Aurilia
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Do you have a favorite author?
Do you go and buy every book they publish, even lining up at the local book store as soon as a new book written by him or her comes out?

Discuss! ^^

My favorite English-language author is Anne Rice... I just love her writing style, her descriptions are very vivid, and the characters are usually tragic.
My favorite series by her are the Vampire Chronicles, especially "Interview With the Vampire" and "The Tale of the Body Thief".
Another book that I can recommend (mainly to older readers though since some of Rice's writing is quite erotic) is "Cry to Heaven"...
In my opinion, Cry to Heaven is definitely Anne Rice's finest book. Beautifully written in the lush, gorgeous prose for which Rice is famous, Cry to Heaven is rich in detail and presents a fascinating look at the lives of Italy's 18th century castrati. The protagonist, Tonio is extremely well-drawn and memorable. His struggles to come to terms with his life a are nothing less then soul-wrenching...

I am really hoping that despite moving away from her beloved New Orleans she will continue writing the Vampire Chronicles... can't wait for the next one to come out.

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...
Send a message via MSN to Rusalka

Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 PM

Oh yes. Tamora Pierce is my favorite author and I own every single one she has published as of yet and I'll continue collecting her books. <3 I have none of hers that are favorites though I just enjoy reading her work and she's my inspiration to continue to try write a good story.

CrinkledStraw
\ (•◡•) /
n/a
Send a message via AIM to CrinkledStraw

Old 03-09-2007, 09:04 PM

I've only read Interview With the Vampire by Rice, but I agree that her descriptions are amazing. Anyone who can construct a completely new and unique world with so many characters has true talent.

Which leads me to my number one favorite author of all time!
Haha.
Anne McCaffrey.
I love her Dragon Riders of Pern series.
Its science-fiction fantasy about a world that has to be protected by dragons and the people bonded to them.

And also Michael Crichton and Chuck Palahniuk.

:3

Itticus
*^_^*

Old 03-09-2007, 09:13 PM

I would have to say Robert Jordan. I really like the Wheel of Time series even though the last couple of books have been somewhat lackluster.

Sapphire Clouds
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Sapphire Clouds Send a message via MSN to Sapphire Clouds

Old 03-09-2007, 09:15 PM

I love Amelia Atwater-Rhodes and Annette Curtis Klaus. <3

Julianna
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to Julianna

Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale Dragonheart
Oh yes. Tamora Pierce is my favorite author and I own every single one she has published as of yet and I'll continue collecting her books. <3 I have none of hers that are favorites though I just enjoy reading her work and she's my inspiration to continue to try write a good story.
wow. I love her too!
i love her stories, they're really great. (:
<33

ferbsy
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-09-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale Dragonheart
I love the way she writes! I like to many authors to list XP. I really like Cornelia Funke.

Demoral
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Demoral Send a message via MSN to Demoral

Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 PM

I'm surprised not many people have heard of Christopher Moore?
His books are really insanely funny and his writing is really good. ^^

I've read only number two of the The Keeper's Chronicles from Tamora Pierce [I think it was by her >__< /shotshot] but I'd like to read more. ^___^

I think~ Fans of Tamora Pierce's writing would also really like Christopher Moore. Give him a try ;O I love his works <3

Zarq
*^_^*

Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 PM

I absolutely love Mercedes Lackey. Her Valdemar series hooked me, and I continue re-reading it. I own most of her books (I started late and I'm catching up!), and I'm almost always reading one of them.

Super Pantless Girl
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2007, 10:59 AM

Hm... Favorite authors...

Mercedes Lackey - a friend got me seriously hooked on the Valdemar series.
Stephen King - best read after midnight, of course.
Lilian Jackson Braun - who doesn't love a mystery-solving cat?
Anne McCaffrey - after reading the PERN books, I was stuck in Dragonrider roleplays for months.
Sara Douglass - gorgeous books; simply gorgeous.

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-10-2007, 03:28 PM

Janny Wurts
Julie Czerneda
Laurell K. Hamilton
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
Steven Brust
Mercedes Lackey's earlier works
Shakespeare

There are others, including a long list of authors I'm watching for when they release their next book, but those are my favorites.

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-10-2007, 05:55 PM

Laurell K. Hamilton (I'm a big sucker for romance/vampires/were-animals and the like)
Anne Rice

You know sadly I don't read much more then their books >.<;

Tsuki_No_Miko
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Oh my I think if I posted them all I would earn like a zillion gold lol
But to name a few
Tamora Pierce
Anne Rice
Stephen King

I read almost anything...but not really romance novels they're not really interesting to me for the fact they're a dime a dozen and all seem the same. However if I am reading a Horror,Fantasy,Adventure novel that has a little romance in it then I dont really mind x3

chipyun
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-10-2007, 06:34 PM

My favorite author is Neil Gaiman :'D I love his book Stardust.
I'm reading a book by Anne Rice right now and I agree, her descriptions are awesome! x]

Tazaki
*^_^*

Old 03-10-2007, 06:36 PM

Anne Bishop- Writer of The Black Jewels Trilogy(thats not such a trilogy since theres about 6 books in that series now), the Tir Alainn Trilogy, and the Ephemera Duology. Excellent writer thats able to pull you into all 3 of her worlds and keep you there wanting more. I worst problem is that I when I'm tired and read I end up falling asleep and getting mad cause I cant keep my eyes open to read more^^;

Tsuki_No_Miko
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipyun
I'm reading a book by Anne Rice right now and I agree, her descriptions are awesome! x]
I know...If you ever read the Tale of the Body Theif by Anne Rice...her descriptions in that are..amusing

Mizu_Taji
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Mizu_Taji

Old 03-10-2007, 06:45 PM

I have several actually-

R.A. Salvatore- I haven't read as much of him as I would like, but I absolutely love what I have read of his. It's like I am there.

Stephen King- I am no horror fan to be sure, but I loved The Green Mile so much that he still gets a place up here.

Brian Jacques- What can I say? His Redwall series is captivating ^^

Christopher Golden(I think)- He did the Body of Evidence series, which I love to bits

There are other books I like that I haven't been able to read more of the authors, but this isn't the thread, is it ^^

Jesmond
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Jesmond Send a message via MSN to Jesmond

Old 03-10-2007, 07:58 PM

I also like Scott Westerfeld, Philippa Gregory, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and Laurell K. Hamilton.

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 03-10-2007, 08:10 PM

Stephenie Meyer.

I discovered her in early April, but didn't get around to reading her books until September. She's a wonderful author and she's a really nice person. I've met her a few times now (but it's only because she lives here in Phoenix <3

Mary
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-11-2007, 01:54 AM

My favorite authors are Isaac Asimov, Douglas Adams, and Meg Cabot.

light
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-11-2007, 02:19 AM

pratchett, douglas adams, jk rowling, tolkien

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-11-2007, 03:02 AM

I love Anne Rice books. Though I must admit I am a very slow reader, so I don't go though books like clothes. xP Though I do enjoy Anne's books, plus me being a sort of a fan of anything vampires I do love her Vampire Chronicle series, so far (I haven't read it all).

Another favorite author of mine is Rob Thurman, she wrote a fantasy book called "Nightlife" and it got me hooked. Once I found out that she was writing a sequel I knew I had to get it. Though time flew by so fast that it's already out and I forgot. =x So tomorrow I'm going to get it. =D

KeyKey
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Mine is Tamora Pierce!!
I love all of her books and. How she write is really good.

Caramel-Filled Messiah
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 03-11-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipyun
I love love love Neil Gaiman. My favorite by him is Coraline (probably because it was the first I'd ever read of his, so I get all nostalgic). Plus, it's just a really creepy kid's book. I remember I bought it simply because I thought the cover looked cool (I didn't even read the back summary). It's amazing how something so simple can turn into a semi-obsession.

Have you read the Sandman? I don't even like comics, and I think it's a wonderful series. I've only got the first 20 issues, though >_<

Lachesia
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-11-2007, 07:25 PM

I love the Sandman series. But then, I'm a sucker for any reference to Greek mythology, especially mythology taken and rewritten well, and Gaiman does it so, so well. ^_^

He's also done a related collaborative work called...*peers at the bookshelf* The Dream Hunters, where he builds off of Asian myth. It's absolutely gorgeous. I love the way his brain works.