Elektra_x3
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-15-2008, 01:41 AM

Wow not that many posts in a while. >w<

Anyways, I just finished reading Coraline and I thought it was the weirdest book ever. :| I LOVED IT!! :mrgreen: I definitely want to pick up on some of these other books you guys listed. Really cool author, Neil Gaiman is.

katyasha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-16-2008, 09:51 PM

I have read all his Sandman series and read a few of his novels, there alright.

Ayaji
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 AM

I've been a Neil Gaiman fan since a friend recommended one of his books a few years ago and I picked up 'Stardust.' I absolutely loved 'Stardust' and read it about three times before taking it back to the library to look for more. Unfortunately for me, I can almost never find any books by Neil Gaiman. I've managed to get a hold of 'Anansi Boys' and 'American Gods' but have not been able to find any more. I am sad that my library is so small. I miss the big network of libraries in Columbus, where I could look up almost any book I wanted and reserve it online to pick up at the nearest branch a few days later.

I went and saw the movie Stardust as soon as it came out and loved it as much as I loved the book. In fact, I kind of prefer the ending in the movie, because it is happier. I bought the movie as soon as I could, and watch it whenever I need a mood lift or feel like watching a really good movie. I keep making my friends watch it, every time I find someone who hasn't seen it yet. Not only does it give me an excuse to watch it again, but it also introduces more people to the magic that is Neil Gaiman's story lines.

Ladye Charlotte
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 AM

I love the book Stardust, it is truly an amazing peice of literature. But I haven't read any of his other works sadly.

Robard
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Like malkut, I got into his writing through the Sandman series in high school. I don't remember going from there to his novels and short stories, but now I'm totally addicted, even to his blog.
I couldn't say which of his works is my favorite, although I've probably done the most re-readings of American Gods or Neverwhere.

Can't wait for The Graveyard Book!

Drakochan
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Drakochan Send a message via MSN to Drakochan Send a message via Yahoo to Drakochan

Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 PM

One of my friends suggested I read Good Omens, and then I picked up Neverwhere, which is to-date one of my favorite books of his. I almost ditched a class a few years back to go to a book signing of Anansi Boys in my city, but I wasn't as big a fan at the time.

I want to finish reading Sandman but I can't find the comics and I don't want to fork out all that money just right now! But I read them at the library a lot. I also just finished his single-comic work Last Temptation (I think) which was a collab work with Alice Cooper haha. That one's an interesting little comic...

I actually really liked the adaptation of Stardust to the movie, though. It was fantastically done, in my opinion. I mean, yeah, they added some stuff, and left some other stuff out, but it was still really well done.

Chib
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-06-2008, 03:28 AM

Stardust has to be one of my favourites.
The movie was so entertaining, and the book was just as great!
Which is quite unusual, considering how badly done most movies that are based on books turn out.

Baritone
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Ah! I love this man.
He wrote "Stardust" and "Coraline" which have both been made into a film.

The first book I ever read of his was "American Gods", I needed a book to do my Personal Study on and my teacher had told me too look for a book which had won some awards. Well, this one had won 5 and was the the author's preferred text so I thought "Sure, why not"
In the end I didn't write my Personal Study on it seeing as it's 600 pages long and I didn't want to read it again for fear of getting bored with it.

The next book of his I read was "Stardust" which wasn't as long and was nothing like the film but was still a lovely fairytale.

After that was his most recent book "tha Graveyard Book" which was amaaaziing, although he didn't explain much...

So, Neil Gaimen is pretty much my favourit author.

Does anyone else feel the same or have a favourit book of his?
And, if you'd like, you could recommend some for me to read ^^

Spring`Tyme Fresh
(。⌒∇⌒)&...
Penpal

Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Hi Baritone,

I've merged your thread with the older Neil Gaimen thread that was listed in the Book Forum Catalogue so that we don't have lots of repeat threads that clutter up the forum.

You can carry on your discussion in this thread but if you have any questions, you are welcome to pm me at any time. ^^

pandoraLKLK

Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 AM

The only book I've read by Neil Gaiman is Coraline. I <3 it!!! One of my favs.

Baritone
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Spring`Tyme Fresh- Oh, I'm sorry >.<
I searched 'Neil Gaimen' in the book forum and when nothing came up I just assumed that no one had made a topic about him ^^;
Thank you 8]

pandoraLKLK- I've always wanted to read that one, I watched the trailer for it and it looks so cool. If you see the movie could you say whether it follows the book or not?

Last edited by Baritone; 05-03-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Gossy
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-06-2009, 03:27 PM

I just found out recently that he's been divorced for a year! I guess he is really good at keeping his private life separate from his public one, and all that.

I got The Graveyard Book for my birthday recently, and I can't wait to start to read it. I think I have all of his novels, except his ones for children.

AgentKaz
The spandex'd wonder!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 PM

I so very very love Neil! I love The Sandman, and Good Omens, and Neverwhere, and Stardust... I love anything he does. He's an amazing author.

lslines
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredomkills View Post
I'm such a Gaiman fangirl. My Pratchett love led me to Good Omens, which led me to check out Gaiman too, and since then I've been hooked.
Exactly this. Good Omens is one of my absolute favourite books, and after discovering Gaiman, American Gods and The Sandman are also hovering at the top of my favourites list. He writes so well and in such a way that it's endlessly easy to read. And, oh man, the things that come out of that guy's brain...

I've read the things mentioned about, along with Coraline, the Neverwhere comic, and a few other comics... Mirrormask and Mr. Punch, I think? Mr. Punch was terribly confusing in a wonderful sort of way.

I can't wait til Coraline comes out here. Only two months left!

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 07-03-2009, 01:24 PM

I read The Graveyard Book and Mirrormask not that long ago. They were good, though I found that I didn't quite get the concept of Mirrormask, either that or the strange plot is how it is supposed to be.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 07-05-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossy View Post
I just found out recently that he's been divorced for a year! I guess he is really good at keeping his private life separate from his public one, and all that.

I got The Graveyard Book for my birthday recently, and I can't wait to start to read it. I think I have all of his novels, except his ones for children.
He's actually dating Amanda Plamer now, and he did the captions for her book that goes with her newest CD,Who Killed Amanda Palmer. Fantastic singer, amazing writer. I found this out via Twitter.

I just reread Stardust and I'm going to read Neverwhere next. I have a private goal of reading every book and series he's ever made. I love how he has dark humor with such fantastic worlds.

cydril
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to cydril

Old 07-13-2009, 05:39 PM

I love Neil Gaiman. Good Omens is my favorite book of all time and his collection of short stories Fragile Things is a close second. He is one of those rare people who is talented across the board, he can draw, write poetry, short stories, and novels, its incredible.

wolfbow

Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 AM

yay!! neil gaimen my two favorites are american gods and stardust but i really really llove the short story a study in emerald or something close to that its in fragile things and i forgot good omens

pumpkins
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-14-2009, 05:35 PM

Gaiman's great : ) I like Sandman and I just saw the Coraline movie. It was great too, I think I'll have to read the comic.

Im not sure if this is the right place to say this, but I think I liked Stardust the movie more than the book. And usually it's the other way round.
The ending was so sad in the book, and I do like happy endings. : D And the flying pirates had a bigger role in the movie, and I like also very much flying ships. And Robert De Niro was there in a dress : D

hollowmoon
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-24-2009, 05:05 AM

I love Neil Gaiman! His first book I read was American Gods which I picked up in an airport while waiting to fly to Mexico (God, like - 9 years ago!) I devoured that and had to read more of his stuff. My favorite books of his are probably Stardust, Neverwhere, American Gods and The Graveyard Book. Oh and I loved Good Omens too. I just started to get into The Sandman this past winter.

I love his short stories too. I'm a huge fan of the old Universal Monster movies so I loved those 2 stories that featured the further adventures of Larry Talbot. I wish he'd write a whole book like that.

Has anyone read Odd and the Frost Giants?

Last edited by hollowmoon; 07-24-2009 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: fixing text

Oscar the Wild
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-01-2009, 09:03 PM

Smoke and Mirrors-that's his collection of short stories, right?
Read Coraline a few months ago. That was very good.

Raimu Rai Rai

Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 AM

I read Coraline by him, (before the movie came out.) I was upset with how different the movie was.
I like his writing style.
I'm currently reading my summer reading book for school but after I finish that I'm going to read The Graveyard Book by him. My sister read it twice she said it was good.

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 AM

I haven't read anything by him yet except for the first volume of the Sandman- but I'm definitely going to. I know these are both books that have been adapted to movies, but I think I'll try Coraline, Mirrormask, and Stardust next. I loved Coraline's movie adaption, and now really want to read the book. As for Stardust and Mirrormask.. they just sound really interesting. I haven't seen their respective movies yet, though, so it should be interesting to compare them later. :D.

melusinia
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 PM

LOL I love that poem by Neil. I've never heard it before, but now I have.. heehe..
Coraline, Sandman series, and American Gods are good books. Even his picture books are freaken awesome--The Wolves in the Walls (or something like that) :)

LittleFox
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 AM

He's good, but I love the book he wrote with another author, Good Omens.