neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-24-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPillow
*chus neko* <3 XD

I love Pratchett's stuff XD But saying which book I love best is hard. Very much so... Because it changes depending on my mood and what I reread and so on XD

Most loved characters would be Death (I adore him... I can't really say why XD), the Wizards (and how they keep squabbling XD Unseen University life sounds so good thanks to them. I'm talking about the ArchChancellor and his mates, not Rincewind. Rincewind kinda annoys me.), the Librarian (ook! Do I need to explain anything more?) and Vimes.
Currently very amused with the Gooseberry(TM) too XD What would you like me to do, Insert-Name-Here? XD

I hadn't read any of his books in a while due to lack of time - really didn't read much in the last year when I used to practically eat books. But during my last trip, I picked up Thud! at the bookshop and had so much fun reading it that I plan on getting whatever I'm missing, which shouldn't be much. Think Thief of Time was the last one I got before that.
*huggiez her pillowie*
we have such similar taste!!! haha
ii like gooseberry too? ( is that what it is call? )
en en
i think Thud is really good
Since i don't really like monstrous regiment XP
have been trying to find 'where is my cow'
but i can't seem to find it XP

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-24-2007, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae
the Gooseberry is a fine example of Pratchett humour, along with the iHum and 'clang'

if you met Ridcully in RL don't you just know that you want to give him a good slap pretty swiftly?
Hex sounds like good fun to me though, i'd like to see a conversation between Hex and Leonard of Quirm 8)

I think Death is a favourite of a lot of people, when you go back and read the Colour of Magic again he's got no character at all in that, you don't realise how much he's developed until you go back to the beginning again.

Think what fun it would be to have Mr.Pratchett as a dinner guest..
HEX!!!!
ahahaha
i want to see a physical version!!
all those ants LOL
en
a convo between HEX and leonard will indeed be interesting XP
THat is if vetinari allows the meeting O+o...

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-24-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink
Heh, Good Omens was a good book...

I don't have much else to contribute to the thread. :(
Why not take some time and read the synopsis of the books?
Maybe you can find one that will be interesting enough for you to pick up?

ChibiPillow
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-24-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
the Gooseberry is a fine example of Pratchett humour, along with the iHum and 'clang'

if you met Ridcully in RL don't you just know that you want to give him a good slap pretty swiftly?
Hex sounds like good fun to me though, i'd like to see a conversation between Hex and Leonard of Quirm 8)

I think Death is a favourite of a lot of people, when you go back and read the Colour of Magic again he's got no character at all in that, you don't realise how much he's developed until you go back to the beginning again.

Think what fun it would be to have Mr.Pratchett as a dinner guest..
Having him as a guest would indeed be hilarious XD If only to swap some "kitchen latin" references. (No idea if kitchen latin is a french-ism, as we use it to regroup all those quotes that are latin that people use without really knowing what they are saying or if it's even remotely grammatically correct. Because "Cogito ergo sum" so even if we're wrong, we're still trying to get some thinking done - and some showing off too XD)

Oh yes, iHum was great too XD And so many little references twisted out of our own modern culture and happily turned into Discworld pop culture XD

Strangely enough some of my own Uni professors had something very Ridcully about them. If you handled them correctly you could totally persuade them you were right by making them think the idea somehow came from them. So to me the head wizards of UU are very akin to their less magical counterparts >_>; Maybe I went to a special uni that was a hidden branch of UU XD

Neko: the bookshop didn't have "Where is my Cow?" either XD They only had a Hat Full of Sky and Thud! :/ was kind of disappointed but then their prices were outrageous - the joy of being one of the two bookshops in a ski station. So I picked Thud! because I have a soft spot for the Watch XD

A Brit friend of mine made me watch the BBC version of Hogfather XD They have Hex but don't think you actually get to see the ants. I still need to watch part two, the 1st one was really great *______*

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-24-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Neko: the bookshop didn't have "Where is my Cow?" either XD They only had a Hat Full of Sky and Thud! :/ was kind of disappointed but then their prices were outrageous - the joy of being one of the two bookshops in a ski station. So I picked Thud! because I have a soft spot for the Watch XD

A Brit friend of mine made me watch the BBC version of Hogfather XD They have Hex but don't think you actually get to see the ants. I still need to watch part two, the 1st one was really great *______*
How much is expensive?
For me it wdn't even be a choice XP
THUD! definitely
since i don't reallllly like tiffing series
though i will borrow from library and read

OMG!!
i want to watch tooooooo!!!!
Feed me sofia!!

ChibiPillow
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Expensive is 15 Euros a PAPERback ._. That should supposedly sold USD8 according to the publisher tag... I was really desperate for entertainment though so ended up getting it T____T;;

I didn't like the Tiffany stories either so stuck to Thud! and didn't regret it XD Bigger book -> more to read for bored me also, which was important at the time.

And I can't feed you cause the files are huge x____x Think the whole of it is 2Go? @_@ or more.

Airuin
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-24-2007, 10:56 PM

I've read about a third of the adult books listed, and enjoyed them all to varying degrees. My all-time favorite has to be Small Gods, and I really love the Witch characters from some of the other novels. Rincewind, I can do without all in all, but the books were he's featured are often amusing nonetheless (are any Prachett books not amusing in some way or another?). I enjoyed Good Omens as well. It was interesting to see how Pratchett and Gaiman interacted as co-authors in that book, especially since I was familiar with both authors' works in their own right.

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-26-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Expensive is 15 Euros a PAPERback ._. That should supposedly sold USD8 according to the publisher tag... I was really desperate for entertainment though so ended up getting it T____T;;

I didn't like the Tiffany stories either so stuck to Thud! and didn't regret it XD Bigger book -> more to read for bored me also, which was important at the time.

And I can't feed you cause the files are huge x____x Think the whole of it is 2Go? @_@ or more.
Holycow O+o...
where do you get them from?

i am not sure i have space for 2gb too hehe

whoa thats nasty of them
i mean even with shipping of everything
it shouldn't be so far away from the recommended prices

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-26-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airuin
I've read about a third of the adult books listed, and enjoyed them all to varying degrees. My all-time favorite has to be Small Gods, and I really love the Witch characters from some of the other novels. Rincewind, I can do without all in all, but the books were he's featured are often amusing nonetheless (are any Prachett books not amusing in some way or another?). I enjoyed Good Omens as well. It was interesting to see how Pratchett and Gaiman interacted as co-authors in that book, especially since I was familiar with both authors' works in their own right.
i must admit
besides good omens i have not read anything from gaiman XP

Victor Von Doom
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airuin
i must admit
besides good omens i have not read anything from gaiman XP
Remedy that. Now. Start with Startdust or Neverwhere and move on to his opus American Gods. Then try his comic series, The Sandman (I only don't recommend this first because The Sandman trades are damned expensive ;o; I can only afford to have the first 5)

ChibiPillow
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko79
Holycow O+o...
where do you get them from?

i am not sure i have space for 2gb too hehe

whoa thats nasty of them
i mean even with shipping of everything
it shouldn't be so far away from the recommended prices
Yup yup .___. English book/DVDs are very exp in France, much more expensive through French shops than if you're smart enough to get them from UK shops, who often give you FREE shipping to boot >_>

A hardback is easily 20E or more, but that paperback was even more exp than usual x_x They make a huge lot of profit and would even do so if they were ordering from the net and reselling =_____=;;; A shame, really, because translations lose so much :/

And yep, it's super big files XD; got them through a webby i think but was back last xmas so I don't really remember x___x Wish we had the BBC here >_>

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-27-2007, 06:35 AM

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
Maurice, a streetwise tomcat, has come up with the perfect scam. Inspired by the Pied Piper tale, cat and kid lead a band of rats from town to town to fake invasions of vermin. The rewards to get the rats out of town are plentiful. It works perfectly - until their little con game is sussed.

Imagine a million clever rats. Rats that don't run. Rats that fight. Something very, very bad is waiting in the cellars and the rats must learn a new word. Evil. It's definitely a rat-eat-rat world down there. In fact, that might only be the start.

The Wee Free Men
A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

A nightmarish danger threatens from the other side of reality . . .

Armed with only a frying pan and her common sense, young witch-to-be Tiffany Aching must defend her home against the monsters of Fairyland. Luckily she has some very unusual help: the local Nac Mac Feegle—aka the Wee Free Men—a clan of fierce, sheep-stealing, sword-wielding, six-inch-high blue men.

Together they must face headless horsemen, ferocious grimhounds, terrifying dreams come true, and ultimately the sinister Queen of the Elves herself. . . .

A Hat Full of Sky
Something is coming after Tiffany ...

Tiffany Aching is ready to begin her apprenticeship in magic. She expects spells and magic — not chores and ill-tempered nanny goats! Surely there must be more to witchcraft than this!

What Tiffany doesn't know is that an insidious, disembodied creature is pursuing her. This time, neither Mistress Weatherwax (the greatest witch in the world) nor the fierce, six-inch-high Wee Free Men can protect her. Inthe end, it will take all of Tiffany's inner strength to save herself ... if it can be done at all.

In this humorous sequel to The Wee Free Men, Tiffany has got to learn to be a real witch really quickly, with the help of arch-witch Mistress Weatherwax

Tiffany Aching, a hag from a long line of hags, is trying out her witchy talents again as she is plunged into yet another adventure when she leaves home and is apprenticed to a “real” witch. This time, will the thievin’, fightin’ and drinkin’ skills of the Nac Mac Feegle – the Wee Free Men – be of use, or must Tiffany rely on her own abilities?

[/b][/u]

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-29-2007, 05:34 AM

36 ) Wintersmith
At 9, Tiffany Aching defeated the cruel Queen of Fairyland.

At 11, she battled an ancient body-stealing evil.

At 13, Tiffany faces a new challenge: a boy. And boys can be a bit of a problem when you're thirteen...

But the Wintersmith isn't exactly a boy. He is Winter itself — snow, gales, icicles — all of it. When he has a crush on Tiffany, he may make her roses out of ice, but his nature is blizzards and avalanches. And he wants Tiffany to stay in his gleaming, frozen world. Forever.

Tiffany will need all her cunning to make it to Spring. She'll also need her friends, from junior witches to the legendary Granny Weatherwax. They —

Crivens! Tiffany will need the Wee Free Men, too! She'll have the help of the bravest, toughest, smelliest pictsies ever to be banished from Fairyland — whether she wants it or not.

It's going to be a cold, cold season, because if Tiffany doesn't survive until Spring —

— Spring won't come.

Sort-of related to Discworld Novels
1 ) The Science of Discworld (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen)

When a wizardly experiment goes adrift, the wizards of Unseen University find themselves with a pocket universe on their hands: Roundworld, where neither magic nor common sense seems to stand a chance against logic. The Universe, of course, is our own. And Roundworld is Earth. As the wizards watch their accidental creation grow, we follow the story of our universe from the primal singularity of the Big Bang to the Internet and beyond. Through this original Terry Pratchett story (with intervening chapters from Cohen and Stewart) we discover how puny and insignificant individual lives are against a cosmic backdrop of creation and disaster. Yet, paradoxically, we see how the richness of a universe based on rules, has led to a complex world and at least one species that tried to get a grip of what was going on…

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-30-2007, 03:34 AM

i have the Science of Discworld, it's most interesting, science for dummies in a way.
i like books that make the cosmos a bit more understandable to us mere mortals, read it and learn people 8)

neko79
*^_^*

Old 03-30-2007, 04:31 AM

Quote:
i have the Science of Discworld, it's most interesting, science for dummies in a way.
i like books that make the cosmos a bit more understandable to us mere mortals, read it and learn people 8)
i must confess though XP
everytime i read the science of discworld series
i just read the part by TP XP
i find that its fun to just read the part of TP all in a row xP and less confusing and able to enjoy better

the newest darwin's watch is funny XP

neko79
*^_^*

Old 04-02-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
well i guess XP
but for me i don't really like the "Science" part hehe XP
i guess i should reread it XP
since when i first got the book , i was more excited to read the TP part XP

neko79
*^_^*

Old 04-02-2007, 06:28 AM

2 ) The Science of Discworld II: the Globe (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen)

The acclaimed Science of Discworld centred around an original Pratchett story about the Wizards of Discworld. In it they accidentally witnessed the creation and evolution of our universe, a plot which was interleaved with a Cohen & Stewart non-fiction narrative about Big Science. In The Science of Discworld II our authors join forces again to see just what happens when the wizards meddle with history in a battle against the elves for the future of humanity on Earth. London is replaced by a dozy Neanderthal village. The Renaissance is given a push. The role of fat women in art is developed. And one very famous playwright gets born and writes The Play. Weaving together a fast-paced Discworld novelette with cutting-edge scientific commentary on the evolution and development of the human mind, culture, language, art, and science, The Globe presents a fascinating and brilliantly original view of the world we live in. The scene of the final epic battle is the first production of A Midsummer's Night Dream at the Globe Theatre...

3 ) The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen)

Roundworld is in trouble again, and this time it looks fatal. Having created it in the first place, the wizards of Unseen University feel vaguely responsible for its safety. They know the creatures who lived there escaped the impending Big Freeze by inventing the space elevator - they even intervened to rid the planet of a plague of elves, who attempted to divert humanity onto a different time track. But now it's all gone wrong - Victorian England has stagnated and the pace of progress would embarrass a limping snail. Unless something drastic is done, there won't be time for anyone to invent spaceflight and the human race will be turned into ice-pops. Why, though, did history come adrift? Was it Sir Arthur Nightingale's dismal book about natural selection? Or was it the devastating response by an obscure country vicar called Charles Darwin, whose bestselling "Theology of Species" made it impossible to refute the divine design of living creatures? Either way, it's no easy task to change history, as the wizards discover to their cost. Can the God of Evolution come to humanity's aid and ensure Darwin writes a very different book? And who stopped him writing it in the first place?

neko79
*^_^*

Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 AM

1 ) The Carpet People
The Carpet is home to different tribes: there's Fray, who sweeps a trail of destruction, and two Munrung brothers, who set out on an adventure when their village is flattened. The story will come to a terrible end if someone doesn't do something about it.

The story follows the journey of a tribe known as the "Munrungs", across a world known as the Carpet. Its resemblance to carpets does not end there; instead of trees, the landscape is a forest of hairs, and is littered with large grains of dust. The sky is only referred to as above and below the surface is underlay, riddled with caves, and ultimately the Floor.

The Munrung tribe cross the carpet to find a new home after their village is destroyed by the mysterious Fray. The origins of Fray are never explained in the book, but is possible that it could represent a vacuum cleaner, or perhaps the passage of feet across the carpet.

The tribe is led by Glurk, who is advised by Pismire, a kind of wise man who is trained in the herb-lore of the Carpet. Glurk's younger brother Snibril, however, is the main character of the book, and is described by Pismire having the kind of enquiring mind which is "dangerous". Snibril also has the unique ability to detect Fray a few minutes before it strikes - this ability manifests itself as an extremely painful migraine.

The chief source of metal on the carpet is mined from a dropped penny (a copper coin with the value of one hundredth of a Pound Sterling); wood is taken from a discarded matchstick, while another tribe, the Wights, obtain varnish by scraping it from a chair leg (the chair leg is known to the Carpet People as "Achairleg").

The story ends following an epic battle against the Mouls - a race of intelligent but devious ape-like creatures. At this point Snibril makes the decision to leave the tribe and to explore the furthest reaches of the carpet.

2 ) The Dark Side of the Sun
Dom Salabos had a lot of advantages. As heir to a huge fortune, he had an excellent robot servant (with Man-Friday subcircuitry), a planet (the First Syrian Bank) as godfather, a security chief who even ran checks on himself, and on Dom's home world even death was not always fatal. Why, then, in an age when prediction was a science, was his future in doubt?

neko79
*^_^*

Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 AM

3 ) Strata

The Company builds planets. Kin Arad is a high-ranking official of the Company. After twenty-one decades of living, and with the help of memory surgery, she is at the top of her profession. Discovering two of her employees have placed a fossilized plesiosaur in the wrong stratum, not to mention the fact it is holding a placard which reads "End Nuclear Testing Now", doesn`t dismay her. But then came a discovery of something which did intrigue Kin Arad. A flat earth was something new ...

4 ) Truckers - The Bromeliad
Book 1 of the Bromeliad series

Truckers, the first of Terry Pratchett's novels to be adapted for TV brings to life the story of the Nomes. 15000 years ago the Nomes crashed to Earth in a scout ship from the starship Swan. Generations of them have come and gone with the passing years and the changing countryside. Suddenly faced with extinction, the ten surviving Nomes, guided by their reluctant leader Masklin, must face many exciting adventures during their search for a new home and hiding place in the big, bad world of the humans.

They're four inches tall

in a human-sized world.

Under the floorboards of the Store is a world of four-inch-tall nomes that humans never see. It is commonly known among these nomes that Arnold Bros. created the Store for them to live in, and he declared: "Everything Under One Roof." Therefore there can be no such thing as Outside. It just makes sense.

That is, until the day a group of nomes arrives on a truck, claiming to be from Outside, talking about Day and Night and Snow and other crazy legends. And they soon uncover devastating news: The Store is about to be demolished. It's up to Masklin, one of the Outside nomes, to devise a daring escape plan that will forever change the nomes' vision of the world. . . .

neko79
*^_^*

Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 AM

Borrow the last continent from the library yesterday XP
reading hehe
ridcully ish so funny XP hahahaha

O p h e l i a
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-13-2007, 07:07 AM

Hard to tell wich of his books is my favourite, I red all his book [publied in my country, obviously] and I like really much all of them... I love the ironic way he talk about fantasy, it's a prefect metaphore of real life :D

My favourites books are probably the City Watch's Series, maybe because they were the first I red...

But I love also Mort and the ones of the Carpet People :D

neko79
*^_^*

Old 04-13-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O p h e l i a
Hard to tell wich of his books is my favourite, I red all his book [publied in my country, obviously] and I like really much all of them... I love the ironic way he talk about fantasy, it's a prefect metaphore of real life :D

My favourites books are probably the City Watch's Series, maybe because they were the first I red...

But I love also Mort and the ones of the Carpet People :D
not many people actually like mort XP
for some reason XP
hehe

i like city watch because of vimes and vetnari XP
hmm
the first i read was light fantastic i think

O p h e l i a
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 PM

for some reason XP
hehe

hmm
the first i read was light fantastic i think[/quote]

I really can't understand why, if it wasn't for Vimes and Vetinari [you got to love this two] it'd be my favourite...

Death forever 8)

neko79
*^_^*

Old 04-14-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O p h e l i a
for some reason XP
hehe

hmm
the first i read was light fantastic i think

I really can't understand why, if it wasn't for Vimes and Vetinari [you got to love this two] it'd be my favourite...

Death forever 8)
[/quote]
oh i like death
just not really mort XP
hehe
i like soul music XP
i think i like death but not his family XP
i don't like susan XP
which will explain why i didn't buy theif of time
(can't seem to find it anywhere at home)
i must remember to buy it next time XP

Miro_Sama
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-14-2007, 05:43 AM

Those sound like good books to read, I usually read something intellectual here and there. I don't like serious books all the time, but I love adventure! Oh, I wanted to say my names Terry too. xDDD I just thought it was funny to mention since you like that other Terry(the author)

I mostly just read manga...I think half of the teenage nation does now. I like tokyopops mangas because even though some are MADE out of anime but others are just created without any shows produced for it.

I really enjoy:
Juvenile Orion
crescent Moon
Broken Angels
Saiyuki
Dn Angel
Suikoden
Never Say Die
Fruits Basket
Threads of Time
Inuyasha
Wolfs Rain
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Sailormoon
DBZ
DBZ GT
Death Note
Love Hina
Princess AI
Angel Santuary
and etc!

Those are mostly some of the good books to read of manga, but my favorite right now is "Immortal Rain." I can't wait until I get more books of that and when they make the show for it! And I can't wait for the continuation of crescent Moon, Juvenile Orion, Dn Angel and the second season of Fruits Basket!