neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 AM

Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite authors. I love his humour and his sacasism to the real world politics , histories and science.
Come in and discuss your favourite books, questions, characters and so on written by him~!

(Adding synposis)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Adult's Novels

1 ) The Colour of Magic
2 ) The Light Fantastic
3 ) Equal Rites
4 ) Mort
5 ) Sourcery
6 ) Wyrd Sisters
7 ) Pyramids
8 ) Guards! Guards!
9 ) Eric
10 ) Moving Pictures
11 ) Reaper Man
12 ) Witches Abroad
13 ) Small Gods
14 ) Lords and Ladies
15 ) Men at Arms
16 ) Soul Music
17 ) Interesting Times
18 ) Maskerade
19 ) Feet of Clay
20 ) Hogfather
21 ) Jingo
22 ) The Last Continent
23 ) Carpe Jugulum
24 ) The Fifth Elephant
25 ) The Truth
26 ) Thief of Time
27 ) The Last Hero
28 ) Night Watch
29 ) Monstrous Regiment
30 ) Going Postal
31 ) Thud!
32 ) Making Money ( To be released)

Young Adult's Novels
33 ) The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents
34 ) The Wee Free Men
35 ) A Hat Full of Sky
36 ) Wintersmith

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sort-of related to Discworld Novels
1 ) The Science of Discworld (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen)
2 ) The Science of Discworld II: the Globe (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen)
3 ) The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen)

Non-discworld series
1 ) The Carpet People
2 ) The Dark Side of the Sun
3 ) Strata
4 ) Truckers - The Bromeliad
5 ) The Unadulterated Cat
6 ) Good Omens (with Neil Gaiman)
7 ) Diggers - The Bromeliad
8 ) Wings - The Bromeliad

9 ) Only You Can Save Mankind - The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy
10 ) Johnny and the Bomb - The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy
11 ) Johnny and the Dead -The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy[/url]

Ebil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-20-2007, 09:11 AM

My most favourite book ever would be Good Omens, but for some reason I've never got into the Discworld series. I tried reading Mort once and didn't get very far with it, and I've had a copy of Jingo on my bookshelf for about 3 years and have never opened it. I do want to get into the discworld series though, maybe I should pick a different book to start off with?
Johnny and the Dead was a great book too.

eliechan
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-20-2007, 09:21 AM

i haven't read any of those o.o;;

which does neko like best and what is that about? :shock:

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-20-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebil
My most favourite book ever would be Good Omens, but for some reason I've never got into the Discworld series. I tried reading Mort once and didn't get very far with it, and I've had a copy of Jingo on my bookshelf for about 3 years and have never opened it. I do want to get into the discworld series though, maybe I should pick a different book to start off with?
Johnny and the Dead was a great book too.
en
well
i started off with Colours of magic actually
personally i don't like rincewind but i do like the librarian
erm i like Hogfather?
Because i like Death but i don't like susan XP
currently my fav is still Vetnari XP
haha he is so funny
But the new book will be actually a continuation of GOing postal - Mr Moist hehe
which isn't half bad i think

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliechan
i haven't read any of those o.o;;

which does neko like best and what is that about? :shock:
OH that is so hard to say XP
mm
Discworld is about this imaginary place on top of 4 elephants travelling through space on top of a gigantic turtle and the land is of cos flat.
It is full of witches, vampires, magics and so on
It is sorta divided into
The wizards
The watch ( policeman so on)
The Witches
The miscellaneous ( haha)
The mystic ( Death)

Erm i rather like going postal cos it is rather interesting.
It is about the discworld country called Anhk Morpork doesn't have a post office currently. So the patrician went to hire this ex-convict to run the post-office XP.

Mm i know of people who totally hates terry pratchett.
His language can at times be rather sacastic but neko like the underneath hints and jabs at the real world XP

eliechan
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 AM

oh. elie's mom and dad read a lot (like a book every couple days) so they probably have some of those. maybe elie will take a look when not extremely lazy XD;;

elie reads a lot of manga tho XD

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-20-2007, 10:36 AM

Neko also reads tons of manga Just bought a whole bunch of them yesterday *snigger*
and also borrowed some from my usual rental store too hehe
read one of them already

But on sunday i bought over 40 books O+o..
Mostly taiwanese chinese since there are on offer!!
5 books for 10 dollars!! they normally cost 16 bucks!!!!!!!!
and i saw one of my Juuni Kokki novel on sale there T_T
wanted to stab myself T_T

they are so heavy that my shoulder totally hurts the whole of yesterday and today T_T

Sherezade
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-20-2007, 12:05 PM

I've been wanting to read one is his books for a long one, Neko.

So which one would you recommend me for a started? I don't mind if it's the start of a saga or whatever, cuz if I like it I always have something to read *_*

aoikirin
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-20-2007, 09:40 PM

XD;; I've only read one Terry Pratchett book, but that was almost 7 years ago, so I don't really remember it well. I think it was the beginning of the spoof of the Arthurian legend. XD;;

X3

aoikirin
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 PM

The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain (most recent)
The Farseer Trilogy (and subsequent series) by Robin Hobb
Hmm... I can't remember any of the other books I've read *sweatdrop*

I have a huge list though, mind you! ^_^ I'll have to bug you guys about them later.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherezade
I've been wanting to read one is his books for a long one, Neko.

So which one would you recommend me for a started? I don't mind if it's the start of a saga or whatever, cuz if I like it I always have something to read *_*
Oh hmm
See if you can get those trilogy ones which they combined 3 stories into one big book
and get the city watch trilogy
Men at arms is nice
or start with going postal or monstrous regiment

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 04:55 AM

Discworld is a comic fantasy book series by the British author Terry Pratchett set on the Discworld, a flat world balanced on the backs of four elephants which are in turn standing on the back of a giant turtle, the Great A'Tuin.

The Colour of Magic
- Main Character - RinceWind
Twoflower was a tourist, the first ever seen on the Discworld. Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant idiot Somewhere on the frontier between thought and reality exists the Discworld, a parallel time and place which might sound and smell very much like our own, but which looks completely different. It plays by different rules. Certainly it refuses to succumb to the quaint notion that universes are ruled by pure logic and the harmony of numbers But just because the Disc is different doesn`t mean that some things don`t stay the same ...

The Light Fantastic
-Main Character - RinceWind
In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world ...

Equal Rites
-Main Characters - The Witches
They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. There are some situations where the correct response is to display the sort of ignorance which happily and wilfully flies in the face of the facts. In this case, the birth of a baby girl, born a wizard - by mistake. Everybody knows that there's no such thing as a female wizard. But now it's gone and happened, there's nothing much anyone can do about it. Let the battle of the sexes begin...

Mort
-Main Character - Death
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. For Mort however, it is about to become one of the tools of his trade. From henceforth, Death is no longer going to be the end, merely the means to an end. He has received an offer he can't refuse. As Death's apprentice he'll have free board, use of the company horse and being dead isn't compulsory. It's the dream job until he discovers that it can be a killer on his love life...

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 05:09 AM

The original British editions of the first 26 novels, up to Thief of Time (2001), had distinctive cover art by Josh Kirby; the American editions by HarperCollins used their own cover art. Since Kirby's death in October 2001 the covers have been designed by Paul Kidby. Recent British editions of Pratchett's older novels no longer re-use Kirby's art.

Which will explain alot of things.. which means i better buy the older ones now since the reprint will not be using the old covers which i rather like *+*

Sourcery
-Main Character - Rincewind
There was an eighth son of an eighth son. He was, quite naturally, a wizard. And there it should have ended. However (for reasons we'd better not go into), he had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son...a wizard squared...a source of magic...a Sourcerer. "Sourcery" sees the return of Rincewind and the luggage as the Discworld faces its greatest - and funniest - challenge yet.

Wyrd Sisters
-Main characters - The witches
The sixth "Discworld" novel. The witches of Discworld, not the most joyful bunch, decide that they must get involved in the politics of the planet. Granny Weatherwax, their obvious choice as spokesperson, finds that life in royal politics is not as simple as it seems.

Pyramids
-Main character - Teppic
Being trained by the Assassin's Guild in Ankh-Morpork did not fit Teppic for the task assigned to him by fate. He inherited the throne of the desert kingdom of Djelibeybi rather earlier than he expected (his father wasn't too happy about it either), but that was only the beginning of his problems...

Guards! Guards!
-Main characters - City Watch
This is where the dragons went. They lie...not dead, not asleep, but...dormant. And although the space they occupy isn't like normal space, nevertheless they are packed in tightly. They could put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought sardines were huge and scaly. And presumably, somewhere, there's a key...

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 05:49 AM

Eric
-Main characters - Eric, Death
Eric is the Discworld's only demonology hacker. The trouble is, he's not very good at it. All he wants is the usual three wishes: to be immortal, rule the world and have the most beautiful woman fall madly in love with him. The usual stuff. But what he gets is Rincewind, and Rincewind's Luggage into the bargain. Terry Pratchett's hilarious take on the Faust legend stars many of the Discworld's'most popular characters in an outrageous adventure that will leave Eric wishing once more - this time, quite fervently, that he'd never been born ...

Moving Pictures
- Main characters - Victor , Theda
The alchemists of the Discworld have discovered the magic of the silver screen. But what is the dark secret of Holy Wood hill? It's up to Victor Tugelbend ("Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little.") and Theda Withel ("I come from a little town you've probably never heard of") to find out..."Moving Pictures", the ninth "Discworld" novel is a gloriously funny saga set against the background of a world gone mad!

Reaper Man
-Main character - Death
Death is missing -- presumed ... er ... gone. Which leads to the kind of chaos you always get when an important public service is withdrawn. Meanwhile, on a little farm far, far away, a tall dark stranger is turning out to be really good with a scythe. There`s a harvest to be gathered in ....

Witches Abroad
-Main characters - The witches
The witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick travel to the distant city of Genua to make sure that a servant girl doesn`t marry a prince. But all they`ve got is Mrs. Gogol`s voodoo, a one-eyed cat and a secondhand magic wand that can only do pumpkins.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 06:07 AM

Small Gods
-Main characters - Miscellaneous, the History Monks
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was: "Hey, you!" For Brutha the novice is the Chosen One. He wants peace and justice and brotherly love He also wants the Inquisition to stop torturing him now, please ....

Lords and Ladies
-Main characters - The Witches, The Wizards
The fairies are back - but this time they don't just want your teeth. Granny Weatherwax and her tiny coven are up against real elves. It's Midsummer's Night. No time for dreaming... With full supporting cast of dwarfs, wizards, trolls, Morris dancers and one orang-utan. And lots of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place.

Men at Arms
-Main characters - The City Watch
"Be a MAN in the City Watch! The City Watch needs MEN!"
But what it's got includes Corporal Carrot (technically a dwarf), Lance-constable Detritus (a troll), Lance-constable Angua (a woman...most of the time) and Corporal Nobbs (disqualified from the human race for shoving).

And they need all the help they can get. Because they've only got twenty-four hours to clean up the town and this is ANKH-MORPORK we're talking about...

Soul Music
-Main characters - Death, Susan, The Wizards
OTHER CHILDREN GET GIVEN XYLOPHONES, SUSAN JUST HAD TO ASK HER GRANDFATHER TO TAKE HIS VEST OFF.

Yes. There's a Death in the family.

It's hard to grow up normally when Grandfather rides a white horse and wields a scythe--especially when you have to take over the family business, and everyone mistakes you for the Tooth Fairy.

And especially when you have to face the new and addictive music that has entered Discworld. It's lawless. It changes people. It's called MUSIC WITH ROCKS IN. It's got a beat and you can dance to it but...It's ALIVE. And it won't fade away.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 AM

Interesting Times
-Main characters - Rincewind, The Silver Horde
MIGHTY BATTLES! REVOLUTION! DEATH! WAR! (AND HIS SONS TERROR AND PANIC, AND DAUGHTER CLANCY)

The oldest and most inscrutable empire on the Discworld is in turmoil, brought about by the revolutionary treatise WHAT I DID ON MY HOLIDAYS. Workers are uniting, with nothing to lose but their water bufffaloes. War (and Clancy) are spreading throughout the ancienct cities.

And all that stands in the way of terrible doom for everyone is:

Rincewind the Wizard, who can't even spell the word 'wizard'...

Cohen the barbarian hero, five foot tall in his surgical sandals, who has had a lifetime's experience of not dying...

...and a very SPECIAL butterfly.

Maskerade
-Main characters - The Witches
The Opera House, Ankh-Morpork, is a huge, rambling building, where innocent young sopranos are lured to their destiny by an evil mastermind in a hideously-deformed evening dress. But Granny Weatherwax, Discworld`s most famous witch, is in the audience and she doesn`t hold with that sort of thing.

Feet of Clay
There`s a werewolf with pre-lunar tension in Ankh-morpork, a dwarf with attitude and a Golem who begins to think for itself. But for Commander Vimes, that`s only the start. There`s treason in the air -- he`s not only got to find out whodunit, but howdunit too, and he`s not even sure what they dun.

Hogfather
-Main characters - Death, Susan, The Wizards
Hogswatchnight is fast approaching, and the Hogfather (that jolly fat man who delivers presents to the kiddies) is missing. But it's vital that all the presents are delivered, otherwise the sun won't rise tomorrow. However, there is another supernatural entity who can be everywhere at once and, most importantly, knows where everybody lives. And Death reckons that with a false beard and a few cushions, it might just work. And while Death is busy working out the mysteries of climbing down chimneys and drinking sherry, it's up to Susan to track down the real Hogfather. It's a dark time of the year. There are monsters afoot. And some of them look just like us. HO HO HO. You'd better watch out ...

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 06:36 AM

Jingo

Something new has come up between the ancient rival cities of Ankh-Morpork and Al-Khali. Literally. An island, rising out of Discworld's circular sea.
Since it's uninhabited and claimed by both cities, Commander Vimes and his faithful trolls and cops are forced to deal with a crime so awful that there's no law against it. It's called "war."

But don't be alarmed. It all happens on faraway Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence politicians, and perfectly normal people occasionally act like raving idiots. A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

The Last Continent
-Main characters - Rincewind, The Wizards

It's the Discworld's last continent and it's going to die in a few days, except...Who is this hero striding across the red desert? Sheep shearer, beer drinker, bush ranger, and someone who'll even eat a Meat Pie Floater when he's sober. A man in a hat whose luggage follows him on little legs. Yes, it's Rincewind, the inept wizard who can't even spell wizard. He's the only hero left. Still...no worries, eh?

Carpe Jugulum
-Main characters - The Witches

Mightily Oats has not picked a good time to be a priest. He thought he`d come to the mountain kingdom of Lancre for a simple little religious ceremony. Now he`s caught up in a war between vampires and witches, and he`s not sure if there is a right side ...

The Fifth Elephant

Sam Vimes is a man on the run and if he can't make it through the forest to civilization there's going to be a terrible war. But there are monsters on his trail. They're bright, they're fast, they're werewolves - and they're catching up.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 AM

The Truth
-Main characters - William de Worde

The denizens of Ankh-Morpork fancy they've seen just about everything. But then comes the Ankh-Morpork Times, struggling scribe William de Worde's upper-crust, newsletter turned Discworld's first paper of record.
An ethical joulnalist, de Worde has a proclivity for investigating stories — a nasty habit that soon creates powerful enemies eager to stop his presses. And what better way than to start the Inquirer, a titillating (well, what else would it be?) tabloid that conveniently interchanges what's real for what sells.

But de Worde's got an inside line on the hot story concerning Ankh-Morpork's leading patrician Lord Vetinari. The facts say Vetinari is guilty. But as William de Worde learns, facts don't always tell the whole story. There's that pesky little thing called the truth ...

Thief of Time
-Main characters - Death, Susan, the History Monks
Time is a resource. Everyone knows it has to be managed. And on the Discworld that is the job of the Monks of History, who store it and pump it from the places where it's wasted (like the underwater - how much time does a codfish need?) to places like cities, where there's never enough time. But the construction of the world's first truly accurate clock starts a race against, well, time for Lu Tze and his apprentice Lobsang Ludd. Because it will stop time. And that will only be the start of everyone's problems. THIEF OF TIME comes complete with a full supporting cast of heroes, villains, yetis, martial artists and Ronnie, the fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse (who left before they became famous).

The Last Hero
-Main characters - The Silver Horde, Rincewind

With his ancient sword, his new walking stick and his old friends - and they're very old friends - Cohen the Barbarian is going on one final quest. He's going to climb the highest mountain in the Discworld and meet his gods. The last hero in the world is going to return what the first hero stole.

Night Watch
-Main characters - The City Watch, the History Monks

One moment City Watch Commander Sam Vimes is fighting a ruthless murderer. The next, he's thrown back 30 years in time when the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork is on the brink of revolt.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 07:01 AM

Monstrous Regiment
-Main character - Polly

The "Monstrous Regiment" in question is made up of a vampire, a troll, Igor, a collection of misfits and a young woman who shoves a pair of socks down her pants to join the army ....

Going Postal
-Main character - Moist von Lipwig

Moist von Lipwig was a con artist and a fraud and a man faced with a life choice: be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork`s ailing postal service back on its feet. It was a tough decision. He`s got to see that the mail gets though, come rain, hail, sleet, dogs, the Post Office Workers Friendly and Benevolent Society, the evil chairman of the Grand Trunk Semaphore Company, and a midnight killer. Getting a date with Adora Bell Dearhear would be nice too ... Maybe it`ll take a criminal to succeed where honest men have failed, or maybe it`s a death sentence either way ...

Thud!
-Main characters - City Watch

Once, in a gods-forsaken hellhole called Koom Valley, trolls and dwarfs met in bloody combat. Centuries later, each species still views the other with simmering animosity. Lately, the influential dwarf, Grag Hamcrusher, has been fomenting unrest among Ankh-Morpork's more diminutive citizens — a volatile situation made far worse when the pint-size provocateur is discovered bashed to death...with a troll club lying conveniently nearby.
Commander Sam Vimes of the City Watch is aware of the importance of solving the Hamcrusher homicide without delay. (Vimes's second most-pressing responsibility, in fact, next to always being home at six p.m. sharp to read Where's My Cow? to Sam, Jr.) But more than one corpse is waiting for Vimes in the eerie, summoning darkness of a labyrinthine mine network being secretly excavated beneath Ankh-Morpork's streets. And the deadly puzzle is pulling him deep into the muck and mire of superstition, hatred, and fear — and perhaps all the way to Koom Valley itself.

Making Money
-Main character - Moist von Lipwig

It's an offer you can't refuse. Who would not to wish to be the man in charge of Ankh-Morpork's Royal Mint and the bank next door? It's a job for life. But, as former con-man Moist von Lipwig is learning, the life is not necessarily for long. The Chief Cashier is almost certainly a vampire. There's something nameless in the cellar (and the cellar itself is pretty nameless), it turns out that the Royal Mintruns at a loss. A 300 year old wizard is after his girlfriend, he's about to be exposed as a fraud, but the Assassins Guild might get him first. In fact lot of people want him dead Oh. And every day he has to take the Chairman for walkies. Everywhere he looks he's making enemies. What he should be doing is ...Making Money!

Sherezade
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-21-2007, 07:04 AM

So it's a trilogy, but it's all into one huge book? Cuz everytime I go to Fnac I see a lots of books by that author and I never know what to buy TT

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
So it's a trilogy, but it's all into one huge book? Cuz everytime I go to Fnac I see a lots of books by that author and I never know what to buy TT
hmm Can't you borrow from the library or something before you buy?
There is the death trilogy and the City watch trilogy and the Rincewind Trilogy
Those of 3 related volumes into one book

Maybe siriz can read the synposis and decide which kind you wish to read?

*chus siriz*

Sherezade
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-21-2007, 07:12 AM

I think I'll do that =)

I never borrow book from the library, I just buy them *_* There's something that makes me happy about buying books. And for some reason, when I was a kid and used to borrow books from the library - well, I never seemed to like any :shock:

*chus Neko* :oops:

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I think I'll do that =)

I never borrow book from the library, I just buy them *_* There's something that makes me happy about buying books. And for some reason, when I was a kid and used to borrow books from the library - well, I never seemed to like any :shock:

*chus Neko* :oops:
i love to borrow books...
since i am so poor :P
takai yo
each book cos about 17 dollars
but then
with bookstores like kinokuniya and borders and so on which don't wrap up their books, i can be a norti cat and read up a bit before i burn any new titles
hehe

Oh did i tell you
On sunday i went to a bookstore warehouse bookfair
and bought over 40 books O+o..
99% of them chinese
Since the chinese books are going for 5 books for 10 dollars!!!!!!!!
and some of them are similar titles which i bought for about 17 dollars each T_T

Sherezade
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-21-2007, 07:33 AM

Oooh ~ Here in Spain you can buy books from about 6+ euros. Normally they're at about 8€ thought ^^ And I am talking about 'soft' cover ones ^^ A HP book, for example, would cost me from 15 to 20 , and the new one will be at 30€.

SO yeah, I prefer to buy a couple of books each month, maybe more, depending of the amount of money I need to save TT Cuz I can spare 20€ each month ^^

And I like owning books >.>;

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Oooh ~ Here in Spain you can buy books from about 6+ euros. Normally they're at about 8€ thought ^^ And I am talking about 'soft' cover ones ^^ A HP book, for example, would cost me from 15 to 20 , and the new one will be at 30€.

SO yeah, I prefer to buy a couple of books each month, maybe more, depending of the amount of money I need to save TT Cuz I can spare 20€ each month ^^

And I like owning books >.>;
me too XP
but i am running out of space to store them XP
hehe and must remmeber to get more book covers for them XP
hehe
i buy lots of mangas a month i think
normally a fiction will be 3 manga XP