Ojo
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 AM

I started the craze in my little group of friends. One of them is obsessed with Edward =D

fourohnine
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to fourohnine Send a message via MSN to fourohnine

Old 04-16-2007, 03:02 AM

Twilight was such a good book. I read it in about a day. I literally couldn't put it down. I absolutely fell in love with Edward Cullen. ^^;

New Moon let me down. I couldn't get into it as easily. It wasn't bad, though. n.n;

Sparkle Muffin Head
⊙ω⊙
Banned
n/a

Old 04-16-2007, 10:44 AM

Omigawdomigawd Twilight! New Moon! Eclipse! Breaking Dawn! Squeee!
>w<
I'm sorry. I just instantly fell in love with the characters (especially Edward. He's mine. Ahahaha.) and the books are so amazing. @-@ I can't wait until August 7th- ECLIPSE COMES OUT! YAAY! ^O^

roxanne2332233
(-.-)zzZ
n/a
Send a message via AIM to roxanne2332233

Old 04-17-2007, 12:58 AM

I think New Moon isn't as good at Twilight though...because there's less of Edward in it...:3 Oh is Eclipse good? Haven't read it yet...because our library doesn't have it yet..:[

fourohnine
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-17-2007, 01:11 AM

Eclipse isn't even out yet. n.n;

roxanne2332233
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-17-2007, 01:42 AM

Oh..yeah..thought so. haha. :P -sigh- I really do hope that there's more Edward in Eclipse...:D

fourohnine
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-17-2007, 01:51 AM

When I got done with New Moon, I had to re-read Twilight just to get my Edward fix. <.<;

roxanne2332233
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-17-2007, 02:30 AM

Haha I know, same here! Lol me and my friend were obsessing over Edward one day..xDDD ? So hott. XP

Feurity
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-17-2007, 03:02 AM

I only really read vampire novels for the moral dilemmas. But really, Carlisle keeps me reading it. I keep hoping he'll do something more important than pick up after Edward, but... nope, it never happens.

Also, Bella is dumb as a post. You don't put yourself in danger like that for no reason. And what kind of masochistic person puts themselves in a relationship with someone who's shown no particular love for you? And if you think someone is a murderer? STAY AWAY UNTIL IT'S PROVEN OTHERWISE, OK??

Jacob was the first person that I thought I could meet out on the street in this series, but noooo, he has to get involved in some crazy nonsense involving packs. Werewolves, according to most major mythology, travel alone- and I know that this is a modern fantasy style series, but she should keep some realism to it.

I just keep reading to see how much stupider Bella can get, really.

Oh. And Carlisle. LOVE Carlisle.

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 AM

Feurity;

I think that you're probably the first person that I've seen so far that has dissed the books so openly in front of me.

I suppose you have points in your reasons for disliking the series, but you have to realize that it is fictional. It's not meant to be real, or even appear as real, so why does it matter if someone like Bella falls in love with someone who could potentially kill her in a second.

Carlisle doesn't clean up after Edward. You'd have to show me proof of that.

You also have to realize that whenever Stephenie wrote the series, she made up her own mythology, and never had any intentions of sticking to what had already been previously written. Not to mention that she doesn't read vampire or werewolf stories.

roxanne2332233
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-17-2007, 06:54 AM

Carlisle doesn't clean up after Edward....And I think that Twilight is leaning on a rather unseen/unintroduced side of vampires, which I think is really cool :3

Feurity
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Seiki Nova-

I think perhaps you took my comments too seriously.

Just because you like the book doesn't mean that it is a worldwide classic. I do like the series- mainly for Carlisle, and, like I said, vampire books are good for moral dilemmas- it's just that at some points it's so very unrealistic that is it merging on ridiculous.

Any normal person with as high an IQ as we are told Bella has would have at least some reservations upon learning that someone who is, to all appearances, hostile to her is a vampire who could quite possibly break her neck without much thought at all. But she doesn't exhibit any reservations at all, except in the matter of hitting trees. If the meaning of piggyback hasn't changed since I was young, then it means that Edward would take the brunt of the impact instead of Bella.

Also, Carlisle does indeed clean up after Edward. It seems to be implied. Who went with Edward to catch up to James in Twilight? Carlisle, right? But how is that cleaning up after Edward, you might be asking. Well, didn't Edward place Bella in danger in the first place? But he didn't know the vampires would be coming! Of course he didn't, but if he's worried about her tripping why would he bring her out to a game of vampire baseball where she might get hit by a stray grounder that might, say, break her arm?

What about when Edward threw Bella back onto the broken plates in New Moon? He couldn't even stand to be in the same room- it was Carlisle and Esmé who ended up cleaning up all of the mess. Edward was outside moping and planning to leave Bella over that accident. That's at least two incidents that I can think of without the books right in front of me.

Another thing is, when you go into a pre-existing genre- whether it is vampire or werewolf or purple-polka-dotted-pixies you have to realize that there are expectations in that series by pre-existing readers and fans. Not only does Mrs. Meyer go into a pre-established genre, she doesn't appear to do any research at all beyond what came to her in a dream.

Several key aspects of the elemental nature of a vampire aren't addressed in any way whatsoever. For instance, in the Basque vampire mythology, vampires who subsist on animal blood become mindless revenants. How does the Cullen clan avoid becoming a group of instinct-driven monsters? I realize that might also fall under "her own mythology" but it still makes me wonder how much work she could have possibly put into the books beyond writing them and creating a coherent plotline.

Even the variety of vampire that Bella believes is Edward's 'type' shows hardly any simularities to the variety of faux-vampire shown in Twilight and New Moon. European vampire tales say that vampires "were compelled to count particles of grain, sawdust, and other small particles" that came into their path. This might cause some problems at the school lunch and the parking lot- I can't give you a direct quote, because I haven't got the books in front of me right now- but wasn't the Cullen's driveway gravel? Things like this should have been addressed for those of us who do read a lot of vampire fiction and know the lore.

Many of her 'unseen' sides in the terms of vampires aren't really too original. On Mount Pelion in ancient Greece, vampires were thought to glow in the dark AND in the sun- much like her sparkling skin, maybe? Different eye colors for different styles of vampires originate from teh Romani mythos.

Thusly, all I really see Twilight as is a fascinating social study of just how far someone will go for someone that's been proven to be at least a little unfaithful.

And Carlisle. Lots of love for Carlisle.

roxanne2332233
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-17-2007, 05:19 PM

Haha yeah...Charlisle is cool :3

Minagi Sakuya
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Minagi Sakuya Send a message via MSN to Minagi Sakuya Send a message via Yahoo to Minagi Sakuya

Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 PM

I enjoyed the books and the different take on vampires. Although, at some points it did seem a little... unbeleivable character wise, i.e.: Bella having no issues with finding out someone is a vampire that can barely resist her blood, etc.

roxanne2332233
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minagi Sakuya
I enjoyed the books and the different take on vampires. Although, at some points it did seem a little... unbeleivable character wise, i.e.: Bella having no issues with finding out someone is a vampire that can barely resist her blood, etc.
Well, I guess that's what happens when people fall in love? :O

Feurity
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
That is my point exactly. :'D

KirbehIshCute
⊙ω⊙
n/a
Send a message via AIM to KirbehIshCute

Old 04-20-2007, 10:10 PM

I'm slowly rereading the first one. >_>

A while ago I started reading New Moon, but I couldn't remember a thing.

Seiki Nova

Old 04-21-2007, 07:53 AM

I have to reread them both by the 5th so that I can be prepared in case Stephenie gives a quiz at prom. Because I don't want to feel stupid haha.

Minagi Sakuya
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Minagi Sakuya Send a message via MSN to Minagi Sakuya Send a message via Yahoo to Minagi Sakuya

Old 04-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feurity
Quote:
That is my point exactly. :'D
^_^

I'm re-reading New Moon at the moment, along with several other books. I've read everything any of my friends have for me to borrow and I've read all of my books at least five times. I'm really looking forward to Eclipse.

Seiki Nova

Old 04-26-2007, 01:23 AM

Ten days till the Eclipse Prom! I'm so excited. Is anyone else here going to be there? Stephenie is going to read the first Chapter of ECLIPSE to us! And I'll be chillin' with my peeps again xD

Apparently, some bookstores already have the deluxe edition of New Moon, which has the first chapter of Eclipse in it. If you get lucky and have it, don't talk about it, because it's not technically supposed to be out yet, and there's copyright laws and stuff. Bummer.

Byakuya
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 PM

I love these books! I can't wait till Eclipse comes out! *fangirl squee*

Miriai
*^_^*

Old 04-28-2007, 10:40 AM

ME NEITHER!!!

hey byakuya..i didn't know you did fangirl sqees...*hugs her and does a fangirl squee too*

Byakuya
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 04-28-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriai
ME NEITHER!!!

hey byakuya..i didn't know you did fangirl sqees...*hugs her and does a fangirl squee too*
If it's these books, I do. ^^;; Be quiet!

Seiki Nova

Old 04-30-2007, 12:53 PM

Prom is this Saturday! Everyone from the Lexicon getting together again?! It'll be great!

The Meadow with Rachul, Prom with Stephenie, Jacob Black After Party! I love it!

AuroraBoreas
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 PM

I loved Twilight slightly more than New Moon, and in both cases I felt like the first about half of the book never caught me as much as the last half.