Aninoe
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Aninoe

Old 06-17-2007, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae
I've purchased some more additions to my King collection now, i've just read From a Buick 8 which was weird but still good, and Bag of bones which i really enjoyed, i do seem to prefer the tales that are set in his home territory. i now have Cell and the girl who Loved Tom Gordon to get through. Cell is intriguing me as many within this thread haven't been too flattering about, but i've never found a book of his that i trully didn't like. so we shall see..
From a Buick 8, that was a weird one, but it made me seriously consider police work, oddly enough. Cell is really good, I love that, and so is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I haven't read Bag of Bones, but I probably will in July when I visit my nana, she has a lot of King books and probably has that one.

soraxriku

Old 06-18-2007, 01:34 AM

Stephen King is my favourite author of all time and I have read Black House, Desperation, It, The Talisman, Roadwork, Everything's Eventual and Four Past Midnight.
My favourite one has got to be It, as it catches the spirit of children perfectly.
I'm planning to read The Gunslinger, Cell and Dreamcatcher next.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-21-2007, 11:52 PM

I like It for the same reason, it enjoy his story writing when what you're reading is just plot, the in between bits. like in It when the kids are playing in the Barrens, you could almost be there he describes it so well. He much be really in touch with his inner child because he can really portray children in a genuine way.

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to EternalHearts Send a message via Yahoo to EternalHearts

Old 06-22-2007, 12:40 AM

I just finished Dreamcatcher. It was such a good novel, but honestly, I think he kind of coped out at the end. I'd go more in-depth as to why I feel that way, but I don't want to reveal any spoilers.

Kattheif
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 PM

Stephen King ROCKS!!!!!
My favs:
Dreamcatcher
Dark Tower Series
Cell
Everythings Eventual

Chi
Dancing to her own beat..
Penpal

Old 06-23-2007, 02:34 PM

I haven't read anything by Stephen King (yet), but I thought I'd say something about him.

I live about an hour and forty-five minutes away from him. When my sister was in college, she accidentally collided with him in the supermarket. ^^,, She said he looks a bit odd, but I think it's just because of the image he has from the books he's written. (People tend to think he has something "wrong" with him from the things he writes... 9_9 I doubt it.)

He wanted to have one of his movies filmed in my town (it's on the ocean, much like in his other book-related films, and also as small), but the townspeople declined. I think it would have been quite interesting though.

King is on my "to read eventually" list. I love to read, but I always seem to have other things get in the way.

morrissey
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via ICQ to morrissey Send a message via AIM to morrissey Send a message via MSN to morrissey Send a message via Yahoo to morrissey

Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 AM

I've only read a few of his books, but I owe it to his novel "Christine" for giving my mother the idea to name me after the wonderful killer Plymouth Fury car. I'm pretty sure she never even read the book or watched the movie, but she loves the name Christine.

Zillar

Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 AM

I LOVE Stephen King's books! <3
He's one of my favorite authors of all time!
I'm always shocked when someone doesn't know who he is D:
I started seeing parts of some of the movies as a child(well I'm still a kid but like the 9-11 age) My aunt owned a video store so of course I saw the popular ones like It, Cujo, and Pet Cemetary.

Then when I got older I tried one of his books thinking it would be a boring horror that didn't even scare me. It wasn't scary but it had me hooked.
My first book by him was Eyes of The Dragon and I loved his world and the story so much.
Since I've read and bought many:
Eyes of the Dragon
Firestarter
Salem's Lot
Dark Tower series (whole thing, and it was just great)
Cell
Lisey'sStory (haven'tread it yet)
The Stand(still reading it)
Needful Things (haven't read it)

I really can't think of them all off the top of my head since I might put down a movie I saw but If I did that'd double.
Mostly I just have a large list of want to read:
Dreamcatcher
Talisman
Pet Semetary
Carrie
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Bag of Bones

But still, I love his books and everything about them. I even did a report about him in 8th grade. xD

What I love is the connections and shared characters throughout the books!
Flagg is like my favorite evil guy <3

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-27-2007, 11:21 PM

I've finally got around to reading my copy of Cell..i really enjoyed it.
Though the end left far too many loose ends for my tastes..i'd have liked it if he'd finished things up a little more, but i still really liked it.
and i was reluctant to go anywhere near my mobile phone for several days afterwards :roll: :lol:

Lady_Ourania
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 AM

I personally enjoy reading King's essays more than his novels. While the stories are very interesting and often become movies (or, in some cases, seriously overblown television series), his writing style very simply isn't my cup of tea. The only book which he wrote that I never regretted reading was On Writing, and that I received as a gift, otherwise I probably would have neglected to pick it up.

Runihura
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Runihura

Old 08-16-2007, 12:08 PM

XD I have a novelesk, all four of them are great books!

Katurine
Web Warrior for GrailKnights

Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 PM

Right now I'm reading Pet Sematary. I watched the movie some time ago and I really liked it, it was a really good horror, something that's quite hard to get nowadays. Anyway, I heard that the book is even better, so I decided to read it someday. On Monday I went to the library and just happened to stumble upon Pet Sematary and I rented it. I like it so far. :3

Rinali Lee
*^_^*

Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 PM

You are proved wrong indeed xD I LOVE his work. I was actually going to search or start a thread for Mr. King, and then I found yours. It pleased me.

I love pretty much all his books, and I'm on a mission to collect them all. So far I own:

-Needful Things
-Dreamcatcher
-Thinner
-The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
-Nightmares and Dreamscapes
-Everything's Eventual

...but I've read plenty more! D: My personal favorites are "The Shining" and "It".

You know, I don't really like how people dismiss King as just a horror novelist who churns out slasher after slasher. There's a whole deeper meaning in his stuff, like "Cell". Besies, not all of them are slasher/horro. "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" struck me as more...psychological/realistic.

One of my English teachers went up to Maine once and took a few pictures of his house xD You can definitely tell it's Stephen King's. It's like a victorian mansion type of thing, but the gate is SO HIM. I forget the exact design, but I believe it was a spider-webbed gate. Very lovely. I want a house like that. D:

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-17-2007, 01:19 AM

Yes, i've seen pictures of the spider-web gate.

I can't help but notice that all the King books i've read recently mention the TR-90. that's just strange!

Bag of bones was set there.
They end up there in Cell
and again in the Girl who loved Tom Gordon..

He seems to be coming back to his roots more and more in his most recent books. Which is good though, because i enjoy the ones set in Maine the most

Rinali Lee
*^_^*

Old 08-17-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae
Yes, i've seen pictures of the spider-web gate.

I can't help but notice that all the King books i've read recently mention the TR-90. that's just strange!

Bag of bones was set there.
They end up there in Cell
and again in the Girl who loved Tom Gordon..

He seems to be coming back to his roots more and more in his most recent books. Which is good though, because i enjoy the ones set in Maine the most
I've noticed that, too. xD

I do enjoy his stories that are set in Maine--before I found out he lives there, I wondered about it.

LadyKikyo
I am known on some other sites a...

Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 PM

I loved King for a long time, recently though (well maybe not that recent lol) his "style" has changed so much that it almost isn't like reading one of his books. The older books will always be good to me, but some of the newer ones I just cant make it all the way through....

ZombieKillerEx
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to ZombieKillerEx Send a message via MSN to ZombieKillerEx

Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 AM

Has anyone read Lisey's Story? I loved it. It is in my top 10 fave books of all time.

Gynne
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Gynne

Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 PM

I'm currently on book three of The Dark Tower series. My only real problem is that I can't put it down even though I have to read other books for my classes. @_@

My favorite is The Eyes of the Dragon. I re-read that a few months ago. It's the first Stephen King book that I read. I also enjoyed Cell...it was a bit unconventional, in my opinion, but I liked it more than I thought I would. ^_^

LivingIsSuicide
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to LivingIsSuicide

Old 10-06-2007, 01:34 AM

Stephen King? My favorite writer EVER!!!

What about his short story collections?

Nightmares and Dreamscapes (the mini series was CRAP compared to the book) and Nightshift! Some of the most amazing stories I've ever read!

I bought Cell last fall and have read and re-read it 4 or 5 times. Absolute amazing book, especially considering the "bad guy" of the novel!

If you haven't read it yet, you should! Same for the two other books I mentioned.

^_^

Fuumuu
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-06-2007, 03:09 AM

I've never actually read any Stephen King. <3

I can't say I've seen any films that've been created for his books either. :'O

xD;; I really wanted to watch 14O8 a while back, but then I decided that I didn't want the nightmares. >>;; xD;;<3

I do however own a few of his books (books I pick up that're interesting, but then I don't read when I get home because I think it'll scare the crap out of me. xD;; ). I own "Dreamcatcher", "1408", andddd... "Cell." xD;;<3 Please excuse me if one of these titles arn't by him. ^^ <3

I really want to read "Cell" right now, but I loaned it out to a friend and she's not done yet. xD;<3 But I do plan to read at least one before the next year. xD;;<3

Gynne
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-06-2007, 03:26 AM

1408 was a pretty decent movie, I enjoyed it. I've been meaning to get around to reading the book though. n_n

LivingIsSuicide
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to LivingIsSuicide

Old 10-06-2007, 08:06 AM

I really liked 1408.

The movie. I haven't gotten around to reading the book yet (I thought that it was a short story....*scratches head*) but I hope to soon!

Gynne
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 PM

Ha. Yeah, it's a short story. n_n;;

Jimminie Krickit
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-07-2007, 04:02 AM

I absolutely LOVE Stephen King and his works.
The Shining was actually my first SK book. I couldn't put it down.

Then there was The Stand. Saw the movie, had to read the book.

And the Dark Tower Series. My absoulute FAVORITE! I loved how he tied so many of his other works into the series. Like, the stand, The Regulators *and it's sequel that I really can't remember* The Talisman and the Black House. And not only his other works. I loved the Snitch of Death that was in one of the books. I laughed so hard, especially when they described Light Sabers!

1408 was good, and a lot of the stories in Everything is Eventual was too. Nightmares and Dreamscapes was really good and so was NightShift.

The Dead Zone was really good too. And Christine. though I did have a hard time reading Carrie. That was a bit too close for me....

But Dreamcatcher was good, like, really really good. As was 'Salem's Lot.

And finally, I am so sad to say it, but I haven't read ANY of his new works and it makes me so sad. I so want to read them. They look so good.

Jimminie Krickit
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble Me Orange
Stephen King is awesome. I LIVE NEAR HIM! WOOWOHOOHWOOOHOO! He lives about 4 hours away from me. He has bats (fake bats) hanging on the gate surrounding his house. His house is extremely creepy looking, and it has dim lights in it.

I love his writings. Movies more. One of the best was that split up Mini series, Kingdom Hospital. I love Carrie, even though I do not believe that one was turned into a book, or was a book to begin with. I also like that one..I can't think of the name of it. The one with Jack Nicholson and Shelly Winters? He's the writer?

Yeah. Awesome stuff. I read one of his books, I just bother with the movies now, because I love them so much. Misery is one of the best movies of all time. I really love that movie.
Carrie was a book, a book first, then a movie. His first published Best-Selling Novel in fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_%28novel%29