven's Nemesis
Send a message via MSN to Scarlett Deny

Old 10-03-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheshire Cat View Post
Books that have sucked as movies:

Twilight
Eragon

Darn. I suddenly went blank. Oh well. If I remember, I'll add some.
I completely agree, Eragon was the worst I've seen but Twilight was pretty lame too. Eragon I had gotten so excited about seeing because at the time I'd loved the books.. It was so disappointing to the point of being sickening. :|
'Queen of the Damned' was a great film - one of my favorites, but was also a terrible conversion of the book.. Thankfully I watched the film before reading the book, otherwise I probably would have hated it.

Zero_Hawkins_Yuy
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-03-2009, 07:53 AM

Star Wars, twilight, the True blood, I can't remember the books for it sorry. Resident evil, I love the movies, by itself. But the books are closer to the games and go future then the games. book to movie....was bad. So much more, I knew I should have kept a list of movies that ruined good books. Star Wars books are so much better, so are the games. The older star wars movies were better then the newer ones.

Moxie
Irritated Scientist
Send a message via ICQ to Moxie Send a message via AIM to Moxie Send a message via Yahoo to Moxie

Old 10-03-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Hawkins_Yuy View Post
Star Wars books are so much better, so are the games. The older star wars movies were better then the newer ones.
Well, this would actually be a movie series that got converted to a book series, not the other way around. The movies came first and then people began writing books. So I don't think this really counts as a worst book to movie conversion.

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 PM

@ Moxie - ya, there's that at the the old ones actually won awards I think. But the newer ones were crap, that I'll agree with XD

Atolia

Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Well, most movies are NEVER as good as the original books, but there are some movies that are just horrible compared to books they came from.
I can honestly agree that the Eragon movie was SO MUCH worse than the book. Also, Confessions of a Shopaholic (the book) is one of my favorites, but the movie is well...it just doesn't live up to it's full potential. o.o
Yeah...the Twilight movie could have also been WAY better. :(

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Well I know that. haha. A movie is never going to be exactly like the book from which it's based (it'd never work if it was), but there are movies out there like Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" that were done incredibly well.

But really, no matter how good a movie is, your always going to get grumbling about how it wasn't identical to the book XP

But some movies really deserve the the grumbling XD

Atolia

Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM

Lol, that's very true. :shock:
When I'm watching a movie I normally enjoy it, but as soon as it's over I start comparing it to the book it was based on.
And that kind of ruins the whole movie. :sweat:
I honestly believe that the first two Harry Potter movies were done exceptionally well, but I didn't enjoy the other ones nearly as much.
And the fifth movie was probably the worst, but that could also be because I seriously didn't like the fifth book. o.o

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 PM

No, I do the same. I sit and watch the movie for what it is and look at the story and cinematography. I only think about the book during it if something is completely wrong.

Ya, I'll agree with you, at least partially. I like the first two Harry Potter movies because they were close to the book, but I found them boring, so I consider them something of a failure as far as media entertainment went (my opinion though. Haha). I think they caught onto that because they fired the director and got a new one, but the new one was all about action and entertainment and didn't seem to care for the book, so the movies became entertaining, but degrading in regards to the books (I got mad at points where some of the decisions changed character personalities - like in the 4th when Nevile stole the gilly weed for Harry. Totally marred Nevile's kind and innocent persona with that action >__< ). I stopped watching the film's after the 4th because it made me so upset <.< But I haven't ever heard anything good about the 5th or 6th book (other than the fan girl's squealing about it, which can't be counted since it's not constructive criticism :P )

I think it should just be demanded that a director and their screen writers shouldn't be allowed to work on a book to movie film unless they love and respect it because it seems only when that happens do you get well made conversions. Too many people are into it for the money and it shows in the movie >_<

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryohko View Post
Oh that's hard for me to decide! I want to say that the 3rd+ Harry Potter movie pissed me off. In my opinion, the first two was really good, but once they replaced Dumbledore with some douche that didn't even look like Dumbledore totally ruined it for me. If they made his beard longer I think I would have been content with the change, but are you serious with tying it up like that? D:

On a side note, I never knew that Ella Enchanted was a book. I loved the movie, but never read the book, so I can't say whether it's a bad conversion or not. xD

The third and the fourth Harry Potter movie really pissed me off as well. They took out Hermione's plan to help the house elves and they completely took out Winky and Doby. Also the third movie could have included the quidditch game with Raven Claw.

@Erailea ~ I also think the second movie should have shown the fight between Malfoy's and Ron's dad in the bookstore.

kittykatt89
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-04-2009, 03:51 AM

i agree eragon was horrible compared to the book. i read most of the book first then watched the movie. they skipped most of the book in my opinion. the twilight was a good movie when not compared. when compared it was still good but i think they should have stayed closer to the book.

Missy192
I am a full QWERTY keyboard.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 AM

In my honest opinion, MOST book to movie conversions are horrible. I avoid them mostly. If the trailer looks like it followed most of the book then I'll wait until it's cheap enough to see it. like renting or at the dollar theater. Otherwise, I avoid it like the plague. I would rather not ruin the book by seeing the movie. I made that mistake with Twilight. I have disliked Kristen Stewart since I was born practically and to see her in Twilight just ruined the books for me. Every time I try to read my favorite parts, all I see is her stupid face. Now I only read the parts that she gets hurt. Such as the paper cut, the break up, and when they thought she was dead >=D Sure it's mean of me, but she practically ruins every movie that I actually WANT to see.

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-04-2009, 03:36 PM

@ Missy192- haha. I refuse to watch Twilight because I absolute despise the books, but I've both heard from people and read reviews saying that Kristen Stewart couldn't act in that movie to save her life. I heard her acting was so terrible it made her look like there something mentally defective with her. They didn't say much kinder things about Pattinson either, they just said his acting as "slightly better" than hers, but only slightly.

From the trailers of that movie I was cringing. I could tell the acting was horrid... so many lines were said FLAT D; It hurt my soul watching that thing... I still don't know why I did >_< If the movie had actually looked decent I *might* have gone and watched it... but it didn't so I stayed far far away. The only thing, in my opinion, that movie had good for it were the super cute guys (I don't even know actor names so I'm just going to spout of characters) Carlisle, Jasper and Jacob

Macabeak
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM

I despised the Ella Enchanted movie despite Anne Hathaway... at first. If you totally disregard the fact that it's Ella Enchanted, it's a fun movie u_u

Worst adaptation I've ever seen... That's a tough one. I know there was one that I saw that made me really cringe, but I can't think of what it was.... For now, though, I'll settle with Eragon. That movie wasn't even enjoyable for me on any level.

edit: Ah. I just remembered it: The Musketeer. Combining kung fu with The Three Musketeers, just... does NOT work.

Last edited by Macabeak; 10-05-2009 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: thought of one

Miridiea

Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM

For me Eragon was totally messed up.... I will never see the movie again in my lifetime

ASingingGaijin
Click!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:07 AM

The Eragon movie was a total catastrophe! I walked out of the theatre in a total rant about how horrible it was and everything they screwed up and forgot and stuff. People gave the what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you look. Well I'll tell you what! That was the worst!