View Poll Results: what do you like most...?
The Film 3 8.11%
The Book 34 91.89%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

WaterFireFarie
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 03-09-2007, 04:34 AM

I can't wait for the 7th book! :B
But it is sad that it's the last of the series ..

I also heard that one of the three amigos will die. Tsk tsk.

The movies are okay but like usual the books
are like 10 times better. They always have to
leave things out and it annoys me because
some of it is kind of important to the story /:

Simmy3
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 AM

Im on both sides, of course i want the book to come out and find out what happens, but i also don't want it to, because it confirms that there will be no more HP Books! :(

I have heard that two characters will die at the end, my therory is that Harry will die, to kill Voldemort.

Lord Atma
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 AM

I am actually eager to see where J.K goes after HP concludes. What will she do afterward, writing-wise?

I am hoping for another series of books as well-planned as these.

Adderly
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via MSN to Adderly

Old 03-09-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Atma
I am actually eager to see where J.K goes after HP concludes. What will she do afterward, writing-wise?

You're looking at another decade from now then. I admire her for how much she plans. I'm like that. I have to plan everything again and again in my head. I still admire writers who can write off whim though. :]

Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-09-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Atma

I remember it was up on The Leaky Cauldron a while ago (more than a year ago, maybe - perhaps longer or shorter, though) that JKR might write mysteries after HP is done. It would be interesting, particularly if she chose to write for adults.

Gabriel
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Banned

Old 03-09-2007, 12:36 PM

I was once an avid reader of the series. Quick to get my mits on the books as soon as they came out and quick to spend late nights devouring page by page.

I seem to have lost some spirit lately though. Perhaps I've just been too busy in all reality. For the most part, however, the fifth book came as a crushing disappointment to me, when my favorite character, Sirius died, heroic, as it was, in battle.

I haven't read more than a few pages of the sixth book.

As for the movies, they're quite well done. I've been really impressed with the high-grade acting and special effects.

It seems Radcliff is almost too old for the role now though. How they'll complete all of the movies without the actors all growing too old on them is unknown to me. xP

Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2007, 12:15 PM

I think there were more than a few people (not a significant amount in the scheme of things, but enough to be noticeable), particularly in HP fandom, who haven't liked the direction of the books since OotP, and even more didn't like how HBP went.

Nothing against Sirius, but I think he had to go, otherwise Harry's journey would have been ... less of a journey? If he had Sirius to rely on he probably wouldn't do what he did in HBP or what he will do in DH - so I think his death had to occur for Harry to live up to his potential/the prophecy/etc.

Azeriel
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-10-2007, 12:52 PM

DX I used to love Harry Potter...seriously, adore it. .-. Then the books started getting...well, too cliche, I suppose. I honestly think JK Rowling was being pressure, especially in the sixth book, to put in a whole lot more romance, and more adult-like scenes, such as more deaths, and the like (don't want to give out any spoilers xD)

Like. Was anyone else completely lost at how Harry suddenly was head over heels in love with Ginny? o.o; Four books past since he first meets Ginny, and I didn't see one inkling of his liking her as more than a friend, then suddenly he's smelling her flowerly smell in the love potion thing and then thinking of kissing her in dark corridors. -.- I think the movie producers really wanted to see some romance so they could spam it all over their movies.

!

Speaking of the movies....

I personally thing that the first two movies or so were okay. But, the third one was where I just kinda, stood back with a frown on my face. o.o; Did anyone else get completely tired at seeing blackout after blackout? Like the screen fades out every couple of scenes or so? .-. It got so repetitive for me, I just really couldn't get into it. But, that's just me.

And I'm sad Sirius died in the fifth book. T.T I loved him. Part of me still has hope though, because of Luna's thoughtful parting message to Harry at the end of the book.

Now I'm not even too sure I'll be reading the last book...<_< >_> That's a lie. xD I know I will, just so I can wrap up this children's series and get back to life. -p-

Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2007, 02:31 PM

There are elements of the HP series that are quite derivative (like most - if not all - modern fantasy-type novels), but I'm curious to know what you found to be cliché.

Spoiler:
The only character who died in HBP was Dumbledore (that I can recall - the only major character, anyway) - I don't think that was over-doing it because, as per my remarks about Sirius before, I feel Harry needed to lose the great protectors in his life to make his own way towards the final conflict with Voldemort. He has had a lot of protection from people (despite the dangers he faces) - his parents, Sirius, Dumbledore et al., and I imagine that (even if Ron and Hermione are there to help him look for horcruxes) there'll be emphasis on him facing the final dangers alone.

As for Ginny ... I think she gets a raw deal from fans, but I think that would happen for any love interest of Harry's (I know a lot of people who don't like Cho, either, and not just because she was very irritating in OotP).

I don't think it's impossible for someone to come to the realisation they like someone they've known for years (surely this has happened many, many times in reality), and I do think it's completely possibly for people to change over time - Ginny progressed from being quite mousey around Harry to sort of living up to the Weasley reputation. It happens. I don't think the film producers had anything to do with it, as there hasn't been any hint of romance between the two in the films thus far.

I take it you don't 'ship Harry/Ginny, though? ;)

I don't really put much stock in the films - they're good, and I don't expect them to be exact replicas of the books. I didn't like the third film much, either - why so many people think Alfonso Cuarón is a genius is beyond me.

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 03-10-2007, 06:41 PM

I love the Harry Potter series. I think each book has gotten better and better, the story developing more. I think people get too invested in the storyline and get mad when things don't progress how they want or agree with and want to see more meaning than there need to be.

I think the two deaths that people think are unecessary were completely necessary. Harry can't walk into that final battle with people left to save him or people left to save. I think Hermoine will be the one of the trio to die, since Rowling has hinted that one of the three will kick the bucket. I don't think Harry will die. The prophecy did not say that both Harry and Voldemort needed to die--it said that one of them needs to die for the other to survive. I think that Harry will absorb Voldemort. ^__^;

I will be sad when the series ends. It's so full and broad.

I dislike the movies after the second. =( I don't like how they are ignoring secondary characters.

Azeriel
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-10-2007, 07:14 PM

~**~

xD; Haha, I hate Ginny. I did like her development from a shy, timid little girl to a strong-willed teenager, but then she became...mm, a little too headstrong, in my opinion. And I guess it is possible, but I just don't see it happening. If Harry had known it for years, I think Rowling would have given at least a tiny inclining hinting towards such, but I have yet to see anything hinting at Harry's love for Ginny in any book other than the sixth.

As for Harry and Cho, even though I hate Cho as well, that I can understand. It's first hinted at in the third book, and devlops more in the fourth, and infatuation with a pretty girl spreading into a crush. That, I can understand, not Harry's sudden monster inside him that wasnt's to rip whatever boy that was kissing Ginny to shreds and kiss her himself. -.-

And I totally understand what you are saying about taking away the supportive and protective figures...I just don't have to like it. xD; I'm not one much for angst, so, for me, every the hero of a story doesn't have to loose every single friend he has and have the entire world turn on him before he triumphs. o.o Which I hope is not the case. -.- If either Ron or Hermione dies...

Anyways. I just hated the fifth and sixth books. xD; Too depressing, not enough "Hero triumphs" for me. Just, everything getting steadily worse. But, that's how I like my books. -p-~

Caramel-Filled Messiah
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 03-11-2007, 05:23 PM

I remember I used to love the Harry Potter series, but lately I've become disinterested in it. I can't wait for the last book to come out, so I can finally see what will happen. I hope it's not too awfully disappointing.

I absolutely hated the 4th movie, though. Probably just because I was really hoping to see a neat Sphinx riddle scene, and they skipped that part completely, and I think that kind of jaded my view on the thing. I'm still seeing the rest of the movies, though, no matter how much they disappoint me. It's a morbid obsession, I suppose.

` Toxic Whispers
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-11-2007, 07:18 PM

• I wonder who will die. There are rumors going around that it's Harry and Voldemort. I sure hope it's Hermione. So Ron can be left alone and there won't a Ron x Hermione romance anymore. >D

The Dark Knight Of Night
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-11-2007, 08:15 PM

THIS IS WHAT I THINK MIGHT HAPPEN IN THE NEW BOOK

In the 7th and final book, I believe that Harry will die to save Ginny, Which is is a very stupid idea. Ron and Hermione will survive but will be scared for life from there traumatizing experience.

Baby(I mean full grown) Norbert will come back and protect Hagrid, Snape will end up helping Harry in some way, Harry will find all the Horcruxes and destroy Voldemort.

My favorite book would have to be the 5th and my least favorite is the 1st.

lena
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to lena

Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 AM

I've heard there will be multiple deaths in the seventh book! *nods*
Personally, I think these deaths will include Harry and Voldy.
Voldy causing Harry to die, and Harry causing Voldy to die. D:

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 AM

I preordered my book the day that the release date came out. It was to be mine right then and there haha. Now I have to wait till the midnight party to go pick it up from my Barnes and Noble.

I also can't wait for the movie to come out. Both are within 8 days of each other! It's great!

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 AM

I promised myself that I wouldn't enter a Harry Potter topic if I found one... but here I am. *hits head* I'm going to rambles on here so there might be spoilers for some. This might long too... I don't know if anyone is really going to sit here and read everything I write.

I love Harry Potter. It was so bad at one point that the day the 5th book was released, I read and finished it in less then 10 hours. (That was 750+ page book). However like most people I'm getting very disappointed in the series.

The downhill part started with her killing Sirius. Now, I'm not saying this just because I'm a Sirius fan, it's the way she killed him that annoyed me to no end. He died falling through a veil... >.< The first time I read that I actually had missed that part, I really though Sirius was okay until I read Harry's reaction and had to go back and re-read that part because I didn't believe she would just kill someone like that.

Book 6th was a major disappointment. A lot of it was repeative and completely out there... like the Harry/Ginny pairing and Ron and Hermione's fights and going over parts of "dark lord's" past that we already knew. And then she had to go and kill dumbledore, have Snape be the one to do it, and give Snape a pitiful reason to why he turned back to the side of good. And Harry said he wasn't going back to hogwarts. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince actually sounds more like a bad fanfiction and on top of that she didn't spend much time with the half-blood prince idea. I think the book would have been a tad bit better if she had Harry and the gang would actually try to find out who the half-blood prince was the same way they try to find out the heir of slytherin in book two. If anything, it would have fit the title a lot better.

This might be the fangirl part of me talking, but I had wished she had done something else with Draco. I would have loved the idea of Draco turning good, or at least doing something other then teasing Harry all the time. >.>

The movies didn't live up the books (usually they don't). They completely ruined book three (book 3 was my favorite). They butcher the timeline and rushed the story and the actors they choose to play Sirius and Remus didn't fit too well. *sigh* I think movie 1 was okay. movie four was probably the best of all them as far as at least -trying- to keep up with the books. (Though the Harry/Hermione hints were annoying) *sigh*

In all honestly, J.K Rowling is not the best writer. Her writing is okay, not great but okay. In other words perfect for a children's story. Her ability to write death scenes is more then example (falling through a veil to die, Sirius must be furious). >> Her idea however is awesome. This world she created is just has so many possiblities, things you can do it with it. And it sadden me that she's not doing much about it. Because we don't know much about wizarding world other then Minstery of Magic and Hogwarts. For examples, if they're aren't working for the government, what kind of jobs do wizards and witches have? In book four we read about other wizarding schools, what is life like there? Are there more all over the world? Even Hogwarts has room to grow, we nothing of Ravenclaw house common room locations or how class is like with them. We probably don't even know all of Hogwarts and we barely scratch the surface to what exactly each subject can teach you at Hogwarts. Even learning more about how the Marauder came to be out be great. ( I suppose that's why I have a soft spot for those types of fanfics)

I wish she would do more with the world she created. Chances are she isn't.

As far as the 7th book, well at this point, I'm just hoping it's a lot better then book six. I don't think harry is gonna die and I don't like the idea that she's going to kill off one of three (poor harry, first he loses his godfather then his mentor and now one of his best friends?) Yeah... I'll have to wait and see I guess.

Audley
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-13-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seito
However like most people I'm getting very disappointed in the series.
Most people? You mean those millions and millions of fans who keep buying the books, watching the films, and stocking up on the cheesy merchandise? Them? ;)

I don't think the popularity of the series has waned significantly - I think it has with older readers, but definietly not younger ones. Kids like Sirius - teenagers and adults "love" him.

Quote:
Book 6th was a major disappointment. A lot of it was repeative and completely out there... like the Harry/Ginny pairing and Ron and Hermione's fights and going over parts of "dark lord's" past that we already knew. And then she had to go and kill dumbledore, have Snape be the one to do it, and give Snape a pitiful reason to why he turned back to the side of good. And Harry said he wasn't going back to hogwarts. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince actually sounds more like a bad fanfiction and on top of that she didn't spend much time with the half-blood prince idea. I think the book would have been a tad bit better if she had Harry and the gang would actually try to find out who the half-blood prince was the same way they try to find out the heir of slytherin in book two. If anything, it would have fit the title a lot better.
I might have said this before in an earlier post (although maybe not), but I don't think there's anything unbelievable about that Harry/Ginny pairing - people get together after years of knowing each other and being friends/vague acquaintances all of the time. I know readers of HP feel like there should be shedloads of "signs" and foreshadowing of everything (this is a heavy theorist fan community, after all), but I don't think it was really necessary for the story, and I guess that's why it wasn't in there. Would the plot of the series really progressed all that much if it had been spelled out who Harry's dream witch would be in the end? Probably not.

As for the book titles ... eh, I don't think too much of Half-Blood Prince (or Deathly Hallows), but the half-blood prince has about as much to do with the novel as the Goblet of Fire did (it appears, what? A handful of times total in GoF and doesn't do anything except spit out a name and act as a Portkey), and same with the Order of the Phoenix.

Regarding your comments on JKR's writing/how she fills out the world - it's just too much, isn't it? Really, when you think about the copious amounts of fanfiction that address the things you wish she had written about (other wizarding schools, the Ravenclaw common room etc.), could she really have fit all of it without labouring the books completely? It would be really boring. I'm curious about those things, too, but not at the expense of the existing pacing of the series - it would just be another Eragon (or whatever the second book in that series is called).

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-14-2007, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter

Most people? You mean those millions and millions of fans who keep buying the books, watching the films, and stocking up on the cheesy merchandise? Them? ;)

I don't think the popularity of the series has waned significantly - I think it has with older readers, but definietly not younger ones. Kids like Sirius - teenagers and adults "love" him.
I wasn't really talking about popularity, just (perhaps selfishly) we're expecting more from JK Rowling. I think, (though not sure) that I would have been happier if she gave Sirius a real death, instead of "falling through the veil" as a way to die. >.<

Well unsurprising, I had this conversation before on a different forum. Most of the people were disappointed but in the sense of how she wrote the book. People still love it, just are disappointed in how she's done it so far. My family (and many others I knew) would fight over who's turn it was to read the book, now it's more like here the book, but you can read it first. Me for example, I'm waiting for the next book to come out, but not with the same excitement as when I was waiting for with book four. I want to know what happens, but I mean my excitement is reaching the point where I don't HAVE to buy it on the first day. (Yeah I use to be one of those people who would stand outside of Costco waiting for it to open so that I could buy the book)

Quote:
I might have said this before in an earlier post (although maybe not), but I don't think there's anything unbelievable about that Harry/Ginny pairing -
Perhaps I've missed those most of those signs, but for me, it's kinda like Harry has been obsessing with Cho since year one, finally realizes she's not the girl for him and suddenly focus on Ginny? It's kinda a sudden like switch after he's been mourning over Sirius and dealing with Voldemort and whatnots. I don't mind the Harry/Ginny pairing, I just find it place in the book to be weird, like it deserved a better place where things aren't as crazy or random.

Quote:
As for the book titles ... eh, I don't think too much of Half-Blood Prince (or Deathly Hallows), but the half-blood prince has about as much to do with the novel as the Goblet of Fire did (it appears, what? A handful of times total in GoF and doesn't do anything except spit out a name and act as a Portkey), and same with the Order of the Phoenix.
I think Order of Phoenix fit pretty well, but yes GoF was also a poor mistake on JK Rowling's part. (if I remember correctly, I could have sworn the original title was suppose to be the Tri-wizard tournament). Actually I heard flash blood prince and suddenly I was picturing someone who was like half dragon and half wizard and was royalty to suddenly appear. >.<

Quote:
Regarding your comments on JKR's writing/how she fills out the world - it's just too much, isn't it? Really, when you think about the copious amounts of fanfiction that address the things you wish she had written about (other wizarding schools, the Ravenclaw common room etc.), could she really have fit all of it without labouring the books completely? It would be really boring. I'm curious about those things, too, but not at the expense of the existing pacing of the series - it would just be another Eragon (or whatever the second book in that series is called).
No no, you misunderstand. I don't want them -in- the Harry Potter books, I want a better understanding of it. Granted a side book would be boring, but if she could do something with Harry after Hogwarts to explore a little of the wizarding world I would be happy. You know? Something after he graduates, where does he get a job, maybe learning a bit more about his parents. *shrugs* That's just my opinion.

Zarq
*^_^*

Old 03-14-2007, 08:32 AM

I'm currently reading the books (and haven't watched the movies) - I'm about 1/2 way through the Half-Blood Prince. They are well-written books, I'm enjoying them, although I prefer books where the author doesn't kill off the main characters. I understand that people die in dangerous situations, but I read for the entertainment value, where everything works out perfectly in the end. If I want real life -- I know where to find it.

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 03-14-2007, 06:08 PM

Harry liking Ginny makes perfect sense to me. He wasn't obsessed with Cho since book one--he didn't really like her until the fourth book. Ginny was never a really big part of his life. We didn't see him start to get the idea od dating until the fourth book at all--completely typical.

He was so obsessed with Cho that he didn't notice any other girls. She was his first crush and it stuck. When he finally got over her at the end of the fifth book he's finally able to notice that HEY there's other girls around! It's not uncommon for a guy to start liking his best friend's sister.

All in all I found him liking Ginny to be very, very realistic in the sense of relationships at that age. Teens fall in and out of lover faster than you'd imagine.

I also think Sirius's death just hasn't been fully explained. That archway wasn't just an archway--there was more to it and we just haven't been told yet. I think it will play a very important role in the upcoming book.

Draco couldn't be good. He's evil. Turning him good would be pointless fanshipping. =| He's a little prat. People are supposed to hate him.

Dumbledore HAD to die. His death has been built up from book one. He is the only person with the power to stand up to Voldemort--he had to be taken out of the way so that Harry could step up and fufill his prophecy. With Dumbledore there Harry could never do what needed to be done. I think Dumbledore knew he was going to die that night, he just didn't know it was going to be Snape. He didn't know about the Unbreakable Vow.

I don't think Snape will save Harry, but I think Snape will turn out to be "good" in the end now that he's fufilled his Vow.

I think people got too emotionally attatched to some characters and want their fairytale ending where everyone is happy in the end. The books created this sense of "youth" in their readers and now that the story has matured, people are mad. They want their rainbows and sunshine.

I think it's brilliant story telling.

Cheyenne
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyenne

Old 03-15-2007, 12:43 AM

its july 21 the new harry potter book is comin out and i cant wait

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 03-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Harry Potter is my favorite series of all time ^^ I completely love those books and find my imagination runs wild when I read them. I know I am going to cry when I get the last book because... well, it's the last book... Although I am also psyched for the movie, I'm not as enthusiastic about it (books usually turn out better than movies IMO)

Sherezade
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 AM

I don't think any of the main characters will die - aka, the Trio. J.K Rowling has already killed off two important people surrounding Harry - and as previously & well stated by Stilettolover- it was totally necessary, I think. I also think we'll be given a further explanation on Sirius' death, but no, I don't think he comes back to life, or anything like that.

I do think, though, that Snape will try saving Harry - and die in the atempt. Whereas I love, adore, Snape's character and I think he had a good reason for killing Dumbledore , he needs to be punished for killing Dumbledore - despite it being totally necessary. It's karma.

And I think it's two characters that actually die. I will be devastated when Snape dies - I know it's him! XD - so I don't really want to think about who else might die. Not that I think I can get it right .. Rowling's proved me to be wrong way too many times already X3

Elwing
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM

Oeh I love Harry Potter books!!
I am currently reading The Halfblood Prince ^_^

I like the books better than the movies, but even tho I have read the
Order of the Phoenix already, I would like to see the movie too...
I think the movies are just a nice thing to look at, to see how things
realy look like ^^ XD

Can't wait for the new book! It's coming out here on my boyfriends birthday XD lol