GigglyBipper
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-17-2007, 03:48 PM

I'm back in the center of the Dark Tower series... The Waste Lands. I have read five of them previously and now have them all in my possesion so I can read straight through.

* rubs hands together and giggles *

I get only a little time to read each day, so it is going rather slowly, but I am looking forward to the read.

I really remember enjoying Dreamcatcher... but I also think his short story collections are awesome. Some of them later turn into longer stories, and a lot make you go "Ewww!"

I remember (in no particular order) "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut", "The Jaunt", "Gray Matter" (Eww! Toss the funny tasting beer!), "The Mangler", "Quitters Inc" (sounds like it would work ;) ), "The Mist" and "I Am The Doorway" (*wink* *wink* *wink*) are some of the stories that are stuck in my head.

Hmmmmm... now I need to find a copy of Skeleton Crew and Night Shift.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Bippy i love 'Mrs.todd's shortcut' i always wonder what the critter that ended up caught in the grill of the car was though :shock:

'the Mangler' half scared me and half made me laugh my head off, the thought of a sheet folding machine breaking out and coming after you is so ludicrous, but if it happened, i wouldn't be standing around to point and giggle at it :shock:

'i am the doorway' was just plain freaky, i think the thought of an alien present inside you, that actually efected your thoughts and took over your body just doesn't bare thinking about!

these are all out of the same book aren't they? i think i've found tonight's bedtime reading!

another of my favourite short stories of his is 'spring heeled Jack' i wonder if that's in the same book too..

hope you get time for some more reading inbetween looking after the newest addition to the Bipper family 8)

zeroSenshi12
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-17-2007, 06:55 PM

I've only read one of Mr. King's short stories, "The Little Sisters of Eluria". I enjoyed it, but Mr. King's style and genre of writing really aren't my thing... heh heh...^^;;

Zorayas
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-17-2007, 07:23 PM

I saw the movie made of Rose Red and I rather enjoyed it even though I'm not realy a fan of the genre.

The only books I've ever read of Stephen King was the Dark Tower series. I absolutely loved them! Probably because they're fantasy.

Zarq
*^_^*

Old 04-18-2007, 03:54 PM

Stephen King is one of my favorite authors. I've read all of his books, I own all of his books and re-read them frequently.

I was a little disappointed with Cell, I thought it could have been much better. Lisey's Story was quite good though, definitely worth the read.

I think my favorite short story of his will always be Dolan's Cadillac. Now that's revenge. The Mist and Mrs. Todd's Shortcut are right up there on the list also. I can never exit the house on a foggy day without stopping to listen before moving into the fog. And that's why Stephen King is one of my favorite authors. I remember his books like old friends, small things in my day will remind me and I'll feel like I dd when I first read it.

I don't usually care for the movies made out of his books (The Green Mile & The Shining are the exceptions). Movies just don't have the depth his books do.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Dolan's cadillac is great isn't it?

i love his sort stories, they're often more off the wall than the novels, maybe because there's no peripherals to the tale, just the concerntrated juicy bits.

maybe for my birthday this year, i shall once again request the remaining Gunslinger books that i need to complete that tale..

Cyzzane
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Cyzzane Send a message via Yahoo to Cyzzane

Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 PM

I've only read a few I'm OK with his writing style I'm just not that fond of suspsense as a genre in writing. I started with Pet Cemetary then read Misery, The Secret Window, and Thinner. I know that there a couple of others I've read as well.

To my own dismay usually it's after I watched one of the movies based on his books. I haven't read IT yet - I'm already freaked out enough by clowns the last thing I need is to get further creeped out by them!

Deathflight
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 AM

Salem's Lot was a really good book. I couldn't connect the vampires into the story until later, but that's just me. xD
I really want to read some of his other books: any suggestions?

Menstrual Cramps
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Menstrual Cramps Send a message via MSN to Menstrual Cramps Send a message via Yahoo to Menstrual Cramps

Old 04-19-2007, 12:39 PM

I read The Cell, and sad to say- I was disappointed.
The plot to this one was mediocre.
I really just wanted to slap the main character and to be honest I rather have not seen my favorite character get killed off. She was the only one with a hint of a brain.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 PM

i've not heard of The Cell, is it very new?i'm a bit out of the loop with his new stuff..

Deathflight it depends on what sort of tale you like, his earlier stuff tends to be more scary/creepy.
as the books get longer the stories gain more depth and insight into the characters lives. but it's hard to suggest a book to others, because people's likes differ so much.
maybe jump in the deep end with something like The Stand? that will take you a few weeks to get through, and it's a great story!

Menstrual Cramps
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Menstrual Cramps Send a message via MSN to Menstrual Cramps Send a message via Yahoo to Menstrual Cramps

Old 04-19-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae
i've not heard of The Cell, is it very new?i'm a bit out of the loop with his new stuff..

Deathflight it depends on what sort of tale you like, his earlier stuff tends to be more scary/creepy.
as the books get longer the stories gain more depth and insight into the characters lives. but it's hard to suggest a book to others, because people's likes differ so much.
maybe jump in the deep end with something like The Stand? that will take you a few weeks to get through, and it's a great story!
New, boring too.
I don't recommend it, the ending of the book was quite annoying.
I wanted to beat the living crap out of the main character, he was such a coward. :(

Blooded
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-20-2007, 02:43 AM

[color=indigo]I just started to read Stephen King, but I'm already hooked! The first of his I read was Cell. I loved it! With all it's zombie goodness. [color]

Senri-the-dead
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-20-2007, 02:55 AM

If I wanted a nice scare then I love to King's work! IT, The Stand, and the Shining are my favorites.

sars
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via Yahoo to sars

Old 04-21-2007, 04:14 AM

I LOVE STEPHEN KING!!!

He is by FAR my favorite author! He's my moms too, so I come by it honestly!

I'm still working my way through the books, I have yet to read any of the Dark tower stuff.
I really really enjoy the Bachman books!!

My favorites by SK are:
The Stand
IT
The Eyes of the Dragon (sooooooo amazingggggg!)
Needful Things
The Dark Half
The Shining
Pet Semetary
Misery
Christine

I need to re-read some books I read earlier on in life... I need to re-read salems lot ect.

My goal is to read every single book by him.

I tried to start reading Geralds game about 2 years ago and I couldn't. I didn't like it AT ALL!!!

It took me about 6 months to read Misery... which is STUPIDLY slow for me- i usually read a book a week!
It was just so stressful for me to read, so I could only read it a couple minutes at a time.
But because of how much it affected me emotionally, it is on my list of favorites!

I really like the story of Bag Of Bones... until the last 40 pages or so. I can't stand to read it..... it hurts my heart!

sars
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-21-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menstrual Cramps
Quote:

New, boring too.
I don't recommend it, the ending of the book was quite annoying.
I wanted to beat the living crap out of the main character, he was such a coward. :(
I actually kind of liked that one!

sars
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-21-2007, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Dolan's cadillac is great isn't it?

i love his sort stories, they're often more off the wall than the novels, maybe because there's no peripherals to the tale, just the concerntrated juicy bits.

maybe for my birthday this year, i shall once again request the remaining Gunslinger books that i need to complete that tale..
I have only read one of the compilation books of short stories.... "Everythins Eventual" but based on how much I LOVE that book, I'm going to have to borrow the others from my mom!
I'm really really wanting to read "The Long Walk". Like badly!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-21-2007, 07:52 PM

i've just read the long Walk again recently, that's an intense tale! scary because something like that could ahppen if society changed enough, as is often the case with King's books, while they dwell within the realm of fantasy, there's a grain of truth in all of them, they just might happen.. :shock:

sars
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
i've just read the long Walk again recently, that's an intense tale! scary because something like that could ahppen if society changed enough, as is often the case with King's books, while they dwell within the realm of fantasy, there's a grain of truth in all of them, they just might happen.. :shock:
Like The Running man.
Written about 10 years before survivor even existed!
He knew reality shows would take over the airwaves years before that became the case!
creepy!

I want to read his new one, Liseys Story.
My mom recently read it and she didn't care for it all that much, but I tend to like the books she isn't fond of (like pet semetary and thinner.... all the bachman books as well)
Apparently his style is quite different in it.
I have a lot of books to catch up on... I want to read From a Buick 8.
The only RECENT king book I have read is The Cell.

Skaudie
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-22-2007, 04:08 PM

I read his Dark Tower series back in high school, (2000-2002) when there were only four of them. I couldn't get my hands on enough of it after that. Especially after I found out that it was related to other books that he wrote like Hears in Atlantis, The Stand, The Red Madder, and Insomnia. I was hooked, I became a DT junkie. When the other three books in the series came out, I had to buy them. They kept me sane (as ironic as that sounds) when I was underway on the Boutwell. The only thing was the ending. I know that he gave us all a disclaimer before hand, but still. He kept us hanging. But then again, how does one end such an epic piece of literature? My hat goes off to Mr. King...if I happen to be wearing one, that is.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-22-2007, 04:43 PM

i've still to read the last Dark Tower novel, actually i think i have 2 to go still, which is great :)

i like the way he merges stories, when i realised that The Territories were part of midworld i was thrilled, but will we get another follow on to The /talisman and Black House? i'd like to see Jack Sawyer put in another appearance. And Ted Brautigan, i was hoping he'd appear in Black House seeing as he got a mention, but that was it, just a mention, but i loved Ted
8)

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-15-2007, 01:42 AM

I've purchased some more additions to my King collection now, i've just read From a Buick 8 which was weird but still good, and Bag of bones which i really enjoyed, i do seem to prefer the tales that are set in his home territory. i now have Cell and the girl who Loved Tom Gordon to get through. Cell is intriguing me as many within this thread haven't been too flattering about, but i've never found a book of his that i trully didn't like. so we shall see..

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to EternalHearts Send a message via Yahoo to EternalHearts

Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 PM

I absolutely adore King! My favorite of his books is The Stand, which is super creepy because the first part could actually happen. And the second half gets more into the supernatural that he is so well known for.

I must agree with you Jelly that he is mis-categorized as a "horror" author when I consider his work to be more "suspense/thriller" and "supernatural" than horror, although some of his work can DEFINITELY be thought of as such. :wink: I'm almost done with Dreamcather, which is GREAT.

Morien
*^_^*

Old 06-15-2007, 11:09 PM

I really enjoy Stephen King. I know a lot of people think of him as sort of a grocery store author, but I like how his books always have a deeper meaning than the one that is immediately apparent.

My first Stephen King book was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and I still adore that one. I also liked Bag of Bones because it scared me, and Dreamcatcher because the characters were great.

I also read The Shining, It, Pet Sematary, and a couple others that I can't remember. I like his writing style, because it's pretty easy to just sit down and get into the book without having to wade through a lot of dialect.

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to EternalHearts Send a message via Yahoo to EternalHearts

Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 PM

The Shining was probably the first of this genre that I ever read, and it completely hooked me :D It's probably one of my favorite books, simply because King is able to delve SO deeply into Jack's psyche and the psyche of the hotel itself. Neither of the movies do it justice, although I love both of them as well.

Aninoe
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Aninoe

Old 06-17-2007, 02:50 AM

I adore Stephen King. XD Some of my teachers know me best as "that girl who always carries around a Stephen King book and talks to the author picture on the back cover." XD The first book of his that I read was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, which was really good, I kind of related to it since I was the same age as the main char. I love the Dark Tower series, it made me cry SPOILER especially when Jake died for the final time, I cried for like, 20 minutes, it was probably the only time I hated King. I also love his short stories, Children of the Corn (the movie makes me want to hit people), Everything's Eventual, That Thing You Can Only Say What It Is In French, etc. It was also fantastic. The Talisman, which he wrote with Richard Bachman, I have to say that is my favorite. I LOVE Jack. Black House, though, wasn't as good, in my opinion, though still fantastic.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Cell, which is one of my alltime favorite books. I reread it at least once every six months. It's just so plausible, I mean, practically EVERYONE has a cellphone. It's spooky and the characters are real and moving, and I loved it.