PhoenixRose
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 PM

STARDUST IS COMING TO THEATERS IN AUGUST!!!!!!!!!!!!
*faints*

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 05-02-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiawyn
I watched him read on his blog and I have to say that man is gorgeous. not neccesarily in looks, but I adore his voice, which makes the looks o so much better. Some of his short stories and poems aren't as good until you have heard them fall from the lips of the author.
Where can you see that? :O

I absolutely adore him, even though I haven't read that much by him. I started out reading Sandman and instantly fell in love. Loved Mirrormask, Anansi boys and Good omens as well, and intend to read much more. Golly, I love his writing style. <3

Oh, and for all you fans, any of you read Nice hair? (It gets even better further on, it's so great. xD)

Psycho~
*^_^*

Old 05-03-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiawyn
does anyone here like Neil Gaiman? I read Smoke & Mirrors and was captivated by his extreme...abnormalty? Anyway I thought he was pretty cool.

poem by Neil Gaiman: ((to the tune of My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean))
My grandpa sells condoms to sailors
He pricks all the tips with a pin
My grandma gives back street abortions
My God how the money rolls in!
Haha! thats one amusing poem XD.. I currently have a book by neil gaiman and somebody else (dont remember his name.. terry something.. maybe).

ljosberinn

Old 05-03-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho~
Haha! thats one amusing poem XD.. I currently have a book by neil gaiman and somebody else (dont remember his name.. terry something.. maybe).
Good Omens? That's by Neil and Terry Pratchett. It's awfully good, and funny. :3

By the way. How do you pronounce his last name? Is it 'gay-man' or 'gai-man'? >.<

raiawyn
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
By the way. How do you pronounce his last name? Is it 'gay-man' or 'gai-man'? >.<[/color][/size]
it's gay-man, although i have a tendency to say it gay-men.

to answer your earlier question, i found the video on his blog. here is the link to it:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/20...zy-sunday.html

it's wonderful.

ljosberinn

Old 05-10-2007, 02:16 PM

Raiawyn, oh my. Thank you very much. He has the most wonderful voice. I could listen to him talk for hours, that's for sure. <3

raiawyn
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-22-2007, 08:19 PM

Sorry for the delay but you are quite welcome. I very much enjoy Neil Gaiman's voice. He's pretty much amazing.

noirette
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-25-2007, 04:38 AM

I have to applaud that poem; I've never heard it before.

I love Gaiman's ideas & plots, but the Sandman series remains my favorite of all his work. I think comic form really suits his strengths, but I find it really admirable he chooses to branch out into other things.

The other medium of his I love are his short stories; I adore Smoke & Mirrors, with Changes and The First Murder Mystery being my favorite short stories. I've tried picking up Fragile Things but haven't been able to get into. Part of it might be the timing, but also there's something in Gaiman's voice in Smoke & Mirrors that is so sure of itself & young & cocky that I fear might be lost in later works. I think part of it comes from the fact he was still lesser known and he knew he could make mistakes; he also knew his stuff was damn good.

I like Neverwhere quite a bit too, although I have to say Stardust does nothing for me. I understand he's trying to mimic a very old way of storytelling, but it still lacks something for me. American Gods is better than Stardust but not as good as Neverwhere. I have to say, I always judge Gaiman's work by his prose, because it's very hard to judge his work on anything else. The strength and originality of his ideas is never in doubt for me.

Good Omens is remarkably good & remarkably funny. I tend to give it as a Christmas present to friends who read but aren't bibliophiles; I have to say that with Aziraphale and Crowley, Gaiman and Pratchett made two characters who will always last in my imagination.

trinxie
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-25-2007, 07:10 AM

My teacher got me to read Neverwhere last year. I absolutely loved it.
He's not my favorite author though

boredomkills
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-26-2007, 03:26 AM

I adore Neil Gaiman. And that poem is so many levels of awesome.

My first exposure to Gaiman was through Good Omens, which is still one of my favorite books, and I went on to read almost everything else he's written. But I'm actually only now making my way through Sandman. (I've never been much of a fan of comic book art, but the call of Gaiman was too much. XP) Now I'm hooked.

My favorite novels would have to be Anansi Boys and Neverwhere, and as for short stories... "Murder Mysteries" and "A Study in Emerald." I've also always really liked "The Sweeper of Dreams," too.

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 05-26-2007, 04:26 PM

I was in a contemparary Literature class and the teacher was always trying to get me to read her books. She had me read American Gods. I loved it. At first I didn't think I would like it but it was great. I finished it in two days and then went out and bought it. I also read Neverwhere and thoght it was great.

Evilconqueso
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-09-2007, 10:25 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about Gaiman, though sadly every time I'm in the vicinity of a bookstore, my wallet is empty.

Really want to pick up American Gods though.
Is it as good as the hype?

p a r f a i t
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 06-09-2007, 10:41 PM

I love Coraline. It's so creepy. And grey. And random. And eerie and senseless and not REALLY scary, but there's something oddly unexplainable about it. > _ < <333333

SurfAngel
n/a

Old 06-09-2007, 11:11 PM

the poem's funny, i luvd his book Coraline, it was so odd, surreal i guess one might say. I alao read his books The Wolves in the Walls, and "I Traded my Dad for Two Gold Fish, but i guess those are for younger readers, but still they r cool!

unwielding
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 AM

here's the perfect thread for me *snugs her complete collection of Neil Gaiman works*

Sandra
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-26-2007, 12:52 PM

Me and my older sister love his sandman series. Thou we both have read some of his other books ( She buys them and I read them after her. ) "Stardust", "Good Omens", and "Smoke & Mirrors".

My older sister is looking forward to the movie adaptation of "Stardust" while I am not to sure about watching it since usually the books are far better than their movie counter-parts. but will see once my sister watches it I'll ask about her opinion and depending on that I may or may not watch it. ( She's a bigger fan than me that's why her opinion will help me decide whether or no I watch it. )

Katurine
Web Warrior for GrailKnights

Old 06-26-2007, 01:23 PM

I love Neil! =D My favorite book by him is so far Neverwhere, but I also liked American Gods and Anansi Boys a lot. I also read Coraline. Pretty nice. *nods*

And the poem's awesome! XD

ljosberinn

Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 PM

• I'm finally going to buy myself one of his audiobooks, but I can't pick! Coraline, Stardust or Fragile things?? Please help me pick? >.o

I saw Stardust the other day by the way, it was fantastic! Can't wait to read (listen to?) the book!

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-14-2007, 08:48 AM

I really enjoyed Star Dust. Both the book and the movie adaption. And Good Omens is one of my favorite books.
I'd love to get my hands on Anansi Boys and I need to read Sandman. :D

podzy
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via Yahoo to podzy

Old 10-14-2007, 03:53 PM

just read Neverwhere, i loved it! Door is a fascinating character, is she in any other books!?

malkut
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to malkut

Old 10-14-2007, 06:02 PM

I'm rather a Neil Gaiman fan. I started with the Sandman series when I was in high school, and since then have grown to have read several of his books and short stories.

Did you know there is a comic series being made of Neverwhere?

Nahalethe
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 06:04 PM

God yes, Neil Gaiman. I just finished up Neverwhere the other day and now I'm reading American Gods.

@malkut - they've released the graphic novel version of Neverwhere, but it doesn't follow the book that much at all. I was pretty disappointed by it.

Noyin
*^_^*

Old 10-15-2007, 06:56 AM

Haha I have an obsesion with him thanks to a friend of mine introducing me to Sandman. I read more recently American Gods and saw the movie Stardust that I really need to get the book of as well.

Someone said something about his blog...what's the address of that?

Nahalethe
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-15-2007, 01:08 PM

Here's the original journal link:

http://neilgaiman.com/journal/

He's got an LiveJournal RSS feed too, if you have an LJ and want to subscribe to it.

Noyin
*^_^*

Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahalethe
Here's the original journal link:

http://neilgaiman.com/journal/

He's got an LiveJournal RSS feed too, if you have an LJ and want to subscribe to it.

Thanks hon! I can see some funny reading there :)